• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Simply_Kenna/cozykitsune [Thread 5]

9288 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm surprised she hasn't taken any pictures of Japanese shrines or temples at all? I mean, maybe it's just me, but they're pretty aesthetically pleasing? I think that the color palette she had during the winter last year would've matched Japan a lot better too, if I'm being honest.

Kenna will transform the color red into brown

Posted

She's apparently been studying hard before coming so she can get a head start, and she's been to Tokyo before, yet she can't tell the word for rice from the word for beer? even when the two items would be on separate parts of the menu?

Looks like Christmas came late for r/thathappened.

Posted

I'm so very confused. Just how, how can you order a beer instead of rice?

I'm trying to give her excuses, comparing with my own experience in Japan, but I clearly can't figure this one.
You can see on the menus in front of her that there's a picture for pretty much all the dishes. Japan tends to put pictures of the drinks as well. Even if there weren't any, how can you not understand what ビール is, or means, even without a strong knowledge of the language?  

No like seriously I'm puzzled. :alpacaconfused:

Posted

I think the reason why she went to Starbucks is because she's afraid the staff who works in Japanese cafe doesn't speak in English. 

I went to Tokyo last year and everywhere in Tokyo has at least some English on the menu so that's really no excuse for her. We found plenty of cute little coffee shops and managed to order just fine. Even when we couldn't order, it was easy enough to just look it up on Google and show the waiters. 

Also regarding her recent story. How the fuck do you confuse rice with beer?? I'm thinking it's just another chance to remind people that our perfect Kween Kenna doesn't touch disgusting alcohol. Also to add, the beer isn't even in front of her. It looks like it probably belongs to the person next to her. If it's like the place I ate at with the iPad menus they still bring your food and drinks and put it where you're actually sitting. Not just left randomly on a shelf one seat over from you.  And yeah like other's have said I've never seen anywhere that had beer randomly with the rice on the menu. You get options for your food dishes and then drinks are on a separate page. It's done this way in pretty much every bar/restaurant/cafe that ever existed in both Japan and the rest of the bloody world! A more likely scenario is if she accidentally ordered a beer instead of another drink. And EVEN THEN you review your choices before you send the order to the kitchen.

Posted (edited)

You can literally see a menu underneath the bar in the picture. A menu with pictures and names of the food. I wonder why she didn't check properly before ordering. Or right, because just a r/thathappened storyB|

Edited by mitsukuni

Posted

she said she studied a little japanese before she came to japan yet she doesn't know how to read the rice and beer?

IMG_3424.thumb.GIF.c7e68e7b70777745caca1

Posted

Funny how Kenna is willing to spend $800 on an annual Disney pass but is a cheapskate when it comes to buy a coat to survive the winter in Japan (which I heard is very cold, plus she's not used to this kind of temperature) 

To each their own priorities I guess... Unless she's trying to be *~ r e l a t a b l e ~* but if you can travel to Japan, rent an airbnb for a whole month and buy a disneyland pass, I'm pretty sure a few hundred dollars coat isn't that indecent of a price

Posted

Tbh I feel she underestimated the difficulty of moving to a foreign country.

I feel it will be very... lonely? She is in a completely new place where all the street signs and restaurants are not in her language. She seems like she had the same friends her whole life in California, but they are thousands of miles away now. She doesn't have a car and I've heard it is quite hard to navigate Japan if you can't read the street signs. I imagine she will be getting lost quite a bit. 

I think she imagined it was going to be this kawaii perfect anime adventure, but I think there will be a lot of difficulties she has never faced in her life. I am not really sure she has overcome any kind of hardship in life at all, considering she thinks she was severely discriminated for being asexual. This could be one of the most difficult things she's done in life so far.

As someone else mentioned, she seems to be clinging to familiar things - Disneyland, Starbucks, American food, etc. I wonder if any culture shock or loneliness will set in for her once the initial excitement wears off. 

Wonder if she will make any friends in her language class or if she will just try to cling to other J-vloggers. 

Posted

Apparently she hit the wrong button. Stuff like that happens with machines. Seems a bit nitpicky to have two pages of talking about it. Kenna is a incredibly shitty person, surely she's done something worse than that.

I agree.

the only thing that i can say about this is that i find It extremely sad that that beer/rice story is something worth telling and putting on instagram?? Has nothing else exciting happened??

same with Starbucks. I had no doubt she would go there. Part of me thinks it's just out of spite bc she knows her ""antis"" annoy her about that, so since she's such a child I woudn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons. 

BUT at least pur something else that it's actually ig worthy: a street, a detail, a view, even a selfie. At least show off you're there. Boh i don't get her.

Funny how Kenna is willing to spend $800 on an annual Disney pass but is a cheapskate when it comes to buy a coat to survive the winter in Japan (which I heard is very cold, plus she's not used to this kind of temperature) 

To each their own priorities I guess... Unless she's trying to be *~ r e l a t a b l e ~* but if you can travel to Japan, rent an airbnb for a whole month and buy a disneyland pass, I'm pretty sure a few hundred dollars coat isn't that indecent of a price

Exactly!! It's almost like she doesn't know the basics of adulting. As and adult you would  understand spending money on a coat is a necessity, and a Disney pass is not. It's just a whim and between the two you should know what to keep and what to leave.

also didn't she loooove winter?? Or did she really think winter is just like a tumblr pic of wearing socks bare legged on a bed with a diluted coffee mug. why brag about loving winter when she never experienced one since she lives in California?! 

Posted

I wonder if she’ll actually cook her own food anytime she’s there or if she’ll just continue to go to fast food restaurants to eat

Posted

Did she really thought being illiterate is going to be fun in foreign country? If she can't figure out basic things herself no language school is going to help her to improve her Japanese.

Posted

i love how she said "accidentally" as if she actually knew what the fuck she was doing and her finger just slipped. xD she really doesn't know shit despite claiming to have studied hard. if she knew she was gonna be eating lots of rice, you'd think that'd be a word she'd memorize fast.

and how she's looking for a new coat already when her entire wardrobe at home, even after the depop purge, is literally inappropriate winter clothing? turtlenecks and sweaters and sometimes even a sweater over a sweater. girl, you even brought that giant brown musty looking monstrosity that you live in with you. scarves. all of it. what. now it's actually appropriate to wear, she's wanting some other shit. 

Posted (edited)

Edited: Unnecessary rant about Kenna’s r/thathappened story.

Edited by DrSpork
Unnecessary

Posted

I would say "This will be fun" but let's be honest, that video will never happen. And what are "personal" questions for her? She either deleted those comments or she means everyone asking about money and how to budget. Not sure what questions she was expecting.

Aside from that, it's completely unnecessary for someone who just moved to Japan to make a guide. What does she know from experiencing it for one single time? Just make a normal Q&A. Guess we've already reached the stage of her being an expert on all things Japanese.

Screenshot_20190104-131120.jpg