• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Ariana Grande

1321 posts in this topic

Posted

I think the Halsey shampoo incident explains exactly what I'm talking about, everyone's allowed to express their opinion, but feeling the need to speak on behalf of a group you don't belong to threads on white savior complex. Taking offence by proxy is appropriation, me thinking her Japanese tattoo is problematic and cultural appropriation doesn't override an actual Japanese person saying it's not, and thinking I know better than the group of people being directly affected by it is borderline racist.

I can understand what you are saying but in Arianna's case it's different because she is actually doing something damaging and ugly, it's not people being offended in others behalf but calling her out on her bullshit. It doesn't matter your race, if you see someone doing something offensive, that is KNOWN to be offensive you call them out. 

Posted (edited)

I think this tweet encompasses what a lot of online POC circles think of her tanning:

Not everyone, but a lot of POC embrace the fact that dark skin is becoming the default of celebrity culture, Ariana's tanning implications are more telling of a culture shift than her as an individual.

As for her queerbaiting in 'break up w...', I can see where people are coming from, how in the end it's a bait-and-switch metaphor for a straight relationship, and a lot of people asking for her to "come out of the closet" if she's gonna imply that her sexuality is on a spectrum, but if I'm not demanding for the people criticizing her to wear their sexuality on a sleeve to see if their concerns come from a place of genuine grievance, then they shouldn't be asking that of her either, or anyone for that matter. People don't realize that concerning yourself with vaguely problematic issues doesn't make you 'woke', but it's in and of itself reductionist and comes from a place of privilege. The fact that the top tweet on this issue is from a girl obsessed with Korean men who talks about 'keeping them' (Like a pet or an object.) and is into shipping male, Korean celebrities together. says a lot about how disingenuous a lot of these people are.

Tanning/bronze skin has been the norm for ´´beautiful healthy skin´´ in the usa/europe for ages now(and contributing to higher rates of skin cancer in young white people so better watch out Grande), so how is that new? or perhaps you mean actual really dark skin and not the ´´sun kissed/Bronzed look´´ so many white people go crazy over idk.

But even then I can not see how dark skin(or any) becoming/being set as the ´´default´´ is a good thing. How is excluding certain features while glorifying others in any way a good thing? especially for younger teenagers.The media is so toxic and honestly should just shut up when it comes to telling us what we should look like. I can not believe how so many people just go along with their rules and it makes me angry that there is some ´´higher power´´ that tell us how we should be, what we can and cant like after a certain age, and should look like in order to be accepted by society.  And not just western society, its everywhere. it also happans the other way around where women bleach their skin and end up getting second degree burns from it. or even as extreme as breaking their legs to get a height lengthening surgery. Why do we think this is all okay? must be really hard to be a young impressionable/insecure teen these days.

Unbelievable how so many people around the world are so easily brainwashed by what the media tells us how we should be like.

And sorry but I do not get why this stale bitch is so popular. she seems like a nasty person that thinks shes above a lot of people yet is still glorified by those exact same people? and that there are people who have beef with her even since going back to her victorious days, that says a lot. and imo, she also produces very mediocre/forgetable music but again its probably popular just because the horde likes it and many will just follow.

Edited by Kiko

Posted (edited)

not to go back to an older topic but the "break up with your girlfriend i'm bored" video?

i'm a queer girl myself and while i don't think it's QUIIIIITE queerbaiting in the worst way (like the king o queerbaiting nick jonas, now THAT'S bait) i gotta say, it did bug me that it felt like she put the girl-kiss at the end to try to be TiTiLLaTiNg AnD ScAnDaLoUs!!! 

like, i got the idea, i understood that we were supposed to view it as ariana literally loving herself as the girl was cast as an ari lookalike, but the way it was depicted made it feel like it was supposed to be this huge "OMG!!!!! WHOA!!!!!!!" moment was just kinda annoying. cause i'm used to the world viewing WLW stuff as inherently, like, exciting or a spectacle and it makes it hard to be taken seriously and not viewed as a novelty or as if it's done as a show for straight guys to jerk it over. not that i think ariana intended to make people jerk off over her kissing the girl, just that it felt.... idk. just lame, kinda. 

Screen_Shot_2019-02-10_at_2.43.44_AM.thu

Screen_Shot_2019-02-10_at_2.43.56_AM.thu

Screen_Shot_2019-02-10_at_2.44.04_AM.thu

Screen_Shot_2019-02-10_at_2.50.21_AM.thu

i mean if ariana really wanted to promote self-love she could've just done something like this then? she has the budget to use good cgi for her mvs

Dy3MLoPWkAAAt0-.thumb.jpg.9b32691636c78d

omg, YES. this person said it all so much better than i did. 

i would have no problem with ariana putting queer imagery in her work if she's actually bi/pan/whatever, even if she didn't come out right away, but this does not feel genuine or like she's trying to depict a part of herself, it feels stunt-y, and that's what gets me 

Edited by lil mango

Posted

I can understand what you are saying but in Arianna's case it's different because she is actually doing something damaging and ugly, it's not people being offended in others behalf but calling her out on her bullshit. It doesn't matter your race, if you see someone doing something offensive, that is KNOWN to be offensive you call them out. 

I agree with you, in the sense that if someone's being called racist slurs or threatened with violence I would hope someone would step in, no matter who they are. But this isn't a black and white issue, most POC have a lot to worry about, when I go out I worry that the current political rhetoric is gonna make a bigot snap and hurt me, someone thinking Ariana's latina is so inconsequential outside of internet circles. I just think her actions don't merit the backlash she's getting, these conversations have their place and importance, but not when they may overshadow much bigger issues, and reduce things like a system that keeps POC in poverty to something as superficial as someone getting a spray tan and acting 'hood'.

Like I've said before I think she is problematic, but I also believe that most of the people that equate her behavior to malicious, racist actions like black/brown face haven't experienced what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry.

Tanning/bronze skin has been the norm for ´´beautiful healthy skin´´ in the usa/europe for ages now(and contributing to higher rates of skin cancer in young white people so better watch out Grande), so how is that new? or perhaps you mean actual really dark skin and not the ´´sun kissed/Bronzed look´´ so many white people go crazy over idk.

But even then I can not see how dark skin(or any) becoming/being set as the ´´default´´ is a good thing. How is excluding certain features while glorifying others in any way a good thing? especially for younger teenagers.The media is so toxic and honestly should just shut up when it comes to telling us what we should look like. I can not believe how so many people just go along with their rules and it makes me angry that there is some ´´higher power´´ that tell us how we should be, what we can and cant like after a certain age, and should look like in order to be accepted by society.  And not just western society, its everywhere. it also happans the other way around where women bleach their skin and end up getting second degree burns from it. or even as extreme as breaking their legs to get a height lengthening surgery. Why do we think this is all okay? must be really hard to be a young impressionable/insecure teen these days.

Unbelievable how so many people around the world are so easily brainwashed by what the media tells us how we should be like.

And sorry but I do not get why this stale bitch is so popular. she seems like a nasty person that thinks shes above a lot of people yet is still glorified by those exact same people? and that there are people who have beef with her even since going back to her victorious days, that says a lot. and imo, she also produces very mediocre/forgetable music but again its probably popular just because the horde likes it and many will just follow.

I think you're focusing your frustration on the wrong thing, 'cancelling' Ariana isn't gonna solve racism/colorism/homophobia. These are superficial 'solutions' that sound nice and require the least amount of effort, like thinking building a wall will solve illegal immigration and the drug epidemic. Saying she's doing black/brown face gets you likes on twitter, but literally serves no other purpose, our current culture has taught people that being 'twitter woke' is enough to be an ally, that you don't need to do actual work to feel like you're solving the world's issues.

It's really hard to truly look in the mirror and realize that we're just as problematic as everyone else, and how celebrities like Ariana are just a product of our society and our collective, internalized bigotry. The backlash she's been getting is just a bandaid on a much deeper issue we turn a blind eye to.

Posted

I agree with you, in the sense that if someone's being called racist slurs or threatened with violence I would hope someone would step in, no matter who they are. But this isn't a black and white issue, most POC have a lot to worry about, when I go out I worry that the current political rhetoric is gonna make a bigot snap and hurt me, someone thinking Ariana's latina is so inconsequential outside of internet circles. I just think her actions don't merit the backlash she's getting, these conversations have their place and importance, but not when they may overshadow much bigger issues, and reduce things like a system that keeps POC in poverty to something as superficial as someone getting a spray tan and acting 'hood'.

Like I've said before I think she is problematic, but I also believe that most of the people that equate her behavior to malicious, racist actions like black/brown face haven't experienced what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry.

I think you're focusing your frustration on the wrong thing, 'cancelling' Ariana isn't gonna solve racism/colorism/homophobia. These are superficial 'solutions' that sound nice and require the least amount of effort, like thinking building a wall will solve illegal immigration and the drug epidemic. Saying she's doing black/brown face gets you likes on twitter, but literally serves no other purpose, our current culture has taught people that being 'twitter woke' is enough to be an ally, that you don't need to do actual work to feel like you're solving the world's issues.

It's really hard to truly look in the mirror and realize that we're just as problematic as everyone else, and how celebrities like Ariana are just a product of our society and our collective, internalized bigotry. The backlash she's been getting is just a bandaid on a much deeper issue we turn a blind eye to.

You are aware that as humans we can focus on more than one thing right? we can care about the plethora of issues we deal with as POC and also call shitty behavior out. 

Posted

for my whole instance on the "blackfishing" thing...

i do not think that her self-tanning equals blackfishing, i do not understand how people are jumping to that conclusion lmfao. if y'all wanna shame her out of tanning and try to get her to "revert to her white roots", honestly that's kind of toxic? (but if she's blackfishing in other ways such as speech or cultural appropriation then i'd understand)

as someone who is a tan asian and has been shamed plenty of times for my skin color, having an influencer who is promoting the image of darker skin for people with typically "lighter" complexions is a step forward in my opinion. i feel as if people make her revert back to who she was, it'll seem as if there is no room for people to break the beauty standard roles of other races skin-wise, and continue the concept that white people, asian people, and latinx people with lighter complexions are the only representatives for beauty in their categories and that nothing can break this mainstream idea.

however, i find it funny how people don't even know she's white because of how tan she is lmfao. i am pretty sure there are a number of italian people who are the same color (people who are typically uneducated like young stans usually assume italian isn't even white lol). 

in other news, that queerbaiting thing and the entire tattoo incident are definitely not okay, and she shouldn't be excused for her shitty behaviors. don't try to get a tattoo in a language you don't know for your own aesthetic when you literally sent plenty of fans to storm in with racist comments again kris wu (who is chinese, i know her tattoo is japanese but it's still in kanji which was derived from chinese) and do nooooot queerbait when you are in no position to as a straight woman. you are not a representative of lgbtq+ culture, those who are actually in the category are. i'm fine with her promoting the support of it (especially since her own brother is gay) but trying to be an icon of it is almost downright appropriation.

sigh, i'm done with the negatives though. frankly, i really do love her voice and music. i used to be a super huge fan back in the day when she came out with yours truly and focused more on r&b rather than pop music. also, her voice and talent is definitely no hoax we all been knew since victorious but i feel as though overtime her personality has altered a lot and she's become a bit more snobby and entitled than before, but i guess that's the downside to becoming famous :/ 

Posted

4D784B84-4FFE-4317-9634-5EE6CCC6B448.thuapparently one of her friends who received a ring claimed she wasn’t given writing credits on 4 songs in thank u, next and ariana & co responded with some petty tweets as a response. 

its so gross how her stans applaud this kind of behavior.

this situation is kinda weird to me..there's already so many people credited on thank u next that i don't think it would've been a problem to credit this girl on additional songs, epsecially since she's already credited on multiple songs on sweetener and thank u next. ari's response is p bitchy but this is clearly one of her good friends so it's weird that they chose to air this to the public after presumabley talking about it in private. i would prob side with them if it weren't for not one but two other songwriters saying she doesn't deserve the credit. ariana should've kept it private or addressed it in a mature way tho bc this looks really petty

Posted (edited)

"Deserve credit" is not something I would use lightly. If you worked on the song, you "deserve credit," because for a songwriter/producer, what you're creating/help create is your ART and you deserve to have your name on it. Not to mention that if she mattered enough to the album to be given a ring, she most definitely deserved the credit. Ariana needs to start acting like a grown up, her attitude honestly disgusts me and I can already see her becoming a celebrity who thinks that they don't owe anyone respect or kindness because they're a celebrity. Blech.

Edit: From what I'm seeing on the girl's insta comments, she had to give the ring back???? umm

Edited by Jaken

Posted

I think the Halsey shampoo incident explains exactly what I'm talking about, everyone's allowed to express their opinion, but feeling the need to speak on behalf of a group you don't belong to threads on white savior complex. Taking offence by proxy is appropriation, me thinking her Japanese tattoo is problematic and cultural appropriation doesn't override an actual Japanese person saying it's not, and thinking I know better than the group of people being directly affected by it is borderline racist.

kinda ot so spoiler

I agree with you tbh, especially when we're dealing with issues that are moral grey areas. Like I've seen a bunch of non-brown and white people saying paisley print of all things is cultural appropriation. Meanwhile, zero Middle Eastern people give a shit bc we deal with so many worse issues and white people wearing paisley has zero global impact on us lol. If the group in question isn't very unanimous on their disapproval of the thing you're claiming to be bad I don't think people not in that group should be so quick to condemn it. Like I also feel v uncomfortable when I see white people policing the usage of henna :/

"Deserve credit" is not something I would use lightly. If you worked on the song, you "deserve credit," because for a songwriter/producer, what you're creating/help create is your ART and you deserve to have your name on it. Not to mention that if she mattered enough to the album to be given a ring, she most definitely deserved the credit. Ariana needs to start acting like a grown up, her attitude honestly disgusts me and I can already see her becoming a celebrity who thinks that they don't owe anyone respect or kindness because they're a celebrity. Blech.

we don't really know what happened behind closed doors so i wouldn't say that girl does or doesn't deserve credit. it's just strange bc she's literally already been credited for multiple songs so it's like what did she do for those songs vs the other ones that she's not credited on for her to be saying she should be credited? and ariana's response was v mean girl. this is messy on both sides

Posted

Having followed Ariana since her Victorious days it is weird that she all of a sudden evolved into what she is now. You don't necessarily need to be authentic in music considering tons of musicians have personas, but seeing a former child star talent prodigy make money off of what is now trendy seems side eye worthy (talking about the AAVE trap influenced style). I do believe Ariana's got willful blindness and is contributing to something she didn't start but is apart of.

I think the Grammy response to Ken Ehrlich shows that. She addressed him articulately without any stan internet slang and rightfully proved her point. The same thing can't be said about stuff surrounding criticism though like the instagram thing about the weave comment in 7 rings and the tattoo. The two matters are different considering in one she's up against a powerful man who can potentially taint her reputation but it's just a thought to consider!

With that being said I think thank u next is a solid album and a pleasantly easy listen. She definitely needs to step up with the visuals since the queerbaiting in the new video is not a good look. Something that I miss was the simplicity from the Sweetener era. The videos from this era have been a clusterfuck to me with the exception of thank u next.

Posted (edited)

0D661406-D555-4A79-B96A-B5530257B11B.jpeg

Edited by Cherryflavoured

Posted

0D661406-D555-4A79-B96A-B5530257B11B.jpeg

the girl who claimed she wasn’t credited is named Kaydence

Posted (edited)

the girl who claimed she wasn’t credited is named Kaydence

oh thanks, they’re all being really petty about it if they credited people who didn’t even write anything why didn’t they give credit to someone who actually did ? 

Also kind of rich she keeps preaching being kind to others and then does this 

Edited by Cherryflavoured

Posted

oh thanks, they’re all being really petty about it if they credited people who didn’t even write anything why didn’t they give credit to someone who actually did ? 

Also kind of rich she keeps preaching being kind to others and then does this 

it’s even more insulting given toulouse and myron are ariana’s dogs. way to treat a “friend” who wrote songs for you for years and was important enough for a ring. she may still be in a dark place emotionally and mentally but that doesn’t excuse how rude and nasty she’s been.

Posted

Lol there have been rumors of her being a massive dick for years, after the whole donnut gate she layed low and let them die, now she's acting all dwswe and shit and showing her ass from time to time