• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Instagram is making people crazy?

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I wasn't sure if there was a topic for this yet, and I know it's been discussed in other topics, but has anyone else noticed how insane instagram has become? 

There was a girl named Essena O'Neil who made a video about this, she was a big insta model who claimed she was quitting all her social media because of how toxic it is then like a few days later she was back on social media, so so much for that. She was pretty dramatic about it but she brought up some really good points.

I feel like I can't trust anyone on insta anymore except causal users. All the famous instagrammers feel so fake and only post things that make their life look cool and desirable. Then with the selfies... I can't believe how many girls shop their selfies now. It's like insta has become this cluster fuck of competition, everyone trying to look the best, to have the best aesthetic, the best life, etc. This kind of atmosphere seems to inevitably lead to people lying, photoshopping and just generally being full of themselves. I also hate how full of advertising insta is now. It's become just like youtube, and its so hard to trust anyone when they are posed with a product. Anyone else feel this way or am I just delusional? 

Edited by Veevee

Posted

I'm an avid instagram user but I do feel the madness :alpacafedup: everything is about likes and sponsorship. I can't look at an IG famous person's feed without thinking "I wonder how much they got paid for this post" or "I wonder which company she's promoting" etc 

Posted

ah instagram, the land of the clones... seriously, all this heavy contouring and eye make-up paired with all that photoshop makes it hard to differentiate between one girl and the next; they all look like IMVU characters. and if i ordered a tea-tox package each time i saw one promoted by a borderline-anorexic fitspo girl, i'd have enough to last my lifetime and still have some left over to hand down to my grandchildren. instagram can be so shallow and i hate the idea of young people (women especially) determining their worth by how many "likes" they get. thank god instagram only started gaining popularity as a social media outlet after i graduated high school, i couldn't have coped with all that competitiveness otherwise. these days i use it to follow these incredible art accounts and few celebrities i care to keep up with

Posted

I've thought about quitting IG MANY times because it makes me feel so awful. I feel like I'm constantly comparing my life to these beautiful girls whose lives are so perfect curated to show the most perfect and aesthetic lifestyle. Perfect apartments, cute trips out, make-up always perfect "candid" selfies, beautiful clothes and items. It makes me feel like that's "normal" and me living my every day 9-5 job is ugly and I'm ugly for not being like them, for having my apartment a little messy and not looking perfect everyday. It's like a constant competition of whose life is better.

Lol maybe my self confidence will improve when I don't feel sad over have under 100 followers and just delete IG, but I follow so many awesome artists.

Posted

I totally agree about it making people feel like crap. I've thought about quitting many times as well because it makes me feel like shit when I see all those girls with perfect selfies and perfect feeds.  But you just gotta keep in mind all it is is a highlight reel - They just show you what they want you to see. @surprise bitch I agree I'm so glad it got big after I was done high school I can't IMAGINE what it must do to young teens, it's gotta do awful things to their self esteem. It's like digital high school.

But I have no idea if it's ever gonna change. And I feel like it's warping people's perceptions of what's real and normal. I honestly feel so so bad for kids going through puberty having to deal with it. 

Posted

to be fair i will always take responsibility for my insecurities, i can't blame instamodels for that (unless they're guilty of excessive shooping and setting impossible standards for even themselves.) you just have to remember that though things on the surface look lavish, there is always a behind the scenes, just read this article for instance, it can be that simple to feign "luxury"

it is a troubling thought knowing and seeing how far young teens will go for a presence on social media because of these sorts of influences... it's totally messed up

Posted

I never got the craziness around instagram... I only created an account my last year of high school, in order to follow a few celebrities, and only have one picture up on there (of my cat).

I always thought of it being similar to twitter, in that yeah it can be used to connect with friends but it's mostly for keeping up with celebrities. So when I started hearing about all these "instatrends" and "instafamous" people I got really confused. Part of it too though is that I don't use the phone app at all so I can't search for tags or whats trending.

It's crazy though all the promotions and photoshoping going on there, which aren't necessarily bad but when used with the intention of deceit are.

Posted

Usually I follow photography accounts, but insta-famous people do make it on to my 'explore posts' feed and sometimes I can't even comprehend why they've got that status of fame.  I mean, an IG famous person could post a blurry photo of coffee and get 1k+ likes on it, while a photographer that actually took the time and effort to take a well-executed photo only gets a few hundred likes. 

It makes no sense to me, or maybe I'm just not with the times. 

Posted

12313575_1183677958327926_46518037114359

Posted

I'm one of those makeup clones on IG. Or at least I try to stand out. I use to stand out. I don't edit my pictures much anymore outside of zits and wrinkles. (The smooth feature is so damn obvious like 4srs) But the pictures on my profile that have received the most liked are my old overly edited ones. It's been upsetting me that I'm trying to be more genuine with myself and show of my real talents as a makeup artist but I'm only losing followers now that I've ditched the skin smoothing tool. I'm trying to step out of the box more and try new looks that aren't fucking brown cat eyes. (Haha) But I had a HUGE depression moment when I posted a picture of my lip art and a huge makeup page shared it. I was so proud. But the comments were making fun of my totally normal peach fuzz on my nose. (And a stain on my tooth.) My face isn't hairy at all. I just didn't smooth my skin out. I guess people have seen so much mannequin artists that they forget that we're not all silky smooth and poreless. 

I'm totally over it now because I'm a fucking PULL mod. I'm the epitome of what's wrong with the innerwebs. Kek I'm just saying that we're starting to take it WAY to seriously. 

Posted

Yeah, I do notice this "contest" you're talking about even among some girls I knew in high school and college. But, I follow a lot of graphic designers, illustrators, and photographers too, so there's always something good and genuine to look forward to when I open my feed.

Posted

I feel the madness. 

Expecially around the photographers and the amateur ones. It's incredible how everything is mostly about likes and looking perfect in pictures. I used to have a friend who literally just change when he move and met some photographers that were looking for a few guys to models and just look cool on pictures and he become friend with this dude and others....he was just living for her instagram feed. Making conection and getting more photographers friends and shit. But this bitches don't know shit. They just have expensive cameras and some likes in instagram really. 

We even have a term for those people in my country "buca camara" (camera looking i dont know how to explain this) this peope will only be interesting in you and your camera and asking for photoshoots and suchs things. Usually alternative or rich daddy girls, they want everything free. 

Posted

I stay away from really feeling too incompetent on ig by only following friends and a couple artists. I follow only a few people outside of that, so it keeps me sane, haha. Personally, I get overwhelmed if there is too much on my feed. Sometimes I'll go visit the pages of ig users I find interesting/amusing, but for the most part I don't feel like I'm missing too much. It's enough for me to see whats up with my friends, with an occasional drawing or aesthetic picture in between. I think it's best not to get too caught up in all of it (this sounds hypocritical since I'm on PULL lmao - PULL mostly amuses me, I don't care about a lot of things). 

Posted

I'm actually all about photoshop on instagram, but it's not about trying to look perfect (or as if I have a perfect life), but it's just a funny little hobby/challenge where I try to stay even somewhat consistent while photoshopping myself literally unrecognizeable. Heck, sometimes I Photoshop completely different people to be "me". I definitely hope no-one takes my photoshops seriously or takes pressure from them - not that my photoshopped looks even represent perfect beauty ideals (it's just a ridiculously dolly look, almost like my profile picture here, but a bit less extreme). I also almost always put tags like "photoshop" and have stated several times in the comments that it's photoshop.

Anyway, what I consider the worst madness of instagram is how many people apparently consider it a game to get so many followers as possible! I've had countless people follow me and unfollow only hours later because I didn't follow back... or even if I DID follow back. Not to mention that every other day some "get 100 discount followers!"-account is liking my pics or so. Oh, and not to mention using bots to like or even comment on random pictures! Sometimes I'm completely sure that it's a bot, because the comment is something super generic that doesn't even really fit the picture, or some serious artist likes my terrifying doodle that I tagged as "art" or something. What's the point of instagram anymore if it becomes a place where mainly bots like and follow each other, with hardly any people actually enjoying the pictures and just imagining that other enjoy theirs? :S

Posted

All of these Instagram models are looking more and more alike both the boys and the girls. I only follow alternative models and abaya shops on mine but I see them all the time. I do think Instagram makes people vapid I haven't seen a single instagramer who seemed real and genuine.