• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.
    • Reputation Has Increased!   07/06/20

Hello. You have been asking for it and it is finally here. We have increased the number of reputation given in a day from 25 to 50. We will see how well 50 works out and if that is enough. Please continue to provide feedback and we will reevaluate as needed. This change has been added to the site changes thread located here. Happy repping. Thank you.

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

482 posts in this topic

Posted

Those Selena pics give me a 90s hip hop vibe, but they're so bad! They're blurry in strange places, the expressions she's making sure vacant and very odd. It just looks so strange.

Slightly off topic, but I remember telling my friends about how since I'm mixed people often ask me what my ethnicity is, and how strange it is to experience. And my white friends were always confused and doubtful it was a thing that happened that often, until someone came up to me and in the most awkward way, as is tradition, and asked me what my ethnicity was, right in front of them. My friends were a little weirded out at the encounter and the language the person used and it's so small but they still talk about how weird it was because it is weird if you have the mind to realize it. 

And that's kind of a summary of my issue with blackfishers. They're often going for a look that's racially ambiguous and I bet they absolutely love when they're in situations like that and completely lack the ability to read the undertones of ignorance or racism. Like when someone asks me what I am and implies there's no way I was born here and that it's so novel and strange and unthinkable to them for my father to have married a black immigrant, I feel uncomfortable and othered. I'm left to wonder what their intentions are with the conversation because it has gone badly. But I would bet gold blackfishers cream their panties to this kind of nonsense. It's why they get mad when it's pointed out. They revel in the kind of attention the ethnicity they're going for generally dislikes. 

Posted (edited)

As Told By Kenya on YT does a good job of breaking down blackfishing in one of her recent videos. 
It is so wild to me that people do this and actually try to justify their actions. It’s wilder still that they get clout for this kind of behavior, while black women are treated like shit on a daily basis. Also damn, I had no clue Bad Bhabie was 17.
Lastly, wtf is up with Selena Gomez’s recent photo shoot with Interview Mag... I get that she isn’t necessarily in charge of styling but doesn’t she have a say? Is she totally unaware of the social climate when it comes to these things or did she just not care?? Y’all can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t recall her being that tanned in other photos and the baby hairs, the plaits... just screams blackfishing to me. I also feel like the shoot was noticeably more sexual than her spreads usually are (the ones I’ve seen, at least)— which coincides with the media’s excessive sexualization of black women. Idk if Im just sensitive to the issue but what do you guys think? 

BC723974-8096-4575-A6C6-FACC805AFC8D.jpeg

088FB273-E09F-4B08-A4C0-06C0091B579A.jpeg

FC6898A1-E3D0-4A1B-823B-7572A487B59B.jpeg

69707A1D-C437-4AE6-B521-E804F2290A34.jpeg

38EFCA33-A4F3-4E58-89C4-432FB64A6AA6.jpeg

24FC1872-45A0-4D18-94C1-31524D74F1E0.jpeg

bruh isn’t she the same one who tweeted this with her whole chest. I still can’t forgive her for this....

1E946846-7EBA-4E2C-B0EB-A34F0DB940ED.jpeg

Edited by Mininuma

Posted

I will never forgive the Internet for making Danielle Bregoli famous. If Danielle were a dark-skinned black girl, she would have been dismissed as "just another ghetto/ratchet black chick" the moment she stepped onto Dr. Phil's show. Never would've been given an ounce of fame. Ghetto-ness is always cute and funny unless it's on a black person.

Fucking this especially other black people (more so the weird ass pedos) for supporting this but in the same breathe talk shit about BW who acts the same way.  

Posted (edited)

Fucking this especially other black people (more so the weird ass pedos) for supporting this but in the same breathe talk shit about BW who acts the same way.  

^^^THIS! 

So many pedos religiously follow this little girl and encourage her behavior, and nobody's talking about it. It's like she has an audience of groomers. It's disgusting! 

Edited by ZapGold
Fixed autocorrect

Posted

I'm from southern Europe but we have a lot of immigrants from our country living in Scandinavian countrys, they are mostly a third generation living there and are comming here just on holidays, what I've noticed about Sweden or Denmark is that most young people living in there are obssesed with tanning and being tanned. Most of these people already go in tanning salons or spraytann themselfs before they come here so they always look orange and tan and them they spend most of their holidays getting tanned.

Posted

I'm from southern Europe but we have a lot of immigrants from our country living in Scandinavian countrys, they are mostly a third generation living there and are comming here just on holidays, what I've noticed about Sweden or Denmark is that most young people living in there are obssesed with tanning and being tanned. Most of these people already go in tanning salons or spraytann themselfs before they come here so they always look orange and tan and them they spend most of their holidays getting tanned.

I grew up in Denmark and what you've said, that really depends on the person, and their background. In my area spraytan is considered ''lowclass'' for lack of better word and very few people do it. Most Scandinavians tan for two reasons, one being we have little natural sun in winter, and due to many cloudy days also few enjoyable summerdays, so people tan for vitamin D, the second reason is aesthetic because Scandinavian skin does not pick up much colour, and otherwise looks quite sickly and frankly really bad in contrast to most summer clothes. and by tanning i do mean outside in the sun, not sprayed on. But there are some girls who put a little tanner on their legs in start of summer

Posted

Tanning is different from Blackfishing, as has been discussed extensively in this thread. 

Posted

I don't think I will ever be able to understand the people who are trying to pass as an other race to be seen as 'exotic' or for the aesthetics.

Some people are comparing 'this' with skin bleaching, they say that everyone should be able to do whatever they want. I disagree. Skin bleaching is NOT the same, it is caused by: self-hating, colourism, racism etc. While the girls blackfishing are gaining from this (getting sponsorships from black owned companies, getting black fans, seen as "exotic"). By the end of the day they can wash everyting off. And go through life as a non-black woman, whitout facing the struggles black women go trough.

Yeah, they may have some insecurities by thinking that if they look a certain way, they will be seen as more pretty. But it's not the same as skinbleaching. And we shouldn't encourage both of it by saying "everyone should be able to do whatever they want."

Posted

I don't think I will ever be able to understand the people who are trying to pass as an other race to be seen as 'exotic' or for the aesthetics.

Some people are comparing 'this' with skin bleaching, they say that everyone should be able to do whatever they want. I disagree. Skin bleaching is NOT the same, it is caused by: self-hating, colourism, racism etc. While the girls blackfishing are gaining from this (getting sponsorships from black owned companies, getting black fans, seen as "exotic"). By the end of the day they can wash everyting off. And go through life as a non-black woman, whitout facing the struggles black women go trough.

Yeah, they may have some insecurities by thinking that if they look a certain way, they will be seen as more pretty. But it's not the same as skinbleaching. And we shouldn't encourage both of it by saying "everyone should be able to do whatever they want."

I've seen soo many white British girls (I know tanning is prevalent pretty much everywhere but British girls seem to be the most defensive about it) online act like they've completely destroyed the argument by bringing up skin bleaching. They genuinely say stupid stuff like "black girls can bleach their skin so why can't I tan?" It's soo insensitive and ignorant of all the aspects that go into someone wanting to lighten their skin like that.

Posted

This is why I wanted to come in here and voice my opinion on why girls who do these kind of things are so problematic. Because to them it is all an aesthetic that they can benefit from (the attentions) without having to live through the struggle that POC have to face every single day. I feel that this pandemic and what’s happening now with our world emphasizes the struggles that they have to go through  enough already. So to those who think that black girls are beautiful, great. I think they are beautiful too, but please don’t take that away from POC to make it to your own just for the sake of attentions. This is not the kind of attentions that are necessary to be beautiful. Instead, this will only emphasize the insecurity and lack of acknowledge in how much privilege  they really have.

Posted (edited)

I agree. 

I grew up in a country where skin bleaching used to be very common with the majority of people having dark skin. It still is, but not as bad as before. People are more and more appreciating dark skin. With all the remarks I heard while growing up, or the amount of people praising people with lighter skin (either natural or not), I am lucky I always have been proud of my dark skin. When I see people really comparing skin bleaching to blackfishing/blackface, I realise how ignorant they are.

One stems for self-hate/ignorance/dictat of Western  standards. The other? Just profiting off an aesthetic that completely ignores the stuggles of the people from whom it comes from. Just because being black/racially ambigous is "trendy" now, but of course, not dark skin, just the features that come with it. 

Edit: Also what irks me is when people give the "it's just a hairstyle" card.

In my country and  traditional/ancient Africa these hairstyles had societal meanings. 

Black women have been denied jobs, ridiculed, made fun off because of their hair and hairstyles. So no, it's not "just a hairstyle".

Edited by Voielactee

Posted

I don’t know if you guys know or follow ssssamanthaa (the beauty guru) but she addressed on her Instagram story about her previous blackface incident when she was younger. I’m not bringing this up to hurt her to call her out but because she had recently posted a story on this issue which I thought would be helpful to this thread.
5A8B4666-40FA-4946-B795-1886C23FD635.thu

she had written an apology before,

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Qpdal

but I think that this time she really hit it on the nail with why it was so wrong and how it had made her feel and she didn’t avoid it. I feel like she was re-educating herself to be better and that’s how they all should start. 

link to her story:

https://instagram.com/stories/ssssamanthaa/2321471426145315137?igshid=x31db7v021fw

What she said in the story:

“Hey guys so umm listen I just finished recording my podcast that will be up on Wednesday. It’s very last minute. We wanted to record an episode that would talk about everything that’s going on. George Floyd, blacklivesmatter movement and all that. So that will be all up on Wednesday. 
In the mean time, if you’re somebody that is annoyed with how your timeline is looking right now. If you’re somebody that doesn’t understand why alllivesmatter is not an appropriate response to blacklivesmatter and you want to understand, I urge you to message me. I’d love to connect with you, I’d love to help...*her dog came to interrupt her* 

I wanna help educate people on these topic, these things I’ve slowly been educating myself about. You know throughout my adult life. I want more people to be involve in the conversation and feel like you have the tools and the knowledge to do so. As well as, you know, have the power enough to do that. And and feeling confidence enough to speak up. Because it’s... it’s important. It’s important that we’re here for the black communities, it’s important that are willing to (couldn’t clearly hear the word) their voices. So if you have any questions, if you have things that bothers you that you’ve never understood or whatever kinda thing. Let’s keep the conversation going here. 
I think in saying that it’s important to note that I am very obviously clearly, you know, not an authority when it comes to black issues or education around racial issues. But I’m a person that have benefited from white privileged obviously my entire life. I’m someone that had to do a lot of unlearning and I’m continuing to do a lot of unlearning, you know, about how I contribute to racism whether that’s overtly or covertly every single day. So I’d love to talk to you more about it if you want to talk to me about it.”
DD801B6D-7C29-4115-B999-EFB8E49FD0BE.thu

“So for those that aren’t aware. This has kinda circulated around the internet now and again. In connection with me obviously because it was me. So when I was umm... 17 or 18 um.. I did blackface make up. I painted my face to look like a photo of Nicki Minaj. And I had posted that on my personal Facebook and almost more offensive than the blackface, you could say was my caption was “just wanted to be black for a day”. Perfect Sam. 
And of course this is the internet. Somebody had found it and I believe it was posted first to Tumblr maybe and then to Reddit and then you know from there. And it has come up every once in a while. This is something that is obviously so horrific and so embarrassing for me. But it... it... I’d like to talk through my process with that a little bit. As that person had say in that message. Kinda where my thoughts was at. And and walking through that with you. 
So for me, immediately when I saw that being posted, my first response was that I was being attacked. I felt like I was being misunderstood. And this kinda goes into unlearning white fragility and my immediate response to feel like I’m the victim. And honestly I had felt like that for years. If I can be quite frank. Like I felt like, you know, this person had gone to my personal private Facebook. They had, you know,like violated my right and my... my privacy and stuff like that. And I felt like, you know, the people that were bringing it up we’re trying to make it something that wasn’t without realizing that it was exactly what they were telling me. And I just wanted so badly for it to not be that thing. 
And what it comes down to is this. We, we have this idea or perception as white people especially of what racism looks like. And we distance ourselves so much from that because we feel like “I’m not part of the KKK, I’m not commuting hate crimes, therefore I am not racist.” And that’s just not the truth. And and that’s why I talk about, you know, unlearning things. Because often times the more you learn about racial issues and the more you come to understand really how often you contribute to racism without realizing it. For me, I can sit here and make excuses for myself all day, but what it comes down to is that I was ignorant and I didn’t know better. And I chose after being told, being called out, I chose to continue to live in ignorance and not to educate myself and not correct myself. 
And you know, we’ve talked about this a couple times, I posted on Twitter and stuff like that, apologizing. And... but ultimately I’m at the point now where I understand the importance of continually having this conversation, continually talking you guys through this. And umm for those white people who are, you know, watching this and feeling like “well, you were young, you didn’t mean anything by it, it’s all about intent”. No it’s not. It’s not about intent because ultimately, regardless, my actions caused harm. And and not wanting to be associated with racist comes down to the bottom line out of... *she got cut off*
Fcking cuts me off every time right when I’m getting into it. Anyways, it comes down to the bottom line of me wanting to be seen as caring for people. And this is something I’ve been learning as well is the idea of needing to be seen as a good person rather than doing things to be a good person. And so for a long time I’ve really, I hesitated to talk about it, I hated when people would bring it up, I hated it when it would resurface and stuff like that because I didn’t want people to look at me and think that I didn’t care about them. Didn’t care about the black community, that I genuinely thought that black people were beneath me or that I was making light of these issues when like ultimately I just didn’t know enough at the time. I didn’t understand what I was doing and how impactful that really was in a negative way. 
So when all we’re focuses on is looking like a good person, often times that just results in us not doing anything and not saying anything because we feel like as long as we’re distancing ourselves from these act of covert racism that, you know, that exclude us from any necessity of having to have that conversation. And that’s just not the case. And that’s why, you know, being someone who’s in the public eyes, so to speak, in some capacity... I... it’s not fun... learning in public.
Just point blank. this isn’t like a poor me moment, but it is for a second here. It’s not fun learning in public, but at the same time, if anything can come of this, let it be that you are able to learn a long side me. 
And I just have to say as well that, you know, I am grateful for the fact that that happened online because it afforded me the privilege of me being able to be taught by people that knew more than me about these issues. It resulted in so many people reaching out to try and educate me and sharing their stories, sharing their experiences. And I think that is the most powerful part of social media. And my opinion is that you get an opportunity to see into the lives of other people. And in that, hopefully inspires you to want to be there for other community other than your own.” 

Posted

I don’t know if you guys know or follow ssssamanthaa (the beauty guru) but she addressed on her Instagram story about her previous blackface incident when she was younger. I’m not bringing this up to hurt her to call her out but because she had recently posted a story on this issue which I thought would be helpful to this thread.
5A8B4666-40FA-4946-B795-1886C23FD635.thu

she had written an apology before,

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Qpdal

but I think that this time she really hit it on the nail with why it was so wrong and how it had made her feel and she didn’t avoid it. I feel like she was re-educating herself to be better and that’s how they all should start. 

link to her story:

https://instagram.com/stories/ssssamanthaa/2321471426145315137?igshid=x31db7v021fw

What she said in the story:

“Hey guys so umm listen I just finished recording my podcast that will be up on Wednesday. It’s very last minute. We wanted to record an episode that would talk about everything that’s going on. George Floyd, blacklivesmatter movement and all that. So that will be all up on Wednesday. 
In the mean time, if you’re somebody that is annoyed with how your timeline is looking right now. If you’re somebody that doesn’t understand why alllivesmatter is not an appropriate response to blacklivesmatter and you want to understand, I urge you to message me. I’d love to connect with you, I’d love to help...*her dog came to interrupt her* 

I wanna help educate people on these topic, these things I’ve slowly been educating myself about. You know throughout my adult life. I want more people to be involve in the conversation and feel like you have the tools and the knowledge to do so. As well as, you know, have the power enough to do that. And and feeling confidence enough to speak up. Because it’s... it’s important. It’s important that we’re here for the black communities, it’s important that are willing to (couldn’t clearly hear the word) their voices. So if you have any questions, if you have things that bothers you that you’ve never understood or whatever kinda thing. Let’s keep the conversation going here. 
I think in saying that it’s important to note that I am very obviously clearly, you know, not an authority when it comes to black issues or education around racial issues. But I’m a person that have benefited from white privileged obviously my entire life. I’m someone that had to do a lot of unlearning and I’m continuing to do a lot of unlearning, you know, about how I contribute to racism whether that’s overtly or covertly every single day. So I’d love to talk to you more about it if you want to talk to me about it.”
DD801B6D-7C29-4115-B999-EFB8E49FD0BE.thu

“So for those that aren’t aware. This has kinda circulated around the internet now and again. In connection with me obviously because it was me. So when I was umm... 17 or 18 um.. I did blackface make up. I painted my face to look like a photo of Nicki Minaj. And I had posted that on my personal Facebook and almost more offensive than the blackface, you could say was my caption was “just wanted to be black for a day”. Perfect Sam. 
And of course this is the internet. Somebody had found it and I believe it was posted first to Tumblr maybe and then to Reddit and then you know from there. And it has come up every once in a while. This is something that is obviously so horrific and so embarrassing for me. But it... it... I’d like to talk through my process with that a little bit. As that person had say in that message. Kinda where my thoughts was at. And and walking through that with you. 
So for me, immediately when I saw that being posted, my first response was that I was being attacked. I felt like I was being misunderstood. And this kinda goes into unlearning white fragility and my immediate response to feel like I’m the victim. And honestly I had felt like that for years. If I can be quite frank. Like I felt like, you know, this person had gone to my personal private Facebook. They had, you know,like violated my right and my... my privacy and stuff like that. And I felt like, you know, the people that were bringing it up we’re trying to make it something that wasn’t without realizing that it was exactly what they were telling me. And I just wanted so badly for it to not be that thing. 
And what it comes down to is this. We, we have this idea or perception as white people especially of what racism looks like. And we distance ourselves so much from that because we feel like “I’m not part of the KKK, I’m not commuting hate crimes, therefore I am not racist.” And that’s just not the truth. And and that’s why I talk about, you know, unlearning things. Because often times the more you learn about racial issues and the more you come to understand really how often you contribute to racism without realizing it. For me, I can sit here and make excuses for myself all day, but what it comes down to is that I was ignorant and I didn’t know better. And I chose after being told, being called out, I chose to continue to live in ignorance and not to educate myself and not correct myself. 
And you know, we’ve talked about this a couple times, I posted on Twitter and stuff like that, apologizing. And... but ultimately I’m at the point now where I understand the importance of continually having this conversation, continually talking you guys through this. And umm for those white people who are, you know, watching this and feeling like “well, you were young, you didn’t mean anything by it, it’s all about intent”. No it’s not. It’s not about intent because ultimately, regardless, my actions caused harm. And and not wanting to be associated with racist comes down to the bottom line out of... *she got cut off*
Fcking cuts me off every time right when I’m getting into it. Anyways, it comes down to the bottom line of me wanting to be seen as caring for people. And this is something I’ve been learning as well is the idea of needing to be seen as a good person rather than doing things to be a good person. And so for a long time I’ve really, I hesitated to talk about it, I hated when people would bring it up, I hated it when it would resurface and stuff like that because I didn’t want people to look at me and think that I didn’t care about them. Didn’t care about the black community, that I genuinely thought that black people were beneath me or that I was making light of these issues when like ultimately I just didn’t know enough at the time. I didn’t understand what I was doing and how impactful that really was in a negative way. 
So when all we’re focuses on is looking like a good person, often times that just results in us not doing anything and not saying anything because we feel like as long as we’re distancing ourselves from these act of covert racism that, you know, that exclude us from any necessity of having to have that conversation. And that’s just not the case. And that’s why, you know, being someone who’s in the public eyes, so to speak, in some capacity... I... it’s not fun... learning in public.
Just point blank. this isn’t like a poor me moment, but it is for a second here. It’s not fun learning in public, but at the same time, if anything can come of this, let it be that you are able to learn a long side me. 
And I just have to say as well that, you know, I am grateful for the fact that that happened online because it afforded me the privilege of me being able to be taught by people that knew more than me about these issues. It resulted in so many people reaching out to try and educate me and sharing their stories, sharing their experiences. And I think that is the most powerful part of social media. And my opinion is that you get an opportunity to see into the lives of other people. And in that, hopefully inspires you to want to be there for other community other than your own.” 

I'm really happy she's using her voice to bring awerness to topics like this. I really appreciate and respect people like her. It's not always easy to acknowledge your wrong doings, so I really admire people who are willing to listen and grow as a person.

Posted

Adrienne Bailon/Houghton who is a white latina but goes around calling herself poc and thinks latina is a race -_-. Now I know that white people can tan naturally but she has talked in the past on her Youtube channel about how she always wears spf and just does her foundation way darker to look tan. She has also posted bottles of this 'amazing' fake tan in the last month that she bought from an IG company. Now she is denying that and going around saying she is naturally this color and barking that its melanin or i'm a poc! to anyone who dares ask her what tan/filters are you using. 

Im so over her, this is coming from the same girl who said shes had no work done. Girl we've seen what you used to look like, you look way different.

a6.thumb.PNG.704727136f3aa02fefd8cddad9b

a8.thumb.PNG.ad202c78fafdb8e5d55d1a5cc95

a7.thumb.PNG.ddcdbbe3d1261751498c775e714

What she looks like when someone else is taking the pictures...

a4.thumb.PNG.7e40da4974e57b9c8a8bc855eb7

What she actually looks like. Pretty, I dont see the point in all the fake stuff.

a1.thumb.PNG.0c2c5b65e583915915c67a95095

a2.thumb.PNG.97682daa4bcd8050e2ff72628fc

a3.thumb.PNG.367bf845fe99a321f8752a04244

Posted

Adrienne is definitely an idiot, but I'm not sure she qualifies as a mixed/blackfish. It's more general snowflakery with the cookie cutter insta baddie face fillers and "I'm sooo natural u guyz!" talk.