• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

266 posts in this topic

Posted

I cleaned up this thread. It became severely derailed. It was't going to stop. 

Unfortunately, this topic, like the "Pretending to be asian" thread, easily derails. It happens fast and escalates quickly. 

Return to the topic.

Posted (edited)

Sorry for passing by. Just wanted to share this since I was on Twitter and accidentally hit the trending tab thingy. They're talking about it now. :alpacaconfused:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1070305393056788480

Screenshot_20181205-075601_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Sir Valence

Posted (edited)

I have never seen this person mentioned anywhere before on the internet, but I think she deserves being added and talked about, she's more or less in the same territory as Jella (Korean MUA,) as in they both emulate black features as a beauty trend, with an added dash of that Emma girl who also follows black style/fashion trends.

Her name is Moon Gabi (문가비). I just discovered her after watching episode 2 of Cherry Bullet's debut TV series where she acts as a fitness trainer for the girls. I am not really sure what her occupation truly is, but it mainly seems to be as a public figure/model.

Instagram: IAMCHOCO

There's plenty of pictures on her Insta, but here are some pictures of her anyway:

darkgabi-1.thumb.jpg.51b909062b024ac9576993459465AB9B5DC04.thumb.png.b2f9980f676059094475d57ed9e9eb02bdd1a0863cf.thumb.junnamed.thumb.jpg.f88d3743c420050288c37bdownload.thumb.jpeg.acb1715e03047a4629b3

386314_31349_3245.thumb.jpg.ad008321d535

20180823170704_55.thumb.jpg.be9d863b1292

Gabi is mostly known as a very dark-sinned Korean. Numerous articles have been made on her about how people think or get the impression that she is mixed (혼혈) or of African descent. See:

allkpop (in English): Model Moon Gabi answers questions on her race, cosmetic surgery, workout method and more

sbs (in English): Who is Model Moon Gabi?

netizenbuzz (in English): Model Moon Gabi opens up about her 'exotic style'

There's more in Korean, but I do not understand the language... just search up "문가비" and there's already stuff on the first page.

Despite her shade evidently (in pics above) varying from light skinned to dark skinned, she says she that her shade is natural and has never tanned (article on netizenbuzz).

At one point, she has shown a childhood photo on TV to shown that she has always been" very dark": 

Screenshot_2018-12-05-18-30-16-1.thumb.p

In her photos, she looks just the same as her siblings, especially sister, but here she is with her sister: 

399977_45806_4649.thumb.jpg.475791f9ee46Screenshot_2018-12-05-19-20-47-1.thumb.pScreenshot_2018-12-05-19-21-18-1.thumb.pScreenshot_2018-12-05-19-21-11-1.thumb.p

The sister's Instagram: mooon217

Now, to head to juicier territory... Despite openly saying she's naturally dark, Gabi uses foundation much darker than the shade of her face:

Screenshot_2018-12-05-18-31-33.thumb.png

Looking up 문가비 on YouTube will also give plenty of results on her and it should be quite obvious that she edits a lot of her pictures to be darker than she really is and perhaps does tan or actively apply something to be occasionally darker.

Apart from her skin issues, Gabi does also emulate black fashion, black girl's makeup, sport and leasure clothing trends, hip hop and stereotypical rapper styles, basically looking like other Western Instagram baddies who take inspiration from black culture.

And for a different issue, as you can see in the image above - Gabi wore a Native American feather headpiece as an 'exotic' accessory on a live TV where she done her makeup.

Here is the screenshot's clip below:

There's a few more episodes to her makeup styles that feature this very same headpiece as a complimentary feature to highlight 'an exotic aura'.

If you've read the allkpop article in the links above, then you would have seen this part, saying:

Screenshot_2018-12-05-19-43-32-1.thumb.p

It seems her goal is to have a "sexy Tarzan vibe" and be entirely unique and exclusive in Korea.

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted (edited)

Not sure if you knew, but Gabi Moon has her own thread in the newly topic section, but I'm assuming its okay to talk about her in this one too. ^^ She's an interesting one because she was trying to be Pocahontas. Like.. are you kidding me.

And sexy tarzan vibe? Weird flex but ok.

Edited by Sir Valence

Posted

Not sure if you knew, but Gabi Moon has her own thread in the newly topic section, but I'm assuming its okay to talk about her in this one too. ^^ She's an interesting one because she was trying to be Pocahontas. Like.. are you kidding me.

And sexy tarzan vibe? Weird flex but ok.

had no idea that she had a thread already, but ty for letting me know!

Posted (edited)

It amazes me at how many people are defending this Emma Hallberg girl on her YouTube and Instagram account. People are claiming she's not trying to look black since she doesn't look like a Black person, but rather a Latina or Middle Eastern.

FB_IMG_1543767865788.thumb.jpg.18c2f4aed

I came across this girl who is obviously black or at least mixed, and I immediately thought Emma Hallberg looked like her, minus the kinky hair (and the fact that this girl isn't faking it.)

emma_hallberg.thumb.jpg.9db002c59d8a5d7a

Edited by Voielactee

Posted (edited)

It amazes me at how many people are defending this Emma Hallberg girl on her YouTube and Instagram account. People are claiming she's not trying to look black since she doesn't look like a Black person, but rather a Latina or Middle Eastern.

That’s so dumb, considering she’s said herself that she’s nothing but white, so it’d still be an issue no matter what race/ethnicity she is trying to “fake”. Emulating Latina/Middle Eastern features is not any better than emulating black ones?? Lol

Edited by clementine
Posted twice

Posted (edited)

Lol, Latina isnt even a race and I dont think Middle eastern is one either because theres black people native to the middle east. Shes still black fishing regardless

Edited by VioletRhapsody

Posted

A large reason why people are defending Emma Hallberg and a lot of the girls exposed is because they are young and attractive, which is unfortunate but those people are ignorant if they’re outright ignoring these actual minstrel shows. Plus people fetishize the hell out of Black women features and assets on nonblack women. I think most people would consider Rachel Dolezal and Woah Vicky as jokes despite them being a blackfish/culture vulture. I’m suggesting it has to do with their looks, just didn’t wanna outright say it considering the latter is still a teen lol.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6466771/Blackfishing-Aga-Alicja-Brzostowska-polish-blogger-defends-death-threats.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46427180

One of the girls exposed even denied everything to news outlets and it’s such bs that she’s even defending her actions by stating it’s only a tan and that her features are natural. There’s nothing natural about going from a pink undertone to a golden medium brown lmao. Also, notice how these girls don’t look as “ethnic” in motion since videos will show all the caked foundation/self tanner and they can’t flex their facial muscles to emulate the features of Black women.

Posted

I'd add to this - these women aren't that cute as normal white girls, and they know it. But as faux-black girls, due to both colorism and featurism, they're considered above-average and they know this. They see how light skin and more "Caucasian" features are praised on black women, and they want a part of the bag. At least until they got caught. 

Ugh, makes me sick because you hit the nail right on the head. If Emma Hallberg stopped tanning herself and doing the ridiculous two-toned lips, she’d be a very average looking Swedish girl. 

Posted

Okay, I've been sitting on this for a day or two because I didn't quite know how to formulate how I feel. I still don't think I do, but I'm going to try to make this make sense. 

I don’t see a blackfish with her. Honestly, I look at her, and like Jella, I see a gyaru or a more western-influenced B-style girl. 

Based on the reactions by Koreans, I understand why it'd look like she was a blackfish, but I honestly feel like that comment on nietzans buzz comparing the situation to the mentioned actors (?) sums it up pretty well in that because she's that tan and likes being tan Koreans are going to assume she's mixed race. 

That being said, the whole "Sexy Tarzan" thing, using that NA headpiece as an accessory, and her lowkey fetishising of  the "exotic" look is problematic and worthy of calling out. 

But other than that, I only see a generic IG Baddie. 

The people we're talking about on this page are significant because they have gone through a very obvious transformation to make themselves look black or racially ambiguous/mixed black. She doesn't. She looks Korean. Her darkening her photos and wearing too dark foundation even aligns with alternative fashion in Asia with regards to tan skin. From what I can observe, when someone embraces their tan skin over there, they take it to the next level and go about as dark as they can without getting cancer. 

For me it's like, what's the difference between her and Hyolyn then? 

hyolyn-10.jpg

I look at her, and I don't see Truedy or that other K-rapper mentioned earlier in the thread. I see a tan Korean girl who likes that Western IG Baddie aesthetic. 

This, however, eludicates something that I feel needs to be addressed. Who's a regular IG Baddie and who's a blackfish? A lot of people seem to be getting this confused, so I'm going to lay out my personal criteria. 

If they can be confused as black or mixed-black, and they deliberately ignore and don't address it to benefit from it, then they're a blackfish. If they try to pass off an obviously fake tan that causes this confusion as natural as well as darken and edit they're photos (trying to achieve more mixed-black look) to play up the racial ambuguity, then they're a blackfish. If they speak online in only AAVE or slang in order to cater to their black audience while trying to keep up the ruse, then they're a blackfish. If they were offered brand deals because they look black, featured on pages dedicated to black women, or have tons of followers who think that they're black that they never correct, then they're a blackfish. If they're saying they're mixed with black or they're trying to play up some part of their ancestry before, during, or after their caught to lessen the criticism they've gotten, then they're a blackfish. 

Other than that, hairstyles, spray tans, fashion, ect. is usually just part of the IG Baddie aesthetic. What some of y'all have to realize is that the whole IG Baddie aesthetic is fashion trends copped from black women and culture. So a girl that looks like Gabi shouldn't sound the alarm. A girl like Emma or Alijca, however, should. They're in two different ball games. 

I hope that made sense. But do y'all get what I'm trying to say? Like I'm seeing a very specific transformation going on with blackfishers that is more than just tan skin and curly. 

I agree, it seems that the gyaru-esque thing is a reaction to something they don’t agree with. When looking at how some countries push skin whitening and how it’s an important part of life it’s no surprise that some people will go to extremes. To me it’s reacting to an extreme with another one. Also most of these gyaru/b-girls aren’t going out of their way to lie about their race, they seem pretty upfront about it unlike blackfishers who go out of their way to deceive people about their race or ethnicity.