• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

301 posts in this topic

Posted

From what I can tell, most people accept Bruno because he acknowledges his influences, has always acknowledged his influences, acknowledges his mixed ancestry, and actually respects black people.

As for Cardi B, I believe earlier in her career, she identified as Afro-Latina or at least acknowledged she has African ancestry, but it's just starting to look more sus as the years go on.

Like she trying to stray far from looking black and more so on the white side?

Posted (edited)

Nah, I think she's just trying to claim Latina now. You know, for that racial ambiguity and all. 

Edit: I mean she's claiming just Latina, and distancing herself from being afro-Latina. Not that she isn't actually Latina. 

Edited by ZapGold

Posted (edited)

Nah, I think she's just trying to claim Latina now. You know, for that racial ambiguity and all. 

it seems cardi b has said herself her parents are from trinidad (mom) and dominican republic (dad) which would make her profiting off of latin culture not really a bad thing. if she's lied about it then it's pretty fucked up. also, her spanish in La Modelo (with Ozuna) and in I Like It (with Bad Bunny) is pretty damn good. actually, it's more understandable than bad bunny's. although it's not hard to be more articulate than he is, it still surprised me how fluently she spoke it. her pronunciation was perfect. I can also hear her switch the R with the L in her speech so it does add up with the caribbean accent.

now, about black fishing: in NY (and NJ, btw) it's pretty common for people of all ethnicities to use AAVE. the new york and new jersey accents are pretty well known for it (from what I gather; I lived in NY and NJ. in NJ in particular, their accent was also heavily mixed with a hispanic accent. at first, I thought everyone was hispanic bc of it lolz). considering she's from the Bronx, I think her accent, slangs, and mannerisms are more of a local thing than an intentional blackfishing typa thing. sure, she's benefitted from being seen as black (even I thought she was black african american, not latina) but I don't think that was her original intention. something I've learned from living in NJ and NY is that at some point, in certain areas, people just try to be "ghetto" and "badass" so they copy what they think represents that which is often AAVE and the typical "ratchet" stuff, regardless of ethnicity. 

tl;dr: she genuinely seems to be latina, so I don't think there's any latinfishing involved. also, I don't think she's blackfishing either; I think it's just how people around her behaved while she was growing up. 

Edited by mickey
I CAN'T FRIGGIN REMOVE JUDE'S PICTURES!!

Posted

Hidden Content

tl;dr: she genuinely seems to be latina, so I don't think there's any latinfishing involved. also, I don't think she's blackfishing either; I think it's just how people around her behaved while she was growing up. 

I agree. The whole discussion was about whether she considered a blackfish or not, and I don't think she nor Bruno Mars are. 

Posted

Cardi B is dominican and trinidadian here’s a picture of her natural hair btw 9E41B2A0-EE6E-4A44-9A25-06D4F4B1EDFB.thu

it looks like that emma girl stopped curling her hair after being exposed 

1397D7E8-A8D2-4035-B871-13723E1FF527.thu

Posted

Cardi B is dominican and trinidadian here’s a picture of her natural hair btw 9E41B2A0-EE6E-4A44-9A25-06D4F4B1EDFB.thu

it looks like that emma girl stopped curling her hair after being exposed 

Still trying to claim that "natural tan" tho. 

Posted

Still trying to claim that "natural tan" tho. 

And the two shaded lips too! I can’t believe she thought we would believe she’s naturally that tan

Posted

Latinx-fishing seems to be more accurate for me when it comes to Ariana. But isn't Grande her actual last name? She's Italian, isn't she? 

Yeah that's because of her last name I thought she was Latina until very recently.

As for Cardi B, I believe earlier in her career, she identified as Afro-Latina or at least acknowledged she has African ancestry, but it's just starting to look more sus as the years go on.

As for Cardi, it's more a story of colorism rather than knowing if she sees herself as Afro-anything or not. When she called Black women roaches, that ass was talking about dark-skinned women (we all know that.) That's why I don't wanna claim her; she can stay waggling her tongue like some overgrown snake for all I care. I won't buy nor stream her music.

Posted (edited)

Latinx-fishing seems to be more accurate for me when it comes to Ariana. But isn't Grande her actual last name? She's Italian, isn't she? 

Personally, I don't think Ariana is latinx-fishing. She's extremely close with her family, and has lots of pictures with them on her ig. She even had her mom, her grandma and her cousin with her while she was performing the VMAs.

I think that if she wanted ppl to believe she's Latina, she definitely wouldn't be showing off her very white looking family lmao

Edited by peachjar

Posted

I don't really understand like..I dont know if I read wrong before but in her defense she said she is only so dark because she got tanned in summer? But she is this tanned all year around and even now its winter so like..how?

Posted (edited)

I don't really understand like..I dont know if I read wrong before but in her defense she said she is only so dark because she got tanned in summer? But she is this tanned all year around and even now its winter so like..how?

Spray tan and using foundation color that is too dark. Also, I'm not completely sure but I think I read she could also go to tanning salons, so.

Edited by Hyunah

Posted

Correct me if I am wrong, but Latino people are descendants of mainly Italic origin and Hispanic of Spanish, Portugese and Andorra, they all are shipped together because of the Latin language so adding French and Romanian too. Anybody with south European DNA in their blood should be considered "Latino" in both North and South America. Since Ariana has Italian and Sicialian roots, that makes her a "Latina". The US government just weirdly made it up in 1997 that anybody coming from spanish or portugese speaking countries from American continents is automatically a "Latino".

Posted

Correct me if I am wrong, but Latino people are descendants of mainly Italic origin and Hispanic of Spanish, Portugese and Andorra, they all are shipped together because of the Latin language so adding French and Romanian too. Anybody with south European DNA in their blood should be considered "Latino" in both North and South America. Since Ariana has Italian and Sicialian roots, that makes her a "Latina". The US government just weirdly made it up in 1997 that anybody coming from spanish or portugese speaking countries from American continents is automatically a "Latino".

In my opinion, modern usage of the word has definitely been claimed by Latin-Americans. I mean, most Latin-European people that I know don’t identify as “Latinos” when they get to the states. They identify as European/whatever their nationality is. I consider myself Latina, but have Portuguese family that would tick the “White” box on any document in the US.

Posted

As a Xicana I certainly do not consider European Italians, Spaniards, etc to be Latinx unless they come from a Latin American nation, which is plausible since many have European immigrant populations, and if so they would be considered White Latinx. Being Latinx is definitely an ethnic label towards people from Latin America, the US obviously created it to identify people from these countries since there’s a lot of us. More deeply, it’s a target towards Brown people in general since on documents when trying to apply for jobs for example, there’s a label “White Hispanic/Latino” that one could choose. If including those countries were the case then tons of colonized countries all over the world would be considered Latinx. The countries you mentioned are obviously Latin however but not Latinx. I do think this term is unique to the US (correct me if I’m wrong tho).

Anyway my whole statement there felt very off topic lmao so let me just say that Emma Hallberg’s upperlip looks crooked when she’s smiling with all that brown liner on and I can almost feel the greasiness of her face 😷. Blackfishing sorta only works when you take vacant selfies that have gone through facetune a million times. She def tweaks around her nose and eyes to look more Black.

65FDB1C5-EF38-41F9-BA31-E67D8F14B6FD.jpeg

Posted

Spray tan and using foundation color that is too dark. Also, I'm not completely sure but I think I read she could also go to tanning salons, so.

yeah she definitly uses that, but I mean like she excused being this dark because of her 'natural tan' during summer, but now its not summer anymore so she has no excuses why she is still this dark except using unnatural methods such as spray tan etc.