• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Ariana Grande

1114 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm about to be completely honest and it might be a long post but please bear with me.

I'm incredibly biased because I'm a huge Ariana fan. I never watched Victorious or even knew of her when she released her first and second albums, Problem came and went without me noticing and I'm not even her target demographic, but Dangerous Woman released right around the time a traumatic event transpired in my personal life (I've suffered from PTSD ever since.) and Be Alright was incredibly therapeutic for me, I've always loved music but I never knew it could help me that much, and for that I've always been grateful to her and the people who worked on it.

That's not to say she's immune from my criticism, problematic behavior needs to be called out no matter who it is, and maybe it's because we're around the same age, but I really empathize with her as a human. I never see her as a brand, or a team of people, but as someone who has fucked up and is still learning, and I can't ask from her what I couldn't ask from myself.

When Manchester happened... it really changed my whole outlook on her as a celebrity. It transcends the pettiness and outrage culture of the internet, it was something horrible that permanently shattered thousands of lives. Ariana wasn't physically injured so it doesn't compare to the people who were directly affected, but the guilt and hurt and distress she must've felt is a million times greater than what I went through a couple of years ago, and the fact that she powered through it (something I couldn't do in my situation and never in a million years would be able to do) and held a benefit concert right after... it's something that will forever stay with me whenever I think of who she is as a person.

The point I'm trying to make is that her positive impact on the world outweighs stuff like licking a donut or contradicting herself on twitter, she's not immune to criticism, but she's not the manipulative monster a lot of people portray her as. If her positive music, her uplifting posts and her mental health advocacy comes off as fake... it's probably because it is, it's her mask, a mask that hides her day-to-day struggle with the trauma, because believe me when I say that when something horrible happens to you, it will forever stay in your mind. I can assure you that she's thinking about that day every waking moment of her life, analyzing every second and thinking of how things could've gone differently, that's probably why she feels the need to be constantly working on music or posting a positive tweet/insta, because keeping busy takes you away from the pain, even if for a second.

I'm probably projecting my own trauma and how I'm dealing with it onto her, but I'm speaking honestly and from personal experience. I'm usually down for tabloid rumors and call-out culture, but I cannot relate to most of the blind negativity of her critics, it all seems so shallow compared to the good she's brought to me and others.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Posted

The 2 posts above me give me hope that this new Ariana thread won’t be a replication of the one on the old PULL site. That old thread was incredibly vicious,  nit-picky and unfair in a lot of ways. I know some of you remember. For our site and what we stand for here, it was a disgrace (IMO, and I thought that long before I was a fan of this woman’s music).

I doubt that anyone thinks the mistakes she’s made as a human being should be overlooked just because she’s done really good things as well. No one is exempt from criticism. And there’s hardly a public figure out there who’s never done anything problematic. 

I would want anyone coming across this thread to see genuine and fair criticism with credit being given where it is due, as opposed to only cruel viciousness for the sake of being vicious because you personally don’t like the person. 

Posted

Really? Maybe it's not the tune that you like, but she can definitely carry one and stay on pitch. Many music teachers, whether they like the type of music she makes or not, have listened to her and not a one has ever said the woman can not carry a tune. She was trained for theater singing and tweaked her voice a bit to sound more mainstream, which isn't actually a bad thing it's just that doing so does not really show her true range.

The best way I can describe it is, your comment is like if someone tried to tell me that Lady Gaga can't sing. Yes, she very much can and was classically trained in the art, you just don't like the way she uses her voice and maybe you don't like the sound of it either, but that does not mean she does not have talent. I do not like Ariana's music either, but I would not try to sit here and say she can't sing because that would be a lie. I don't like Mariah Carey either, but, again, that doesn't mean she can't sing or has no talent.

She was on Broadway before she got casted on to the Nick shows she was in. I wasn't saying she didn't have talent im saying she can't sing. Her talent mostly lies with her acting. She a good actress. I like her in scream queens. 

Posted

@Fairyduster With her singing skills (on broadway and in mainstream music), which everyone can hear for themselves, you’re telling us her skills mostly lie in her children show acting??

oh ok. 

She hardly had ANY scenes in Scream Queens. And you’re trying to say that those less-than-one-minute acting scenes are better than her singing skills? 

Oh my god you’re kidding yourself 

Posted

She's definitely has dealt with a lot of shit while being held to a standard that not a lot of women in their early 20's have experienced. I do think that she's a good person at heart (and I do reflect that my comment on her using filters was petty) but I think it doesn't mean that everything she does wrong should be looked past. Just because she did this one massive beautiful thing for something awful that happened, doesn't mean she shouldn't be held accountable for other small things she does that may be problematic. And just because she isn't "100% good" doesn't mean that she should mean any less to you than she already does. 

I think her excessive tanning/AAVE use, allowing her fans to go after Pete, the use of Japanese kanji on her album, and the Kris Wu debacle are all minute things that are potentially problematic, but what's important to remember is that it doesn't DETRACT from her massively good deeds that she's done. And people are allowed to like/dislike her music and singing style. I think at the end of the day she isn't this beautiful angel that can do no wrong, but she certainly isn't a snowflake like some of the people talked about here are.  

Those things are problematic? Really? Yeah, in the first world, gosh you SJWs are ridiculous.

Posted

@Fairyduster With her singing skills (on broadway and in mainstream music), which everyone can hear for themselves, you’re telling us her skills mostly lie in her children show acting??

oh ok. 

She hardly had ANY scenes in Scream Queens. And you’re trying to say that those less-than-one-minute acting scenes are better than her singing skills? 

Oh my god you’re kidding yourself 

I did say she had a handful of good songs other than that she not a good singer to me. Her talent lies with her acting and she did act in a movie as well. If you like her as a singer good for you i personally don't.

Posted (edited)

I think she belts too much and strains her voice by doing way too many whistle notes :alpacaworry: She really had her strongest performances from 2011-2015ish (a good compilation video of all her best vocal moments), but she honestly sounds so out of breath and sad in a lot of her 2018 performances (here, here, and here) and those are just one of the worst I've found. I think she really just needs a break from all that has been going on. 

I do think that calling her the next Mariah Carey is a bit overkill though. I think she's a very strong singer with a good mastery over her voice (her impressions of other singers are great) but she slurs her words sometimes and when she tries to go below her soprano range, she can be a bit inconsistent and weak. 

On a personal note, I wish Liz Gillies sang as much as Ari did. IMO her voice is so much more unique compared to Ari's, and just feels a lot stronger. 

Edited by clementine
edited

Posted (edited)

Being problematic doesn't have to be outright and in your face, for example, spewing out blatant racism. Which she is not. Someone can be problematic when it relates to microaggressions, which is something people criticize her about. With that being said, I like actually like Ari lol and I think she fits well as THE current American popstar.

The dark tan, use of AAVE, etc can be sus. She's obviously not doing it to fake her race, it's just what's trendy right now in the US and it sells to her very diverse fanbase. She isn't the first popstar to do that either. Criticism is valid but the issue lies deeper, personally I blame the Kardashians for starting it all lmao.

Maybe in a few years she'll revamp her image like a lot of the pop girls do. It was subtle but there was definitely a change from the Yours Truly/My Everything to Dangerous Woman and on. I know in the early days some people criticized her for playing up a "little girl" image.

Edited by Dream Girl
spelling!

Posted

She just released her new music video for her new song “7 rings.” It has nice visuals imo.

Posted

She just released her new music video for her new song “7 rings.” It has nice visuals imo.

Kinda feels like a lyrical successor to Successful, and definitely looks like a Hannah Lux Davis music video. It's fun but I don't see myself having this on repeat for days like her r&b/house-inspired tracks.

Posted

The video has beautiful visuals, but I have a hard time listening to the song because something sounds off but I can’t put my finger on it. Might be something to do with the mixing of the track? The song is okay though, just wished it did a little more. :alpacasad: 

Posted (edited)

can i just say that she has the most god awful fanbase there is, they're like an unholy combination of beyonce's and 2013 bieber's fans, it's like a cult of middle school bullies. it actually makes me feels bad for her cause everyone would pin their toxic behaviour on her when it's literally out of her controls. that being said, it's hard to tell with celebrities how they are as a person cause they have so many PR behind them that sort of filters their public impression, i think she's a shady person but i also tend to separate artist from their art so it doesn't change my opinion about her music, i still like it very much.

also "7 rings" is literally a remix of "my favourite things" from the sound of music, so doesn't that mean it's a copyrighted material? did they shares the right to this song like they would with covers or something? does anyone know how this thing works?

Edited by serotonin deficiency

Posted

her new song and music video aren’t  bad. she looked really beautiful in the video. definitely not one of my favorite songs though. 

but i was really expecting the music video to have more japanese aspects since she used the japanese characters for the title ?? and then they just showed sake and sushi in one scene lol just kind of weird.. also i can’t imagine this kind of song to be popular in japan anyways ?