• Announcements

• Official PULL Discord! (Updated)   01/14/19

Hi Everyone!  We've opened up an official discord. In order to join, you need to have posted at least 20 comments on PULL! This is to make sure we don't let in any flakes with ulterior motives. After joining, you will receive a DM with instructions on how to get verified! Also, your registration date needs to be earlier than December 2018 so that we don't get a ton of people signing up only to join the Discord but without actually contributing to PULL. Drop by and chat here: https://discord.gg/KDF2kt5 Also, we need to upgrade our server in the very near future. PULL grows bigger by the day (yay!) but  to handle the load, we need upgrades. For less than the cost of what you spend on Netflix, we can continue to host your content. Whether it's $1 or $5 a month, all gifts are appreciated. Please consider giving here: https://www.patreon.com/PULL We've also added a gofundme link: https://www.gofundme.com/PULLnet Thank you for your continued love and support!

Simply_Kenna/cozykitsune [Thread 5]

1723 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Oh no. I've heard the minna series despite it's wide use has a bad habbit of teaching to speak slightly robotic/unnatural. I mean that's gotta be the minorist of issues but long term could be pretty damaging. 

Yeah this is true, but I don't know a single book that doesn't do that tbh. I think the only way to speak naturally is to start watching Japanese dramas/communicating witwith Japanese people early on. I memean in the beginning, you kind of have to learn the unnatural textbook form I think. Textbooky Japanese is more formal, and it's a lot easier and more practical in Japan to start formal and then learn casual speech than it is to go the other way around. I'd be shocked though if Kenna is actually doing studying much outside of class other than what was actually assigned to her.

I personally hate studying grammar though so my own minna no nihongo books haven't been opened for a while...

Edited by Sugi

Posted (edited)

Yeah, very neat for a child. Like, it’s not terrible, especially for a beginner but I wouldn’t go so far as to call it “very neat” or good. 

Judging from the filling in the blanks/tense changing she’s doing in these workbooks, would it be right to assume she’s in N5? I’m not too familiar with the exact system over in Japan, but that doesn’t look like anything that would be higher than Level 1 B Australian equivalent.

Cute humble brag and compliment fishing she’s doing today. Do the work without seeking praise, Kenna.

51C4C6CA-8A2F-4CF4-B44C-1B697DE399B9.png

this is definitely very easy beginner stuff she’s learning, she should not be bragging so much lol Just wait until she starts writing and learning kanji

also her handwriting could definitely improve, it’s decent but not great

Edited by creamcorn

Posted

3A80F1E0-D1F0-4372-8C02-4CE9504C7B58.thu  Damn, can’t believe she’s actually putting effort into studying. Or at least putting effort into pretending to study.

Studying in Starbucks because Starbucks is 

a e s t h e t i c ✨

I don't know anything about Japanese, but I still have a hard time believing she is making an effort just yet. At most all she was doing is making sure her handwriting looks cute so she can brag and ask for feedback... Look guys! I'm a newbie in writing Japanese but it looks presentable!

Posted

Studying in Starbucks because Starbucks is 

a e s t h e t i c ✨

I don't know anything about Japanese, but I still have a hard time believing she is making an effort just yet. At most all she was doing is making sure her handwriting looks cute so she can brag and ask for feedback... Look guys! I'm a newbie in writing Japanese but it looks presentable!

I think she's also counting on her followers not being able to understand japanese so they don't realize that all shes writing is

i am a student

i am an office worker

I am korean.

ect

Posted

So shes just rewriting sentences? Does she understand it? 

Also OT but does anyone have good experiences with Japanese language books and which ones are best? 

Posted

I just imagine  her tongue sticking out with her face scrunched concentrating hard on writing these sentences. Lol. 

Posted

@satinmilk that tweet reminded me of Mikan more than anyone, but who knows, maybe Kenna will make an exception for a Japanese ~fairy boy~

Posted

A litte OT about the books she's probably using

I also used the minna no nihongo books during my formation where I studied japanese for 2 years (9-10h a week) and we worked through both books and 2 kanji &2 translation books in 3 semesters. It's hard, but possible if you study. We wrote 2 tests (vocabs and kanji) and did a new chapter every week. (The weebs in our class failed in the 3rd semester lol Not surprised tho)

Kenna with her slow paced studies probably won't get through the first book in her year there and probably won't really start using Kanji until a few months in.

The minna no nihongo books start out with simple "i am" "i am not" and a few vocabs like "student" "company" in the first chapter and in the second you learn some verbs.

Slowly through the book (25 chapters) you start with present and future tense, then past tense and after that different grammar forms like "i can", "i can't", "i'm (not) allowed to", "i should(n't)" etc.

Honestly the grammar forms are the most difficult and even tho I studied a lot, the pace was very fast and it was quite hard tbh. I can see Kenna stressing out when they get to those parts of the book. 

She won't even learn keigo because that's in chapter 49&50 aka in the second book which she probably won't get to.

The only reason I can see her not failing and stressing out is if the pace of the school is super slow and or she can redo classes

Posted

I was thinking maybe it was just a try on photo until I saw the #ootd. 

She'd own more pants but she can't find any that are flattering on her body because she's freakishly short.  Her words.

I might be not freakishly short like our speshul queen, and I might be wrong, but blue or black mom jeans, slightly rolled up + high-heels (I am not talking about stilettos, I don’t want our no romo kween to look sexy or something) + a cute sweater/turtleneck could make this coat more interesting than ugly, especially when it’s asymetrical. It’s just the dress that screams low quality yesstyle garbage and the ugly ass corset that makes the coat look like the ugliest thing ever. Someone with fashion sense could make it look good.

Posted

Feel free to downvote but Idk, I don’t see anyone saying they expected more from Kenna like some people are saying??

For me at least, I just thought it was ridiculous she was going out of her way to put on her story that people were saying her handwriting is good. Like, it’s not bad at all. Mine isn’t much better, honestly. It just seems like such a stupid thing for her to be bragging about and very typical Kenna behaviour.

And, also, I wanted to know about what level she was at out of sheer curiosity. If I can, I’d like to study at a language school in Japan, after I get my minor in Japanese over here of course. So I just wanted to gauge what level she might be at. By no means did I expect her to be writing Japanese prose. But I should have expected her fishing for compliments 😂

OT but I’m actually mad at Kenna for not making ANY response about her non-apology being written by someone else. Of course, other than her sending her rabid fans over to call us ugly bitches. Like, maybe her manager told her not to address it or something?? Hopefully, when the videos come out, she’ll be forced to address the situation (which will hopefully be soon). I just wish I had a way of being able to reach out to Peter Monn so he could talk about it and reach that wide audience. It’s bullshit that people haven’t been on her case to talk about it, but hopefully that will happen soon!