• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Dumbest things you’ve ever seen on tumblr?

166 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Self-explanatory title, just out of morbid curiosity. Feel free to list any stupid tumblr oddities and crappy movements, old and new. For me personally, it’s a toss-up between MAPs/NOMAPs and the “Fat Acceptance” movement. :stoplz:

Archived posts/ screencaps about what you’ve seen are especially welcome. :feelgood:

If this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to let me know. 

Edited by Fat disgusting weeb

Posted

I seen somebody call the Ottoman Empire an empire of color (EoC). It was then that I knew it was time for me to leave Tumblr.

Posted

I seen somebody call the Ottoman Empire an empire of color (EoC). It was then that I knew it was time for me to leave Tumblr.

It’s seriously gotten to this point? :stoplz: 

My disappointment in that site grows stronger.

Posted

Everything on the site. From the 100 genders to the true crime crushing on serial killers community. It's a site I don't care to every venture back into. 

Posted

Everything on the site. From the 100 genders to the true crime crushing on serial killers community. It's a site I don't care to every venture back into. 

I’ve heard bits and pieces about the true crime community, but haven’t really bothered to venture into that part. Those people need to seek professional help, judging from what little I do know about. :alpacawink:

And as for the 100+ genders, it’s pretty sad how many people don’t know the difference between sexual orientation and actual gender, let alone how many sexualities are made up in the name of the snowflake syndrome.

Posted

I was on tumblr when the “planking” trend was a thing (I feel really old), and that was a really dumb moment in time.

1AC5342A-5357-4585-AC53-4B5C400184F9.thu

Posted

I don't know how many issues about race, sexuality, gender and culture that fill that fucking place. I originally went on to Tumblr to find some soft pictures of flowers and cute stuff, but instead I got sucked into people telling mid-teenagers that relationships with 30+ year olds are completely fine. I think some of the most outrageous things I've come across is when I realize that these people really are not trolling, they are absolutely serious when they suggest that nothing is ever a problem. It's not an issue that you're depressed as fuck, that you self-harm in a viriety of ways, that you identify as a dragon or a wolf, that you gatekeep and brigade those who disagree, or that you are casually racist towards while people because COLONIALISM. I also strongly disapprove of how much fake science gets passed around on Tumblr. Why the fuck are you spreading false information that people will get cancer from wearing sunscreen????? AGH

Posted

honestly one of the things that irks me the most is that, mostly americans there seem to thing that you only got black people and white people. everything else? yawn, no one cares.

also saw a black girl comment on a post about Uruguay passing some trans laws...she commented "When EVEN Uruguay is more progressive than the US" ... like, bitch, I don't even know where to start with that one. her bio was something about being woke and stuff, it would be funny if it wasn't sad.

i mostly cleaned up who I follow tho, so I mostly just get shitposts/memes there and some nice soft photos so...most of the time i don't see dumb shit like that tho.

Posted

The amount of times americans forget that people all over the world use the internet and not only them

If i have to read one more post about race made by an american i might explode

(also, it's disgusting to see how much shit americans post on tumblr about world and american politics. it's like fake news but made by high school students thinking they are the most unproblematic people on earth bc they saw black panther once and reblogged and info post about the us midterm elections)

oh, i almost forgot: the glorification of communism (this goes mostly for all the americans on the site, probs bc they aren't educated properly about it)

for reference, i study political science

The sad part is, I agree with you. None of these people know what the fuck they’re talking about, and it’s scary how fast their nonsense spreads on tumblr because the site mechanics are trash. You get benign to really insane or stupid posts getting all this attention that they don’t really deserve.

I don't know how many issues about race, sexuality, gender and culture that fill that fucking place. I originally went on to Tumblr to find some soft pictures of flowers and cute stuff, but instead I got sucked into people telling mid-teenagers that relationships with 30+ year olds are completely fine. I think some of the most outrageous things I've come across is when I realize that these people really are not trolling, they are absolutely serious when they suggest that nothing is ever a problem. It's not an issue that you're depressed as fuck, that you self-harm in a viriety of ways, that you identify as a dragon or a wolf, that you gatekeep and brigade those who disagree, or that you are casually racist towards while people because COLONIALISM. I also strongly disapprove of how much fake science gets passed around on Tumblr. Why the fuck are you spreading false information that people will get cancer from wearing sunscreen????? AGH

People seriously think you get cancer from SUNSCREEN of all things now? Stupid, but definitely not surprising. I think the amount of fake science (or lack of science in general, since a lot of these guys LOOOOOOOVE to deny facts that are facts for a reason) is absolutely horrifying, and people need to call this shit out.

I was on tumblr when the “planking” trend was a thing (I feel really old), and that was a really dumb moment in time.

1AC5342A-5357-4585-AC53-4B5C400184F9.thu

The saddest part is, the planking era is probably the most intelligent tumblr  has ever been.

honestly one of the things that irks me the most is that, mostly americans there seem to thing that you only got black people and white people. everything else? yawn, no one cares.

also saw a black girl comment on a post about Uruguay passing some trans laws...she commented "When EVEN Uruguay is more progressive than the US" ... like, bitch, I don't even know where to start with that one. her bio was something about being woke and stuff, it would be funny if it wasn't sad.

i mostly cleaned up who I follow tho, so I mostly just get shitposts/memes there and some nice soft photos so...most of the time i don't see dumb shit like that tho.

True, it all depends who you follow/ who follows you. The bios on tumblr are just hot garbage. If they say anything about gender, weird/made-up pronouns, race, politics, kintypes, or headmates, I just don’t take them seriously EVER. Some of the bios I’ve seen are just out of this world broken, not including the even crazier content that’s usually on those blogs.

And the fact that american tumblrinas only care about black people as far as race is concerned isn’t entirely accurate. They go crazy if they find out you’re any race that isn’t white, and even crazier if they find out you’re of specific religions as well (ie: islam.) They sometimes even go so far as to claim they themselves are a different race when they’re not (they call themselves “transracial”, and I wish I was kidding) and then turn around and condemn white people for enjoying things that come from another culture, calling it “cultural appropriation”. I’m willing to bet none of them know what that term actually means.

Posted

How can i not forget about that one time someone CUT THEIR OWN TOE FOR THE SAKE OF 🌸ARTS🌸. Tumblr has reached the pinnacle of dumbassery. 

Posted

How can i not forget about that one time someone CUT THEIR OWN TOE FOR THE SAKE OF 🌸ARTS🌸. Tumblr has reached the pinnacle of dumbassery. 

Wtf :alpacaworry:

For me it's the RP community for all the reasons, but mostly because I was part of it and got sucked into it so damn quickly that I couldn't get out for years. It was addicting to me because I enjoyed the replies to my writing (at least towards the end), but in general everyone there was so damn toxic.

Posted

6A70C4CB-2879-4845-B860-4CE752E8B57C.thuWhat the fuck are they trying to accomplish here, exactly? I actually did not hear about this one, so forgive me if I sound uninformed, but I hope they got mental help, because holy fucking shit.

Wtf :alpacaworry:

For me it's the RP community for all the reasons, but mostly because I was part of it and got sucked into it so damn quickly that I couldn't get out for years. It was addicting to me because I enjoyed the replies to my writing (at least towards the end), but in general everyone there was so damn toxic.

Especially when you do fandom-themed ones. The toxicity is ESPECIALLY strong in those, and I seriously don’t blame people for leaving. Like, you can ship characters and NOT be a frothing lunatic to everyone who disagrees....

I think that is beyond most people in those communities though. I think the biggest problem with the RP community are the people who don’t have a decent grip on reality, and become so immersed in it, they can’t tell the difference between the RP and what’s really going on.

Posted (edited)

I saw half the website attempt to bully a trans person to suicide because they said "not all cis are bad" something along those lines. The person who lead the hunt threatened to kill themselves if they got their own account taken down from being mass reported.

The boneghazi situation where a """"witch"""" was called out for grave robbing bones for """"rituals"""" they defended themselves by saying that they took bones off the ground that were washed out of graves.

The shoplifting fandom "I can't afford to eat every day but I'm stealing 100$ makeup palettes because fuck the system"

Some woke anime blog rant about the lack of racial diversity in anime and called Japan "white-washed." YOU KNOW, BECAUSE JAPAN IS FULL OF WHITE PEOPLE.

And the entire culture of self-diagnosed BPD/Bipolar/DID/any 'severe' mental illness/ teenagers acting like they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions because they're ill or a minor.

Edit: And TERFs are terrible people fight me

Edited by Lopunny
added on

Posted

I usually keep to the Anime side of Tumblr but i have seen some stupid shit. I ran into blogs that made full on blog post based on one off comments that a Directer from a anime or a Manga-Ka said in a interview FULL ON BLOG POST some times its can go on to 2-4 post based on one thing these people said in interviews sometimes YEARS ago. Some even make dumb theory's revolving around the anime based on what was said in the interview .

Another thing i seen is gif stealers.. Its dumb to me because they get caught automatically. One was even so ballsy enough to make a patron and charge people to make gif that they steal.

When i do venture out of the anime side of tumblr i find Core blogs baffling. Like I get Animecore and Teencore (Nostalgia for those who grew up in the early 00's) but why is there a Grandmacore who is that for?

It can get dumber just wait.