• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

376 posts in this topic

Posted

She never said he was a blackfish but he does play it off as he is black of some sort.

Posted (edited)

She never said he was a blackfish but he does play it off as he is black of some sort.

I know that she didn't call him a blackfisher. I just thought that there were some interesting points made within the video.

Edited by BBflame

Posted (edited)

6C78B7BE-83E7-4B6B-9E00-F48B2C19119B.thuD354599F-AEAE-40AB-A597-7181A91D2B77.thu

5AE29444-B8AA-4403-8934-5D002B5849A0.thu02D06630-EDC3-4F60-AB0D-65F8FA6D3536.thuShe’s mixed but I don’t understand how you’d go from that light to that dark that quick.... is it really the power of getting a tan or what... I got no clue 

Edited by kagami232

Posted

6C78B7BE-83E7-4B6B-9E00-F48B2C19119B.thu5AE29444-B8AA-4403-8934-5D002B5849A0.thuShe’s mixed but I don’t understand how you’d go from that light to that dark that quick.... is it really the power of getting a tan or what... I got no clue 

also her hair? wtf? was it always naturally that curly and dark but she straightened and dyed it brown or is she also faking that? 

Posted

Hidden Content

also her hair? wtf? was it always naturally that curly and dark but she straightened and dyed it brown or is she also faking that? 

This is problematic and it doesn’t help with the tension that happens between black people and mixed raced people. Some black people argue that mixed raced black kids aren’t black so her doing this doesn’t help at all. Because it gives the impression she didn’t identify as black or didn’t care for her black side until this Miss teen thing 

Posted

Hidden Content

not to wk or anything but I don’t think she’s blackfishing0ECE7027-BE63-4574-AC96-86D90E440437.thuthis is in 2017 right after she cut her hair and stopped straightening it she has the same skin tone and hair color she joined miss teen in 2019 so I highly doubt that she started embracing her black side for the sake of the competitionE701FEB0-716D-47E5-A8BC-94D3703AF351.thuher hair color and skin color also looks the same in this picture and it’s from 2018. It was posted after that picture of her in that rosy dress where she looks darker which makes me think her skin color looked darker because of the lightening

06BEAC56-BB3F-4540-A4FB-776EAD68BE8E.thuhere’s her in the competition she has the same skin tone and hair color. To claim that she’s blackfishing is little problematic imo since she’s black herself and just stopped straightening her hair but that’s just my opinion 

Posted (edited)

This is something I wanted to say for a while but was kind of afraid to do so but, how come people are quicker to call out people who pretend to be another race when it's with Asian and European races. I understand it's been around much longer as "blackfishing" is a new term, although not a new idea. 

I'm genuinely wondering why some people can go around and reap the benefits of being "trendy" by pretending to be a certain race gets called out but when it comes to the particular blackfishing/pretending to be mixed whether it be latina or black,etc then it's "black/latina women are just being jealous" "i guess no one can tan now" and excuses not to have these people have consequences for their actions. 

This has nothing to do with a particular person or a situation it's just I seen more people excuse different types of race bending depending on the race. (In general, on the internet) 

I'm just ready for a new trend to come along because this shit really tears at your identity and your psyche.

Edited by sleepydumpling
misspelling

Posted

These race-benders are starting to bring up a lot of very hard to answer questions about race. I feel like a lot of them are exploiting the fact that most ethnic communities have a tenuous grasp on what it means to be a certain non-white ethnicity. A lot of ethnic communities like to uphold ambiguous-looking people as being the most attractive or desirable. Speaking from an American black girl's perspective, I've watched as darker skinned black women are bashed and called ugly, undesirable, manly, etc. while mixed looking women are called the very opposite no matter what they really look like. These blackfishers know that they're considered plain/average or even ugly by their own race's standards so they decide to pretend to be apart of a race that upholds the ideology that mixed girls are superior to black girls. Ariana Grande, for example, started out as a cute but somewhat plain-looking white/Italian girl (by Hollywood standards) who then tanned, got her lips filled, and started speaking in AAVE. It's no surprise that the minute she started actively chasing after ethnic ambiguity, her career started to really take off. The girls talented, sure, but what more important about a musician is their marketability and there's nothing more marketable now than black culture.

Posted (edited)

okay so I realized I looked up kaleighgarris instead of kalieghgarris and it took me to a different page that has now been deleted xD mb

Edited by mickey
nvm

Posted

not to wk or anything but I don’t think she’s blackfishing0ECE7027-BE63-4574-AC96-86D90E440437.thuthis is in 2017 right after she cut her hair and stopped straightening it she has the same skin tone and hair color she joined miss teen in 2019 so I highly doubt that she started embracing her black side for the sake of the competitionE701FEB0-716D-47E5-A8BC-94D3703AF351.thuher hair color and skin color also looks the same in this picture and it’s from 2018. It was posted after that picture of her in that rosy dress where she looks darker which makes me think her skin color looked darker because of the lightening

06BEAC56-BB3F-4540-A4FB-776EAD68BE8E.thuhere’s her in the competition she has the same skin tone and hair color. To claim that she’s blackfishing is little problematic imo since she’s black herself and just stopped straightening her hair but that’s just my opinion 

I feel like technically she is a blackfisher. We don't know what her real race is because she could have been slowly tanning herself for a while now leading up to the competition. I think that she's been influenced by #melaninpopping and #blackgirlmagic and decided that masquerading as a dark-skinned black girl would help her in the competition.  She didn't have to darken herself to embrace her blackness (if she even is actually black), that's just bullshit. There's a difference between "embracing your blackness" and pretending to be dark-skinned for clout.

Posted

I feel like technically she is a blackfisher. We don't know what her real race is because she could have been slowly tanning herself for a while now leading up to the competition. I think that she's been influenced by #melaninpopping and #blackgirlmagic and decided that masquerading as a dark-skinned black girl would help her in the competition.  She didn't have to darken herself to embrace her blackness (if she even is actually black), that's just bullshit. There's a difference between "embracing your blackness" and pretending to be dark-skinned for clout.

I know nothing about her but since you said "we don't know her real race" does that mean she hasn't actually said what she is, or any articles talking about it? Because those two photos where she's in her dress, that looks like "I'm purposely tanning darker" than what her natural skin would be. 

Posted

okay so I just went on Kaleigh's insta and she only has 3 posts now. none of the ones shown before on the thread are there. is that because it's some sort of miss teen USA rule or something...? to keep their social media clean..? or is it because she received backlash because you could see in her older posts that she used to look very different?

I really don't keep up with this sort of news so I don't know if outside pull she's received any backlash for it.

wym? she has multiple posts still, including the old ones where she looks lighter 

https://www.instagram.com/kalieghgarris/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKtUcFWgFXF/

also idk how legit it is, but it says here she's biracial so i don't know

https://www.elle.com/beauty/hair/a27356254/kaleigh-garris-miss-teen-usa-natural-hair/

honestly, i'd love to see some tagged unedited "before" photos of her before saying anything else cause maybe she was not as light, i mean, considering they're staged photos, there's a high chance it was edited. so, if anyone has anything like that please spill... i'm kinda torn on this honestly. and still can't understand how she got that much darker, unless the before photos are super edited.

Posted

I know nothing about her but since you said "we don't know her real race" does that mean she hasn't actually said what she is, or any articles talking about it? Because those two photos where she's in her dress, that looks like "I'm purposely tanning darker" than what her natural skin would be. 

I didn't want to make an assumption of what her race is since I don't know. From what I can see though, she looks like a white/white-passing woman who's using darker skin for clout. Even her hair looks like it has become more tightly coiled.

On another topic, does anyone else find it harder to casually scroll through Instagram now? Every time I see a brown/dark-skinned girl on IG, I wonder to myself whether or not that's their natural skin color or if they're faking it.

wym? she has multiple posts still, including the old ones where she looks lighter 

https://www.instagram.com/kalieghgarris/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKtUcFWgFXF/

also idk how legit it is, but it says here she's biracial so i don't know

https://www.elle.com/beauty/hair/a27356254/kaleigh-garris-miss-teen-usa-natural-hair/

honestly, i'd love to see some tagged unedited "before" photos of her before saying anything else cause maybe she was not as light, i mean, considering they're staged photos, there's a high chance it was edited. so, if anyone has anything like that please spill... i'm kinda torn on this honestly. and still can't understand how she got that much darker, unless the before photos are super edited.

It really annoys me when articles say "x is a win for black girls" when the girl involved isn't even really black. If you say, black girl, I'm expecting to see a black girl, not a mixed or biracial girl. Biracial, by it's very definition means two separate races. Since when does that automatically make a person black?

Either way, she's using the aesthetic of brown skin and coily hair to win a competition that actual naturally brown-skinned and coily haired girls could have won.

Posted

I didn't want to make an assumption of what her race is since I don't know. From what I can see though, she looks like a white/white-passing woman who's using darker skin for clout. Even her hair looks like it has become more tightly coiled.

On another topic, does anyone else find it harder to casually scroll through Instagram now? Every time I see a brown/dark-skinned girl on IG, I wonder to myself whether or not that's their natural skin color or if they're faking it.

It really annoys me when articles say "x is a win for black girls" when the girl involved isn't even really black. If you say, black girl, I'm expecting to see a black girl, not a mixed or biracial girl. Biracial, by it's very definition means two separate races. Since when does that automatically make a person black?

Either way, she's using the aesthetic of brown skin and coily hair to win a competition that actual naturally brown-skinned and coily haired girls could have won.

tbh i got a lot of what you were saying in your other comment about how mixed looking women get praised for things darker women get shit on for, but as someone who is mixed it does kind of break my heart to see you write this kind of idea. i do get what you mean that if u see an article about a black girl specifically, you expect a full black woman not mixed but i also think if the article wrote mixed, there are too many mixtures (ie asian and white) when in this case it specifically related to black women in terms of hair texture. 

as someone who is mixed (not mixed black i should specify) it just makes me sad to hear the idea that, despite being part of two cultures/races its like we're not enough for either therefore we are "other" and no one wants us. and i know mixed black women struggle with this idea of being perceived as "not black enough" or "too white" from people who imho know what its like to be other-ed and should accept them, and obviously are not accepted from their white/etc side either for being mixed with black. mixed women who are lighter are able to get away with a lot because of their lighter skin, but thats colorism and imo doesnt make them less black. idk why being mixed cant mean being BOTH not being NEITHER, if that makes sense. (perhaps i misinterpreted but the idea "shes mixed, since when does that mean shes black?" just came across to me as "shes mixed therefore she cant say shes black" even tho imo she can say shes black AND whatever else she is. it was kind of like saying "shes not one of us/cant ever be one of us" which is just something mixed people struggle with and i think is a generally shitty idea.  but maybe that wasnt your intention.) just my two cents and something i hope youd consider.

i dont know anything about this girl and i certainly HOPE its not a case of blackfishing but rather a case of her at a young age learning to stop straightening her hair/bowing to societal BS and accepting her real self, butttttttt idk. the above pictures, esp in the pink dress, im side eyeing quite hard. for me, blackfishing is women pretending to be black/mixed and using that pretense to gain financially or profit in another way. it could very well be what shes doing in terms of the miss teen competition, but if shes mixed i could see it just as her struggling with self acceptance. to me its not as blatantly offensive as other cases in this thread, but more a gray area. just my opinion 

Posted

i dont know anything about this girl and i certainly HOPE its not a case of blackfishing but rather a case of her at a young age learning to stop straightening her hair/bowing to societal BS and accepting her real self, butttttttt idk. the above pictures, esp in the pink dress, im side eyeing quite hard. for me, blackfishing is women pretending to be black/mixed and using that pretense to gain financially or profit in another way. it could very well be what shes doing in terms of the miss teen competition, but if shes mixed i could see it just as her struggling with self acceptance. to me its not as blatantly offensive as other cases in this thread, but more a gray area. just my opinion 

from the article, her saying she's finally accepting her natural hair texture and things like that, it really sounded like she was trying to look "whiter" than she is in the older photos. again, i could be wrong, but i just wanted to point out that you said what i wanted to say, except you worded it better.