• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

479 posts in this topic

Posted

First post on here! Hope I’m doing this correctly :alpacaworry2:

Found this instagram girl and thought she was mixed with black but after going to her older posts it seems like she’s not? I was totally convinced when I saw her newest posts though.

I’m on mobile and I’m unsure of how to hide photos so sorry if this is annoying

DA527586-B554-441E-B279-0906CD9CBE2F.jpeg

F135C136-6A07-442F-8A74-7CAC94BC57CD.jpeg

80E72058-5D7B-4EE4-AAC1-C6E86BDA1BC3.jpeg

606771BD-75AA-4C7B-B8A7-1B1059217311.jpeg

5E4981D0-6F3B-4AB6-8DC2-A533C1F5E484.jpeg

8A584553-6D9F-4142-B1C6-69134CCB63CF.jpeg

Posted

Posted

What is this colorless clownery?

Posted

look at all these people trying to get on Dr. Phil...

Posted

this is an extremely necessary thread 😭 i will be catching up, so glad it exists and there is some public dialogue about this blackfishing epidemic 

Posted

First post on here! Hope I’m doing this correctly :alpacaworry2:

Found this instagram girl and thought she was mixed with black but after going to her older posts it seems like she’s not? I was totally convinced when I saw her newest posts though.

I’m on mobile and I’m unsure of how to hide photos so sorry if this is annoying

DA527586-B554-441E-B279-0906CD9CBE2F.jpeg

F135C136-6A07-442F-8A74-7CAC94BC57CD.jpeg

80E72058-5D7B-4EE4-AAC1-C6E86BDA1BC3.jpeg

606771BD-75AA-4C7B-B8A7-1B1059217311.jpeg

5E4981D0-6F3B-4AB6-8DC2-A533C1F5E484.jpeg

8A584553-6D9F-4142-B1C6-69134CCB63CF.jpeg

tenor.thumb.gif.586f9492c5abb3277b1854af

Posted

was just sent photos of this girl is she actually black ??? does anyone know???

F4786BFA-6353-43CF-97EE-E1FDA15CEF5C.png

375A42BF-6FB1-40F1-AECA-CC3AEC5FA8E5.png

6CCE0731-693A-4E51-963E-B73D22BD9FCE.png

Posted

was just sent photos of this girl is she actually black ??? does anyone know???

F4786BFA-6353-43CF-97EE-E1FDA15CEF5C.png

375A42BF-6FB1-40F1-AECA-CC3AEC5FA8E5.png

6CCE0731-693A-4E51-963E-B73D22BD9FCE.png

I believe she’s half Iranian and half Egyptian 

Posted

I believe she’s half Iranian and half Egyptian 

So watcha sayin is that she is NOT huh? (unless she's one of these Black Egyptians - I know some of them - but she doesn't look like she has any Black bone in her body.)

Posted

While for some girls i agree that the blackfishing is real and it's especially infuriating to try to pass fake tanned-white women as real black women, i think we can all acknowledge that some of the girls posted on this thread (like the last 2 especially the one with pink hair) aren't really blackfishing. Just using elements of a stle that is trending right now.

5 years ago girls looked up to mainly white celebrities and tried to imitate them, white and black girls were straightening their hairs, using extension and trying to be as skinny as possible. Now trends have changed and a lot of celebrities are mixed/black like Drake Rihanna Nicki Minaj... Also US rap have become very very popular and the street style/rnb style is trending (hoop earring, big lips, high cheekbones, baddie look). Some girls who love asian culture use iconic makeup look of asian (fading lips, eyeliner but no smoky, straight and cute eyebrows, aegyo) to try to be as close as possible to what they love, and the same thing is happening with black people. While i agree blackfishing is real, i think people thinking calling them out will somehow stop this massive trend are delusional. You can't stop people from looking up to a style/celebs and try to copy them, it has always been and will always be, races apart.

Posted (edited)

what i don’t understand is why on the non asians pretending to be asians thread, this behavior is demonized but on the blackfishing thread it’s watered down to just celebrity influence?

I think it's partly because there aren't that many people of black/african descent on this forum and people gravitate to what they can relate to or people that look like them. Obvs not saying people of different races wont emphasize too or anything.

Edited by VioletRhapsody

Posted

what i don’t understand is why on the non asians pretending to be asians thread, this behavior is demonized but on the blackfishing thread it’s watered down to just celebrity influence?

I feel like every now and then there's someone on here trying to excuse it/make excuses but I saw that on the Asian race fakers as well....just dumb is as dumb does I guess

but I feel like most of us are on the same page on how absolutely foul it is to try to fake being another race, and personally I find blackfishing to be worse because it purposefully takes away money from black owned business through deceit, since black people want to support black owned businesses and white people/whatever people trying to pretend they're black end up getting money from people thinking they are black. so it ends up being harmful to actual black owned business/black entrepreneurs or whatever. that's what bothers me the most about blackfishing--I get that to some people the black community seems so cool and exciting, but just make some damn friends don't wear blackface and steal money from those businesses!!! plus there's that whole other aspect of people wanting to be black when it's profitable, but not have to deal with ALLLLLL the crap black people have to go through (especially in America). Those are my two major issues with blackfishing, on top of the whole "don't pretend to be another race, duh" thing--for me, I think blackfishing is worse than Asian race-faking but I think the demographic on this site tends to go for the easier target of white people blurring out eyelids and taping their eyes.

Also kind of OT but as a non-black person I really like watching people like Kim at For Harriet on Youtube (and I think she has a blog), who has videos and livestreams where she talks about this kind of stuff--I learned a lot from her and really appreciate the insight she gives. She also is setting up a fund to help people pay for college. I'm sure most have heard of her, but if anyone hasn't go check her out! 

Posted

Also, I don't know if other Black ppl feel this here or otherwise, but having to constantly justify why something like "blackfishing" is offending and hurting is damn exhausting; I for one, don't have that kind of time or energy. I applaud those who fight the good fight (like Kim, Eloho, other Af-Am. YouTubers or Black YouTubers in France like Ugly Sally) but this kind of thing takes more time and mental strength that the average Joe has.

When people generally belittle your experience ("Hey, it's just because of mixed or light-skinned celebrities who are popular atm!" "It's not that deep!" "Black women are offended for nothing!"), having to literally spoon-feed Powerpoint exposes to other people - when you ain't even paid for this shit - is a whole lot of unappreciated work that nobody should have to do when the internet is right there for everyone to do their own damn research.

Posted

It just seems like it's more socially acceptable to belittle black women in particular when crap like this happens. This happens in the Asian race-fakers thread, but I feel like it does not pop up as much as it does here.