• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jeon Somi

375 posts in this topic

Posted

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/02/cast-of-give-me-a-meal-visit-former-ioi-member-jeon-so-mis-home

The clip from this variety show shows the front of her family home as of Feb 2017 - definitely a large, gated home, especially by SK standards. I think a lot of people forget that the average home size in the US is literally twice the average home size of most other countries (if not more than twice the average), and much much cheaper (it's a big country so there's more and cheaper land on which to build, the houses are made of wood and drywall which are cheaper materials than the brick and concrete of other countries, etc etc). If you compare it to Korea which is a very small country with limited land for development and a standard where most urban families live in apartments, this seems like the living situation of a very well-off family. I'm not suggesting that they bought the house on Somi's dime, but even I was surprised when I saw that they lived in an actual house and it made me think that maybe her father's or mother's careers had been very profitable in the first place.

Even when comparing their house to established idol group dorms, the thing is that those dorms are in apartment buildings so they're already cheaper than stand-alone houses. While the finishes might look similar (similar countertops in the kitchen, similar flooring etc) the price is drastically different due to them being apartments, and they're owned by companies who have budgets set aside for this kind of expenditure. They're also housing up to a dozen girls or boys, not a four-person family. If you watch I Live Alone or Return of Superman, you can see that other celebrities who have their own places still tend to live in relatively small or average apartments, rarely full two-story houses. I haven't seen any places on those shows that surprised me with their size or grandeur, but someone please correct me if I'm overlooking any prominent examples.

Posted

I did feel her dad is weird but not so much with her. I mean, aren't we a bit weird for sexualising their interactions lol... 

But he does go with her to variety shows and he's only been a side character or a tiny bit in Descendants of the Sun, so why go?

He did say that she'd cry at the camera because she said she wants to model and her dad made her take photos.. like, it's a kid's dream.. not that serious dude

Posted

I think when Somi comes out with her debut we can make a side by side comparison between her performances as an idol and her performances as a solo artist. 

Posted

I think being the "nations center" really inflated her ego. I think she wasn't getting everything she wanted out of JYP so she thought company hopping was the answer. She's always rubbed me the wrong way.

this is how i feel. she was humble in sixteen  but then when she won prd101 her ego went through the roof. if she stayed with itzy she would've gotten the group more traction and attention. plus she literally had to wait a few months for debut.

side mote: what makes her think that black label is best for her though? she isn't very badass and YG doesn't give a fuck about its artists unless they're male so black label wouldn't treat her as good as JYP did. 

Posted

Can someone who has been following her more closely explain how she moved from JYP to YG? Did she have an unusually short contract or did JYP release her? I haven't paid close attention to the kpop fandom in about 2 years but I know she hasn't been around long enough to wait out a normal contract.

Posted

Can someone who has been following her more closely explain how she moved from JYP to YG? Did she have an unusually short contract or did JYP release her? I haven't paid close attention to the kpop fandom in about 2 years but I know she hasn't been around long enough to wait out a normal contract.

If you check out Somi's Kpop profile, it gives a brief summary of her career, but I'd like to say she's been with JYP the longest. I'll give you a brief summary of her career.

She began her journey in 2015 when she was a trainee and competed in the audition program known as Sixteen, she was able to make it to the final round but was eliminated. That's the same audition program that formed Twice. Afterward, around 2016 she joined another audition program known as Produce101. She won the first ever season of Produce 101 and she debuted as the center of the group IOI, which was just a project idol group. They were only active for a year but they were also very popular but since they were just a project they disbanded and Somi returned to JYP as a trainee. A lot of people thought she went back to JYP was because she was gonna debut with another girl group this time officially. But then breaking news came in and Somi and JYP both came to an agreement to terminate her contract on August the 20th. A lot of people were shocked because Somi was their biggest star and could've made it big, but some people thought since Somi was such a big star she would overshadow her members like Suzy from Miss A. She then signed to the Black label which is under YG but it's run by Teddy. It's a big twist since the Blacklabel has a very different concept from JYP so a lot of people were surprised. She's rumored to debut around March but none of it has been confirmed yet. 

Posted

Update:

Screenshot_2019-02-15_at_10.28.20_PM.thu

She's basically just saying to be patient because she's postponing things so that they're perfect. 

Also Somi signed her artist contract under JYP in January of 2017, and artist contracts typically expire in 7-12 years. Considering she left after only a year and a half, I'd assume it was due to a serious issue. JYP giving her an artist contract was actually huge and showed that she really respected her, because it meant she earned a higher commission for her modelling jobs, got moved up from the dorms, and also basically confirmed she was going to debut (with ITZY). Also her posting that ^ almost right after ITZY's debut is just confusing and seems like she's making excuses. Something's definitely up and I wish I knew all the details. 

Posted

i'm not sure exactly what is it is but i've always found her to be off putting and overrated esp during ioi. i don't know if she'll be successful long term as a soloist, maybe at first due to hype, but frankly ... she's just average all around in vocals, dancing etc

Posted

Thank you for the recap @SimplySamy. Actually what @Jaken pointed out is what I was wondering.

Also Somi signed her artist contract under JYP in January of 2017, and artist contracts typically expire in 7-12 years. Considering she left after only a year and a half, I'd assume it was due to a serious issue. JYP giving her an artist contract was actually huge and showed that she really respected her, because it meant she earned a higher commission for her modelling jobs, got moved up from the dorms, and also basically confirmed she was going to debut (with ITZY). Also her posting that ^ almost right after ITZY's debut is just confusing and seems like she's making excuses. Something's definitely up and I wish I knew all the details. 

I knew Somi came up through Produce 101/IOI but I didn't really hear anything about her after that. I think her last appearance that I remember was on Happy Together where her dad was also on. Considering the news that pop up fairly frequently about slave contracts, unfair conditions, the kind of debt you incur for breaking a contract, and the sheer number of artists stuck in the basement/dungeon of limbo of big and small companies (even in YG, where she moved to) made me wonder why and how she made the move.

Posted

Thank you for the recap @SimplySamy. Actually what @Jaken pointed out is what I was wondering.

I knew Somi came up through Produce 101/IOI but I didn't really hear anything about her after that. I think her last appearance that I remember was on Happy Together where her dad was also on. Considering the news that pop up fairly frequently about slave contracts, unfair conditions, the kind of debt you incur for breaking a contract, and the sheer number of artists stuck in the basement/dungeon of limbo of big and small companies (even in YG, where she moved to) made me wonder why and how she made the move.

No problem, after IOI disbanded, Jomi has done some variety shows, such as 'Sister Slamdunk Season 2' and has also done some MC work. She also modeled for Rebook 's campaigns and is the Ambassador for WestSkills Foundation in the Netherlands. (Information found on her Kpop Profile)  Somi isn't a regular trainee, she basically shot up with so much popularity after winning 101. We've never seen, at least I've never seen, a trainee have that much popularity from an audition program, let alone the first season of that program. Somi moving from one major company to another is something a lot of us has never seen before so this has to be some rare instance where Somi was able to make such a move. Plus among all the Big 3, I feel like JYP cares most about his idols, and if Somi felt like she wasn't getting the proper treatment after having so much success as a trainee then the two parties must've come to a conclusion to let her go. Again this is just speculation so we really don't know how everything went down.

Posted

She's basically just saying to be patient because she's postponing things so that they're perfect. 

Honestly I think so too. It's probably more complicated then what the information that's out there about this says. 

Posted (edited)

OT but I really can't picture what concept somi is trying to do anymore. If she wanted fresh/cute/innocent concept, she shouldn't have signed with black label, I can't see Teddy doing that, and if she wanted more badass/girl crush, that's literally itzy. Plus, wouldn't she be the leader of itzy if she stayed since she's been at jyp so long? She's good as singing and dancing, but she doesn't really excel at one thing in particular, so she has no individual charm compared to soloists like Chungha, who's an amazing dancer, or Ailee, who has a powerful voice. 

Edited by mujiforlife

Posted

OT but I really can't picture what concept somi is trying to do anymore. If she wanted fresh/cute/innocent concept, she shouldn't have signed with black label, I can't see Teddy doing that, and if she wanted more badass/girl crush, that's literally itzy. Plus, wouldn't she be the leader of itzy if she stayed since she's been at jyp so long? She's good as singing and dancing, but she doesn't really excel at one thing in particular, so she has no individual charm compared to soloists like Chungha, who's an amazing dancer, or Ailee, who has a powerful voice. 

I really wish she had debuted with Itzy I think the group would have been perfect for her. :/