• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Safiya Nygaard

340 posts in this topic

Posted

I enjoy her video ideas but she's genuinely cringey.

I have the same relationship with Try Guys: good videos but OMG I'm internally screaming every time Ned opens his mouth.

Posted

Read the comment two above yours homegirl, unless you're making everything yourself from scratch or living on a commune, none of the products you consume are truly ethical. Continually shilling this is a moot point.

Not to mention she's hardly "promoting" these companies as she often shows that their cheap items are too good to be true. And no, she is not accepting sponsorships from them? She's pretty well outlined that she picks and chooses sponsors and is capable of purchasing products/services independent of any partnership.

hello.thumb.jpg.34974baf60f1a97c7fd1d932

Hidden Content

I didn't reply to that comment bc the person went on a tangent about sustainable living, which wasn't my point at all. Obviously no one is capable of living 100% sustainably under capitalism lmao. Ever heard of Mister Gotcha?

I didn't say it's wrong to eat chocolate or drink coffee or use a cell phone or drive a car. I don't even think it's wrong to buy cheap clothes from fast fashion brands, especially if you're young and you're not in the position to spend $30 on a cotton t-shirt just because it's made in Italy. I'm saying I don't think someone with 6+ million subscribers should be making videos where she spends thousands upon thousands of of her own dollars (like I said in my original comment, which you clearly didn't read carefully enough) on these brands. If you watch her videos she's honest about when the clothes suck, but she also clearly admits when some of the clothes worth it, without disclosing why they're so cheap in the first place...which, again, is something I mentioned in my first comment. Seriously, did you read it at all, or did you automatically get defensive because you like her? I like Saf too, but when you have a platform as big as she does, and an audience so young, it's important to be open and honest about fast fashion. I don't think that's a very radical statement lol.

I also didn't say only Asian countries have sweatshop labour. I mentioned China and Bangladesh because as an Asian woman, injustice in Asian countries is an issue that's close to my heart. No clue where you got the idea that I'm an orientalist who doesn't care about the American prison labour system, but putting words in my mouth and strawmanning only makes you look bad.

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa.jpg

Posted

I loveeee saf and tbh with the amount i binge on the weekends, I’d love more repetitive content as long as it keeps the flavour and amount of dedication cuz I think her videos are good because she does what she wants, rather than what her subscribers want so to say. She’s very funny and professional as most have said in this thread.

Posted

I never really got into her content back when she quit Buzzfeed, and watched a couple of videos of hers for the first time in a long time recently (the candle video in particular I liked).

She seems like a nice person and does seem to put a lot of effort into her videos, but there's just something very... "off" about how she acts in front of the camera. It all seems super scripted and sometimes feels like she doesn't wanna be there. Any time where she's in public she seems very hesitant to fully commit to looking weird/stupid. And I know not everyone can be one of those Youtubers with zero shame and 100% self confidence, but at this point it just feels awkward that she's still so hesitant.

She knows her fans love her, she knows she will always get a bunch of views, and she always has her boyfriend (now fiance I guess) behind the camera to bounce off of. She's been doing on-camera stuff for years at this point, it's weird that she's still so stiff and "produced" about it all. I'd have an easier time watching her stuff if she was more relaxed.

I also think her taste in fashion isn't all that great, but that's more because I think stuff like supernova is so boring and that's what seems to be trendy atm, and she's the type of person who kinda plays it safe when it comes to her everyday looks.

Posted

I also think her taste in fashion isn't all that great, but that's more because I think stuff like supernova is so boring and that's what seems to be trendy atm, and she's the type of person who kinda plays it safe when it comes to her everyday looks.

Bruh, this right heeeeere! Everyone seems to really like her fashion style and I'm like "... ??" She's an adult woman wearing clothing that makes her look like a bat. A bat! I mean fine if she likes it, whatever, but jeez. I wouldn't exactly go to her for fashion advice. I feel a little mean writing that because I don't dress perfectly myself, but even so :/

Posted

I think what she wears can barely be described as a fashion style, it's literally just the most boring, safe clothes you can get in all black most of the time.

She seems like a nice girl but I honestly don't understand how her content gathers the millions of views that it does. Her video's don't seem that different or more special from what other people do on youtube, if anything a little bit cringy sometimes.

Posted

I like Safiya and her videos! I'm sick of the "melting everything together" ones (and I couldn't care less about her engagement or her personal fashion style), but I like her. She can be cringey and repetitive, but I've seen worse. I especially enjoyed her Tokyo and fashion through the decades series.

Posted

I like Safiya too. I think for me why I like her videos is because it's not the content but how she delivers the content. I'm not really bored of her videos. I dont love them but if I see it in my inbox I will most likely click. I dont hate her fashion sense. Whatever makes her happy.

Posted

She doesn't really follow any style... it's just casualwear lmao it's not that deep. Not to WK but I don't understand why this is criticism because she never touts herself as someone who is alotted to particular fashion scene. She's not Yumi claiming her ita ass DIY is lolita.

I think her melting videos are pretty dumb, asinine even, but I usually have her videos as background noise and I'd check what the end result is anyway so consider me clickbaited. I just don't like how much money is wasted doing them but hey. It's her content, her money. I've been wondering about why her videos are so popular, it's probably because she was a very successful creator on Buzzfeed (a lot of people saying they only watch Buzzfeed stuff for her and usually also Try Guys, Unsolved etc) and her leaving video racked up a lot of views, was super talked about and started a trend of people making videos about why they left (and people just leaving the company in general). Another reason is that she's... very consistent. Startlingly so. It's hard to find someone who has such high quality who uploads often and uploads consistently especially with how rocky and fickle the algorithm and the general environment is on Youtube these days. It's always sad when a creator can't keep up with the algorithm and loses relevancy, gets discouraged etc. so this is welcome. She's honestly very awkward and is annoying at times, but the care she puts into her content somewhat makes it bearable. She also appeals to both internet nerds and normies so there's that. I don't think she's anyone's #1 choice but her content is pretty comfortable and safe, she's not gonna suddenly talk about hard topics or come out as a racist or anything. She feels... safe. Her content had broad appeal and she's "relatable" to most people, and it's generally safe and likable.

omg I love your opinion on her. Well said.

Posted

I like her and I think she's a genuinely down to earth person but god I hate when she says to SHMASH the like button...

It's such a dumb nit picky thing but I cringe every single time she says it. Other than that, I think she's great and I wish her tons of success.

Posted

She doesn't really follow any style... it's just casualwear lmao it's not that deep. Not to WK but I don't understand why this is criticism because she never touts herself as someone who is alotted to particular fashion scene. She's not Yumi claiming her ita ass DIY is lolita.

I think her melting videos are pretty dumb, asinine even, but I usually have her videos as background noise and I'd check what the end result is anyway so consider me clickbaited. I just don't like how much money is wasted doing them but hey. It's her content, her money. I've been wondering about why her videos are so popular, it's probably because she was a very successful creator on Buzzfeed (a lot of people saying they only watch Buzzfeed stuff for her and usually also Try Guys, Unsolved etc) and her leaving video racked up a lot of views, was super talked about and started a trend of people making videos about why they left (and people just leaving the company in general). Another reason is that she's... very consistent. Startlingly so. It's hard to find someone who has such high quality who uploads often and uploads consistently especially with how rocky and fickle the algorithm and the general environment is on Youtube these days. It's always sad when a creator can't keep up with the algorithm and loses relevancy, gets discouraged etc. so this is welcome. She's honestly very awkward and is annoying at times, but the care she puts into her content somewhat makes it bearable. She also appeals to both internet nerds and normies so there's that. I don't think she's anyone's #1 choice but her content is pretty comfortable and safe, she's not gonna suddenly talk about hard topics or come out as a racist or anything. She feels... safe. Her content has broad appeal and she's "relatable" to most people, and it's generally safe and likable.

Totally agree with you! TBH people who say her content is boring... are partially right, but I like that I can rely on her for repetitive videos with different topics, but the same execution. Are there any videos of hers that I'm like OMG, this is amazing? Not really, but most, if not all, of her videos are of the same quality. I think it really helped her that she came from Buzzfeed where I'm sure she learned a lot about consistency, research, and video editing techniques whereas most YTers are self-made which can make their content a bit more freeform. 

Regarding her fashion sense, I think it is slightly juvenile? Her style is kind of "witchy Brandy Melville" to me, and her obsession with flowy black dresses and aliens reminds me of a 13-17 year old's fashion sense, not a 26 year old. Her witchy style never extends beyond a dress with "bat" sleeves and black boots, when you can do SO much with black lace, tulle, different hem styles, etc, etc. 

Posted

I have to agree, she never looks "witchy" to me. she just wears black. with "bat" sleeves.