• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Ariana Grande

960 posts in this topic

Posted

The japanese letters made no sense to me, she just used them in the title as an aesthetic but then the video had nothing to do with japan , no fashion,makeup,setting or anything related to japan. what was the purpose of the japanese letters??

Kris probably, she is still salty

Posted

If you take away the vocals its like a skinny niki minaj video.....

Posted

Expectations: a banger about friendship with some bad ass bitches

Reality: mentions the "7 rings" in one line and spends the rest of the song sounding really materialistic.

This one just didn't do it for me. Sometimes her voice is good to me and sometimes I just can't understand what she is saying due to how high-pitched it is. I'm not saying she is bad per say, but just really not my cup of tea. It's like a dog whistle to me sometimes :alpacaworry:

Posted

Also this song heavily samples the melody from "My Favorite Things" (from The Sound of Music)??

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but curious what other people think!

Posted

Expectations: a banger about friendship with some bad ass bitches

Reality: mentions the "7 rings" in one line and spends the rest of the song sounding really materialistic.

This one just didn't do it for me. Sometimes her voice is good to me and sometimes I just can't understand what she is saying due to how high-pitched it is. I'm not saying she is bad per say, but just really not my cup of tea. It's like a dog whistle to me sometimes :alpacaworry:

She always disappoints me with the lyrics. God is a woman was the same. Her songs are just clickbait honestly 😂

Like if it was catchy I would give it a pass but it isn't. Plus the whole melody is ripped of from my favorite things from the sound of music... 

Posted

Also this song heavily samples the melody from "My Favorite Things" (from The Sound of Music)??

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but curious what other people think!

I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Salzburg some years back and see where they filmed some of TSOM. I'm not necessarily angry she used the melody, but perhaps slightly annoyed. I feel like she just made a gaudy song out of a classic as far as that goes. In the original they're enjoying the simple things in life more or less and she turned it into this song that was very money-oriented. Just rubbed me wrong I suppose

Posted

can i just say that she has the most god awful fanbase there is, they're like an unholy combination of beyonce's and 2013 bieber's fans, it's like a cult of middle school bullies. it actually makes me feels bad for her cause everyone would pin their toxic behaviour on her when it's literally out of her controls. that being said, it's hard to tell with celebrities how they are as a person cause they have so many PR behind them that sort of filters their public impression, i think she's a shady person but i also tend to separate artist from their art so it doesn't change my opinion about her music, i still like it very much.

also "7 rings" is literally a remix of "my favourite things" from the sound of music, so doesn't that mean it's a copyrighted material? did they shares the right to this song like they would with covers or something? does anyone know how this thing works?

very true about the fan base - they’re awful lol. 
 but with regard to the new song, it’s sampled like like a lot of ari’s songs (i.e goodnight and go, break your heart right back). she’s the kind of girl who loves the sound of music musical so i can see why she used my favourite things. i believe than when a song is sampled the original song gets a portion of the revenue (?) or at least she would have 100% been allowed to use the song for sampling. 
loads of popular artists do it though... like camilla cabello sampling genie in a bottle, cardi b in ilike it like that etc.

it’s not problematic of ari, i think she likeable to sample music that influences her a lot i.e imogen heap and diana ross. unlike a lot of other artists she really does take a role in producing her music - she works on the visuals and sound even if maybe she doesn’t contribute 100% to writing her music.

i mean on the whole i think this whole thread about ari is kind of unnecessary. i get that there’s an issue with her extreme tanning etc and that is obviously not ok lol, but as others have said she doesn’t do this stuff to change her race. 

i was never a massive fan of ari (unlike my super fan younger sister) until my sister and i met her at a meet and greet in 2015. she was an absolute angel and totally genuine, a really kind soul. thought she handled manchester really well, and she’s been through utter hell over the past year or so that nobody her age should experience. she’s grown up a lot. and although i’m not as big a fan of her new music as much as her older stuff you can’t deny she’s putting out stuff that suits the popular music market right now. 

also, i’m pretty sure she actually speaks japanese (correct me if i’m wrong) so i don’t think the aesthetic in 7 rings is just for the sake of it.

either way, the point i want to make is that ariana isn’t as problematic or ignorant as a lot of people on here have made her out to be. and i think she is a good influence as a pop star for her teenage fans, in touch with a lot of social issues and addresses feminism in a classy way. 

obviously everyone has the right to dislike her music but from following her since 2015 there are answers to a lot of the issues people have raised in this thread. just my thoughts! 

Posted (edited)

imo 7 rings is the best song out of the ones she's released so far, the visuals are really good too

the japanese letters could be a PR thing, because it has absolutely no correlation to the song lol. there's a bottle w something in japanese on it at one point and i think she's also eating sushi (??) but that's it. she's either trying to cater to her asian fanbase or using it just for the aesthetics and that's kinda,, a bit problematic if so lol 

Edited by moonlight42

Posted

Kris probably, she is still salty

?? 

Posted

?? 

Kris' issue, talked a few pages back

Posted (edited)

Kinda feels like a lyrical successor to Successful, and definitely looks like a Hannah Lux Davis music video. It's fun but I don't see myself having this on repeat for days like her r&b/house-inspired tracks.

And if I’m remembering correctly, this is the first time we’ve really heard Ariana flex hard about her lifestyle. Rappers do it all the time but these days they’re typically always like “I spent 500k on a chain for myself, bought a key of coke and then showered this stripper in 1 dollar bills” whereas Ariana was like “I’m spoiling all my girls and myself” 

I liked it, and the line “you like my hair? Gee, thanks! Just bought it” had me dying. That’s so funny. I actually remember when she tweeted that but it was a while before she said anything about this song. 7 Rings was much different from the other singles she’s released recently and I’m glad for that. 

Also is it just me or with this particular outfit didn’t she kinda resemble a girl from a fighting game or a futuristic little anime girl or something? Idk this outfit just reminded me of that sort of aesthetic:

85A66E5C-3D0B-4820-B9EE-3A37F526BDED.jpeg

F447E71D-41E6-4CC0-81D2-771B8D6048C2.jpeg

7750F1CF-CA68-4173-B775-9047FCAE6193.jpeg

I’m in love with those little hair clips on her buns.

Edited by AnarchyStocking

Posted

Also is it just me or with this particular outfit didn’t she kinda resemble a girl from a fighting game or a futuristic little anime girl or something? Idk this outfit just reminded me of that sort of aesthetic:

I’m in love with those little hair clips on her buns.

I see what you mean, it's not quite Chun-Li but more along the lines of a more typical anime girl. Kinda reminds me of this:

428244-hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-2nd-c

Posted

thoughts? 

Posted

the japanese letters could be a PR thing, because it has absolutely no correlation to the song lol. there's a bottle w something in japanese on it at one point and i think she's also eating sushi (??) but that's it. she's either trying to cater to her asian fanbase or using it just for the aesthetics and that's kinda,, a bit problematic if so lol 

All of the Japanese used in the song was just the kanji for seven, or it just said "seven rings" like she used to promote the song. IDK, although I like the song, I can't see it being really popular in Japan. The J-Pop scene isn't that into the whole rap genre as much as the US charts are, so it seems the use of Japanese seems more aesthetic to me (but I've said that). 

thoughts? 

I do agree there's some amount of similarity but I can't say it's the completely the same. I do think it's kind of weird though that she made a hip hop-like song (the general flow, the lyrics about being rich, the talk about "buying hair" is similar to a black woman's experience buying weaves, her use of "yuh") considering she's always been strictly pop, but hey, whatever sells.