• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

345 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What about the  "B-style girls" from Japan?

I think b style does fall into this but I don’t think gyaru does often those two are confused but gyaru has many branches and types so it depends but b style or b kei definitely qualifies for example there’s a clothing store here called baby shoop that’s b kei and here’s just a peak at some of their clothing and some of their workers 

01389372-52AC-4FAC-A3AD-ADE0552DC7B1.jpeg

DD8E9B49-C0CE-45BF-9F05-10FD1619C267.jpeg

263D750C-CBC3-456B-88AB-9C1A4F01BCD3.jpeg

Edited by Dahlia*
Wanted to add a pic

Posted

01389372-52AC-4FAC-A3AD-ADE0552DC7B1.jpeg

The girl on the lefts eyebrows.. 

Posted

The funny thing I find about b style is a few of the half black half Japanese girls I follow on Instagram used to or still model for some of these b-style shops. I mean I guess it’s better than getting a tanned Japanese girl, might as well get a black girl to do it right? 

Posted

Saw her being discussed in the Korean Beauty Youtubers thread so I figured I would bring up Jella/젤라 here, too. She's a Korean beauty youtuber and she's an outspoken advocate against colorism in Korea. Her skin is naturally tan but she darkens herself a lot in her makeup tutorials. What do you guys think? Personally, I fail to see how she's any better than the European girls mentioned here before. I used to think her heart was in the right place, but at this point she's clearly just imitating the Black/Latina girls she sees on Instagram. That's just my opinion, though.

I can see that.

Following trends seems to be a them so far in this thread. 

Is it blackfishing tho? I don't know enough about her yet. So I'm not sure. 

Posted

I don't think she's blackfishing. Yes, she is borrowing several elements from (sorry if I'm wording this incorrectly) black culture like baby hair, hoop earrings etc without crediting it but Jella has never stated or imitated a black woman's behaviour/speech. I think she just kind of went "since I'm dark why not go darker" and went through with that route? 

Posted

I don't think she's blackfishing. Yes, she is borrowing several elements from (sorry if I'm wording this incorrectly) black culture like baby hair, hoop earrings etc without crediting it but Jella has never stated or imitated a black woman's behaviour/speech. I think she just kind of went "since I'm dark why not go darker" and went through with that route? 

she's still using darker skin as a way to attract others to watch her and as a means of trying to seem even more exotic than she is... even if she's not outright using AAVE she's still using black culture and a darker skintone in order to try and seem more attractive

if you watch her more recent video the shade difference between her natural skintone and what she uses is getting more and more drastic, which is obviously not ok

Posted

Ariana just dropped this pic for new music promo and the tan/dark filter is soooo offputting :/ stan Twitter is able to look at her ridiculous tan as a meme and make a mockery out of it but at the same time it seems her and her team are so unaware of how it comes across

another pop star who plays up the racial ambuguity through styling and makeup is rita ora

64888794-2398-4CE7-B5AA-842FB1D5601F.jpeg

Posted

Ariana just dropped this pic for new music promo and the tan/dark filter is soooo offputting :/ stan Twitter is able to look at her ridiculous tan as a meme and make a mockery out of it but at the same time it seems her and her team are so unaware of how it comes across

another pop star who plays up the racial ambuguity through styling and makeup is rita ora

I think its the dark (bad) lighting. shes playing regina george here, shes very white lolol. lets talk about it when the music video comes out because she has many parts in it, but like i said the lighting is awful. it even seems to be blurred/edited so that ruins the photo even more.

Posted

THAT'S HER NAME! 

It's been evading me this whole time, but yes! Her! 

A celebrity I'd put down as a possible blackfish is Rita Ora. 

Rita_Ora_Full_Body_VMAs.original.jpg1_Rita-Ora.jpg

Legit thought she was lightskin with dyed blonde hair - like Beyonce (or recently Ella Mai). Turns out she's Albanian. 

Maybe Dinah Jane too? 

e8c2551018181abe45201f30c7c124f6.jpgDinah+Jane+Hansen+2015+MTV+Video+Music+A

006cff2b769b5707fbd472d46a520ccc--jane-h

She's Polynesian. She's been doing this since she debuted on X-Factor. 

Neither of them have ever explicitly said they were black, but like the people in this thread they have benefited greatly off the assumption that they are. Dinah was even nicknamed "Beyoncé's daughter" because of not only her vocals, but also her resemblance to her according to her fans. 

Posted

Yeah Rita Ora once said that people thinking she was black was good for her career 

Posted (edited)

Yeah Rita Ora once said that people thinking she was black was good for her career 

Yeah I always thought Ariana's tan looked orange and fake, and the fact that she doesn't look white now when she did before seems deliberate. The way she talks sounds like she's trying to be ethnically ambiguous, too.  

I'm new, sorry- this was supposed to be a reply to dream girl. hahah

Edited by Astralworm

Posted

I think ariana is catering to early 2000's beauty standards. extreme fake tans, mostly. while she did get her lips done in more of a current beauty standard attempt, I still think the fake tan isn't meant to allude to black skin as much as it is meant to allude to beach beauty. 

Posted

THAT'S HER NAME! 

It's been evading me this whole time, but yes! Her! 

A celebrity I'd put down as a possible blackfish is Rita Ora. 

Rita_Ora_Full_Body_VMAs.original.jpg1_Rita-Ora.jpg

Legit thought she was lightskin with dyed blonde hair - like Beyonce (or recently Ella Mai). Turns out she's Albanian. 

Maybe Dinah Jane too? 

e8c2551018181abe45201f30c7c124f6.jpgDinah+Jane+Hansen+2015+MTV+Video+Music+A

006cff2b769b5707fbd472d46a520ccc--jane-h

She's Polynesian. She's been doing this since she debuted on X-Factor. 

Neither of them have ever explicitly said they were black, but like the people in this thread they have benefited greatly off the assumption that they are. Dinah was even nicknamed "Beyoncé's daughter" because of not only her vocals, but also her resemblance to her according to her fans. 

I mean if we're also calling out celebrities who benefited from people thinking that they're black, would Bruno Mars (who's Filipino) count as well. That Afro when doing a 90s theme is questionable and I know a lot of people who said that they originally thought he was black. 

I mean at least he doesn't alter his skin color.