• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

478 posts in this topic

Posted

With that Iranian/Egyptian girl posted earlier I've noticed that lately in the #lightskingirl tag on instagram a lot of the girls aren't even mixed with black or even black at all. I've seen a lot of racially ambiguous middle eastern, hispanic, southeast asian women using the tag and doing makeup or wearing hair/styling their hair to look black lol. One of the biggest ones for southeast asian women was @thailiian, she has 405k followers and she's 16 now so it's ok to post about her. 

Thailiian (her real name is jenny) has been called out multiple times for wearing box braids, cornrows, overlining her lips and tanning to look black, using the lightskin hashtag as well as wearing lace wigs in an attempt to pass as being a mixed race black girl. She toned it down but she always backtracks and does the same thing over and over so it's kind of pointless with her lmao. She's still a kid so she's got time to learn but she just seems to not really care. She deleted most of the box braids/cornrow photos but if I find any I'll post

Posted (edited)

^ Dude all the posts on the tagged page of makeup """artist""" that put her in blackface (or whatever you call it when it's a really lightskin mixed chick?) are even worse...

girl them braids are almost as tragic as the chick trying to say shes EmPoWeRiNg DaRk SkIn WoMeN

Edited by CloverHoney

Posted

download.thumb.jpeg.eba2782f2e75ed8a5a05 images_(1).thumb.jpeg.62cf570e2e31007d1f7457b09555b47f3bc066f3bf8c8ac153--nails.

These are what I could find from thailiian's cornrows, sorry for the low quality this is all google would give me since she deleted them after being called out. I'm still looking for the box braids and the other time she did cornrows

Posted

I think it's partly because there aren't that many people of black/african descent on this forum and people gravitate to what they can relate to or people that look like them. Obvs not saying people of different races wont emphasize too or anything.

people HAVE constantly downvoted people who put random people who just follow asian fashion and makeup trends in both asian fakers and kboo thread. 

80E72058-5D7B-4EE4-AAC1-C6E86BDA1BC3.jpeg

606771BD-75AA-4C7B-B8A7-1B1059217311.jpeg

8A584553-6D9F-4142-B1C6-69134CCB63CF.jpeg

never would have thought this bitch was not fully white tanned chick. maybe cause in some slavic countries it's common for girls to fry their skin till they look burned so... if anything she looks like this one turkish cosplayer. 

i agree with the 90% of people posted in this thread but for some you just really are reaching. also learn to make a difference between appropriation and blackfishing. they aren't the same damn thing.

Posted

people HAVE constantly downvoted people who put random people who just follow asian fashion and makeup trends in both asian fakers and kboo thread. 

never would have thought this bitch was not fully white tanned chick. maybe cause in some slavic countries it's common for girls to fry their skin till they look burned so... if anything she looks like this one turkish cosplayer. 

i agree with the 90% of people posted in this thread but for some you just really are reaching. also learn to make a difference between appropriation and blackfishing. they aren't the same damn thing.

Um, I didn't say that nor was I trying to imply that.

Posted

Um, I didn't say that nor was I trying to imply that.

lmao sorry i didn't realize i quoted the wrong post :derp: that's embarrasing for me, sorry 

Posted

Only the first 3 photos are the ones where I thought she was blackfishing, the last 3 are her old posts to show how different and definitely non-black she used to look.

It is your opinion, but as a mixed black girl I followed her because I thought she was mixed and I like to follow people that look like me. Doesn’t feel so great when you think you relate to someone but then you realise they’re just putting on a ‘look’ for instagram followers, when I’ve looked like this my whole life and I don’t get to choose when I do and do not

Posted (edited)

I don't think the minarabih girl is blackfishing to me. She honestly doesn't look black and She looks mostly the same besides the differences in makeup and fillers. She's just racially ambiguous looking enough naturally to pass for multiple ethnicities if she isn't just a tanned, over bronzed white girl.   So I can't even tell what her ethnic and racial background is but either way it's say she's not trying to look black

Edited by VioletRhapsody

Posted

Only the first 3 photos are the ones where I thought she was blackfishing, the last 3 are her old posts to show how different and definitely non-black she used to look.

It is your opinion, but as a mixed black girl I followed her because I thought she was mixed and I like to follow people that look like me. Doesn’t feel so great when you think you relate to someone but then you realise they’re just putting on a ‘look’ for instagram followers, when I’ve looked like this my whole life and I don’t get to choose when I do and do not

sorry but that sounds like a you problem. it just her facial features. this is like how people are shitting on that russian kpop girl for "trying to look asian" when it's literally her face lmao. she can't really change it just like you can't. 

if anything, you could say she's appropriating fashion made popular by black girls on ig but that's about it. 

spoiler cause i have realized i have gone way off topic lmao. 

Posted

IMO, the point isn't whether or not they actually look believably ethnically vague. The point is that they're trying to sell that. Like the braids may be shitty but if people think braids = black and they're cashing out on that, it's not cool. 

Posted (edited)

IMO, the point isn't whether or not they actually look believably ethnically vague. The point is that they're trying to sell that. Like the braids may be shitty but if people think braids = black and they're cashing out on that, it's not cool. 

i was talking about the minarah girl's ig, i haven't seen any braids on her? like, obviously box braids, cornrows and other shit are appropriation, but that aint race faking, that was my point. just as tanning isn't either of those things. do some people overdo it? sure? but that's about it. (obviously i don't mean someone going 20 shades darker, but apparently i have to spell everything out here now lol)

although, maybe we could use this thread for appropriation too? i know editing the title would be too much, but maybe a mod can just put it in the first post or something, since people post everything here anyway?

Edited by vader_chan

Posted (edited)

i was talking about the minarah girl's ig, i haven't seen any braids on her? like, obviously box braids, cornrows and other shit are appropriation, but that aint race faking, that was my point. just as tanning isn't either of those things. do some people overdo it? sure? but that's about it. (obviously i don't mean someone going 20 shades darker, but apparently i have to spell everything out here now lol)

although, maybe we could use this thread for appropriation too? i know editing the title would be too much, but maybe a mod can just put it in the first post or something, since people post everything here anyway?

Usually on yellowfishing, the rule is that they have to claim to be asian by use of the flags or exclusively posting in an Asian language, having an Asian name or straight up saying so. 

Would using heavy aave and black company/black product sponsorships be the equivalent of this? Definitely using mixed tags or having a black name would be a giveaway either way. 

sorry pictures are following me everywhere

Screenshot_20191207-235046_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Sugi

Posted (edited)

Usually on yellowfishing, the rule is that they have to claim to be asian by use of the flags or exclusively posting in an Asian language, having an Asian name or straight up saying so. 

Would using heavy aave and black company/black product sponsorships be the equivalent of this? Definitely using mixed tags or having a black name would be a giveaway either way. 

sorry pictures are following me everywhere

I'd say having a mixed girl tag would be a dead giveaway. 

I don't think the minarabih girl is blackfishing to me. She honestly doesn't look black and She looks mostly the same besides the differences in makeup and fillers. She's just racially ambiguous looking enough naturally to pass for multiple ethnicities if she isn't just a tanned, over bronzed white girl.   So I can't even tell what her ethnic and racial background is but either way it's say she's not trying to look black

Just to play devil's advocate here...

download.thumb.jpeg.aacc00aa5ba5069ea80b

I'd say sometimes it's about intent rather than execution. 

Having mixed or biracial tags, using your racial ambiguity to snag sponsorships from black owned businesses, being posted on pages dedicated to mixed, black, or biracial women (and never correcting them), ect. are blackfishing to me. I think minarabih is culturally appropriating. 

Edited by ZapGold

Posted

Capture d’écran 2019-12-12 à 13.38.08.png

Jesus christ. This is one of the most blatant ones yet lmao.

Btw I decided to check in on Emma Hallberg, the girl who basically started this thread. Maybe it's just me but in some of her recent pics her skin looks darker, her lips bigger and kind of her nose as well? The fact that she's still got a huge following while not even trying to make a change to look more like her natural self...

sgsgsg.thumb.PNG.30eb096d561fba36effe4bf

dgfdfgd.thumb.PNG.af02806ceb9555d1bd75f0

efwrfwer.thumb.PNG.dd252a7ffb506c61cc187