• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.

Simply_Kenna/cozykitsune [Thread 5]

10412 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The video itself was sadly privated way back when she made her apology video and it hasn't been reposted to bilibili either, but thankfully I have a couple snippets of the video saved, including this one:

https://streamable.com/rbcu5

She cropped out the url of the person who made the gifset. Maybe I'm taking it too personally because I'm a content creator myself, but nothing feels worse than working on something for hours, only to have someone with a lot more followers repost it. You'd think she would've learned from her plagiarism controversy not to post other people's work without credit, even if its just a tumblr gif set.

I agree. It's one (still not ok) thing to not credit specifically but a whole other story to purposely cut out the name.

I mean why do the extra work? Only to let your follower believe you made it yourself

Edit: whoops sorry, I thought I was on the last page and didn't realize the conversation  was already on a completely different topic🙈

Edited by veraxnihon

Posted

I believe her trust fund is $80,000 that she planned to buy a house with but that obviously did not happen lol. 

How do you know that's the amount? I'm curious.

Posted (edited)

i don’t disagree that 84/100 is a really good grade, but rather i’m put off by her using “じょうず/上手” to describe her japanese proficiency. it could be the way that i was taught in school, because we don’t often use 上手 to describe ourselves. rather it’s a form of a compliment. which we are also taught to deny by using “まだまだ” (mada mada). using it to refer to your abilities comes across as humble bragging imo.

plus, the overall tone of her ig post is pretty telling that she was trying to show off to her followers.

if she was trying to say she was confident about japanese, then she could’ve used 得意 (meaning confident, strong point) instead. just my two cents. 

Edited by suspicious plant

Posted

You can tell Kenna hasn't learned that much cultural context because referring to yourself as 上手 sounds extremely stuck up lol 

Of course it's probably just that good ole Kenna brand sarcasm that flies over everyone's heads because we aren't on her level 

Posted (edited)

i don’t disagree that 84/100 is a really good grade, but rather i’m put off by her using “じょうず/上手” to describe her japanese proficiency. it could be the way that i was taught in school, because we don’t often use 上手 to describe ourselves. rather it’s a form of a compliment. which we are also taught to deny by using “まだまだ” (mada mada). using it to refer to your abilities comes across as humble bragging imo, but i could just be really sensitive about the nuances in japanese language. 

if she was trying to say she was confident about japanese, then she could’ve used 得意 (meaning confident, strong point) instead. just my two cents. 

Honestly, even tokui is pushing it imo (not to mention she probably hasn't learned it yet). In general,  I would kind of refrain from complimenting my own abilities that way, especially if I actually was a beginner like Kenka. It's just nagl. It's good that she's pleased with her grade I guess. But just saying that she tried her best and she's happy should be enough.  I'm sort of hoping that this is one of those times her sarcasm didn't land, otherwise it's just insufferable.

Also-for me anyway- "Nihongo ga jouzu" is one of those  insincere vaguely patronizing "compliments" spoken out of obligation rather than any real sentiment. I don't know a single foreigner who appreciates it or would say it in earnest.

Edited by 虜
add

Posted

Guys can someone please explain what she wrote and why it’s so controversial to a complete non-Japanese speaker like me? :alpacaconfused:

Posted (edited)

Guys can someone please explain what she wrote and why it’s so controversial to a complete non-Japanese speaker like me? :alpacaconfused:

わたしの日本語が上手ですめ = my japanese is good 

she made a typo, it was suppose to be ね not め i think

(edit: did she take it down-)

Edited by Pipi

Posted

i don’t disagree that 84/100 is a really good grade, but rather i’m put off by her using “じょうず/上手” to describe her japanese proficiency. it could be the way that i was taught in school, because we don’t often use 上手 to describe ourselves. rather it’s a form of a compliment. which we are also taught to deny by using “まだまだ” (mada mada). using it to refer to your abilities comes across as humble bragging imo.

plus, the overall tone of her ig post is pretty telling that she was trying to show off to her followers.

i think it's pretty clear she's not being serious. if anything, kankle has been decent enough about not overselling her japanese ability. and regardless, of course she's not going to know about tokui or mada mada yet when she's a beginner, at least she's using japanese at all. making mistakes is how you learn a language.

i agree with @PlanetVenus this sort of thing is definitely why the nitpicking thread was created.

Posted

Come on guys. First of all using 得意 here would be so off. 

Also a language is a living thing and if she wants to describe herself as 上手 so what, just because maybe 70% of Japanese wouldn't do it, doesn't mean one can't. Hell, Japanese make jokes too. 

I did all the time with my Japanese friend when I tried to be sarcastic about and pocking fun at me not being good at something and they did too (私これめちゃ上手やろう? 笑) 

Even if she did not mean it sarcastic here, just let her use the language. 

I agree this belongs to nitpicking. 

Posted

tbh idk why an 84 is anything to brag about... in a lot of schools, thats a C
also if you're not doing well at the BASICS of japanese after spending 3 months in japan, i'd really be worried lol

i'm confused -- in canada (ontario) 80-100 is considered an A. in what country is an 80 a C??? :alpacashocked: i'd be content with an 80! 

honestly i'm just glad she's enjoying school and actually doing SOMETHING now instead of just... not leaving her house. it's slow, but it's a good step in (hopefully) the right direction. i just wish she'd lighten up and not be so dramatic / ' right ' about everything all the time :alpacasad:

Posted

None of this is relevant to the thread. This goes to the nitpicking thread. Next.