• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

bestdressed/ ashley

1265 posts in this topic

Posted

I mean, if it was also motivated by the social aspect, then I think it's an even bigger mistake. It's kind of like she may acknowledge she's socially awkward and that plays a role in how she has little to no real friends, but then makes every effort to avoid socialization? Imho she's boxing herself in in this way, which is just bad.

Also, let me just say Ellicott City is not a small town in the middle of bumfuck, it's like suburbia+some more city-ish areas plus it's super close to Baltimore and relatively close to DC, both major metropolitan areas. Not to mention, she could have moved to NY, which has many good film schools and would have allowed her to travel between home and school with much more ease, potentially easing some of the burden off of her in terms of being in a new place and having no one else and giving her a bit of a safety net. I was asking those questions because, imo, she had other options than to move across the country and to a school with such a minuscule class size and so I was genuinely curious as to what motivated her to make that decision. But I do want to point out it's not like she was a country farm girl from Iowa who moved to the big bad city of LA.....like her hometown is kind of urban suburban, I'm not sure how many people are aware of that or not but that's the reality. And again, I think if she needed more time/a few years to adjust to the new environment, then rushing through college was a bad idea. 

Listen, I wasn't saying what I said to shit on the poor girl, but in my experience and from what others have told me they have experienced, it becomes harder to make friends outside of college. Aka now that she's graduated, it will only get harder for her to make friends and she chose to bump up that graduation date by an entire year. So for someone like Ashley who has few (I'm assuming she has a few not necessarily locally cuz otherwise that's ridiculous) friends, a lot of her decisions relating to college and socialization there seem very unwise from my viewpoint if I look at it relating to friendships. Financially/academically, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and I do really respect her for that and honestly I've always been impressed with how hard she hustles. I just think that she as a person would majorly benefit from expanding her world through friendships and perhaps traveling, and it would help her grow as a human (and I say this as someone who has grown immensely from my own personal relationships, not as a way of saying Ashley is not a human or whatever). Where she is now, I see her as someone who is so career focused and so focused on her romantic relationship that she has just thrown everything in them and it just strikes me as rather unstable--if they break up, say, how badly will it affect her if she has few other people she can rely on? Not to mention, people who do Youtube tend to get sucked into the echo chamber of fans being like "YASSSS QUEEEEEEEEEEEN" for everything, which leads to little/no personal growth and most often regression. Why change if you can have 1mil people saying they love you no matter what (despite not knowing you personally)? Both, in my honest opinion, have the potential to end badly with no third part of the triangle: adult friendships.

So all of what I had to say, before and now, is simply that I think that video demonstrated more than ever that Ashley should really spend some time and energy and focus on finding and developing meaningful, adult friendships. Without them, I think her life is unbalanced and could easily have issues and is honestly a bit unhealthy. I also believe that if Ashley pushed through her awkwardness and stuck out the shitty moments, and weeded out the bad people, and sincerely tried to make real friends with the same energy she puts into her career and her boyfriend, she could make some wonderful, lasting relationships. I personally think Ashley is not some shit person, even with the fast fashion stuff and over-mentioning sex or whatever other things there are, and I don't expect her to be perfect. I just think to move into the next phase of her life she should take the time to "work" to make friends, and this is what I observed from her most recent video despite its focus on her college career.

Hidden Content

I agree. I'm not coming after you for saying that Ashley should have taken her time through college or has an unbalanced life for having no friends, I was just saying that her experience isn't out of the ordinary, and it's common for people to feel alone moving from a smaller town to a big city. I looked up the population of Ellicott City and it's 65k people. From personal experience and my university classmates' experiences, people find it hard to adjust to big city life coming from cities with populations as small as 900k and it gets harder the smaller the place they come from, even if they've frequently travelled. I agree that she needs to seriously make an effort to make adult friends, but it's also not the end of the world that she didn't have any already coming out of college. Few people keep their college friends anyway since everyone moves away in different directions right after.

As for why she chose to go across the country to live so far away from her support system, I just rewatched her college decisions video and she said that she only applied to big name film schools because that was her indicator that she would have a chance in the industry. And she chose UCLA over NYU because she genuinely thought the small class size would be better for her. You have to admit, getting accepted to a film school next to Hollywood that only accepts 15 out of what must be thousands of applicants each year is very hard to pass up. I'm not saying these were good decisions, just that she must have thought it was the right thing to do when she was 17/18.

Posted

sorry for the change of topic but I unsubscribed from her a few months ago because I felt a shift in her content that I just didn't vibe with anymore. like the production quality and content quality is as good as always (no one can dispute that she doesn't work hard) but idk I feel like even though it seems authentic, it doesn't feel authentic to me. Like she feels like a caricature of a gen z youtuber and I can literally see her "flanderize" her popular traits and exaggerate it till it becomes her whole yt persona. e.g. she realized her self-deprecating humour/ fast talking, sex talks/remarks and awkwardness made her relatable to her audience and they responded to it so she began showing those traits a lot more. I really think it was a conscious choice on her part to do that and it makes a lot of sense like I'm sure a lot of other youtubers have done that but like I feel it makes her more one-dimensional and tiring to follow after a while because it is such an "out-there" and intense characterization. So I guess my point is if anyone of you has noticed it too/ feel the same way or have unsubscribed or are thinking about it and why or why not?

i agree with all of this. very well said.

Posted

sorry for the change of topic but I unsubscribed from her a few months ago because I felt a shift in her content that I just didn't vibe with anymore. like the production quality and content quality is as good as always (no one can dispute that she doesn't work hard) but idk I feel like even though it seems authentic, it doesn't feel authentic to me. Like she feels like a caricature of a gen z youtuber and I can literally see her "flanderize" her popular traits and exaggerate it till it becomes her whole yt persona. e.g. she realized her self-deprecating humour/ fast talking, sex talks/remarks and awkwardness made her relatable to her audience and they responded to it so she began showing those traits a lot more. I really think it was a conscious choice on her part to do that and it makes a lot of sense like I'm sure a lot of other youtubers have done that but like I feel it makes her more one-dimensional and tiring to follow after a while because it is such an "out-there" and intense characterization. So I guess my point is if anyone of you has noticed it too/ feel the same way or have unsubscribed or are thinking about it and why or why not?

While I have yet to unsubscribe, I have found it difficult to sit through even just 2 minutes of her recent videos just because it doesn't feel the same as before. I definitely agree with what you said there, her overall persona in her videos just don't sit right with me and I feel like I've just been tolerating it before because her outfits and tips were actually helpful.

I have a feeling she's going to continue to plummet into a pit where she's forced to act this way in order to keep attracting new subscribers and fans since I do see a huge increase in her following more recently.

Posted

While I have yet to unsubscribe, I have found it difficult to sit through even just 2 minutes of her recent videos just because it doesn't feel the same as before. I definitely agree with what you said there, her overall persona in her videos just don't sit right with me and I feel like I've just been tolerating it before because her outfits and tips were actually helpful.

I have a feeling she's going to continue to plummet into a pit where she's forced to act this way in order to keep attracting new subscribers and fans since I do see a huge increase in her following more recently.

ya her channel growth momentum is so fast, I'm just waiting to see if she crashes and burns or sells out. So far, she still seems to be providing quality content although they have strayed quite far from her original fashion category videos to more trendy tags/ collabs/ about her and her bf. I'm curious to see if she will abandon the fashion aspect more or how exactly she will evolve from here. Gotta say, I'm so jealous of her growth (it's insane! her engagement rate (38%) on insta is higher than freaking emma chamberlain (26% i think)) idk how she did it

Posted

ya her channel growth momentum is so fast, I'm just waiting to see if she crashes and burns or sells out. So far, she still seems to be providing quality content although they have strayed quite far from her original fashion category videos to more trendy tags/ collabs/ about her and her bf. I'm curious to see if she will abandon the fashion aspect more or how exactly she will evolve from here. Gotta say, I'm so jealous of her growth (it's insane! her engagement rate (38%) on insta is higher than freaking emma chamberlain (26% i think)) idk how she did it

I think she'll start looking for other content to post about. There's only so many times a month that you can post about going thrifting and doing thrift flipping. Besides, I don't think she even keeps the clothes she finds. She seems to sell most of it on her store. Personally I don't mind the new kind of content. It's a little hit or miss (hit = her recent college experience video, miss = boyfriend tag) but one thing I noticed is that even during those videos her fashion sense has gotten way better compared to her past videos. Probably due to wanting to experiment more and having more time? Ashley's an XS living in LA so she gets away with some really flashy outfits, and I'm excited to see how her fashion sense evolves.

Posted (edited)

She definitely had a super idealist outlook on college and her desired industry, and honestly what rising freshman doesn’t? It seemed like after she became incredibly disillusioned with her initial experiences she began to downward spiral into a very dooming self-prophecy of not making any friends or socializing very much, especially from her literally confessing to hiding in the bathroom in literally her upper-div courses (the lack of awareness lol nobody cares what you do during break i don't know why she felt the need to hide there when she could have just stayed in class this isn't high school ffs)

LA is a really wonderful city with incredible people, and to be in such a selective program at a great school like UCLA one would naturally assume that she’d be able to make similarly creative film student friends. Maybe she was just overwhelmed with this city? (Btw, the area where she's living is literally so, so beyond basic and filled with IG baddie wannabes.) I actually have a friend in the UCLA film program and while this is just his own experience, it’s easy to strike up your family and create friends in that program. Of course everybody goes through “friends” and phases of figuring out who are your real friends, but her constant confessing of having no friends just seemed so … sad? She even joined that acting troupe (?) but it didn’t seem very fruitful.

In terms of career, I hope she can recognize the rarity and amazing opportunity of her YouTube job because it gives her such an incredible creative outlet that’s actually supportive lucratively and that really places her above her peers on so many levels. She can definitely make friends through Youtube as well but it seems like it’s just “do a quick collab with this high schooler purely for the views and let's not try to pursue any friendship” kind of thing.

Her experience was raw and relatable on so many levels for everybody, but I remember her offering to upload the video to help high school seniors decide on their college of choice. I know it was her personal experience but if I were a high schooler debating on attending UCLA I’d be incredibly turned off. The video itself was fine albeit really hard to get through, like what people have been saying — @msvegannoob was spot on. Most of the time I just skip around to get a gist but her content lately has been really painful to watch (case in point: her latest IG post that’s teasing her upcoming 21st birthday vlog … dear god i know that’s like a natural awkward response but why did it still hurt to watch)

Edited by champagneglass

Posted

I agree. I'm not coming after you for saying that Ashley should have taken her time through college or has an unbalanced life for having no friends, I was just saying that her experience isn't out of the ordinary, and it's common for people to feel alone moving from a smaller town to a big city. I looked up the population of Ellicott City and it's 65k people. From personal experience and my university classmates' experiences, people find it hard to adjust to big city life coming from cities with populations as small as 900k and it gets harder the smaller the place they come from, even if they've frequently travelled. I agree that she needs to seriously make an effort to make adult friends, but it's also not the end of the world that she didn't have any already coming out of college. Few people keep their college friends anyway since everyone moves away in different directions right after.

As for why she chose to go across the country to live so far away from her support system, I just rewatched her college decisions video and she said that she only applied to big name film schools because that was her indicator that she would have a chance in the industry. And she chose UCLA over NYU because she genuinely thought the small class size would be better for her. You have to admit, getting accepted to a film school next to Hollywood that only accepts 15 out of what must be thousands of applicants each year is very hard to pass up. I'm not saying these were good decisions, just that she must have thought it was the right thing to do when she was 17/18.

thanks for saying this! I grew up in Ellicott City too and honestly I don’t really like how Ashley makes it sound sometimes. Sure, it’s not like LA. It is a really small suburban town but it’s also a really affluent suburb with lots of exposure to Baltimore and DC like you said. But it’s also close to a lot of other metropolitan cities in Maryland. So yeah definitely as isolated as she makes it sound :/

Posted

She came off extremely entitled in her instagram rant about demonetization. I don't think she has the right to monetize the videos where she wants to have sex. I'm not saying she should refrain from talking about sex, periods and whatnot. I am saying she can't make a big deal out of this youtube system that isn't gonna change anytime soon. Just because she wants to talk about David's dick or make jokes, she can't get mad that YT doesn't want to monetize that. Her sex jokes aren't even funny or nuanced. It comes off super braggadocious and untasteful. 

Posted

I like the points where she brought up how ads for condoms and menstrual products could be used for the appropriate videos but her ~jokes~ are becoming increasingly super crude and obscene. Even when she mentioned the possibility of condom ads it had a proud undercurrent of "BECAUSE YOU KNOW, I HAVE SEX." I literally said "oh my god (bitch are you serious)" out loud when she really tried it with that gag reflex joke in her sad bday vlog. I forget if I read on here or on GG but she really is the epitome of a teenager who's new to sex and desperately tries to tell everybody about it while acting like they're so experienced. And the sad thing is that I was skimming some of the comments and the Youtube enabler echo chamber of high schoolers actually likes these jokes because they make her seem down to earth ... yikes. In her rant she really did sound full of herself ("I'm a big youtuber now but I still can't earn $$$ if I want to ~discuss~ real topics like feminism and racism!" like excuse me where) 

Posted

I think it's just a phase of her life she has to get through and mature from. Everyone was super cringy with their first sexual relationship and I'm sure having such a large following at a young age would get to anyone's head so she thinks what she speaks is gospel and absolutely necessary for the world to hear (but really, they're just sex jokes, you can calm down, ashley...). If she wants to build her entire audience and platform around other like minded high school kids who think that type of content is humorous and informative.. well.. go ahead. The rest of us can see right through her shit and will be waiting for her to grow the fuck up already. 

Posted

I was reading through, and I have been subscribed to her for most of her youtube career. However, as she grew bigger and bigger, her "quirky woke prosex" attitude grew too and it's annoying as hell. She is trying WAY too hard to be that relatable older cousin who tells you about her fashion choices and all the men she's currently fucking, and I hate it. I followed you for fashion, not for distasteful stale sex jokes. Also, whenever she tries to be ~w0ke~ and talk about current issues or whatever, it just seems soooooooo forced, and her "touching upon these issues" usually comes in the same shitty joke delivery as her sex jokes. 

Posted

I saw a comment mentioning about how she shouldn't feel uncool for not drinking alcohol and going to parties in high school but when I went back to the video, the comment was gone. Not sure if Ashley deleted it or the person did it themself. :S

Posted

Yikes in her latest video she comments on the fact that she's proud she owns the same shoes as Joana Ceddia. Who was just in a scandal of her own for saying the n-word with a hard r.