• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

SuperRaeDizzle/rae_dizzle_

57 posts in this topic

Posted

SuperRaeDizzle

picture.thumb.PNG.56627463a396872d87e407

YouTube // Instagram // Twitter // Second Instagram

Rae H. is a 25 year-old American Youtuber, who makes art and drawing related content.

She has a bachelor's degree in visual art from Eastern New Mexico University and since she graduated in 2016, she has been posting more Youtube videos and her follower base has grown substantially. She primarily uses traditional media for her art and many of her videos are about comparing cheap art supplies with expensive ones, or about trying out art hacks.

----

I personally haven't seen that many of her videos, but there are a few things that caught my attention: 

• She seems to mostly copy photos and heavily relies on references, but doesn't say so most of the time. I don't think there's anything wrong with using references, on the contrary, I think it's important for artists to use references to improve, but to me it seems like she just copies what she sees without learning from it.
  • In many of her videos in which she compares art supplies, she seems to be very biased and it looks like she doesn't even try to properly use the art supplies she doesn't like. For example, compare this to this.
  • Her content comes across as a bit clickbait-y with the titles and thumbnails.
  • She sometimes has no idea what she's talking about and criticizes the tools she's using, even though she's the one at fault. Example: her watercolor video.

And lastly, the main reason that led me to making this thread, is because one of her storenvy listings got posted on the delusional artists subreddit. This was the second time within a few weeks her art popped up on there. Here's the art in question:

ozvuq26ocga21.thumb.jpg.f466f30919558fb2

Now, whether this artwork is worth 200$ or not is kind of subjective, but someone in the comment section pointed out that this was basically just copied from a dollmaker app. Here's the comparison picture I grabbed from that person's comment:

6v9sOIU.thumb.png.2925b7c8471c980be5e36b

She has deleted both the storenvy listing and the post of this painting on her instagram since then. This is what she said on twitter about the whole thing:

rae_twitter.thumb.PNG.2d0959d53013077bfb

I also noticed that she drew the exact same headshot in her Drawing With The Longest Fake Nails I Could Find video, which is weird imo. It's almost like she has no creativity and own ideas....

In any case, what are your opinions on her? Do you guys like her and her art, or not so much?
(I'm just gonna go ahead and put my own thoughts under a spoiler)

To me Rae seems like a nice person and I'm a sucker for the kind of (admittedly cheap) content she makes. At the same time, I just don't think her art is good. Like, it's not horrible, but it's very boring and uninspired. I think if she put in a bit more effort and didn't just copy images 1:1, she would definitely be able to improve. As it is though, I really don't see anything special about her drawings. 
I also find it kind of weird that she's trying to teach people how to do certain things, even though she can't do them well herself. Like, I'd never try and teach someone how to use watercolors because I don't use them very often and I'm not good with them. But for some reason Rae doesn't seem to worry about that kind of thing.

Posted (edited)

I think her own art (not the ones where she references off photos), is boring and unoriginal. She doesn't seem too well versed in creating original art. There's a HUGE difference between drawing things imagined straight from your mind, to drawing realistic photos.

I think she should practice more on anatomy, and I think her line work is sloppy and can be improved. I may be being harsh but she's just one of those artists who can't create her own art. That fact that she tried selling a piece of copied artwork from an app for $200 is ridiculous. A rendition is an interpretation, not a straight up copied artwork. 

Edited by peachjar

Posted

literally h o w does this girl have an art degree? That painting she's selling for $200 looks like something a 12/13 year old draws!

Posted

Okay, so I think her storenvy listing was misinterpreted (when I see original next to a piece of artwork, I don't immediately think creative as much as I do "not a print"), but I do think it's shady that she didn't mention that she referenced something and that it didn't come from her brain. It's a pretty mediocre painting anyways. 

She's honestly fairly good at hyperrealistic object drawings, but the rest of her art seems so amateur-ish to me. I'm really surprised she got a degree in art, since she still struggles with perspective and getting the right balance on drawing a face. 

Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_1.19.03_PM.thu

And doing hyperrealistic drawings is an art within itself (look up Marcello Barenghi) but I'm surprised this girl even has a following considering she's not even that good at it. 

Posted

I guess she has a following because she has entertaining value, not necessarily skills. It's always sad to see those with the biggest mouths get the most attention over those with skills and quality work.

Posted

I just watched this video and the way she sketches reminds me of a toddler doodling with crayons. Everything's so messy and it's almost like she has no control of how much pressure she uses...  :alpacafedup:

Posted

Oh shit, I thought she was an amature artist. I didn't know she had a degree! I'm not really up to date with her videos since the last one of hers I watched was the 100 year old sketchbook video where people were getting mad at her for touching the sketchbook without gloves on and her saying that she wanted to colour in the original sketches. 

Personally, I think Rae's strongest skill is her colouring, from the art of her's that I've seen she's pretty good at colouring but her perspective is a little whack and she relies too heavily on references (I do too tho:alpacadone:), also IMO it's a bad idea to sell art that's refferenced to the point where its practically a photostudy. If she had made that character in the app then drew it in a different pose or whatever then I could get behind that, also I don't think anyone would pay $200 for it, sorry Rae. 

Posted

OMG i such a huge follower of her i did not expect her to do such things

(i also think her art isnt that great but her vids entertain me tho)

Posted

I think she was essentially taught how to copy reality, rather than how to actually understand anatomy/shading/etc. It seems she's okay at recreating what is there, but she does not truly UNDERSTAND it -- she can't use that information in any new and creative way. Her art is not dynamic. Photostudies are fun and fine, but they do require more skill and less actual creativity. She seems to lean on references to the point of missing out on a lot of chances to improve. If you look at her art school projects videos, she did not seem serious about art school AT ALL. She didn't really seem to apply herself, and just did her assignments at the last minute with minimal effort (she admits this.) Her art was also worse than mine, someone who draws maybe a couple times a month lmao.

Also, the 100-year-old sketchbook made me uncomfortable. I feel it ruins the whole idea if you alter the sketches. It's just a modern sketchbook now! What's the point? 

Irregardless, I like her and her clickbait videos. They're fun to watch, and a bit silly. Don't take her too seriously -- she's not a serious art channel. Those exist, and that's not her branding. It's just fun arts-and-crafts style. 

Posted

I think her channel is fun for like...tweens who don't try to draw at a professional level but her actual skills are on par with a high schooler (in my country, so like 11-16 years). Copying a photo isn't as hard as some people who don't do art think it is. I don't think anyone serious about art should really bother trying to get any good advice from her, but a person, she seems pretty harmless. (Seriously though, $200 for that?? Looks like something a 12 year old did.)

Posted

four years of art education and she creates pretty low quality and disproportionate pieces. gotta get a refund on that tuition 

Posted

She posted a new video in which she tries to go out of her comfort zone! I watched it earlier and while I think that the drawings is.... not great, I do appreciate how open and honest she is about being bad at this stuff. I hope she sticks with it and keeps trying to improve! :alpacaheadshake:

(But she really should've used a bowl or something to draw the damn circle. There's a reason why most people wouldn't free-hand a circle in a serious illustration...)

Posted

I mean if you draw like that after 4 years of art education, I don't give her much hope for improvement, unless I have a completely wrong idea of what her education was like.

Posted

She posted a new video in which she tries to go out of her comfort zone! I watched it earlier and while I think that the drawings is.... not great, I do appreciate how open and honest she is about being bad at this stuff. I hope she sticks with it and keeps trying to improve! :alpacaheadshake:

(But she really should've used a bowl or something to draw the damn circle. There's a reason why most people wouldn't free-hand a circle in a serious illustration...)

Lmaooooo I was waiting for her to fix the neck and it's like so obvious how off it is but she just kept ignoring it. A neck like that is more for a caricature then an illustration and if she can't tell the difference between those after 4 years of art studies, idk what to tell ya.

Posted (edited)

To be honest i kind of wanted to talk about her already. At first glance her art might be fine and even look professional, but her tutorials sometimes are kind of amateur-ish and her tips are not that good either (judging based on her followers) Her art is not that bad, but she's the kind of artist that's famous, makes tutorials and actually doesn't help anyone at all. It'll make all her viewers anatomy and perspective wack. Also her artwork for 200$ doesn't even look like it was made by someone with an art degree? Is it old artwork or something??

Edited by Mojito.avi
i forgot a comma <3