• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

College roommate issues?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

My second year living in a dorm away at college. My second year having issues with roommates. General rundown:

1st year: Roommates were completely unhygenic and ran everyone out of the room. We all got moved second semester.

2nd year: Roommates are extremely entitled. They brought 0 furniture for the dorm (but they asked us to even though we get a couch and table etc). One roommate transfers, they basically drive two others out and they take furniture with them. Then they come to ME expecting me to buy furniture. They've broken my makeup, ate my food, threw away a friend of mine's clothing, acted like I didn't exist for almost 2 months and excluded me from so much. But they come into my room and hint they want my TV. Then the only time they text me over break is to ask what I'm bringing that they need. I like to share, but I was basically bullied out of using our living room so I have NEVER used any of their stuff. And I even bought 150+ kitchen sized garbage bags and they used them all in a month. I do my own trash, clean after myself etc.

The issue: the RD gets PISSED if you try to move and after all the drama they caused with the other roommates she hates our entire cluster. And I can't live off campus because my scholarship dictates I live in the dorm. Does anyone have any advice on what to do???

Posted

What is a RD?

Posted

What is a RD?

Resident Director! The person over the dorm

Posted

Thanks, I commuted to college so never experienced that dorm life. Could you transfer rooms?

Posted

Cant you tell your RD the situation? Either that or Give your roommate a ultimatum seeing how you are there on a scholarship and they probably had a parent pay for their college.

Sorry you have to go through all of this.

Posted

oof roommate issues are never fun :/ Sorry to hear about the situation. Letting your RD know would probably be a good idea or do you have a RA  (resident assistant) for your floor/area? If so, I'd tell them first. They might say to talk to your roommates.. but that could be hard depending on the situation. (i know for me confrontation makes me nervous so that why i always prefer telling those in charge first). They may be able to either give you some tips/help the fix the problem or maybe could consider letting you move to another dorm room. Does your uni have single rooms? Mine did and it was much better for me. You might look into something like that? Or finding someone you know you'd get along with. I guess for now, I would keep my stuff where the other roommates could not access it if they are misusing your things. 

Posted

Can you lock your trash bags and other belongings in your room so your roommates won't be able to access them? And I agree with what others have posted here; I think it's best to talk to the RD about it. Make sure to go into details about what your roommates have done to you so they will understand better and hopefully handle the situation faster.