• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Followers and validation

3 posts in this topic

Posted

This is something I personally struggle with on social media. Don't worry, I'm not trying to plug my own instagram or blog!!

I often feel as if it's a personal fault or mistake when I lose followers. I don't mind it as much on Tumblr where they come and go, but I do dislike it on Instagram. I see this culture in comments a lot, too. ''I think it doesn't suit her'' ''Yes, but you have 500 followers so who cares, lol!''

Our opinion does not matter more or less depending on the number of likes or followers we have, but it's hard to tell myself this. I post my art online and I get a regular amount of likes, but nowhere near as many as some stick figure comic that has an insane reach. When I scroll, I get messages from instagram to '' promote'' my art for a small fee! I see girls very obviously buy likes and followers, so they'll have 1014 likes instead of just 14. We don't pretend to have an audience in real life when we don't, so why would we online? I'll think to myself, '' How sad, this girl buys likes! '' but I'd also like to have 1000 likes on each of my photos. What's the difference? 

For me, it depends on my mood... One moment I'll say ''It doesn't matter! I post my art here for reference, for my friends and myself.'' but on another day I'll think '' I'm quitting Instagram, people will never get to see my work!''  I hope others don't feel the same, but I think we all must in some way.

Please keep uploading art, and photos, and cosplay, and beauty videos for the sake of yourself! Let's just have fun and make some portfolio or scrapbook, rather than refreshing the page and feeling down if it doesn't overflow with messages. 

I'm trying to say, '' Your self worth isn't equivalent to likes or followers!''  Don't feel forced to post things you don't want to for exposure. Stay true to yourself. There's only one of you specifically!

Posted

Reviving, I think this is a tricky feeling to balance.  I think the best way to look at it is that you presumably started your instagram as a hobby for yourself, and you'd still be posting even if it's just for yourself, so try not to worry about how engaged everyone else is.  I know it can be hard though.

I personally have a few "rival" accounts that I compare myself to, just to see how well I'm doing, people who are in a similar niche to mine.  One of these accounts had 2000 more followers than I did but I eventually got enough engaged people following me that I was getting more likes than them.  Then, suddenly last summer, they gained a steady stream of followers until they had more than 10k, and started getting more likes too.  I still suspect that they bought most of the followers (I think once you get more than 10k you can do the "swipe up" feature in your stories and they have a channel on YouTube) but it was still really frustrating.  I eventually let that go, and now I'm getting more likes than them and they've got 8x the followers I have.

I think the important thing is to find people who have about the same size audience as you, rather than comparing yourself to bigshot instagram accounts with thousands and thousands of followers because you are never going to be able to accurately compare your success to theirs, at least not until you're established.  Try to develop friendly relations with accounts similar to yours and support each other, I think that's the best way to gain traction on a platform like Instagram.  See if you can do art trades with other artists, or collaborations.  It's free exposure for both of you and it's also constructive, unlike those lame giveaways and instagram pods.  And while doing all this, just remind yourself that it doesn't matter that much and the goal is to have fun and hone your craft.

Posted

sadly this is really common :(