• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

402 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

also idk how legit it is, but it says here she's biracial so i don't know

She posted this one day ago, these are her parents. So yes, she's biracial. 

Edited by melon cookie
I can't emb Insta-Posts correctly, sorry, lol

Posted

I feel like technically she is a blackfisher. We don't know what her real race is because she could have been slowly tanning herself for a while now leading up to the competition. I think that she's been influenced by #melaninpopping and #blackgirlmagic and decided that masquerading as a dark-skinned black girl would help her in the competition.  She didn't have to darken herself to embrace her blackness (if she even is actually black), that's just bullshit. There's a difference between "embracing your blackness" and pretending to be dark-skinned for clout.

we do know her real race. she’s mixed with black and white

F3CE9EE7-87BE-4571-A4A8-CF6DC274C883.jpeg

Posted

tbh i got a lot of what you were saying in your other comment about how mixed looking women get praised for things darker women get shit on for, but as someone who is mixed it does kind of break my heart to see you write this kind of idea. i do get what you mean that if u see an article about a black girl specifically, you expect a full black woman not mixed but i also think if the article wrote mixed, there are too many mixtures (ie asian and white) when in this case it specifically related to black women in terms of hair texture. 

as someone who is mixed (not mixed black i should specify) it just makes me sad to hear the idea that, despite being part of two cultures/races its like we're not enough for either therefore we are "other" and no one wants us. and i know mixed black women struggle with this idea of being perceived as "not black enough" or "too white" from people who imho know what its like to be other-ed and should accept them, and obviously are not accepted from their white/etc side either for being mixed with black. mixed women who are lighter are able to get away with a lot because of their lighter skin, but thats colorism and imo doesnt make them less black. idk why being mixed cant mean being BOTH not being NEITHER, if that makes sense. (perhaps i misinterpreted but the idea "shes mixed, since when does that mean shes black?" just came across to me as "shes mixed therefore she cant say shes black" even tho imo she can say shes black AND whatever else she is. it was kind of like saying "shes not one of us/cant ever be one of us" which is just something mixed people struggle with and i think is a generally shitty idea.  but maybe that wasnt your intention.) just my two cents and something i hope youd consider.

i dont know anything about this girl and i certainly HOPE its not a case of blackfishing but rather a case of her at a young age learning to stop straightening her hair/bowing to societal BS and accepting her real self, butttttttt idk. the above pictures, esp in the pink dress, im side eyeing quite hard. for me, blackfishing is women pretending to be black/mixed and using that pretense to gain financially or profit in another way. it could very well be what shes doing in terms of the miss teen competition, but if shes mixed i could see it just as her struggling with self acceptance. to me its not as blatantly offensive as other cases in this thread, but more a gray area. just my opinion 

I'm so sorry if I made you feel that way! It totally wasn't my intention, but I do realize that my wording came off a little harsh. What I meant to say is that since she is biracial, she shouldn't be categorized as a monoracial person. She should be called what she is; mixed/biracial. She isn't fully black and she isn't fully white, she's half of both. Being biracial means having two different races and cultures, so claiming a biracial person as a single race erases the other half of their identity. It's an insult to call them otherwise.

This situation reminded me of this one article that was boasting about how Megan Markle's royal marriage meant that black women could now see someone who looks like them in the palace. Megan Markle isn't a black woman. She's biracial. There's literally an entire half of her genetic makeup that's European! Whenever I see people write these things it makes me feel like black women will never be fully accepted or embraced unless there are other races mixed in and that to me is sad.

Even as I write this I am, ironically, a brown-skinned black girl who happens to look ambiguously mixed despite having two black parents and I myself have experienced racial gatekeeping from people of my own race. Even though it really sucks at times, I kind of get it because I wasn't bullied as much as the girls with darker skin and unambiguous features. I was the more acceptable type of black girl.

we do know her real race. she’s mixed with black and white

F3CE9EE7-87BE-4571-A4A8-CF6DC274C883.jpeg

I stand corrected on her racial makeup, but that doesn't negate the fact that she's purposely darkening her skin for an aesthetic. My other points still stand.

Posted

This is something I wanted to say for a while but was kind of afraid to do so but, how come people are quicker to call out people who pretend to be another race when it's with Asian and European races. I understand it's been around much longer as "blackfishing" is a new term, although not a new idea. 

I'm genuinely wondering why some people can go around and reap the benefits of being "trendy" by pretending to be a certain race gets called out but when it comes to the particular blackfishing/pretending to be mixed whether it be latina or black,etc then it's "black/latina women are just being jealous" "i guess no one can tan now" and excuses not to have these people have consequences for their actions. 

This has nothing to do with a particular person or a situation it's just I seen more people excuse different types of race bending depending on the race. (In general, on the internet) 

I'm just ready for a new trend to come along because this shit really tears at your identity and your psyche.

Sorry, I don't quite get what you're trying to ask. Are you annoyed people are fast to point out Asian or European people pretending to be something else or are you annoyed people are fast to point out people pretending to be Asian or European? I'm biracial so I think I can have some insight on this. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I don't quite get what you're trying to ask. Are you annoyed people are fast to point out Asian or European people pretending to be something else or are you annoyed people are fast to point out people pretending to be Asian or European? I'm biracial so I think I can have some insight on this. 

I don't think there's any insight to it. People are just quicker  to point out people who race bend if their trying to be Asian/European but when it comes to people race bending to be Black/Latina then everyone just accepts excuses. 

Edited by sleepydumpling

Posted

I don't get this thread. 

Why should people not be allowed to style and express themselves how they want to - just because racism exist? No one was able to decide what they look like when they were born. So what if a white woman wants to look black? She can't express her own appearance and live a free life because some people on this planet are racist?

"Oh yeah, so you love dark skin and big lips but YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LOOK LIKE THIS because some people (who you have nothing to do with) are being racist to black women!"

?????

Oh, honey... 

It's been stated many times already, so I'm not going to repeat what you can go back and read for yourself. All I'm going to say is that if people can call out fully black women bleaching/pretending to be mixed, fully white people pretending to be Asian, Asian people pretendin to be white or mixed, ect. then why not call these women out too? Nothing's different about what they're doing. 

Do you have the same gripes with the non-Asians pretending to be Asian thread too? Honest question here. 

Posted

Honestly if everyone did a quick sweep through her IG I think that this issue could be put to rest.

Her hair: Clearly naturally curly. look at her older photos where her hair is straightened and you'll see that in most of them they missed certain parts of the roots (so it's wavy) and/or her hair looks stiff and unnatural as a result of the straightening. 

Her skin: In her first photo, which was taken outside in early May 2016, her skin tone is extremely similar to the others taken outside. The few old photos where her skin looks much lighter are from/during photo shoots where they tend to make models (sadly) look as light as possible. I mean, look at her most recent professional shot:

Her dress ads in general are also heavily lightened. 

It doesn't make sense to compare her skin tones in non-similar lighting or times of year (she's obviously going to be more tan in the summer). Her summer photos are all consistent shades. Also take into account that if she used any filters, her skin color would be effected as well.  
Her skin-tone under stage lights and during competitions is consistent. I understand that at her most recent competition (Miss Teen USA) her skin looked a little darker than normal, but especially in late spring when people might have a slight tan on their foreheads/cheeks/nose, a lot of people get spray-tanned to even out their color for the stage, not to mention because the stage is so much bigger and the stage lights are farther away, she's not going to look as light as she did on her state stage.
Her skin tone in rooms with dim lighting is consistent.
The one singular photo that doesn't really work is the one where she's against the white background, but it makes sense that if the photo was edited to make the whites pop (in order to make the dress she's modelling stand out), she would be made darker simply because of the contrast needed to do that (keep in mind basically all of her Jovani posts are basically ads and she's most likely receiving photos directly from them that they want her to post). 

I don't know guys, to me it just seems like she's a mixed pageant girl doing what all pageant/modelling girls do... which is post pretty photos of themselves in various situations under various filters and sometimes getting a spray tan! What it comes down to is that she's getting hate for it because she's mixed and not allowed to express a natural range of skin tones because it would make her look "too x" or "too y." Her and Cheslie (Miss USA) both have similar natural coloration and both basically express those shades throughout their Instagrams, but Cheslie is never told she looks too dark in some. They also tanned to a similar shade for their competitions, but still people are only freaked out about Kaliegh...

Posted

Some people in here we’re talking about racism in EU saying there is no to little racism. Bullshit. Born in central EU I can confirm there is plenty of racism, but if you are outsider, no one is gonna say racist things in front of you. I work with chick that got not a peaceful type of swastika bracelet tattoed around her wrist, hiding it with accessories. Then there is political party which have members that have been seen doing some “h” action with their right hand and their slogan is “stop immigrants, stop islam”. Let’s finish it with this band called ORTEL, which is racist while using only xenophobic lyrics, but there is no clear sign of racism, so let em go get award for their music. They won. 

Ah this got me sick, but that’s how it is in here.

(also the picture is cropped out of profile picture of the girl I mentioned🤷🏻‍♀️)

E2C55B9D-CC2C-4363-AD28-B90A46BA0286.png

Posted

Yeah, as a Black woman born and raised in France, I'm always laughing when people say "there's no racism in Europe" and "these Americans are so annoying relating race to everything" like... Have they lived under a rock? Yes, the discussion and the implications of racism are different, but mostly because most don't want to discuss racism in Europe as if it doesn't exist. I can list at the top of my head a bunch of recent unambiguously racist things said/done by people as high-up as our own French president. Racism is not non-existing in Europe, it just takes different forms (and depends on the country and its history). Also it's striving lately and doesn't even hide: look at the rise of the far-right pretty much everywhere on the Old continent.

(also the picture is cropped out of profile picture of the girl I mentioned🤷🏻‍♀️)

E2C55B9D-CC2C-4363-AD28-B90A46BA0286.png

I'm sorry but... WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

Posted

Yeah, as a Black woman born and raised in France, I'm always laughing when people say "there's no racism in Europe" and "these Americans are so annoying relating race to everything" like... Have they lived under a rock? Yes, the discussion and the implications of racism are different, but mostly because most don't want to discuss racism in Europe as if it doesn't exist. I can list at the top of my head a bunch of recent unambiguously racist things said/done by people as high-up as our own French president. Racism is not non-existing in Europe, it just takes different forms (and depends on the country and its history). Also it's striving lately and doesn't even hide: look at the rise of the far-right pretty much everywhere on the Old continent.

I'm sorry but... WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

I can't speak from my own experience but Japanese people have shared stories with me of them walking down the street in London and hearing "go home ch*nk" shouted at them

Posted

I can't speak from my own experience but Japanese people have shared stories with me of them walking down the street in London and hearing "go home ch*nk" shouted at them

Oh God don't get me started on anti-Asian racism like... I'm not Asian so I'm not really qualified to talk about that, but the number of time I had to correct someone when they said "that Chinese person" (when said person was anything ranging from Vietnamese to idk... Japanese or Thai) or made fun of any Asian person and "look out so they don't eat your dog"?!! (because apparently, people can't distinguish between countries and anyone remotely EA or SEA looking is "Chinese" and a "dog-eater"...)

And that's the problem I have with all that: many non-Americans hide behind their supposed ignorance of racial conflicts so they can continue to be racist without any consequence; let alone being caught blackfishing - or worse, doing blackface - and people will just excuse their behavior because "they don't know any better, they're not American, they can't know what it meaaaans" when really... It's 2019, Google is freely available. They can order shit from the other side of the world and have thousands of followers on IG and Youtube but they can't research blackfishing/blackface?!

Give me a break.

Posted

I see black people trying to be white the whole time, so who cares?

every single day a new black woman shows up copying Barbie or saying “black Barbie”

they all claim so badly be proud of being african (you might have african background but you are Not african.. also they have Lots of caucasians there)

but the first thing they do is a rhinoplasty to have smaller and caucasian nose, use bleaching skin products and visit europe LoL. I’ve never seen One that visited Africa ever.

soo... who cares?

Posted

bad bait mate. try harder next time, 0/10

Posted

this fight is so ridiculous like say that women can’t cut hair short because it us a mens thing, and guys can’t let the hair grow because it is a womens thing.

I see women turning into men, men into women, black people trying to be white, asians trying to be white...

all types of alterations

but when a caucasian wears dark skin foundation and curl the hair is like “wooooaaahhh”

Posted

I've never gotten a tan in my life, but here in Texas (and I assume many other states) going to the tanning bed weekly/getting spray tans is such a regular thing - especially in the summer. I'm definitely not defending anyone genuinely blackfishing, but some people are making it sound like any girl who gets a tan is being misleading about their race. Getting a tan (sometimes even a dark one) has been such a regular thing where I am from for years. I guess I am just trying to understand where the line is drawn? What is considered acceptable?