• Announcements

• *NEW* PULL FAQ   07/11/20

Hello. It has been a long time coming, but we finally have a PULL FAQ! In this FAQ you may find answers to most commonly asked questions here on the site. Please make sure to read the FAQ before asking a question in the Site Feedback (formerly the "Make Your Voice Heard") subforum as chances are your question has already been answered. If it has not been answered, then feel free to ask your question within the thread or make a new one with your question. The FAQ can be found in 2 locations: The News & Announcements section and the Site Feedback section. We hope this helps current and new users. Thank you.

Ariana Grande

2187 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm all for musical and artistic development,but her frequent use of AAVE & "yuh"s ruins so many songs of her for me,simply because it doesn't come across as natural.She's not rapping yet "yuh" is literally every second word in a lot of her songs since she released her album Sweetener.I much prefer songs like "Leave me lonely ft Macy Gray" where she takes the R&B/Soul route and sings instead of raps.I think songs like these suit her more than "7 rings" and the like.

(I don't have anything against rap in general,I just find Ari's "rapping" kinda weird)

Edited by lizardqueen

Posted

^^ i agree, she even went as far as saying something about her ass which is so out of pocket for ariana bc she is the last person to sing about her (nonexistent) ass lol (but it couldve been something victoria monet wrote) 

Posted

lets play a game: the one who cares to count every ”yuh” from sweetener & thank u next gets a gold medal emoji 🥇 

also saw this on instagram:

23F795D1-CE46-4B54-BE6B-FD268A6A3415.thu

Posted

lets play a game: the one who cares to count every ”yuh” from sweetener & thank u next gets a gold medal emoji 🥇 

also saw this on instagram:

23F795D1-CE46-4B54-BE6B-FD268A6A3415.thu

She looked so much better before she decided to ruin her face with botox and lifters...

Posted

literally looks like two different people

Posted

I wish they’d film that paige girl from upfront

6CDFF183-1CF8-406F-87A9-9161B824BF0F.jpeg

Posted

I understand where you're coming from but it's not Victoria's job to check Ariana's shitty behavior. Black women are rarely allowed to defend themselves because of how society treats them. Ariana has the upper hand. She's the celebrity. She could easily blacklist Victoria. The sad part that Victoria is super accomplished and talented but that means nothing when you piss off someone richer and more powerful. She could lose friends too. Who do you think their clique will side with: world famous, rich as hell Ariana or Victoria? Ariana's stans would harass Victoria if they found out that Victoria criticized Ariana like that. Ariana's current persona is problematic. We know she's imitating black women and she'll abandon this aesthetic when she's bored with it. Blackness is a costume to her and that's messed up. But it's not on Victoria. That's on Ari alone.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she entirely changed her aesthetic for her next album, I mean she’s done it countless times before, sexy/sweetheart bunny with dangerous woman, earthy, grounded and girly for sweetener and now her new black inspired persona for thank u next. 

Posted (edited)

I understand where you're coming from but it's not Victoria's job to check Ariana's shitty behavior. Black women are rarely allowed to defend themselves because of how society treats them. Ariana has the upper hand. She's the celebrity. She could easily blacklist Victoria. The sad part that Victoria is super accomplished and talented but that means nothing when you piss off someone richer and more powerful. She could lose friends too. Who do you think their clique will side with: world famous, rich as hell Ariana or Victoria? Ariana's stans would harass Victoria if they found out that Victoria criticized Ariana like that. Ariana's current persona is problematic. We know she's imitating black women and she'll abandon this aesthetic when she's bored with it. Blackness is a costume to her and that's messed up. But it's not on Victoria. That's on Ari alone.

It's not Victoria's job, you're right. I'm just pointing out that part of the reason why Ariana is able to do certain things is because she does have black enablers, not just because it's out of nowhere. In a similar way that Miley had Mike Will cosigning her antics and Kylie had Tyga tipping her off about "black trends," which had Kylie one up the very black women that popularized those trends. Or Jordyn woods being Kylie's bff, enabling and not having a full awareness of the black experience until the Kardashians stomped on her (side note, she turned out fine). Or woahvicky's black friends not caring in the world that she's throwing around the N word left and right. It's not 100 percent on Victoria, but I am just pointing out that she does play a part in it just like other enablers do, and I don't think that can be denied in my opinion. And if Ariana does blacklist any of her friends rather than hear out how her friends may feel (if they do feel a way anyway, cause maybe they don't and that's them), then that would only say Ariana doesn't care for Victoria as a friend if she would go that far.

As a black woman myself, I understand how black women are scrutinized, but there are black women still calling Ari out regardless like Kim (For Harriet on Youtube). Kim even said that she's pretty sure Ariana knows that she wouldn't be able to come up with certain lines without Victoria and if Ari's going to keep doing that she should keep making sure Victoria actually has a spotlight. But there are also other black women on Youtube/social media have called out how there's a pattern with black men (usually, but also women) who enable and grind so hard for white women that borrow the "ethnic aesthetic." I don't think I've heard them say it's their job to tell them no, but they're just pointing out what's happening, and I just think those black women's opinions are valid too. 

Edited by cocoaqueen

Posted

6CDFF183-1CF8-406F-87A9-9161B824BF0F.jpeg

thank you! Only saw clips of it on Twitter and they were all angled from the left. 

Posted (edited)

It's not Victoria's job, you're right. I'm just pointing out that part of the reason why Ariana is able to do certain things is because she does have black enablers, not just because it's out of nowhere. In a similar way that Miley had Mike Will cosigning her antics and Kylie had Tyga tipping her off about "black trends," which had Kylie one up the very black women that popularized those trends. Or Jordyn woods being Kylie's bff, enabling and not having a full awareness of the black experience until the Kardashians stomped on her (side note, she turned out fine). Or woahvicky's black friends not caring in the world that she's throwing around the N word left and right. It's not 100 percent on Victoria, but I am just pointing out that she does play a part in it just like other enablers do, and I don't think that can be denied in my opinion. And if Ariana does blacklist any of her friends rather than hear out how her friends may feel (if they do feel a way anyway, cause maybe they don't and that's them), then that would only say Ariana doesn't care for Victoria as a friend if she would go that far.

As a black woman myself, I understand how black women are scrutinized, but there are black women still calling Ari out regardless like Kim (For Harriet on Youtube). Kim even said that she's pretty sure Ariana knows that she wouldn't be able to come up with certain lines without Victoria and if Ari's going to keep doing that she should keep making sure Victoria actually has a spotlight. But there are also other black women on Youtube/social media have called out how there's a pattern with black men (usually, but also women) who enable and grind so hard for white women that borrow the "ethnic aesthetic." I don't think I've heard them say it's their job to tell them no, but they're just pointing out what's happening, and I just think those black women's opinions are valid too. 

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was denying that enabling happens or to make anyone feel like their opinions are invalid. I agree that Ariana draws inspiration from Victoria. My intention was to point out that Victoria could lose a lot and how that could affect her decision making. Victoria is in Ariana's personal and professional life so Victoria's entire life could be affected. The people publicly calling Ariana out aren't in her personal circles and they don't risk losing their jobs if Ariana doesn't like them. At the end of the day, I don't know them or their friendship. Maybe Ariana is assuming that it's okay because nobody speaks up, but nobody speaks up because they're reliant on her for their jobs. Maybe Victoria is telling Ariana that what she's doing is fine. Maybe Victoria feels like it's harmless for Ariana to use AAVE or she's flattered by Ariana's imitation. Whatever it is, I still blame Ariana solely. Ariana gets called out all of the time and continues her little charade. She's an adult who prides herself on being woke so she understands that cultural appropriation is serious and that no one person can give her a pass.

Edited by mckzh
formating

Posted (edited)

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was denying that enabling happens or to make anyone feel like their opinions are invalid. I agree that Ariana draws inspiration from Victoria. My intention was to point out that Victoria could lose a lot and how that could affect her decision making. Victoria is in Ariana's personal and professional life so Victoria's entire life could be affected. The people publicly calling Ariana out aren't in her personal circles and they don't risk losing their jobs if Ariana doesn't like them. At the end of the day, I don't know them or their friendship. Maybe Ariana is assuming that it's okay because nobody speaks up, but nobody speaks up because they're reliant on her for their jobs. Maybe Victoria is telling Ariana that what she's doing is fine. Maybe Victoria feels like it's harmless for Ariana to use AAVE or she's flattered by Ariana's imitation. Whatever it is, I still blame Ariana solely. Ariana gets called out all of the time and continues her little charade. She's an adult who prides herself on being woke so she understands that cultural appropriation is serious and that no one person can give her a pass.

I resrespectfully disagree that it's solely Ariana's fault because, like any celebrity, she has a team behind her that contributes to styling (cue the alleged style stealing scandal), her image, Yes Men and fans that give positive reinforcement to her charade, maybe even "No" men, if they think she'll be in hot water for something, etc. Yes, she's an adult and I fully agree with you on that note, but almost every move she makes, career wise anyway, isn't usually by her discretion alone. It's all crafted and calculated through multiple people, and yes as you said, Victoria is part of that which means, yes, her job may be on the line, but she's part of Ari's machine nonetheless. I'm not shifting blame and saying it's all Victoria's fault, cause it's not, and I see they have a genuine friendship but I also can't confidently say the enabling only happens with instances like Malika/Khloe, Jordyn/Kylie (also friendships), and then with Victoria/Ari it isn't there. It would be one thing if it was an even playing field between black and white women, but the reason why Ari's team lets her have this pass is because they know that even if Victoria makes good music, which she does, that Ari will still take up SO much space in comparison even in black spaces. Cause the masses ride hard for light skinned or ambiguous looking people. Especially in Pop music. I think it's partially why even when Normani befriended Ari and received "Motivation," which was Ari's original track, Normani actively tried to make the video as black as possible and continues to try to make blackness as visible as possible (according to one of her most recent interviews). That's not to say she won't collab with white celebs, she just knows what it means to have this space, and hopefully her team is likeminded with that. I just think with Ari's team, something is going on that lets people give her pass and enable her. Ari already has a huge ego, so I can imagine how the cosigning from Scooter (who literally kissed her ass during a xenophobic scandal and she liked a tweet saying he did what he had to do), her team, etc. has had a hand in it. 

I do see some of your points, we'll just have to agree to disagree I suppose. 

Edited by cocoaqueen

Posted

57FD4C29-4C2F-4508-A74D-34816DD0C689.thuEC59936F-AC3F-4C37-A320-2B9BCC556E3C.thu

she really has to stop wit surgery, her nose is going to disappear at this point

Posted

Ah, yes, the good ol' dorito chin

Posted (edited)

One or two extra fillers and we could talk about her in the gangnam unnie section.

She sings well, but I never liked her, and her gimmicks. She kind of reminds me of those girls that bully you in middle school. 

Edited by Sakurai's lip