• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Jeon Somi

182 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Jeon Somi

Instagram

DX1duw1VMAAzod6.jpg

Basic Overview:

• Was born March 9th, 2001 as Ennik Somi Douma
  • Has a younger sister and father who are also in the spotlight
  • Did some CFs and TV shows at a young age
  • Trained under JYP starting from 2013
  • Competed in the JYP survival show Sixteen from which the popular group TWICE was formed
  • Won #1 in the first season of Produce 101 and was named "Nation's Center" in IOI
  • After the disbandment of IOI, did modelling and CFs, apparently wasn't very worried about debuting
  • JYP had a new upcoming girl and Somi was rumored/known to be its center
  • In August of 2018, Somi left JYP 
  • In September of 2018, Somi joined YG's The Black Label
  • ITZY, the group Somi was supposed to be the center of, is set to debut in late Jan-Feb
  • Reportedly debuting solo in March

Controversies:

Produce 101 / IOI Era

She was criticized during Produce 101 for her "rude/unruly" behavior after a clip of her interrupting another competitor's interview (Yoon Yeonjung's) was broadcast. 

somsomi.thumb.gif.7769b574906b8bad877f25

As a teaser for Produce 101's 6th episode, a clip which appears to show Somi trying to get violent with another competitor was used. The results of this clip were never broadcast nor talked about (0:22). 

During IOI, she was also criticized for how roughly she treated her other/elder members:

misc_1461951725_1.thumb.gif.caf264407c24

Her Dad (Matthew Douma)

There's been a lot of internet criticism to how Jeon Somi is treated by her father. On a reality show (Videostar), he claimed that her younger sister was more talented she was (said that Evelyn was 10 times more talented than Somi). Many people believe that he has used his older daughter as a means to propel Evelyn's, and his own, career. He has been criticized for acting like a "stage dad" and pushing them into entertainment at extremely young ages (5-6 for Evelyn and like 7-8 for Somi).

(^Dad saying Evelyn's talent is 10x Somi's) 

(^Somi's first gig at around 9 or 10)

(^Evelyn's first solo gig at 7 or 8)

Leaving JYP

Somi's dad and JYP released statements that they had terminated the contract on good terms

Screenshot_2019-01-21_at_4.53.36_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-21_at_4.46.10_PM.thum

but through liked comments, captions, and again, official statements, both JYP and Somi have been shading each other:

JYP:

Screenshot_2019-01-21_at_5.02.19_PM.thum

Somi:

Screenshot_2019-01-21_at_4.55.25_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-21_at_4.58.33_PM.thum

This back and forth between the two has left many wondering if Somi actually broke the rules, leading to contract termination, because just months before, she had been spotted with the now-members of ITSY

Screenshot_2019-01-21_at_5.11.32_PM.thumyeeyee.thumb.jpg.6b56ccb3e51058e7f073400

Things are pretty confusing regarding where Somi is in her career, not to mention the ever-present question: why did she leave JYP? Was she kicked out instead, like JYP's statement suggested? And if she was, why? Lmk what you guys think!

Edited by Jaken
added @Caeleigh's debut info

Posted

don't get much from her, but I must say, I was shocked to find out she was born in 2001.  She looks soooo much older than that (I would have thought 96-97 rather)

Posted

I really liked her and I feel like JYP did her wrong.

Posted

My issue with her situation is just that if she had just stuck it out, she would be set to debut in a group and concept that was literally built around her.... I feel like she was impatient and went to the Black Label so that she could debut quickly as a solo without realizing that her abilities as of now aren't solo quality (not to be mean, it's just when I watched her Berlin music performance I could appreciate her charisma and dancing, but her singing and overall control of the stage was kind of lacking). Now her group is set to debut and she's not doing anything, not to mention that YG doesn't even do variety and that's one of her strongest suits. I find this whole situation really sad for both her and her career.

Posted

maybe she was pressured and overhyped by her father (a wannabe Kris Jenner, it seems) and thought that she was going to get a debut and instant fame, which almost never happens

she probably joined YG thinking that the company was going to do for her eveything that was gonna happen at JYP, but faster, and without the hassle of having to be in a group first

i wonder what he reaction will be if ITZY end up becoming a really big girl group, seeing that the theme they have going on fit her perfectly

Posted

Somi was reported to be preparing for her solo debut in March 2019 under The Black Label.

Sources: Naver (ko), Soompi (en)

Posted (edited)

Somi was reported to be preparing for her solo debut in March 2019 under The Black Label.

Sources: Naver (ko), Soompi (en)

But didn't YG also say they would be introducing a new gg/ having a new gg survival show around this time as well though? Either Somi got tricked, or her debut is going to be overshadowed by this program/group, because literal days after she signed YG released these plans:

Screenshot_2019-01-24_at_6.47.38_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-24_at_6.55.56_PM.thum

Not only that, but Teddy is already showing signs of same song syndrome... producing for two groups and possibly a solo artist isn't going to be good for that and I'm worried Somi's going to get some BP reject as a debut track.

Edited by Jaken

Posted

But didn't YG also say they would be introducing a new gg/ having a new gg survival show around this time as well though?

He did, but I just wanted to add in that piece of information because for the intro you wrote "No sign of Somi debuting as of now" when some months ago her upcoming debut for March was in the knews.

Posted

Stumbled on this:

Screenshot_2019-02-07_at_5.21.31_PM.thum

check out the actual post here if you're interested

This is from allkpop, so take it with a grain of salt, but apparently her debut has been moved from first quarter to second quarter. This is the first setback, and I can only imagine there will only be more since this is YG we're talking about. Maybe it was to give her debut some distance from ITZY's?

Posted

Stumbled on this:

Screenshot_2019-02-07_at_5.21.31_PM.thum

check out the actual post here if you're interested

This is from allkpop, so take it with a grain of salt, but apparently her debut has been moved from first quarter to second quarter. This is the first setback, and I can only imagine there will only be more since this is YG we're talking about. Maybe it was to give her debut some distance from ITZY's?

I wish she hadn't gone to YG he's even worse. t-t 

Posted

i have a bad feeling of somi being in YG.

she'll rarely promote or have comebacks..

Posted (edited)

Was just sifting through reddit and I'm sad to say that Somi's debut was probably pushed back because of an upcoming Black Pink comeback (+EP), and that in the end her debut will probably be overshadowed by Black Pink's activities, as well as other YG artists' comebacks. 

Screenshot_2019-02-08_at_7.42.55_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-02-08_at_7.43.39_PM.thum

It looks like 2019 is a busy year for YG, which means it's a busy year for Teddy too. With all of this, I'm just worried that Somi is going to get a Black Pink reject song that will end up making her look like she's trying to be the solo version of their group AND simultaneously be forced to perform a sub-par track. The whole reason Somi went to the Black Label (based on what was reported) was to debut quickly. Right now this is looking like it was a mistake, but I hope that an amazing debut will change my mind....

ALSO, YG hasn't really had a solo performance artist, so I wonder how he's going to handle the dancing aspect of Somi's songs, as she isn't a strong vocalist to begin with and her dancing is the key part of her performance. 

Edited by Jaken

Posted

Man, she had a perfect chance to become a k-idol and she let her ego get the better of her. YG is the most shady company out of the Big Three.

Posted

She would have been better off with Itzy imo. JYP probably took a while to debut them to get the other members' name out there so Itzy wouldn't end up being Somi & friends like how some post-IOI groups have become.

The Black Label are also planning to debut a girl group (who knows when) too and if she's most likely going to be a soloist, there's barely any room for her to promote alongside other YG artists. 

Posted

yg is not a place to escape to, it's a place to flee from

i hope that she manages to get decent promotional time, somi is talented, and i do want her to debut, even though i'd prefer her in a group