• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

General "Non-Blacks Pretending to be Black or mixed Black"/Blackfishing Thread

334 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah Rita Ora once said that people thinking she was black was good for her career 

Unfortunately I think a lot of the entertainment industry especially music in America think like this considering hip hop is the current most popular genre and they implement it into their white pop star protégés. Not music related but tons of blackfishes posted here have profited off of Black owned businesses when they’re promoting them on ig.

Imo Ariana’s team follows this but wanting her to appear exotic rather than Black, I don’t think she’s a blackfish either. She reflects the current trend and she’s the it girl pop star in a generation of instagram baddies so that influences how she looks, but keeping in mind that a lot of Black and Afro Latina women/influencers started these trends.

However tan is aggressive af lmao and like I said she and her team just seem unaware of how it can come across

2F194570-3ABB-4E74-8685-66BFEDF2FF1B.jpeg

Posted

THAT'S HER NAME! 

It's been evading me this whole time, but yes! Her! 

A celebrity I'd put down as a possible blackfish is Rita Ora. 

Rita_Ora_Full_Body_VMAs.original.jpg1_Rita-Ora.jpg

Yeah Rita Ora once said that people thinking she was black was good for her career 

Wow, I didn't know that Rita said that... That girl always bugged me tf out because I - like maaaany people - first thought she was mixed à la Tinashe, but when I heard she was Albanian... Lol. Glad her trying to profit from misconceptions about her race can't help her career take off as much as she wanted, especially outside of the UK/Europe.

Unfortunately I think a lot of the entertainment industry especially music in America think like this considering hip hop is the current most popular genre and they implement it into their white pop star protégés. Not music related but tons of blackfishes posted here have profited off of Black owned businesses when they’re promoting them on ig.

Imo Ariana’s team follows this but wanting her to appear exotic rather than Black, I don’t think she’s a blackfish either. She reflects the current trend and she’s the it girl pop star in a generation of instagram baddies so that influences how she looks, but keeping in mind that a lot of Black and Afro Latina women/influencers started these trends.

However tan is aggressive af lmao and like I said she and her team just seem unaware of how it can come across

2F194570-3ABB-4E74-8685-66BFEDF2FF1B.jpeg

Regarding the whole "Is Ariana Grande blackfishing?" debate, I don't really have a decisive answer about it? I always thought that lately, she was more a mix of her old latinx-fishing (making songs in Spanish, her name that could come from some South Am. country, etc.) and a bit of blackfishing sprinkled on top (use of AAVE and other codes of the Black community.) People who want to (over)tan are not specifically an indication of an ill-intent to appear Black, but Ariana's latest two "eras" and what she's doing right now are hella sus.

Posted

Another celebrity that is made out to look more exotic is Jesy nelson from little mix. As far as its known she's fully white british

jesy-nelson-t.jpg

celebs24.jpg

Posted

This one, some are just weirdly interested into the tan.

Posted (edited)

Another celebrity that is made out to look more exotic is Jesy nelson from little mix. As far as its known she's fully white british

jesy-nelson-t.jpg

celebs24.jpg

holy shit I thought she was mixed ! 

Also so I don’t think Ariana is deliberately trying to look mixed more like she’s trying to look Latina or something, but the tan coupled with her filling her lips so much makes her look like she’s trying to look mixed 

Edited by Cherryflavoured
forgot something

Posted

jesy-nelson-t.jpg

celebs24.jpg

Was about to post her too! She also has this incredibly iffy photo of her with dreads looking a little less than white.

New look: The awkward joke comes after Jesy was accused of 'cultural appropriation', when she wore her hair in twists

Posted

holy shit I thought she was mixed ! 

Also so I don’t think Ariana is deliberately trying to look mixed more like she’s trying to look Latina or something, but the tan coupled with her filling her lips so much makes her look like she’s trying to look mixed 

Latina’s don’t really have a certain look considering Black, White, Indigenous, Asian, mixed people etc can be Latina— but yeah she’s def milking her tan transformation combined with her surname lol

this tweet, albeit old, is interesting lmao this was shortly after the tween idol nickelodeon era

A00F5D23-41AE-45E2-828E-895607C05D5A.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I mean if we're also calling out celebrities who benefited from people thinking that they're black, would Bruno Mars (who's Filipino) count as well. That Afro when doing a 90s theme is questionable and I know a lot of people who said that they originally thought he was black. 

I mean at least he doesn't alter his skin color. 

Bruno's very mixed - according to a few sources, with Puerto Rican and Ashkenazi Jewish (in addition to Filipino). Those curls/afro are natural from what I can tell. 

I feel like it's the Puerto Rican that makes the difference here? Like, when it comes to genres like Hip Hop, R&B, Soul, ect. the black and Hispanic community have always kinda had an unspoken bond that just allows them to interact and blend in the genre. Many black people see people like Bruno and Cardi B as mixed black (or if you want to be less PC "mullato") because of the nature of their mixed ancestry. It's like we see Hispanics or Latinos as distant cousins. A lot of times, you'll hear people say that "the only difference between black Americans and Afro-Latinas is a boat trip". Plus, our cultures often have more similarities as well. 

Like, Kpop band Mamamoo did a cover of Uptown Funk and dressed like Bruno, and people took it as blackface for this reason. 

But, he has benefited greatly from the assumption that he is full Black. In fact, I feel like he ripped a lot of his shtick from Prince. It's just...complicated, I feel? Because of the nature of the relationship that the black community has with people like Bruno? Does that make sense? 

Edited by ZapGold

Posted

Bruno's very mixed - according to a few sources, with Puerto Rican and Ashkenazi Jewish (in addition to Filipino). Those curls/afro are natural from what I can tell. 

I feel like it's the Puerto Rican that makes the difference here? Like, when it comes to genres like Hip Hop, R&B, Soul, ect. the black and Hispanic community have always kinda had an unspoken bond that just allows them to interact and blend in the genre. Many black people see people like Bruno and Cardi B as mixed black (or if you want to be less PC "mullato") because of their nature of their mixed ancestry. It's like we see Hispanics or Latinos as distant cousins. A lot of times, you'll hear people say that "the only difference between black Americans and Afro-Latinas is a boat trip". Plus, our cultures often have more similarities as well. 

Like, Kpop band Mamamoo did a cover of Uptown Funk and dressed like Bruno, and people took it as blackface for this reason. 

But, he has benefited greatly from the assumption that he is full Black. In fact, I feel like he ripped a lot of his shtick from Prince. It's just...complicated, I feel? Because of the nature of the relationship that the black community has with people like Bruno? Does that make sense? 

Some people feel weird about cardi and bruno because the latino and black community are very separate even though the latino community includes black people. Its also the racism that black people face in latino communities that make people uncomfortable. But i think most people are fine with cardi and bruno because they would face the same racism that black people face currently and back in segregation, even though they are more ambiguous.

Also mulatto is not more pc, its a slavery term lmao. mixed race and biracial are definitely more pc. 

Cardi and Bruno celebrate and pay tribute to black culture than say miley cyrus and post malone who ride off of it as trend.

Posted

Wow, I didn't know that Rita said that... That girl always bugged me tf out because I - like maaaany people - first thought she was mixed à la Tinashe, but when I heard she was Albanian... Lol. Glad her trying to profit from misconceptions about her race can't help her career take off as much as she wanted, especially outside of the UK/Europe.

Regarding the whole "Is Ariana Grande blackfishing?" debate, I don't really have a decisive answer about it? I always thought that lately, she was more a mix of her old latinx-fishing (making songs in Spanish, her name that could come from some South Am. country, etc.) and a bit of blackfishing sprinkled on top (use of AAVE and other codes of the Black community.) People who want to (over)tan are not specifically an indication of an ill-intent to appear Black, but Ariana's latest two "eras" and what she's doing right now are hella sus.

Latinx-fishing seems to be more accurate for me when it comes to Ariana. But isn't Grande her actual last name? She's Italian, isn't she? 

Posted

I wonder if all these black fishers would be all about that racial ambiguity a few years ago when it would be less trendy to look black or mixed. I remember rihanna and beyonce would often have to make their appearance more eurocentric. People even made fun of beyonce's 1 year old child for looking too black.

I feel like most of this blackfishing is due to the kardashians and rap music videos popularising the trend and look. These women look like parodies of black women sometimes.

425.beyonce2.080708.jpg

Twitter-Did-anyone-else-think-Blue-Ivy-1e330b.png

Rihanna-fan.jpg

Posted (edited)

I feel like it's the Puerto Rican that makes the difference here? Like, when it comes to genres like Hip Hop, R&B, Soul, ect. the black and Hispanic community have always kinda had an unspoken bond that just allows them to interact and blend in the genre. Many black people see people like Bruno and Cardi B as mixed black (or if you want to be less PC "mullato") because of the nature of their mixed ancestry. It's like we see Hispanics or Latinos as distant cousins. A lot of times, you'll hear people say that "the only difference between black Americans and Afro-Latinas is a boat trip". Plus, our cultures often have more similarities as well. 

is there any confirmation that Cardi is mixed black? I feel like this argument has been going on forever and no confirmation. After she called black women roaches like it's nothing and other examples of her racism, I'm starting to think she doesn't identify as such so she's also on my sus list. 

Typed a whole paragraph on black and Latino relations myth but someone else already said what I was about to say. But this Bruno thing was actually a semi big topic last year around Grammy time and when he was getting sued for plagiarism. Got no answer though.  

Edited by Zeldurr

Posted

is there any confirmation that Cardi is mixed black? I feel like this argument has been going on forever and no confirmation. After she called black women roaches like it's nothing and other examples of her racism, I'm starting to think she doesn't identify as such

And honestly, living in California as a black person was the total opposite for me as far as black and non black Latino relations. Latinos hated us and vice versa (not me personally) and it's been like this for years. And that doesn't mean non black latinos can't be anti black as well so this whole paragraph is surprising me. 

I think she just Puerto rican  and im on the East coast and its kinda the same in ceritan areas here with Latina and Black women relationships.

Posted

Some people feel weird about cardi and bruno because the latino and black community are very separate even though the latino community includes black people. Its also the racism that black people face in latino communities that make people uncomfortable. But i think most people are fine with cardi and bruno because they would face the same racism that black people face currently and back in segregation, even though they are more ambiguous.

Also mulatto is not more pc, its a slavery term lmao. mixed race and biracial are definitely more pc. 

Cardi and Bruno celebrate and pay tribute to black culture than say miley cyrus and post malone who ride off of it as trend.

I used mullato specifically as a less PC term. 

is there any confirmation that Cardi is mixed black? I feel like this argument has been going on forever and no confirmation. After she called black women roaches like it's nothing and other examples of her racism, I'm starting to think she doesn't identify as such so she's also on my sus list. 

Typed a whole paragraph on black and Latino relations myth but someone else already said what I was about to say. But this Bruno thing was actually a semi big topic last year around Grammy time and when he was getting sued for plagiarism. Got no answer though.  

I was specifically talking about Latino and Black relations in regards to the Hip Hop and R&B music industry. Racial relations in the US and South American countries are a whole nother glove box that would be a little thread-derailing to open. 

From what I can tell, most people accept Bruno because he acknowledges his influences, has always acknowledged his influences, acknowledges his mixed ancestry, and actually respects black people.

As for Cardi B, I believe earlier in her career, she identified as Afro-Latina or at least acknowledged she has African ancestry, but it's just starting to look more sus as the years go on.