• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Ariana Grande

851 posts in this topic

Posted

I personally love it when people engage in my culture and want to learn and wear our stuff. we WANT you to be invovled and we want you to enjoy our culture. even if you look stupid, all that matters is if you try. the only thing that bothers me is people mixing all asian cultures thinking its all one pot (people wearing cheongsems thinking it's japanese when it's really chinese).

that and when it comes to the topic of cultural appropriation, when it comes to Japanese culture most times it's non-Japanese Asians being the louder voices or even white people. it's bothersome to me but what can i do? *shrug* 

Posted

Yes, you're right but what japan did was a lot more recent than what other things. korea was devastated after that and you could argue that they need to be really careful when it comes to korean culture. i think every culture has bad things they did. we need to work on moving forward from that and keeping history history. we won't get better if we stay bitter and in the past. i used to do that and i was miserable by it. we can forgive but not forget.

Umm...the American military occupied South Korea after Japan surrendered in WW2 LOL. And there were still Japanese internment camps open in America till 1946 (a year after Japan's surrender). Furthermore, the Chinese Exclusion Act wasn't repealed till 1943. That's not to say the Japanese occupation of South Korea or any of the other heinous crimes they committed are justified in any way, but claiming that Japan's war crimes were "a lot more recent" than America's...is just a straight up lie. I'm confused why any of this is even being brought up, because Ariana isn't a Japanese girl getting a tattoo in Chinese or Korean or Filipino. Like, this is some terrible deflection, even by gossip forum standards. You're not being downvoted because your opinion is unpopular, but because you're derailing the conversation, spreading misinformation, and basing your opinion on incomplete facts. Anyways, it's obvious that your mind is set and that you think we're just being terrible meanies to Ariana because we hate all white people, so I won't bother trying to convince you anymore.

Posted

I feel like PULL is becoming a bit sjw-y. awww and i thought PULL would never go down that route .:/ its getting too political. and with politics there comes a lot of arguments because of feelings. plz take this somewhere else.

anyways I feel like it isn't that much of a big deal about her tattoo. Its a palm tattoo it will fade away and she can get it redone. She should have learned. btw ariana has a pretty big fanbase in japan so she might still be in that im fascinated by japan phase and likes a lot of the japanese "kawaii" scene. I don't see it as appropriation as she doesn't have ill harm in it but it is dumb since she is so famous.  and a lot of people do worse or actually appropriate other cultures. all she is doing is using the language. It would catch my attention if she tried to take like geisha culture in japan and did something contreversial with it but shes just using the language.

Posted

sometimes i wonder if some people believe that other people can't have feelings....

no shit ariana is gonna delete stuff about her tattoo because of how people are making fun of her. shes trying to damage control so she deletes. can she not delete her stuff anymore?

Posted

That “apology” was so half assed.  All she did was deflect.  She brought up “appreciation va appropriation” and in the same tweet mentioned how she took down her mercy “not that anyone cared to notice”.  She’s so sulky about being the butt of jokes(I mean, what did she expect), but did she actually learn anything?? I doubt it, there were so many people defending her so I rly doubt she took any of the actual criticism seriously.  

Posted

i'm a fan of her, but her twitter responses really pissed me off. if you love and appreciate it so much why not learn the language? why not get your tattoo double checked by a native speaker BEFORE GETTING IT??? isn't that common sense? the deflection is real.

Posted

Hidden Content

terrible meanies? i had to laugh at that one. i defend the facts and the fact is that americans love to complain. we act like we are so oppressed and ignore all other people to focus on ourselves and how hard we have it. notice how you wanted to ignore the opinion of native easterners because they aren't as quick to be offended or cry racism. my comment on japanese people invading korea is to show literally everyone has done something and we don't ever talk about it. yes the occupation was a lot more recent then slavery in america but not as recent as segregation and nowhere near as widespread and long (but i try really hard not to compare suffering). to end this whole argument between me and you i would just like to share the definition of racism "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior." so a tattoo can't fit in that category. it would however fit in the category of being stupid or ignorant. if i was blindly following ariana i wouldn't be able to say this but i follow fact not emotion or bias.

i'm a fan of her, but her twitter responses really pissed me off. if you love and appreciate it so much why not learn the language? why not get your tattoo double checked by a native speaker BEFORE GETTING IT??? isn't that common sense? the deflection is real.

she has a tutor and claims she is learning japanese. she said the same thing many years ago but i don't see a big improvement. like she started got bored or busy, stopped the is trying again. i'm not trying to judge but like it doesn't look like she's even learned hiragana and i think she's been talking about learning japanese since 2014.

That “apology” was so half assed.  All she did was deflect.  She brought up “appreciation va appropriation” and in the same tweet mentioned how she took down her mercy “not that anyone cared to notice”.  She’s so sulky about being the butt of jokes(I mean, what did she expect), but did she actually learn anything?? I doubt it, there were so many people defending her so I rly doubt she took any of the actual criticism seriously.  

even her fans are making fun of her, i don't know why she's so mad about it, people have said worst.

Posted (edited)

Hidden Content

As if Japan's occupation and America's occupation of Korea are even comparable.... 9_9 Also the reason why people on this site are called SJWs is because many people think that the issues that exist according to your beliefs and morals are so petty (not real problems. but trying to perpetuate a narrative of POCs being victims and white people being evil oppressors for the smallest freaking things). 
Edited by Idc0494
formatting