• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Simply_Kenna/cozykitsune [Thread 5]

5816 posts in this topic

Posted

Can't wait for her classes to start tomorrow tbh :alpacaheadshake:

Posted (edited)

Listed on gogonihon's website for language schools in Tokyo area: Shibuya Gaigo Gakuin (its in Shibuya and promotes slow paced studies) LOL perfect match if you are asking me :D

nihon.jpg

Still looks like a nice school. I've never intended to learn Japanese but the environement would want me to start. I saw on their website that they also give foreign laguange lessons to Japanese students.

Also have a few different courses in function of the time you have. I guess she's going for the long term ? If that's where she's going.
Short term is 3 monts and they have a few more options.

Shibuya school.PNG

Edited by Nev.Landy

Posted

Still looks like a nice school. I've never intended to learn Japanese but the environement would want me to start. I saw on their website that they also give foreign laguange lessons to Japanese students.

Also have a few different courses in function of the time you have. I guess she's going for the long term ? If that's where she's going.
Short term is 3 monts and they have a few more options.

Shibuya school.PNG

Wish I had had the money when I was younger to simply fly over to Japan and pay for a year of only four hours on five days the week to do nothing more than learn a language... That honestly sounds like something I would love doing right now instead of having to work 40 hours the week and still I wouldn't have the money to afford such a course :alpacaworry2:

Posted (edited)

Would love to know what phone plan she uses, most phone plans are about $80. There's no such thing as texting really, it's not unlimited data and it's about 20 mins of phone calls.

She is right she can't get an apt. before she arrives in fact unless she gets a guesthouse she's probably not going to be able to get one now either. Racism is 100% ok here and getting told "we don't rent to foreigners" "your food stinks" "we don't trust you" etc etc is normal and usual, especially for a short term student. Apartment leases here are also ALWAYS 2 years so if she's only here for a year she won't be able to rent one. Maybe she'll just get a guesthouse with a private room and pretend it's an apartment.

Banks don't let you open an account so easily either. Most require a hanko (signature stamp) so she'll have to get one made. A few banks don't but again, only here a year, not working, doubt they'll open her one. You also can't do international bank transfers until you've been in Japan for over 6 months so she'll have to use Western Union if she gets money sent from home. Bank accounts here don't give you a debit card (just an atm card) so it's pointless to have one if you're here short term anyway.
Edited by daydreamcarnival

Posted

Also I wonder what she means by "full insurance plan" etc.

You get insurance from your ward after you get a gaijin card. When you are a student it covers almost 90% of expenses and costs like $15 a month tops. You can pay it for a whole year but it's still like $100 at most. But you can't get insurance until you get a gaijin card and to get a gaijin card you need to have a place to live that is not a temporary rental so I'm confused.

Posted (edited)

imo this further drives the fact that she’s not serious about studying to begin with. i mean she only bought one notebook and barely any stationery to supplement her learning. no guidebooks/practice books to speak of whatsoever, no extra notebooks for studying on her own, which is to say it’s more than likely she doesn’t intend to. i’ve never heard of anybody getting through school and doing decently with that amount of effort.

there’s absolutely nothing wrong with going for what you can handle especially since the language is completely foreign to you, but you’d think that for spending an entire year there you’d actually want to make the most out of it and opt for at least a moderately-paced, standard education? sis isn’t prepared to actually study at all lmao.

it feels so disrespectful for her to have this opportunity and then basically shove it in everyone’s face that she isn’t going to make the most of it. language school was the easiest way for her to move to japan, she’s not actually interested in learning lmao. this bitch makes me so mad 9_9

You know, she could have got extra stationary and other study books, she just isn't posting it... (!) 

Edited by kiwi

Posted

It 's so weird to me that Kenna hasn't figured out even 50% of what she needs to do to live there. I'd never move to the other side of the world and be in an AirBnb. When I was moving to the UK I had already applied for national insurance, had found out which bank I want to have an account with and had paid deposit for the place I'm staying at. All of those before I set foot in the country. Did extensive research on good and bad areas etc. 

I also came to UK for studies so to be starting that and not be sure where I'll be living would be huge stress which is honestly unnecessary. 

Posted

Definitely thought the caption was her admitting she didn’t know how to dress in general... 

p.s.- the skin lightening in this pic is frightening 

6D6CC9CB-4B96-45C9-A4CE-73D24E63A8A1.thu

....who is this??

what's with the gangnam unnie photoshop? attempting to further edit herself into east asian beauty standards, now that she is in japan?

japanese queen 😍

Posted

Sorry but why does she have a black dot under each eyeball? Is this an Asian makeup trend I've never seen? :derp:

Posted

My thoughts as someone living in Japan:

She got screwwwed by mobal. The reason it's so cheap for unlimited is because their service is shittacular. And she paid for their premium insurance because "you can go to any doctor" when you can already do that with Japanese national health insurance. Japanese national health insurance cost me about $12 per month the first year. 

She's blissfully unaware of her own hypocrisies. Getting rid of things what

Stop acting like  you are any sort of close to being an authority on the Japanese language. 

get ready for “I didn’t/can’t do x thing because internet on my phone sucks”  as an excuse 🙃

Posted

Also I wonder what she means by "full insurance plan" etc.

You get insurance from your ward after you get a gaijin card. When you are a student it covers almost 90% of expenses and costs like $15 a month tops. You can pay it for a whole year but it's still like $100 at most. But you can't get insurance until you get a gaijin card and to get a gaijin card you need to have a place to live that is not a temporary rental so I'm confused.

taking that into consideration, it sounds like she paid for travelers insurance.. which is a lot more expensive and literally a waste of money.

also, with the phone thing, I moved to Korea two years ago and when I did the company I went through had the same deal with buying a SIM card. It took me googling once to learn that while what they had available was “cheap” because they had a deal with the company, it was absolutely horrible and when people change to a real SIM card it locked your phone. I’m not saying that this will be the same for Kenna, but she probably should have done a little more research on both the phone and the insurance before just accepting what this company handed to her..

ps: did anyone else notice she used her actual name in the video and not Kenna? In the beginning she started with like “tips for japan by mckenna.” Looks like she’s trying to get as far away from the Kenna name as possible. Maybe we should start to include her full name in the title of this thread..

Posted

Would love to know what phone plan she uses, most phone plans are about $80. There's no such thing as texting really, it's not unlimited data and it's about 20 mins of phone calls.

She is right she can't get an apt. before she arrives in fact unless she gets a guesthouse she's probably not going to be able to get one now either. Racism is 100% ok here and getting told "we don't rent to foreigners" "your food stinks" "we don't trust you" etc etc is normal and usual, especially for a short term student. Apartment leases here are also ALWAYS 2 years so if she's only here for a year she won't be able to rent one. Maybe she'll just get a guesthouse with a private room and pretend it's an apartment.

Banks don't let you open an account so easily either. Most require a hanko (signature stamp) so she'll have to get one made. A few banks don't but again, only here a year, not working, doubt they'll open her one. You also can't do international bank transfers until you've been in Japan for over 6 months so she'll have to use Western Union if she gets money sent from home. Bank accounts here don't give you a debit card (just an atm card) so it's pointless to have one if you're here short term anyway.

Don't know where you got that from but... it's not that accurate.

It's fairly easy to open a bank account without a stamp (I did so), but you have to understand Japanese well or at least bring a friend that can translate everything for you. I opened mine at the JP post, and while they didn't require much, I needed a little help from my Japanese friend because heelllll when I said that my Japanese wasn't perfect they just "kicked me out" and said "please come back with Japanese friend" lol. 

As for apt, same, I got mine quite easy, there's a lot of company that help foreigners to find house, share house, etc... with English speakers. 

As for racism, I didn't experience any so I wouldn't know. I just had a little "thing" at the beginning, when I first arrived in Tokyo and when I said to one of my student that I wasn't able to speak Japanese at all, he asked me dead serious "then why did you come here ?". But... that's about it. 

So, if she has help (and seems like she does), I would say that she would be able to have all this.