• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Safiya Nygaard

290 posts in this topic

Posted

I like her averagely averageness. lol. She doesn't do anything that is out of no where which is nice for me because I like the content she is currently putting out. I feel very happy for her engagement with Tyler :) 

Posted

i'm not subscribed but youtube always recommend me her videos. she's quite entertaining but her humour just feels like r/fellowkids which can be kinda cringy at times. overall, most of the content she makes are very "safe"(well maybe not budget wise) so i don't see anything to hate about.

also i don't know why people tend to think she's some type of "fashion guru" or is she promoting fast fashion. her whole gimmick is trying weird and/or overhyped shits and film the her impression of it. i don't think anyone watch her for advice or actual review, they're just there for her reactions.

Posted

Tbh i'm actually scared when her pull's thread shows up because i'm like "HAS SHE DONE SOMETHING SNOWFLAKERY?! PLZZZ NOOOOOOOOOOO"

But then i was relieved because the majority of comments here are basically positive about her. Phew, false alarm :meowplz:.

Posted

Not sure why you got downvoted so much, because you're absolutely right. At this point she's poured thousands of her own dollars into these companies, and that's on top of promoting them to her millions of subscribers. Sure, she's honest about the fact that some of the clothes are shitty, but I can guarantee she's produced a lot of revenue for all these websites by promoting them to so many people -- I mean, there's a reason why they keep sponsoring her. I don't think it's wrong to be frugal and try to find good deals, but the truth is that most of her subscribers are pretty young and have no idea how or where these clothes are made. I don't think Saf is evil or money-hungry or doing any of this with malicious intent, but at this point there's no way she's still ignorant about sweatshop labor. At the very least, she should put a disclaimer on her videos or in her description explaining that the clothes are dirt cheap because they're made by impoverished Chinese and Bangladeshi women who get paid $3 for a 12 hour work day. But then she probably wouldn't get sponsored anymore, would she? 9_9

Anyways, here's a video explaining this more in depth/more eloquently than I ever could:

I had never seen that video, but on the same subject, Kristen Leo has a lot of videos on fast fashion (wish her many many views!):

also, good old BBC!

"be the change you want to be". Like zero waste, like veganism, just because you cannot fix the world, doesn't mean that there's nothing you can do & your efforts are worthless. 

Posted

My nose hurts just thinking about melting all those candle scents together.

Also, I'm glad that we've found the one woman on the planet who can end fast fashion by firstly, sabotaging her own career and secondly, by sabotaging her own career!

Posted

i like her but the way she talks in videos annoys the living shit out of me

in her candle video every sentence sounds exactly the same. she keeps artificially lowering her voice into this weird, fake man voice at the end of the sentence and she talks in that "theatre kid" way. i'm not saying that to be a bitch, i'm a theatre kid myself, so trust me, i know. but i can't really describe it any more than that. it's like fake joking transatlantic accent? it's just not funny and im sure shes not necessarily doing it on purpose but omg it just drives me up the wall lately i cant 

Posted

i think shes boring

not that you need to have controversies to be interesting

but she's the most plain jane who sticks to safe opinions and content, aka just a video farm like her ex-employer

Posted

I definitely feel like she's running out of ideas. Beyond the first few vids that were new and different at the time, it's now old hat - and it's getting real old, real fast. Her shtick is just not sustainable.

Posted

Could her running out of ideas also be why she never seems to upload much anymore? It's been a month since she last posted a video and I feel like throughout 2018 she was barely able to put out 2-3 videos a month and it's not uncommon for her to go two weeks without posting a video.

She usually blames long delays between video postings on stuff like "filming" or "waiting for packages to arrive" or "editing" but some of her videos don't take DAYS to film and she also has 2 or 3 assistants that help with filming and editing as well. Does it honestly take THAT much time for a group of 4-5 people to finish a video?

If she is running out of ideas then she burnt out pretty quickly then. She left Buzzfeed in 2017, right? So she quite literally ran out of video ideas after doing YouTube on her own for 1 year? (Since by 2018 she was struggling.)

Posted

Could her running out of ideas also be why she never seems to upload much anymore? It's been a month since she last posted a video and I feel like throughout 2018 she was barely able to put out 2-3 videos a month and it's not uncommon for her to go two weeks without posting a video.

She usually blames long delays between video postings on stuff like "filming" or "waiting for packages to arrive" or "editing" but some of her videos don't take DAYS to film and she also has 2 or 3 assistants that help with filming and editing as well. Does it honestly take THAT much time for a group of 4-5 people to finish a video?

If she is running out of ideas then she burnt out pretty quickly then. She left Buzzfeed in 2017, right? So she quite literally ran out of video ideas after doing YouTube on her own for 1 year? (Since by 2018 she was struggling.)

This is what I am thinking! Plus in September she went to Australia for VidCon and had sent tweets out asking for tips of things to film and it sounded like she was lining things up to do a video whilst there - then never did... Nothing came of it. Which is bizarre.

I can't imagine any youtube personality 'influencer' wasting a chance of getting content for their channel like that. I guess what others are saying is true; she's just that lazy!

Posted

She just got engaged though, she could easily milk the s*it out of that and would then have enough content for at least 4-5 new vids. Though she also hasn't posted anything on instagram for over a month, so maybe there is something bigger behind her absence...

Posted

I think she's not posting this month because ad revenue is (said to be) at it's lowest during January. And if you're already low on ideas, might as well save the content for a time it brings in more.

Also idk how much youtubers make now, but maybe she has already made so much money that she feels like she can take it slow and just enjoy her money and free time? Most of her video's do have millions of views after all.

Posted

I think she posted on yt stories that she is prefilming a lot and is taking a break during january from posting.

but yeah she definitely doesnt have original ideas anymore

Posted

I saw that as well on youtube, she said that she will post something end of this week if I remember correctly. 

Honestly I really like her but I only user her vids as backround noise while I get ready lol 

Posted

I rarely subscribe to You tubers but tbh she's really fun to me. I love watching her Wish videos etc, because the difference between the item online and the one you receive is hilarious , and personally she's really funny to me