• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.
    • Pokimane Graduation   07/05/20

Hello. Pokimane has been given her own Subforum in the Little Snowflakes section. This change and other minor site changes have been made and can be found in the site changes thread here. Thank you.

Safiya Nygaard

376 posts in this topic

Posted

Safiyah's nrw video with Taylor

Posted

This video was pretty boring and everyone has done videos like this a couple of years ago. I wish she did something more with Hong Kong culture like she did with the other East Asian videos.

Posted

What’s the point of the video anyways? Like obviously cheap rip-offs will look vaguely like originals and will have misspelling. They didn’t even try to bargain to see how low price wise sellers are willing to go and didn’t talk about where do those knock-offs come from. Also Saf could have done this video by herself or paired up with Tyler because Taylor didn’t add any value to the video. Like she doesn’t speak the language and it’s not a place she typically goes shopping herself. 

Posted

yeah she should of collabed with someone who could speak the language and help with haggling, maybe someone who is familiar with these markets 

Posted

weird of her to make a vague statement about the protests in hong kong, but not about how detrimental knockoffs are to the fashion industry.

Posted

She said in the video that the quest was to not get a cool looking outfit but rather an outfit with as many as fake big logo pieces as possible, which I thought was boring af. I mean, anyone can do that, it's not a challenge at all. Why not try to get a nice looking outfit? Most people think fake designer things are trash, so it would be really interesting if they can actually look good. It just seems like she took the easiest route possible (combined with not trying to bargain) which isn't a good look when she also isn't uploading on a regular basis anymore.

Posted

weird of her to make a vague statement about the protests in hong kong, but not about how detrimental knockoffs are to the fashion industry.

In my opinion, the entire mention of the protests was misplaced. She actually has a platform & a reason with this video to give a brief but informative insight about what the protests are about. Yet the way she just basically went "yeah there are protests but Hong Kong is still cool though hope it gets resolved" rubbed me the wrong way- the way she worded it, she might as well could've said nothing. I understand being political doesn't really fit her brand however, she could've at least made it less shallow.

Posted

I actually liked her idea of making a totally-fake outfit. But, yeah, it isn't that original nor was it well executed -especially since Taylor was trying to do the whole opposite with a "themed" outfit (AKA Using the same brand).

However, I think the real problem is that Safiya doesn't know how to share the spotlight -or screen time, when doing a collab.

Her latest videos with both Taylor and HojuSara feel more like a "look who tagged along during my trip" than a proper collaboration, which seems really unfair given that they did an amazing job showcasing Safiya in their channels -and I am sure they introduced her to a lot of their viewer base. Especially in the latest "K-pop Makeover" video, HojuSara looks more as if she is part of her recording team than her companion; just like Taylor is framed as a translator/guide rather than an established Youtubber/hostess. 

It would have been interesting for Safiya to have shifted the focus onto her collaborations than to make it all about herself and treat them as just fans who were following her. I also think she doesn't like to share the spotlight with Tyler, but she has come to accept that videos with both of them together just get more views (maybe because Taylor looks like such a fun guy to follow around).

Also... why didn't she (ft. Taylor R / ft. HojuSara) like she did with Wengie and Natalies Outlet? 

Posted

Probably because they’re not as popular. These people she has collabed with on these trips have been next to useless. The only one I liked is RinRin because she at least provided a lot of information on the culture. Hojusara was just a translator and Taylor R was just...there. She should have just stayed in Japan longer and worked on more videos there.

Anyways, she keeps on hyping up her next video and posted a picture of a smokey eye makeup look on Instagram as a sneak peek so I wonder what it’s all about.

Posted

I'm honestly so tired of her supporting sweatshop labor, counterfeit items, and unsafe cosmetics, and putting these items into videos. She has literally done this in at least 5 other videos and not only is it unoriginal, it's harmful for those industries as a whole.

The Hong Kong protest "statement" really pissed me off. If you're gonna talk about that kind of thing on such a huge platform, mention the people who have been hurt/killed during protests. Mention that people's freedoms are being threatened and their voices are being overshadowed by undemocratic governments. The way she went about it seemed shallow and stupid to me.

Posted

I'm honestly so tired of her supporting sweatshop labor, counterfeit items, and unsafe cosmetics, and putting these items into videos. She has literally done this in at least 5 other videos and not only is it unoriginal, it's harmful for those industries as a whole.

The Hong Kong protest "statement" really pissed me off. If you're gonna talk about that kind of thing on such a huge platform, mention the people who have been hurt/killed during protests. Mention that people's freedoms are being threatened and their voices are being overshadowed by undemocratic governments. The way she went about it seemed shallow and stupid to me.

Yeah, I quite like Safiya as a personality but her channel is like 85% conspicuous consumption, unethical fast fashion practices, and wastage. It's a shame. 

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who almost gave her a view until I see the length of her videos? 

Edited by watermelonns

Posted

I really dislike that Saf collabs with Taylor R a lot now. IMO Safiya has a well-deserved audience for her videos (even if they’re bland and repetitive, she does good research most of the time and her videos are really well-edited and organized) while Taylor half-asses a lot of her ideas. Also, she just has way too much past drama that I can’t really get behind. I always appreciated Saf, as boring as she is, for not getting involved in YT drama, but now that she associates with the shady Taylor, I don’t know if I’d still call myself a fan. 

Posted

Saf’s popularity is a mystery to me. She seems like a nice person but she’s just so boring to me. She has no personality and her content is repetitive.

Posted

I enjoyed her content the most when it was education and entertaining, like her decade videos and history of beauty/fashion videos, Teaching fits her personality and the way she talks.

I agree that her content has gotten stale cause it's repetitive and has little substance. The whole "I try a weird clothing/I mix a bunch of stuff/buy something online" is her sthick and main bread, but they're all pretty much the same video, she does the same thing, react the same, does the same expressions, goes to the same street and has the same outcome, the only difference is the item/s and website. These videos still doing very well, so I guess that answered my question.