• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Ariana Grande

1108 posts in this topic

Posted

I think Americans really underestimate Asian artists, especially China (which is stupid considering China is the most populated country in the world). Someone like Ariana Grande has no idea just how popular Kris is, hell, he might be even more famous than her.The impact that Exo made on all of Asia and the impact that Kris made as well by himself does not compare to what Ariana has done. Kris is also fairly popular in Latin America.

He performed at the last Super Bowl (not the mid time show but an event leading up to it), so yeah pretty big deal.

Posted

i dont like her music, ill say that first. ive been on her twitter before and it's kind of cringe/sappy and i also get fake vibes from her. but other than that i know nothing about her.

maybe when i was like 13 i thought she was pretty, but the more i see her face the more it freaks me out for some reason. her high ponytail looks super painful

the way i feel about her is the same way i feel abt beyonce. their stans associate them with ethereal vibes/see them as goddesses. i dont think they fit the image that they have. especially that i think they're both incredibly overhyped. seems like people on social media just worship them. i dont think theyre all that great. im including beyonce 'cause these two are the mains celebs ive noticed with a similar image.

Posted

Speaking of using Japanese as “aesthetics”, Ari recently got a tattoo of the phrase “let’s sing” in Japanese. 

Though there’s nothing wrong with getting something tattooed in a different language, but judging by the fact that she 1) has no connection to Japan whatsoever, 2) got it tattooed by girlknewyork, who is not Japanese and 3) her use of Japanese as a way to make her album look cool, it kind of bugs me. 

649363E7-0327-49F6-96D0-C93D9C947FBA.thu

Posted (edited)

``

Edited by tttttttttt
``

Posted

Speaking of using Japanese as “aesthetics”, Ari recently got a tattoo of the phrase “let’s sing” in Japanese. 

Though there’s nothing wrong with getting something tattooed in a different language, but judging by the fact that she 1) has no connection to Japan whatsoever, 2) got it tattooed by girlknewyork, who is not Japanese and 3) her use of Japanese as a way to make her album look cool, it kind of bugs me. 

649363E7-0327-49F6-96D0-C93D9C947FBA.thu

Yeah this really bothers me, there's no authenticity to it. I get that she's at least tried to immerse herself in the Japanese culture and language (Her spoken message in the Japanese release of Focus shows that she's worked on the pronunciation.) But it wouldn't be that hard to get it done in Japan, it at least looks correct and not a half-assed attempt at writing Japanese but still...

Posted

She just got an Eevee tattoo as well, which I think is pretty cute and came out good. I never really knew she has an interest in Pokémon but I’m not surprised since she enjoys J-pop and Hayao Miyazaki films.

I know that Ari has a fanbase in Japan, she preformed the huge Summer Sonic Festival there in 2015 and has been on Japanese television several times since 2013 (example 1example 2example 3). But I think the main reason behind her Japanese tattoos is her interest in the country, and using Japanese text on single covers is a mixture of catering to that fanbase + her interest.

743B5FCD-5952-4C06-A597-5D2E7349E3BA.jpeg

Posted (edited)

She just got an Eevee tattoo as well, which I think is pretty cute and came out good. I never really knew she has an interest in Pokémon but I’m not surprised since she enjoys J-pop and Hayao Miyazaki films.

I know that Ari has a fanbase in Japan, she preformed the huge Summer Sonic Festival there in 2015 and has been on Japanese television several times since 2013 (example 1example 2example 3). But I think the main reason behind her Japanese tattoos is her interest in the country, and using Japanese text on single covers is a mixture of catering to that fanbase + her interest.

743B5FCD-5952-4C06-A597-5D2E7349E3BA.jpeg

I don't really dig the levee tattoo that much? When I saw it on her story I was kinda like... yikes. 

If you go back on her ig, her caption under a selfie was something like "my eevee looking ass" I'll insert it if I can find it. She was eevee for one halloween too.

I just think the right ear looks incredibly awkward, yes, it's suppose to be smaller bc of perspective. But I think its poorly drawn and just seems weird.

Edited by peachjar

Posted

there’s something weird with the right eye and ear on that eevee... not sure if it’s just me? 

sorry if this is nitpicky and i have no say in what she does to her body but honestly she needs to stop tattooing japanese things she gets attention for on her twitter. i remember when she posted that screenshot of chihiro on twitter and i was thinking ‘she gonna get that as a tattoo huh’ and SHE DID I CALLED IT. and yesterday i saw the official pokemon tweeted her in regards to playing let’s go eevee and i knew she was gonna slap a budget version of that on her too (she did boom called that too). i’ve got tattoos myself so this is a personal opinion but damn she should take longer than 2 minutes before making a permanent choice. 

oops double post sorry i got distracted by the eevee but the way she writes on social media, it bothers me? i remember when she use to type ‘normally’ but now she’s slowly adjusted to this aesthetic of how she types on twitter like ‘love uu sm’ ‘uh so in luhh wih u💧🌫💧🖤🖤🖤’. now i had to autocorrect that so much, did she purposely turn off autocorrect on her phone so she can type like this freely lol.... i don’t know who she’s trying to cater to with this aesthetic but i see her fans typing back and forth like this too 

Posted

I don't like it when a celeb shoves shit down people's throat, in this case Ariana shoving Japan-related things. Btw, pretty sure pokemon became such a international sensation that it's not really viewed as "Japanese" anymore. Also I have a huge problem with her fan base, or in fact every fanbase that legit worship someone. It's more of a cult than a fanbase at this point and I don't like it.

Posted

Her attention for Japan seems a bit weeby to me. Liking Ghibli films and Pokemon barely counts as liking Japanese culture, since it's so mainstream nowadays. Like @tabatha said, there's no authenticity to it. It's equivalent to a girl that's obsessed with yoga and "aligning her chakras" getting a sanskrit tattoo. And there are ways of appreciating her Japanese fanbase without plastering Japanese lettering that she no doubt would not have known the meaning to or have been able to read without Google translate. 

IDK, her "let's sing" tattoo is still cringey to me. The font she got it in is equivalent to Arial font, so it's pretty basic. 

Posted

Okay, now I’m just vexed. Since when did something becoming mainstream make it less of a representation of the culture in which it came from? Back in the day when Friends blew up for example, no one could say that it wasn’t a perfect representation of parts of American culture just because it was super popular. Just because something is really popular doesn’t magically remove the influences from the culture it comes from and liking those things certainly doesn’t mean you don’t have an interest in that culture. Saying otherwise just sounds...stupid to be honest.

Posted (edited)

Okay, now I’m just vexed. Since when did something becoming mainstream make it less of a representation of the culture in which it came from? Back in the day when Friends blew up for example, no one could say that it wasn’t a perfect representation of parts of American culture just because it was super popular. Just because something is really popular doesn’t magically remove the influences from the culture it comes from and liking those things certainly doesn’t mean you don’t have an interest in that culture. Saying otherwise just sounds...stupid to be honest.

I see what you're saying, but I'm just saying that her ties to Japanese culture seems shallow. There's NOTHING wrong with liking Japan and things that come from it, but the problem ultimately stems from the fact that she's promoting her album with Japanese characters for no apparent reason. It's clear that she likes Japan a lot, but it doesn't seem like she shows any outward interest in Japan OTHER than the mainstream, like Ghibli films and Pokemon. That's fine, but the fact that she seems inclined to using Japanese lettering (that again, I highly doubt she knew how to read/write beforehand) both in promoting her newest singles AND getting a phrase tattooed on her body, it feels weeaboo-ish to me. 

I see a lot of people use Chinese/Japanese/Russian everywhere even though they are not fluent in the language to seem "cool" and assigning the language as part of their "aesthetic". This is what I feel like she's doing. 

Edit: Mainstream as in mainstream in the United States. Those things are also mainstream in Japan, but there are plenty of things that are mainstream in Japan that are NOT in the US. 

Edited by clementine
added

Posted (edited)

plastering Japanese lettering that she no doubt would not have known the meaning to or have been able to read without Google translate. 

Just want to point out that she does speak some Japanese. I’m not saying she’s a fluent master of the language, but she did learn it before going there, and was learning some even before she became really famous. 

Here she is performing a show in Tokyo and she is speaking to the crowd in Japanese, saying stuff like asking if they’re having fun and introducing the next song. At the end she exclaims “Let’s sing!” In the language as well.

Also here on Jimmy Fallon she’s trying to teach him some phrases.

Those were just 2 examples.

Edited by AnarchyStocking