• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Safiya Nygaard

146 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I think saf is so wholesome and truly a shining light compared to the other youtubers who live in LA lol (along with jenna marbles but they’re really the only ones i checkout). Her content has been repetitive for a while now unfortunately. I have hope that her professionalism and the fact that she’s educated will bring out some interesting ideas.

The only “drama” I’ve seen her be attached to has been buzzfeed related. Her fans in the past have noticed particularly that the bf channels “as is” and “ladylike” tend to create similar videos to saf, even coincidently dropping around the same time. Other than that, her fans have claimed that some of the women at bf have thrown shade over at saf. I think this video wraps it up in a convincing way

Edited by Dream Girl
spelling!

Posted

I'm not a fan of most of her content (personal taste) but I think her videos are always top quality, if repetitive, and you can tell she does the research in her fashion videos. I just wonder where the fuck she gets the money to buy every lipstick in Sephora for a video?? Is it her own money or does YouTube sponsor these videos?

she makes about $25,000 per video from ad revenue, so it's easy for her to afford it

Posted

I genuinely like Saf, I'd be really sad if she started being snowflakey!

I agree with everyone else, she's professional and puts a lot of effort into her videos, and also she is actually a nice person.

Posted

can only agree with everyone else in this thread, i absolutely love and adora saf. she's really great, and even though some of her video ideas can be repetitive, i think that's just her "brand" at this point. i'm not a fan of those make up videos and melting everything together and what not, yet i keep watching them because i love her personality / the personality she displays in her videos.

i hope she stays that way and doesn't turn flakey. i'm also really happy for her engagement, since i like what we see of her and tyler. you can definitely see the chemistry those two have. other youtubers' s/os always strike me as bored and being dragged along for the ride, but that doesn't seem the case with tyler. also, i love all the crusty content they upload on ig.

(this is like the most positive comment i ever wrote on here, i gotta go and rag on kenna now or something..)

Posted

I really like Saf, and I find myself binging on her old videos on days where I cbf with anything, even Netflix. Since she's just newly engaged (I had a little tear in my eye for her because Tyler was so gosh darn sweet!!!) and I liked her dress like the 60's / 70's etc, I'd love a delve into wedding attire of those decades. Even though she said she isn't going to just be a wedding channel, why not for a few videos?

Posted

When it comes to her history of fashion or make-up videos and those decade fashion vids, she seems to put a lot of research effort into what she does, and I think it's great that she reaches out to get help from professionals to help complete the look styles, and accuracy etc...

But I do think she struggles to accept the star/leading role she made for herself, she just ends up looking uncomfortable. It's like she struggles to fully commit. In every video she does the same whacky walk in a suspiciously quiet area with a starbucks in her hand. Then cut to a brick wall montage with closeups of her arching her brow and giving a 'deer-in-the headlights' look and pointing her chin and cheek at various angles.

It's the same every damn time. Oh and if they go to Disneyland one more time... yeesh.

What also gets me is that with the end result she rarely gets the opinion of others on her looks, nor do you see any reactions from anyone around them. 

I do think she is very 'safe' with what she does, so as to be as family friendly as possible to get maximum views.

She is relatable in the fact that she appears to be just a normal average person who is approachable,  but it's at odds when she does those clickbait videos of styling ridiculous fashion items that warrant a more over-the-top personality. I definitely struggle to pin her down, but still ultimately end up watching her vids.

Posted

When it comes to her history of fashion or make-up videos and those decade fashion vids, she seems to put a lot of research effort into what she does, and I think it's great that she reaches out to get help from professionals to help complete the look styles, and accuracy etc...

But I do think she struggles to accept the star/leading role she made for herself, she just ends up looking uncomfortable. It's like she struggles to fully commit. In every video she does the same whacky walk in a suspiciously quiet area with a starbucks in her hand. Then cut to a brick wall montage with closeups of her arching her brow and giving a 'deer-in-the headlights' look and pointing her chin and cheek at various angles.

It's the same every damn time. Oh and if they go to Disneyland one more time... yeesh.

What also gets me is that with the end result she rarely gets the opinion of others on her looks, nor do you see any reactions from anyone around them. 

I do think she is very 'safe' with what she does, so as to be as family friendly as possible to get maximum views.

She is relatable in the fact that she appears to be just a normal average person who is approachable,  but it's at odds when she does those clickbait videos of styling ridiculous fashion items that warrant a more over-the-top personality. I definitely struggle to pin her down, but still ultimately end up watching her vids.

ok but what about the disgusting amount of fast fashion she promotes? Wish, Romwe, Shein, Fashion Nova.... You're out here complaining about her standing in front of a wall too many times but glossing over the fact that she makes a fortune off slave labour? 

Posted

i actually think it's good that she does it that way? like i really hate watching youtubers being a nuisance to everyone around them and you can clearly see how annoyed people are by that random person filming in the middle of a crowd.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I like her personality too. It's ok if her videos are repetitive, that's something she can fix. Personality? Not that easy.

Also a sidenote but it's awesome that she's half Danish and half-Indian. I've never met someone like that.

Edited by Cynth

Posted

She’s not drama filled but she’s not unique either. She still has that ladylike feel of a soccer mom wanting to stay on trend. Or the basic girl meme with life. 

Her videos consist of, “ If you are an adult woman and lived have you done anything of this nature?” Not hating but it’s boring for me because everyone has done everything mentioned in her videos at one point. 

That being said, I think her positive attitude is charming and her ability to not really have a lot negative thoughts about companies like bf is amazing. She has gotten me to giggle a few times so she shouldn’t change her humor.

Posted

ok but what about the disgusting amount of fast fashion she promotes? Wish, Romwe, Shein, Fashion Nova.... You're out here complaining about her standing in front of a wall too many times but glossing over the fact that she makes a fortune off slave labour? 

Not sure why you got downvoted so much, because you're absolutely right. At this point she's poured thousands of her own dollars into these companies, and that's on top of promoting them to her millions of subscribers. Sure, she's honest about the fact that some of the clothes are shitty, but I can guarantee she's produced a lot of revenue for all these websites by promoting them to so many people -- I mean, there's a reason why they keep sponsoring her. I don't think it's wrong to be frugal and try to find good deals, but the truth is that most of her subscribers are pretty young and have no idea how or where these clothes are made. I don't think Saf is evil or money-hungry or doing any of this with malicious intent, but at this point there's no way she's still ignorant about sweatshop labor. At the very least, she should put a disclaimer on her videos or in her description explaining that the clothes are dirt cheap because they're made by impoverished Chinese and Bangladeshi women who get paid $3 for a 12 hour work day. But then she probably wouldn't get sponsored anymore, would she? 9_9

Anyways, here's a video explaining this more in depth/more eloquently than I ever could: