• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Safiya Nygaard

176 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you research your potential-friends before befriending them?

I personally do. lol.  If I see their social media has racist or anti-vax bullshit, or all around constant drama I make a note to not get too involved with that person IRL and online.  

I've also been in a situation where I thought someone I met at the gym was a potential friend - and came to find out they were bragging on social media about me as the 'poor girl with low confidence and no self esteem' she was helping out by request of the gym owner.   (I just needed a few tips of WTF to do at the gym, because I'd never stepped foot in one before -  it was all kinds of messed up.) So maybe because I HAVE been burnt I do preemptively stalk people and am very cautious with people I meet. I feel like most people who grew up in the internet age would be the same.

Posted

My main problem with her replying is moreso her siding with the victim complex of it all. She chooses to make videos online as her full time job, knowing the Youtube platform and it's faults. As an educated adult woman, knowing what she is getting herself into, and having previous experience with it having worked with buzzfeed she wants sympathy when people call her out? And thinks she shouldn't get any criticism? 

I get some people will troll for no reason - but this is where you have to have a thick skin and let it slide off. If you can't handle that - and I completely understand why you wouldn't  - then she needs to call it a day and find a more normal job away from that.

It's that whole 'can't have your cake, and eat it too' mentality that comes with so many youtubers acting as if they aren't active participants in the choices they make in life.   It's the out of touch with reality that bothers me, with them not even considering they do not have to do this as a job, and clearly they are getting a LOT of benefits from it. Most of their supporters are not even in their ballpark when it comes to finances, yet they want them to fork over their hard earned money for merch, patreon, and now the 'join now' button, as they still get adsense and sponsorship deals. It's like come-on, can you be anymore greedy? and you still want to pull the 'feel sorry for me' card? Nah.

Posted (edited)

The criticisms that Saf's videos get at are just criticisms at that. I think it's normal for people in this age to question her fast fashion videos and the other content related to that. So as of now, I do see it as Saf trying to sympathize with her. Tbh idk what to make of it whether or not Saf knows of the situation because it is a recurring theme where people will support women in situations where their husband's/partner's have done or been apart of a wrongdoing. For example, celebrities still wear dresses designed by Marchesa because they believe that her husband's (now ex) actions do not represent her and she shouldn't be affected by it. Perhaps that's Saf's mentality and she just supports women in general.

Edited by Dream Girl
Spelling!

Posted

Ehhhh....... I kinda feel like Saf is kinda boring/safe. She's someone who's videos I play for background noise.

Posted

I don't understand the massive reaching in this thread. Safiya and Taylor clearly know one another. As far as I'm concerned we don't know how close they are, how much they DM one another, or if Safiya even fully understands the whole situation. I don't see what's problematic about making a comment saying "I hope you're okay now" to a vague tweet. They're two separate people; it's perfectly acceptable for humans in general to cross paths and be empathetic with one another.

I'm not going to jump the gun and call her "problematic" until I see Saf regularly hanging out with crappy people or doing crappy things. These tweets are definitely interesting and I'm definitely curious to see the extent of their friendship, but I think it's a bit unfair to judge based on one tweet.

Posted

I honestly don't think Saf is aware of the menclub situation because she's smart enough to make sure not to associate with such shady stuff. She prob saw the tweet and was like "hey, let me throw a quick word to further secure potential collaboration or shout out in the future". But what I don't like is how youttubers assume that the backlash they can receive is caused my mindless haters and they're are innocent. I think it's very diminishing to viewrs. Safiya should have entertained the thought that the backlash Taylor is receiving is deserved.

P.S. Just online criticism. Reaching out to friends/families or leaving purely hateful comments is never okay. 

Posted

YAWN. I dunno why I feel so over her lately.

Most of the dresses on her WISH Wedding Dress Haul didn't suit her and cut her at the wrong point in the waist, accentuating her thickest part.

I cringed at her calling her breasts bazongas, and her constant sarcastic over-exaggerated movements.

I also eye-rolled so hard at her (of course) wanting to have a bat-wing/bell-sleeve type wedding dress for her actual day.

I mostly snaked through the vid just to see the dresses on, and didn't hang around for the monologues, the searching, unpacking, or the ditzy out in the world BS at the end. Girl needs to edit her shit down - it did not need to be 25 minutes long.

Posted

tbh I'm a bit sick of her wish stuff, i thought it was common knowledge that wish is just cheap chinese slave labour clothes, ofc the clothes are mostly made for tiny asian sizes (hence the waist being wrong every time, they were made for people at least 15cm shorter than her) and maybe do some proper clothing outlet comparison vids? like how good is this standard pair of jeans from these various american made companies etc (idk man where i live we pride on buying locally produced stuff so) to promote better things for her watchers to buy?

idc if you wanna buy taobao/aliexpress/whatever shit but its always pretty consistently you get what you pay for stuff so i'd rather watch her get things I'd want to buy myself? maybe she should do some bat wing dress comparisons, go buy shit from like killstar, some other alternative stores and compare fit or w/e or go compare like $5 ebay leggings to some $80 printed ones from an indie store but I'm sick of the videos with obvious endings yes you paid $3 for the shirt and it stinks just like the child labor factory it came from big surprise. 

Posted

Safiya is just another social climber. She befriended idubbbz' girlfriend and I doubt she did it because she likes her content.

1524452872846.png.9b33d3dca9a5b11254ad44

It's either
1) Safiya is interacting with her because she's idubbbz girlfriend
or
2) Safiya enjoys her content, which means Safiya agrees:
-Fat people shouldn't work out
-SJWs(safiya herself) are lolcows etc

Posted

Safiya is just another social climber. She befriended idubbbz' girlfriend and I doubt she did it because she likes her content.

1524452872846.png.9b33d3dca9a5b11254ad44

It's either
1) Safiya is interacting with her because she's idubbbz girlfriend
or
2) Safiya enjoys her content, which means Safiya agrees:
-Fat people shouldn't work out
-SJWs(safiya herself) are lolcows etc

Holy Carp! She really is trying to nudge up to some of the most shitty Youtubers. I know people said we were clutching at straws when we questioned her commenting to TaylorR... But damn, Daniel... This is some solid Nails for the coffin IMHO.

Posted

I don't really think much of her beyond the fact that she kind of does the typical ex-buzzfeed employee thing where their content/editing style closely relates to that of buzzfeed videos they participated in with the addition of posting content that discusses trends that can be easily found on insta (troom troom testing, advertisements for an assortment of things you don't need, diet fads, etc). 

The only thing that ever really annoyed me about her was back when she was till with buzzfeed, and she would always find a way to insert her nationality and how she would pronounce "rather", as though she had an accent when the rest of her speaking vocabulary sounds typically American-dialect English.

Posted

The Wish wedding dresses video was pure "I'm milking my upcoming wedding for all it's worth", basically standard Youtube procedure. She mentions that people have been requesting it, and I don't doubt that (just take a look at all the "OMG will Saf wear a black wedding dress?? (heart eyes emoji)" comments she showed), but eh, it's a cringey idea and the outcome was exactly what we all expected= the dresses were cheaply made and didn't look like the pictures all that much. Seems like wasted money to me, not that she'll miss the money though.

I did have to stop the video in the "Taking the wedding dresses out in the wild" montage in the end, though. What was it even for?

Posted

xD

Posted

half of safiyas team quit after her Japan trip... I wonder what's been happening behind the scenes

Posted

half of safiyas team quit after her Japan trip... I wonder what's been happening behind the scenes

Oh wow. Where did you hear about that? I don't keep up with any of the staff she has around.