• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Ariana Grande

2268 posts in this topic

Posted

The fact that she one day, is the yuh yuh black girl abusing spray tan, and one day she's a kawaii innocent asian with no eyelid and tiny almond eyes.

Oof I'm usually all ears when it comes to a healthy discussion about appropriation but it's statements like this that make the whole thing a bit uncomfortable. As a PoC it hurts when entire races are reduced to almost like... a cartoony depiction of what PoC are? Stuff like "Oh wow she's so tan I thought she was black!" I'm like really? Is that what a black person looks to you? (Not you specifically, just the argument in general.) And I'm not saying you're racist and I acknowledge that your intentions are good, I hope you understand that sometimes good intentions can have unintended, negative/problematic ramifications.

It also doesn't help that people making the argument photoshop images to make things seem worse than they actually are, like this (Photoshoped to be darker on the left, actual picture of the event on the right.)

arigrande-tan.thumb.jpg.f6e0c60cc40db6a3

I'm not saying Ariana isn't problematic but just listen to ALL PoC, don't dismiss the black and brown people who don't fit your narrative.

Posted

Oof I'm usually all ears when it comes to a healthy discussion about appropriation but it's statements like this that make the whole thing a bit uncomfortable. As a PoC it hurts when entire races are reduced to almost like... a cartoony depiction of what PoC are? Stuff like "Oh wow she's so tan I thought she was black!" I'm like really? Is that what a black person looks to you? (Not you specifically, just the argument in general.) And I'm not saying you're racist and I acknowledge that your intentions are good, I hope you understand that sometimes good intentions can have unintended, negative/problematic ramifications.

It also doesn't help that people making the argument photoshop images to make things seem worse than they actually are, like this (Photoshoped to be darker on the left, actual picture of the event on the right.)

arigrande-tan.thumb.jpg.f6e0c60cc40db6a3

I'm not saying Ariana isn't problematic but just listen to ALL PoC, don't dismiss the black and brown people who don't fit your narrative.

I get your point but for what it’s worth the actual event pic you chose is super washed out/overexposed which is why I assume people photoshop to give better clarity. multiple flashes on one subject + white trousers + white background is giving it a very washed out effect. Tho IA the photoshopped one isn’t entirely accurate either. 

this is a diff year but shows the variance in her tan with the lighting. 

7F6F6DE1-C78A-4762-B037-19F5113E964B.thu8F0B7D27-120F-478D-B26E-0AA9BC76F6AE.thu32264DAC-B5D1-47D3-9CAD-C624C94340EB.thu

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/singer-ariana-grande-attends-the-2016-billboard-music-news-photo/533595706?adppopup=true

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/singer-ariana-grande-attends-the-2016-billboard-music-news-photo/533586496?adppopup=true

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/ariana-grande-in-a-prayer-circle-with-her-dancers-backstage-news-photo/534475358?adppopup=true

Posted

I get your point but for what it’s worth the actual event pic you chose is super washed out/overexposed which is why I assume people photoshop to give better clarity. multiple flashes on one subject + white trousers + white background is giving it a very washed out effect. Tho IA the photoshopped one isn’t entirely accurate either. 

this is a diff year but shows the variance in her tan with the lighting. 

7F6F6DE1-C78A-4762-B037-19F5113E964B.thu8F0B7D27-120F-478D-B26E-0AA9BC76F6AE.thu32264DAC-B5D1-47D3-9CAD-C624C94340EB.thu

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/singer-ariana-grande-attends-the-2016-billboard-music-news-photo/533595706?adppopup=true

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/singer-ariana-grande-attends-the-2016-billboard-music-news-photo/533586496?adppopup=true

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/ariana-grande-in-a-prayer-circle-with-her-dancers-backstage-news-photo/534475358?adppopup=true

No you're right that was my bad, I tried finding the actual picture in the "before and after" comparison but no luck.

I guess I just get sus about the fact that she was called out for "pretending" to be latina for so many years but when that didn't stick, the accusations of trying to be black cropped up and like... it doesn't feel right when people treat PoC so interchangeably, you know? I don't like seeing people (often "allies") try to weaponize PoC and the actual, warranted anger against a racist society to take someone down. The way I look at it is the latinx community didn't get angry enough so they get pushed aside and they try to get a different community riled up, I've talked to PoC and many of them understand where people come from with the cultural appropriation accusations but don't understand why this is the fight people pick to fight.

Posted (edited)

At this point, It's obvious what she should look like. She's white by default so even if the picture was photoshopped or washed up due to filters or lighting, there's no denying she is white as vanilla. We all know what that really looks like and Ariana Grande wouldn't put that much attention or the effort to go as far as to transform herself into a black/asian person. She definitely has tried to PASS off as one though (black/white fishing) because she loves to stir the pot. She leaves bread and cookie crumbs of who she could be rather than fully admitting what she really is until someone pulls out the receipts.

I would prefer her to remain the pop princess she is but when she starts leaning towards R&B work, she is obvious and intense about her AAVE, tanning, blaccent, trying to pass off as biracial and with her pop work, not so much. She never looked that asian to me personally comparing her to some of the other snowflakes who do copy every little thing east asians do or look like physically but If anything, she is a huge culture vulture who likes to capitalize on cultures (social or historical) from race depending on what she and her team puts out for her tween audience and they eat it up. She kinda doesn't even care about the Japanese stuff as much as she used to.

Her main focus is now on producing R&B which means she will continue to ride the wave of AVEE, tanning, etc. She likes that side way more because mainly her audience is American anyway so it's convenient for her. The whole Japanese thing felt like an attempt to touch international waters. Even some of her friends have used the n-word and you can tell what type of person you are just based on your friends alone...

Most of her 20 something year old fans have noticed she is doing exactly what I just described and they are aware of it but speaking upon it is gonna get them ripped to shreds so everyone is kinda quiet about that but people will talk when they have a safe place for it. 

People have asked her to try ballad and she never will and says she hates ballad despite having some of the perfect voices for it dated. Ballad would make her white jump out and she doesn't want to do that and neither does her team because it would ruin everything they have done so far because it's not trendy to be white right now. She will change it up when it's appropriate and convenient for her to continue capitalizing and it's what makes her manager/team money and they will continue to enable it because she's a cash cow who has a really great voice.

Also, looking at her album history is such a mind fuck. I can't tell what era she was in. Everything looks similar or the same. She never changes up anything. So many other pop stars have changed their game throughout every album and you can tell exactly what that era was and the songs based off it but that doesn't seem to exist for Ariana. I wonder if that's like some unique way of preserving her youth to give people that impression that she's still young and not aged at all even though she is pushing 27. I really thought she was like 20-24 for awhile.

Edited by Fairy
Word

Posted

At this point it's just like beating a dead horse. The accusations have been going on for years and it's not like she'll stop anytime soon. 

My biggest gripe about her is that she/her fans ruined Victoria Justice's career, when Victoria isn't problematic and doesn't pretend to be someone she is not. And the biggest thing about how Ariana is obviously the better singer (which she is) doesn't hold up that much when Ariana sings in a way that mostly doesn't even let you understand the lyrics. She may have a great voice, but she isn't creating good music. Rain on me with Gaga? Underwhelming. If the best part of a song is that Lady Gaga attempted the whole Ariana look in the music video, then the song must not be that good. 

Posted

I want her to actually show the results instead of telling everybody. How come she never uses these as a defense and just goes “i’M iTaLiAn” when she is apparently Arabic on one side of her family. I don’t think she really tries to look black. I mean she could be trying to but idk. I think she tries to look middle easterner like Kim K who is probably her influence. I do think she tries to use the whole dark skin and AAVE to fit in with black people and their music tho and she does strip her skin for photo shoots so it’s definitely on purpose. Also her ancestry changes 24/7. Did anyone notice she said she “assumes the North African part is Moroccan and Tunisian“ when you get a test done don’t they tell you what parts you are from? 

55F88E34-24C1-414E-ADD1-1446DF4ABDC1.png

96DFF74C-04C1-4C85-891C-50407F1744D3.png

Posted (edited)

At this point it's just like beating a dead horse. The accusations have been going on for years and it's not like she'll stop anytime soon. 

My biggest gripe about her is that she/her fans ruined Victoria Justice's career, when Victoria isn't problematic and doesn't pretend to be someone she is not. And the biggest thing about how Ariana is obviously the better singer (which she is) doesn't hold up that much when Ariana sings in a way that mostly doesn't even let you understand the lyrics. She may have a great voice, but she isn't creating good music. Rain on me with Gaga? Underwhelming. If the best part of a song is that Lady Gaga attempted the whole Ariana look in the music video, then the song must not be that good. 

I'm glad you brought that up because as of late, Victoria and Ariana have recently started interacting on IG. Victoria compliments her under a few posts and Ariana responses back. All of a sudden they are on good terms. I wonder if Victoria is trying to recover from all the rumors and memes that went around a few years back about her being jealous of Ariana. I think it's interesting how she told one of her fans to be quiet when they were making fun of Victoria on the behalf of Ariana. She's acting as if she never had a hand in it or something.

https://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/a27166356/ariana-grande-victoria-justice-feud-timeline/

5674616596546548.png

Edited by Fairy
Word

Posted

I'm glad you brought that up because as of late, Victoria and Ariana have recently started interacting on IG. Victoria compliments her under a few posts and Ariana responses back. All of a sudden they are on good terms. I wonder if Victoria is trying to recover from all the rumors and memes that went around a few years back about her being jealous of Ariana. I think it's interesting how she told one of her fans to be quiet when they were making fun of Victoria on the behalf of Ariana. She's acting as if she never had a hand in it or something.

Hidden Content

5674616596546548.png

I don't know what to think about that. The whole I think we are all great sounds like a standard response in an interview. I never understood why Ariana's fans were all up about that - Victorious had many great singers and her answer was one which seems like a standard cookie cutter one. If he said some other singer that wasn't Ariana she could have gotten flack either way.

I am also still confused why Victoria gets shit for not being friends or bring frenemies with Ariana. They were work colleagues first and foremost, not best friends. You don't have to be friends with everybody you work with and it's impossible to hit it off with every single person.

Ariana's character is quite inconsistent anyways. 

Posted

Good lord someone please fix her eyebrows.

also anyone else notice how different she looks when it’s not her posting the photo?

49C529D8-F0C0-4AA1-AFB3-DCDA06CA411B.jpeg

Posted

i don’t want to be mean but ariana literally looks BOTCHED at this point tf??

her lips look awful (i know it’s partly the position, but they look swollen all the time anyways), and the rest of her face is UNRECOGNIZABLE apart from her actual eyes. and why doesn’t she realise those eyebrows will never work? i respect if celebrities get plastic surgery if they’re honest — but the fact she pretends she’s all natural is so frustrating. she literally looks like she’s had more facial fillers/procedures done than kylie jenner and that’s really sad to see lmfao

9FE0F099-1D1E-46BD-A08E-076841B3FCFC.png

Posted (edited)

In her defense though,it doesn't matter whether she speaks Italian or whether she has or hasn't lived in Italy,ethnically speaking she is Italian and I think it's incredibly tasteless when they try to mock or denounce that.

People are comparing oranges to apples when they talk about POC struggling to get their Italian citizenship versus Ariana being Italian because that is literally her heritage.

I have a similar situation so I'll put it under a spoiler,but I'm just gonna explain my stance a little bit to anyone who cares

My parents immigrated to the country I live in in the early 90's and even though I was born and raised here,I'm ethnically speaking still considered a foreigner and a part of the minorities that are living in this country. I also obtained the citizenship (here you don't get it as soon as you're born,it depends on whether your parents are citizens at the time of your birth;it's refered to as "ius sanguinis" and afaik Italy follows the same principle) of said country,but ethnically speaking I'm still a foreigner . The government didn't care about the fact that I was born,raised and educated here and that I'm now working and paying taxes.When I applied for my citizenship I was treated just like someone who wasn't born and raised here and that's just how it is, so I certainly understand both sides,but to me it's just not the same.

Edited by lizardqueen

Posted (edited)

Also, looking at her album history is such a mind fuck. I can't tell what era she was in. Everything looks similar or the same. She never changes up anything. So many other pop stars have changed their game throughout every album and you can tell exactly what that era was and the songs based off it but that doesn't seem to exist for Ariana. I wonder if that's like some unique way of preserving her youth to give people that impression that she's still young and not aged at all even though she is pushing 27. I really thought she was like 20-24 for awhile.

i really feel this. i think ariana really should mix it up fashion wise with her next album, it's getting played out. ever since dangerous woman (?), ponytail (fine she can keep it, it's her trademark but ehhh), thigh high boots, hoodies w/ no pants/shorts, her stage costumes are always crop top + skirt... there's plenty of ways to look 'babydoll'-esque besides just those tbh

it's a little amusing that i can tell what era a pic is from by her makeup/fillers, rather than the clothes

rain on me was kinda nice to see :^) because she wore some diff makeup and leaned into lady gaga's concept, even if it was a little withdrawn so she could remain 'babydoll' looking

Edited by constell8ion

Posted

Good lord someone please fix her eyebrows.

also anyone else notice how different she looks when it’s not her posting the photo?

49C529D8-F0C0-4AA1-AFB3-DCDA06CA411B.jpeg

she edits her photos so much with those stupid Instagram and snapchat filters. She’s a high profile celeb posting grainy, LQ photos because she edits them so much. Hence her use of B&W filters constantly because it hides her massive editing. Whenever her friends take photos and post them, or videos. She’s not ugly. But you can see she actually has a nose, her eyes aren’t huge, her eyes brows are totally messed up and it looks like a bee stung tf out of her lips. 
front row seats at her Sweetener tour, I was amazed by how different her face and body looks. Again she is still beautiful. But she is not super petite like she makes herself out to be (when she poses she makes it look like she has huge thigh gaps, collarbones sticking out and she nearly squished herself to seem small). She actually has meat on herself. And she looks 5’3/5’5. Also her face does have some rounded to it. Her nose is much larger. Lips look just as ridiculous though and her eyebrows are super in even. One is higher than the other

33E925EB-3328-4A09-B2BA-0AEEE2245F01.thuCD394F08-7792-4538-AFB1-D13139EFA2ED.thuhow she edits herself vs actually looks