• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Safiya Nygaard

266 posts in this topic

Posted

I like some of her videos... mainly the 'viral' ones. the franken-stuff. the others not so much. I hate HATE fashion sites videos. so I don't watch them, if I do watch fashion videos i watch for the personality and saf... is kind of boring and unfunny

Posted

I had never seen that video, but on the same subject, Kristen Leo has a lot of videos on fast fashion (wish her many many views!):

also, good old BBC!

"be the change you want to be". Like zero waste, like veganism, just because you cannot fix the world, doesn't mean that there's nothing you can do & your efforts are worthless. 

Kristen Leo fucking sucks. She likes to say that she promotes positivity, but half her videos are rants; she has a RAMPANT case of consumerism, she buys a shitton of brand clothes (however "ethical" they are, she keeps calling outlet shops "thrift shops" which.... I'm not sure is correct?) and she's very defensive in the comments when you're not praising her. Mostly, I can't stand the rant videos.

Posted (edited)

Kristen Leo fucking sucks. She likes to say that she promotes positivity, but half her videos are rants; she has a RAMPANT case of consumerism, she buys a shitton of brand clothes (however "ethical" they are, she keeps calling outlet shops "thrift shops" which.... I'm not sure is correct?) and she's very defensive in the comments when you're not praising her. Mostly, I can't stand the rant videos.

I also have a few problems with Kristen Leo (esp her video about Bonny) but she does buys tons of stuff, but 99% is second hand. All her furniture, decoration's second hand, as well as the clothes. She calls it "thrift shops" because it is second hand clothes. She does from time to time collaborate with  or buy ethical brands. I do see her as problematic in many ways, but got to admit that she does live by her values pretty well. (compared to vegans who drive SUVs and consume a shit ton of takeaway disposable cups and water bottles)

Edited to add: I know we should discuss her in her own topic, but doesn't seem like she has one? (and I might be too lazy to create it)

Edited by Ambie

Posted

I also have a few problems with Kristen Leo (esp her video about Bonny) but she does buys tons of stuff, but 99% is second hand. All her furniture, decoration's second hand, as well as the clothes. She calls it "thrift shops" because it is second hand clothes. She does from time to time collaborate with  or buy ethical brands. I do see her as problematic in many ways, but got to admit that she does live by her values pretty well. (compared to vegans who drive SUVs and consume a shit ton of takeaway disposable cups and water bottles)

Edited to add: I know we should discuss her in her own topic, but doesn't seem like she has one? (and I might be too lazy to create it)

Outlet shops aren't second hand, they just get the clothes that weren't sold in the brand shops and sell them in a reduced price because they're "last season" It's literally the exact same garment, tags and everything, in a reduced price. Actual secondhand shops are very few and far between in Greece. Not to mention that buying a shitton of stuff, however "ethical" it is, is still a flavor of consumerism.

Kristen doesn't have her own topic because she's so irrelevant that she doesn't deserve one xD

Posted

i have mixed feelings about the fast fashion thing. 

i personally shop at forever 21, but i usually buy tops and accessories there, and those don't tend to fall apart. i've had certain tops for like five years now that i still wear a lot. but i do know there's a lot of problems that aren't just ecological with the exploitation of labor etc and i definitely intend to stop patronizing these businesses fully once i'm more financially stable. right now, it's not sustainable for me, but i try to minimize it as much as i can.  

but safiya is like... i don't wanna say she's filthy rich cause i don't know for sure but i'm certain she is doing fine. she's insanely successful. she doesn't need to shop at fast fashion retailers and can afford to go places that don't do those things.

but..... i also believe that she uses these stores because that's what her audience, 15-25 year old women, are most likely to be most able to afford and go to regularly. she could go to madewell or whatever but even though their stuff is nice and looks great, i sure as hell can't afford a 69 dollar shirt and someone in college definitely can't either. safiya could patronize local shops which would be super cool IMO, but a lot of her videos are centered around making fashion looks accessible to her viewers, and that doesn't help you if you don't live in LA (does she live in LA or NY? i forget) 

so i think it's kind of not cool to give businesses with unethical practices so much promo all the time, but i understand why she and other content creators do so, and i think for that person to call them out is oversimplifying things greatly and i feel that a lot of anti-fast fashion tends to overlook classism and economic reasons the average person has for shopping there.

i don't watch safiya that often, does she often do thrifting videos? in my opinion that's one way she could get around this criticism. almost everywhere has at least one thrift shop or goodwill, buying secondhand clothing is good for the environment and it's usually very cheap, plus it's really fun and you can get lots of super unique pieces there, i know people do it all the time like emma chamberlain etc but let's be real, safiya's content isn't popular because it's unique, lots of channels do exactly what she does, people like her videos because they like HER and her personality

Posted

i don't watch safiya that often, does she often do thrifting videos? in my opinion that's one way she could get around this criticism. almost everywhere has at least one thrift shop or goodwill, buying secondhand clothing is good for the environment and it's usually very cheap, plus it's really fun and you can get lots of super unique pieces there, i know people do it all the time like emma chamberlain etc but let's be real, safiya's content isn't popular because it's unique, lots of channels do exactly what she does, people like her videos because they like HER and her personality

She did a "travel makeover" video where she went to 3 different regional cities in the US and reached out to local fashion bloggers who helped with the makeover. One of them took her to a thrift shop while other similarly took her to local small business boutiques, I believe. She also did one in Tokyo where Japanese fashion bloggers took her to shops and it was based around the different types of styles there.

Unfortunately I get why she's more inclined to do videos that feature fast fashion as they are accessible to everyone and piques curiosity. With that being said, I am part of the crowd that enjoys the videos where she goes out of her comfort zone and experiments with fashion, beyond the stores at the mall she goes to lol.

Posted

i have mixed feelings about the fast fashion thing. 

i personally shop at forever 21, but i usually buy tops and accessories there, and those don't tend to fall apart. i've had certain tops for like five years now that i still wear a lot. but i do know there's a lot of problems that aren't just ecological with the exploitation of labor etc and i definitely intend to stop patronizing these businesses fully once i'm more financially stable. right now, it's not sustainable for me, but i try to minimize it as much as i can.  

but safiya is like... i don't wanna say she's filthy rich cause i don't know for sure but i'm certain she is doing fine. she's insanely successful. she doesn't need to shop at fast fashion retailers and can afford to go places that don't do those things.

but..... i also believe that she uses these stores because that's what her audience, 15-25 year old women, are most likely to be most able to afford and go to regularly. she could go to madewell or whatever but even though their stuff is nice and looks great, i sure as hell can't afford a 69 dollar shirt and someone in college definitely can't either. safiya could patronize local shops which would be super cool IMO, but a lot of her videos are centered around making fashion looks accessible to her viewers, and that doesn't help you if you don't live in LA (does she live in LA or NY? i forget) 

so i think it's kind of not cool to give businesses with unethical practices so much promo all the time, but i understand why she and other content creators do so, and i think for that person to call them out is oversimplifying things greatly and i feel that a lot of anti-fast fashion tends to overlook classism and economic reasons the average person has for shopping there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4YJwy_T9pM she thrift shops in this video. She also has a video where she uses style boxes, and some of them are sustainable. I think she chooses these videos off how her audience will react either way. Most people can't afford high-end clothes, as you said, and most people will click on a fun video like trying out possibly really crappy items (whether it be tech, clothes, etc.) just purely for entertainment value. (Not to mention, most high-end clothes aren't even ethically sourced -- your 90$ pair of jeans may have been made in the same factory as the 9$ on Wish it's hard to tell when companies avoid transparency like they do.) I like watching them from multiple YTers, and I have no intention of buying anything from Wish or similar sites. It's just fun for some people. 

Posted

I like Saf, she's really down to earth and quirky. I get she's cringey at times, but you can tell that's her personality. I don't really see her pushing anything. A majority of her videos are just her genuinely interested in a concept. I also like how truthful she is, if she ends up not liking whatever she attempted, she doesn't beat around the bush.

Posted

I got scared when I saw this but it's good to know that the big majority here likes her. I like her too; the moment I saw a video of her I was actually impressed with how entertaining and down to earth she was. However she's not my first option.

Saf actually guided me to Cristine/SimplyNailogical and I kinda prefer Cris more. But Saf is really good to. I really like her ugly fashion videos, especially because she combines them and makes a whole outfit with ugly clothes at the end of those videos, and it's just too fun to watch. She's very well informed, and you can see that she enjoys doing what she does. I agree that she's repetitive tho, but she knows how to deliver the content, so I don't really mind when it comes to her.

Posted

I´m really dissapointed in her latest video. The ASMR trend is long over and only relevant for people who can "relate" to it. Maybe it is because I can´t comprehend that "tingling". 

Posted

i do agree that some of safiya’s videos are getting a bit old and repetitive, but i kind of like videos. i suppose it may just be nostalgia because i used to watch her when she had around 5,000 subs instead of over 7 million subs. 

what’s amazing is the fact how she seems to do her best to educate her audience about fashion in some of the videos. watching her videos made me discover many other beauty bloggers and makeup artists. i’m glad that a lot of people in this thread seem to generally like her. 

Posted

As an ASMR junkie, I decided to check her newest video out. It was kind of cool, but I'm just kind of confused over the fact that she made a video about ASMR that was really not ASMR inducing at all for half of it. I think she should've split the video into two separate ones so the people only interested in the ASMR itself could just watch that.

Also the camera work during the interview segments with Gibi were really fucking awful. Why would you do a sit down interview and have the camera man move around? It stressed me out and Gibi looked kind of uncomfortable every time Safiya turned away from her to look into the camera.

The ASMR segment itself was... okay. The sounds were fine and all but I think Safiya got caught up with the other people in the room and didn't seem to take it that seriously, she kept doing this weird crazy eyes expression. She didn't exactly have a calming presence.

Posted

I know 0 about this girl other than my sister kept talking about her candle video. 

But the idea of her ragging on terrible cheap sites and seeing how different the online picture is verse the actual product always interests me. Specially with the sites likes wish. More people who get the information on scams existing on sites like that the better. 

And let's face it the more people leaving buzzfeed the better. If the worst thing is cringing a bit and the fact fast fashion exists it might be worth a shot to actually watch her. 

Posted (edited)

I appreciate the effort and research she put into the topic of ASMR.. Just like the effort she puts into the history of lots of fashion and make up videos, the decades etc. But yeah the video itself was so long, and the topic so niche (and overdone and outdone by this point in time) it just seemed like pandering, (buzzfeed-esque) running out of ideas, and at the end of the day I could not finish it or keep interested.  Plus I have the exact opposite reaction to ASMR  where it's like torture for me.

Edited by CheesyBirdMess

Posted

i like her but the way she talks in videos annoys the living shit out of me

in her candle video every sentence sounds exactly the same. she keeps artificially lowering her voice into this weird, fake man voice at the end of the sentence and she talks in that "theatre kid" way. i'm not saying that to be a bitch, i'm a theatre kid myself, so trust me, i know. but i can't really describe it any more than that. it's like fake joking transatlantic accent? it's just not funny and im sure shes not necessarily doing it on purpose but omg it just drives me up the wall lately i cant 

Just coming back to this after watching her newest video (the home spa one) You really shouldn't have said this, because now I can't unhear it and it's KILLING me :phftt: