• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jeon Somi

375 posts in this topic

Posted

The second one isn't available in my region apparently but I'm sorry I don't see anything weird about the other two. The first one is very relatable to me cuz my grandpa would tease me and say I had fat legs and lighty slap them. It was like that and he barely touched her. The one with the drinks isn't weird either. The family seems super close and loving. A peck on the cheek isn't a weird thing within such families. Heck my family isn't that close at all and my father would make that face so he could kiss me on the cheek. This is just my opinion though. All families are different so it's not weird if any of your family doesn't work like that. 

nah, it was this other video where somi's dad were sitting down and talking with hosts and he suddenly started touching her. She seemed uncomfortable and if I recall correctly, she even pushed his hand away. 

On the topic of the other videos, the coffee gif was really sus too. Her dad reaching out for a kiss like that was kinda weird tbh

But I mean maybe it depends if your family kisses each other on the mouth or not?

But then again, they seems pretty americanized tbh (canadianized? lmao)

i dont know, my family is pretty close and i would be uncomfortable if my dad acted how matthew did towards me. but then again every family is different and we don't know the whole situation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted

I'm kinda meh about Teddy producing her songs since most of his songs are hit or miss for me, the worse would be her ending up with a BlackPink reject song.

About her father.... I always got the impression that he wants to live the fame through his daughters? Especially considering that Somi is really popular, but I started thinking this when I stumbled an interview that her sister did.

Posted

The second one isn't available in my region apparently but I'm sorry I don't see anything weird about the other two. The first one is very relatable to me cuz my grandpa would tease me and say I had fat legs and lighty slap them. It was like that and he barely touched her. The one with the drinks isn't weird either. The family seems super close and loving. A peck on the cheek isn't a weird thing within such families. Heck my family isn't that close at all and my father would make that face so he could kiss me on the cheek. This is just my opinion though. All families are different so it's not weird if any of your family doesn't work like that. 

I see where you're coming from

my dad sometimes squeezes my leg and calls me chubby or my dad playfully teases me/grosses me out with food. however, the sus thing(s) are  a) he has called somi "less talented" and has put her down on multiple occasions which kinda puts the affections in a weird place. b) this may sound racist but isn't he somewhat westernized? I really only know ethnic families who do stuff like this (which may just be my ignorant ass but idk)? One example is how men in europe/central asia can kiss each other between family & friends without the notion of homosexuality. Or how in EA, a little boy's private area being exposed is not as explicit and morbid, especially around family.

Maybe the father's grandma/grandpa showed the displays of affection like that and it kinda just carried one?

Idk and this is weird but if anyone is of dutch/german descent, pls shed some enlightenment about culture

Posted

Her dad is a total creep stage parent, he makes me so uncomfortable. He doesn't seem to mind grown men fawning over her in questionable ways as long as it means there's attention on her either which is just strange to me. I remember he also said that his younger daughter was prettier and more talented than Somi; I don't know, but he's just got a weird vibe to him.

Posted (edited)

They don't have a normal relationship: I mean, Somi's an idol who's lived on her own for most of her teenage life. During her downtime (the past 2 years) I know she's spent more time with them, but she was away from her family for the majority of 3ish years. I think she and her dad lack the relationship norms that a regular teenager and father have, and that creates awkward moments between them: she's his first teenage daughter and he didn't even really get to raise her.

That being said, he's making sure the family makes as much money off her fame as they can. She had an IG story about a week ago about being home, and man, her family's living big. Her living room was huge, her TV was giant, and to top it all off they had a mega big chandelier hanging from their high ceilings. Had to watch it about 3 times to make sure I wasn't seeing things because you always hear about kpop artists making minimal amounts of money. 

Edited by Jaken

Posted

here is 

one  (around 1:19 if the timestamp doesn't work)

another (16:16 he puts both of his hands on her butt while she is climbing)

different situation but a bit sus imo

I don't think it's particularly weird considering he's 1) white and 2) Canadian? I feel like a lot of the white families/people I know are much more comfortable with touching their family members without any intention of being inappropriate. 

They don't have a normal relationship: I mean, Somi's an idol who's lived on her own for most of her teenage life. During her downtime (the past 2 years) I know she's spent more time with them, but she was away from her family for the majority of 3ish years. I think she and her dad lack the relationship norms that a regular teenager and father have, and that creates awkward moments between them: she's his first teenage daughter and he didn't even really get to raise her.

That being said, he's making sure the family makes as much money off her fame as they can. She had an IG story about a week ago about being home, and man, her family's living big. Her living room was huge, her TV was giant, and to top it all off they had a mega big chandelier hanging from their high ceilings. Had to watch it about 3 times to make sure I wasn't seeing things because you always hear about kpop artists making minimal amounts of money. 

Do we know that she wasn't well-off before? Some trainees/idols come from well-off families (since otherwise it would be too much of a risk), and I don't think it's possible for her to make that much money off of just some variety shows...

Also, home as in Korea or home in Canada? (Just checking haha) 

Posted

Here's the story I was talking about. It's her home in Korea, and considering how high house prices are in Seoul, that definitely cost a pretty penny.

I don't know if her family comes from money, but her dad has some small gigs, her sister has some gigs, Somi has modeled a whole lot and her mom is really quiet/ out of the spotlight. Maybe her mom makes a lot of money? Or her family in general just has a lot of inherited wealth.

Posted

Here's the story I was talking about. It's her home in Korea, and considering how high house prices are in Seoul, that definitely cost a pretty penny.

I don't know if her family comes from money, but her dad has some small gigs, her sister has some gigs, Somi has modeled a whole lot and her mom is really quiet/ out of the spotlight. Maybe her mom makes a lot of money? Or her family in general just has a lot of inherited wealth.

idk man, they could have just renovated it very nicely? I have a tv that big and i'm comfortable middle class. Tbh that size and type of TV is just what's currently on the market. The chandelier just looks like a decoration. It could have been expensive, maybe. But The ceiling seems to be of normal height. Her house is definitely nice, but the living room seems to be normal sized too. 

Posted

...then pushed her in PD101 because she got so popular, then in Unnies, but got her just doing nothing in the next 2 years while the hype for her died, I'm glad she left, Teddy is a great composer and will give her something better than that.

I feel like you’re leaving a lot of details out to make it seem worse than it appears. JYP gave her a lot of opportunities, moreso than some solo artists and she technically haven’t debuted yet. Hell, she was doing better than Lee Hi. 

JYP rarely sends their trainees to competition shows, especially ones where they had to give up their trainee for a year to perform in a project group. But Somi was the one who insisted on being on PD101 and JYP allowed it. After the success of I.O.I, JYP signed her as an artist so she could get CF deals and other gigs to continue promoting her. 

2017 was her busiest year where she appeared on Unnies, Girls Next Door, various reality/variety shows, as well as features on tracks for other solo artists like Eric Nam and Jun K. Plus a bunch of CF and sponsorship deals like Reebok and Givenchy.

2018 was a bit quieter but I think that’s by design. The new GG was suspected to debut at the end of that year (October/November) and they wanted other members to gain some recognition so they had members showing up on Stray Kids, Mix9 and a few appearances on other media. But even then, Somi still had some CF work as well as hosting and performing at Music Bank.

So it’s wrong to say that JYP did nothing for Somi over the years. Considering that she technically is still a trainee I think they did a lot for her. Maybe a bit too much in comparison to other ITZY members.

Posted (edited)

@Beanbeazxc

oops I seem to have been mistaken and that video was at the BL (which also means she's still shading JYP?). I would edit the post if I had the option! But I collected some photos of her actual home from her IG and it's clear that her family has money, as big/spacious homes are almost always upwards of 2,000,000 usd in Seoul (anyone getting anything for less than that is usually "buying" it from a relative). She's posted other photos of her house but a lot of her old stuff is gone:

Screenshot_2019-02-12_at_1.41.59_AM.thum

Screenshot_2019-02-12_at_1.43.32_AM.thum

Her house being this big and new (either through being built or renovated recently) means her family probably has money. If they bought the home and it's a villa, I would expect for it to have maybe cost around $2,000,000 - $3,000,000 but if it's a single home with a nice gate and yard, $5,000,000+. Even if they're renting, a house like that is easily $4,000-$6,000 a month ( it could be ~$2,000-$3,000 depending on how much key money they put down, but it would have to be a whole lot).

@SEAL also she signed an artist contract under JYP around 2017, so she was being paid really well for her modeling gigs. It also made her leaving a much bigger deal, because artist contract terminations are serious and hard to go through whereas trainee contract terminations are frequent and a quick process. 

Edited by Jaken

Posted

@Beanbeazxc

oops I seem to have been mistaken and that video was at the BL (which also means she's still shading JYP?). I would edit the post if I had the option! But I collected some photos of her actual home from her IG and it's clear that her family has money, as big/spacious homes are almost always upwards of 2,000,000 usd in Seoul (anyone getting anything for less than that is usually "buying" it from a relative). She's posted other photos of her house but a lot of her old stuff is gone:

Hidden Content

@SEAL also she signed an artist contract under JYP around 2017, so she was being paid really well for her modeling gigs. It also made her leaving a much bigger deal, because artist contract terminations are serious and hard to go through whereas trainee contract terminations are frequent and a quick process. 

Looks like the average kpop group house for me tho? Like not SM/YG level, but CLC's was pretty close to that (you can search on yt GGs dorms and it will show up).

He was on Real Men with Lisa and in a drama (debuted before Somi, they made a joke about that) and her mom is probably working too, Idk but with all the family working (3/4 on tv) it seems okayish, since her father and her sis dont give a % to a company (like she had to do) they are probably making more than her with less work.

Posted

@Beanbeazxc

Hidden Content

It just looks pretty normal to me—her parents still work and either already had this place before she got popular, or had a different place and sold it for a bigger&nicer one, which I don’t see a problem with. There’s nothing to indicate that they live here only because of Somi. 

Posted

I wanna remind everyone that theres a difference between being an Idol and being a singer/artist. Tiffany Young and the J-Idols in pd48 have talked about it. Being an idol is more focused on personality and making your fans happy and less focused on talent (although talent is definitely involved, but the visual position exists for a reason). Thats why we say Somi would be good in an idol group more than a solo artist. She has talent but her strength of being good on variety shows makes up for any places where she might be lacking. The reason why she would suit Twice is because they are an Idol group, I feel like many westerners don't understand why they are so successful because we don't really have Idols here so they try to judge them only based off of talent. I'm not saying they aren't talented, just that there is a bigger focus on personality since they are specifically Idols. I think it is disadvantageous for Somi to be a Solo artist (sorry I feel like that's all over the place but I hope you understand the point I'm making about Idols vs singers/artists)

Besides that, I think she would suit ITZY's concept but I feel like their debut song being all over the place would have impacted her badly. The other members are well known but Somi is more well known as far as I know. I think that people would have compared Dalla Dalla to the i.o.i songs if she had been involved with both groups. Its not a bad debut but its not great for someone who had already debuted/promoted in a very popular group

Posted

I think her family comes from money...

Isn't her grandfather on her korean side the famous chef? Correct me if I'm wrong 

Posted

Looks like the average kpop group house for me tho? Like not SM/YG level, but CLC's was pretty close to that (you can search on yt GGs dorms and it will show up).

He was on Real Men with Lisa and in a drama (debuted before Somi, they made a joke about that) and her mom is probably working too, Idk but with all the family working (3/4 on tv) it seems okayish, since her father and her sis dont give a % to a company (like she had to do) they are probably making more than her with less work.

Not a group house though. That's where her family lives. At JYP she lived in a dorm:

I understand that from an American/western perspective her home looks normal, but homes that even LOOK that big and are new in a city as overcrowded as Seoul cost similar to what a big spacious, modern home in NY would cost. (Her house is also single family, as she has more than one floor to her home. You can see the stairs in Evelyn's New Years post).

I'm not saying it's wrong that they have money, but her dad was a model when he was younger, a part-time journalist, and then a makeup artist and actor/entertainer (which is currently his full-time job). He wasn't well-known in any of these fields, so either Somi's mom is bringing in bank from her job or one/both of her parents come from money. None of this is wrong in any way, but I just thought that I would shed some light on her financial situation-- she's probably "cushy" and isn't worrying too much about debuting because of it.