• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

301 posts in this topic

Posted

The actual blackfishing that is super obvious aka the above pictures are really bizarre to me but tbh I'm a bit lost on the tanning for whites is taboo - I don't mean fake tan but natural tanning、I saw iam_eloho talking about how going out to get a tan/sitting out to tan if you are white is a cancellable matter.

I've never used fake tan/never tanned but at the same time I've never considered it bizarre for ppl to go out to tan as in my country (mid north EU) it just signifies wealthy enough to travel abroad in the summer and a lot of girls do it to look thinner as well. My partner works in construction too for example and legit gets so dark in the summer naturally just by being outside so I don't see how this is problematic if it's a natural occurrence in the skin and I guess too if you can still see the person is white、not taking on aave or appropriating styles or culture. Wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why tanning naturally is negative? 

Posted

Regarding Ariana and her severe tan, I think it has to do with trying to appeal to a wider audience and that audience being Black America considering hip hop is the most popular genre here. Back in 2013 she was the cute teen Lolita-esque pop star and now she’s the it girl pop star in a generation of ig baddie influencers whose style have been heavily influenced by Black women like Rihanna and Beyoncé. Sus but a different level compared to the Kardashian’s who wear cornrows for attention (Kim) and try to make “Kompton” happen (khloe).

In the way she talks especially over social media, she definitely mimics her stans. Stan culture is a whirlwind since once again, a lot of the terms originate from Black twitter.

Ariana has always tanned though even back when she when was on Victorious (granted it's gotten darker) it's nothing recent for her. I do agree that she tries really hard to cater to stan/gay twitter which is a lot of the time taken from AAVE. 

Posted

i found this girly while browsing those "cancelled" instagram accounts, she has actually deactivated her instagram at this point but i thought this is unbelievable enough to not to share. she seems to be north european too.

i have been eyeing those fashion trends in the north european areas for a while. i went to sweden this summer and i saw a lot of people being basically orange by spray tan. i guess trying to look tan ain't enough for some of them, just straight up trying to imitate another race is the new thing. this actually makes me sad. 

ddddddddd.JPG

ddddddddddddddddddd.JPG

ddsdfsdf.JPG

-OecpSzz.jpg

And it's so ironic because they claim to be "just appreciating the culture/aesthetic" but all that really says about you is that you have more respect for culture and aesthetic than you have for actual black people

Posted

The actual blackfishing that is super obvious aka the above pictures are really bizarre to me but tbh I'm a bit lost on the tanning for whites is taboo - I don't mean fake tan but natural tanning、I saw iam_eloho talking about how going out to get a tan/sitting out to tan if you are white is a cancellable matter.

I've never used fake tan/never tanned but at the same time I've never considered it bizarre for ppl to go out to tan as in my country (mid north EU) it just signifies wealthy enough to travel abroad in the summer and a lot of girls do it to look thinner as well. My partner works in construction too for example and legit gets so dark in the summer naturally just by being outside so I don't see how this is problematic if it's a natural occurrence in the skin and I guess too if you can still see the person is white、not taking on aave or appropriating styles or culture. Wondering if anyone could shed some light as to why tanning naturally is negative? 

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks tanning is anything negative. 

It's just some of the women in this thread try to pass off using foundation that is NC40++ as their natural skintone or in order to match their tan bodies to their faces. Look at Emma's video - she's using a foundation shade that could match Jackie Aine and is trying to pass it off as natural. 

I think what iam_eloho meant is that sometimes people take tanning too far. Unless you're a construction worker or something, there's no real reason to overdo it with the tanning, but a lot of people are. It may occur naturally, but also people do burn themselves and ruin their skin by doing too much. I don't think it's inherently a cancellable offense, and I don't think iam_eloho thinks so either. Don't misinterpret distrusting these catfish to just regular people wanting a tan. I don't believe anyone's canceling regular joe-schmoes and Mary-Beths for getting a tan on vacation. 

Posted

some of the comments on here are so disappointing

Posted

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks tanning is anything negative. 

It's just some of the women in this thread try to pass off using foundation that is NC40++ as their natural skintone or in order to match their tan bodies to their faces. Look at Emma's video - she's using a foundation shade that could match Jackie Aine and is trying to pass it off as natural. 

I think what iam_eloho meant is that sometimes people take tanning too far. Unless you're a construction worker or something, there's no real reason to overdo it with the tanning, but a lot of people are. It may occur naturally, but also people do burn themselves and ruin their skin by doing too much. I don't think it's inherently a cancellable offense, and I don't think iam_eloho thinks so either. Don't misinterpret distrusting these catfish to just regular people wanting a tan. I don't believe anyone's canceling regular joe-schmoes and Mary-Beths for getting a tan on vacation. 

thanks for taking the time to reply and explain、I was a little bit lost on it and trying to understand the full spectrum of this situation :alpacaheadshake: I agree that the skintone fakery is ridic、I would have thought the Emma girl was 100% a black woman without these callouts which is just not right at all..

Posted (edited)

This happens a lot in the "Non Asians pretending to be Asian" threads too. 

I think it's because it's a mixture of wanting to be seen as exotic (I've heard that mixed is starting to replace just plain white as desirable across the pond, but I don't know if that's true or not), not being considered super pretty in their country of origin, following trends, and for some, to show off their superiority. 

It's awful, because no matter if they think this is just another form of appreciation, all it's really doing is putting out the message that white girls are better looking black-women than actual black women. And, like another user said, they're getting sponsorships and deals with black-owned beauty brands on the basis of them appearing to be black. So, many of them trying to backtrack and say they weren't pretending to be black after getting exposed now is really disgusting considering they were completely okay with taking people's money based on the assumption that they were black or mixed-black before. 

Especially Emma. 

You saw the black women following you based on the assumption that you're black and said nothing. 

You took deals from black-owned businesses to advertise their products. 

You knew people thought you were black. 

And you. Said. Nothing. For. YEARS! 

Now that you're caught, you're pulling out every excuse in the book to make it seem like you weren't trying to pretend to be black, and it's BS. 

People are actually defending her too based on this BS explanation. 

Definetely not true. 

but I´d say being ´´exotic´´ has Always been more interesthing anywhere in the world. if you go to Japan you are more interesthing to people if you come from a ´´far exotic land´´ than if you were another regular japanese person. Where I am from, even my great grandfather was once considered ´´exotic´´ in our family too and he was german which is right next to our border. 

But I also do not think these girls(atleast most of them) actually want to be black or change race, hence why they easily admit to not being black. if you compare it to some kboos or wboos they are a lot more persistent and a lot more delusional.

I think (most of) these girls want to be kardashian beautiful more than anything rather than change race. all these things I see are pretty much features that the kardashians made an ´´it´´ thing. I think its simply trend hopping going on here. and another look will be popular in another few years and then they go after that. it is Always a certain type of people who drop their entire persona as soon as the trend change.

though botox lips and tanning have been around for ages and have been popular for a very long time, yet people only seem to take notice to them now to my surprise.

in many eu countries bigger lips are seen as more feminine/youthful, 

even though they do not make you look any younger....not even by a day! 

And I saw someone mentioning snooki but snooki isnt white herself, snooki was adopted by white italians though!

Edited by Kiko

Posted

There was a Swedish tanning company that got in trouble like 2 years ago for their extreme self tanners basically changing you from white to black. There's a teenvogue article about it but the pics are all deleted. Fortunately, the internet never forgets.

cxcffds.thumb.PNG.052b9cd70f8d13c4a9f1d1

dfhfgd.thumb.PNG.ccc105ea1c3d7032c9f6d4a

tan4.thumb.jpg.9c767d7809bb735397cf7a4b4

Basically, this isn't a new concept and especially not for Europeans. White people will tan themselves to levels that are naturally unobtainable to them to look exotic. Here in Sweden fake tans go in and out of trend all the time, and most people at least claim to be so tan obsessed because we usually have 6 months a year where the sun is nowhere to be seen, so self tanner is a way to not look sickly in the colder months. That excuse doesn't really hold imo when they go to these levels of tanner that look pretty much like blackface.

Posted

Definetely not true. 

but I´d say being ´´exotic´´ has Always been more interesthing anywhere in the world. if you go to Japan you are more interesthing to people if you come from a ´´far exotic land´´ than if you were another regular japanese person. Where I am from, even my great grandfather was once considered ´´exotic´´ in our family too and he was german which is right next to our border. 

But I also do not think these girls(atleast most of them) actually want to be black or change race, hence why they easily admit to not being black. if you compare it to some kboos or wboos they are a lot more persistent and a lot more delusional.

I think (most of) these girls want to be kardashian beautiful more than anything rather than change race. all these things I see are pretty much features that the kardashians made an ´´it´´ thing. I think its simply trend hopping going on here. and another look will be popular in another few years and then they go after that. it is Always a certain type of people who drop their entire persona as soon as the trend change.

though botox lips and tanning have been around for ages and have been popular for a very long time, yet people only seem to take notice to them now to my surprise.

in many eu countries bigger lips are seen as more feminine/youthful, 

even though they do not make you look any younger....not even by a day! 

And I saw someone mentioning snooki but snooki isnt white herself, snooki was adopted by white italians though!

The thing is tho the Kardashian’s take/in some cases steal looks and ideas from from Black women. There always seems to be a coincidence when women like Rihanna or Beyonce debut a look and then the Kardashian’s do it next in which it becomes a trend. Also Black owned businesses in beauty and fashion have accused them of plagiarism.

But I do agree that some of the women in this thread may not be outright wanting to change their race and moreso following the trends of the Kardashian’s. If so that’s a case of blindly culture vulturing and imo that discussion would be appropriate in this thread. As a nonblack poc in America that’s just my perception but it def all goes back to beauty standards.

As for Snooki, she has only said that she was Chilean so she could possibly just be a white Latina but please correct me if I’m wrong if she’s ever mentioned being something like mestizo or native lol

Posted

Here’s one more btw does anyone know why most of them are north european? I expected most of them to be white americans but it seems like it’s more popular in europe. 

Let me tell you why. 

Europe is not America, people don't look at people as 'white' 'black' blah blah, humans are just humans, Citizens of Europe coexist together and respect eachother. Some choose to curl their hair, some straighten them. Some tan, some take measures to stay as pale as possible. No one owns a hairstyle or a 'level of tan'. You can't steal it from anyone. Blackface is offensive because its dressing as a caricature of a black person to mock them. Are these random swedish girls mocking anyone? They simply look like they tan a lot. Can you hold them accuntable for what some douchebags from another continent, completely unrelated to her did a hundred years ago? No, that would be unfair. 

In Europe racism is not prevalent, you can't go around and tell people they owned slaves etc because they didn't, nor did their ancestors. I would even go as far to say these chicks are not hurting anyone. If anything, I would even find it flattering if anyone saw my appearence as their goal. 

Posted

Swedish person here! Let me tell you something racism exist in europe and in many cases it's hidden especially in scandinavia since were so afraid of conflict(our culture) but behind peoples backs there's a lot of shady things done. A lot of swedish people call black the n word behind their backs etc, were not colour blind but ethnicity has a big part in our culture as well. 

It is very respectable that you at least acknowledge this. Thank you.

Posted (edited)

What are some examples of racism in Europe? There's no police violence, quotas or social privileges. I am an 'ethnic' person and i've experienced life in both western and eastern europe. In 'progressive countries' different ethnicities are just neutral faces in an extremely diverese crowd. In Eastern Europe which is more ethnically homogenous anyone 'exotic' is either neutral or sometimes praised, somewhat like westerners when they visit China. J005422 said Sweden is racist because there are several assholes who say the N word, but don't all places have assholes? Imigrants who come to Europe succesfully assimilate if they just try. Some form silos, some choose to blend in with the locals. I'm waiting for a logical explanation. If an 'ethnic' person choses to move to a caucasian majority country, they will be much better off moving anywhere in Europe, then to places with rampant racism, like Emirates (where i have also lived). 

I respect your opinions but I'm genuinely interested why would anyone find it offensive. I'm still waiting for a logical explanation.

I can refute many things like  saying there are no social privileges. For example, treatment of gypsies or refugees vs blonde average German. You have lived in these places so remember that not too long ago in a time when we have cell phones, there was genocide in Europe. 

‘Ethnic’ person is too broad to have any meaning. Your experience does not speak for others. Often this ‘praise’ is really just pointing fingers like “look at that, it is different”, it’s not the kind of praise where they want to be like you, live your life including your struggles.

Also, these people aren’t trying to assimilate. They are trying to stand outside of the norm to seem ‘special’ when they are not. And the offensive part (and this is almost universal) is that immigrants often face many troubles because they stand out and struggle to assimilate due to things completely not of their control. These race fakers are pretending to do it (if you can call it that) without having to deal with any of the negative troubles a normal immigrant will face. 

Imagine going to a Halloween party as a cancer patient, then imagine being a person who actually is struggling with cancer. You get to have fun by choice but no matter how much they want it to not be, this is their reality and daily battle which they can’t leave tomorrow or when the party ends. It’s a overly long explain but does that make sense?

Edited by Tina

Posted

The logical explanation is right in the text you're writing yourself. There is racism everywhere and people have already stated a few examples. Lot's is done behind peoples back. People are ignorant af, but it's also a bit of a generational thing from my experience and the people you surround yourself with. Or the area where you live. In the city where I live now there are lots of different people from different ethnic groups. Compare that to my hometown a few kilometres away and I was one of the 5 asian kids in my year at that school I went to (there were like 2 schools in that town and my school had around 1500 students) and there were even less black kids in my town, almost none all blonde and blue eyed people. When I moved to the big city I noticed some more black and asian families though. I grew up with some weird comments thrown at me frequently, adults, kids, all of them did it even some members of my non asian family. It was quite normal at the time and if I said anything back it was like I was ruining everyones time. People hadn't learned yet that that behavior wasn't normal. I feel like things are very slowly changing now and my generation is far better mannered and educated. Still depends on the people you surround yourself with though.

I think you just simply don't get the problem when talking about this specific issue why this topic is made, I feel like this has already been explained well enough by other posters but here are some videos, 

There are many more. 

To me what really makes this more problematic is the fact that race-faking people do this not because they especially like or appreciate black culture or whatever but because they are making profit by doing this. They get brand deals from freaking natural hair brands while wearing wigs and weaves. All because bi-racial people are trendy, but they aren't even bi-racial they are all 100 percent white.