• Announcements

• Moderator Applications Open!   05/20/17

Hi everyone! We're looking to expand our moderation team. See this thread for the link if you are interested. Thanks!

Dry Skin!

18 posts in this topic

Posted

For the past few days I have had the worst dry skin! It's all over my face, and it looks super awful.

I haven't been able to figure out what to do to help it, I've tried using face cream and that didn't work, and drinking water doesn't seem to be making a difference either. I have no idea why my skin is so dry and flakey all of a sudden, because this isn't an issue I've ever had before!

Any suggestions would be super appreciated! :alpacacrush:

Posted

I can only think of that your skin is sensitive to the cold weather and probably the heater air as well. I have the same problem right now with very flakey forehead and dry spots on my scalp. 

I have no solution for that right now so far... I try to use coconut oil and layer on a lot of cream or sheabutter over night. 

Posted

I use a thin layer of Cerave Healing Ointment. It is a occlusive moisturizer so you should apply it after your normal moisturizer, it seals in moisture, it won't let anything enter or leave.

Posted

thanks guys :alpacalove:

Posted

What is your climate? Do you use a heater or AC? Any recent changes in your routine like using a hairdryer?

Drinking water and using moisturizer will not give instant results. Give it around a week. :lamaheadshake:

Posted

Aquaphor does it for me. 

Posted

Facial Masks do help too! The spot between my eyebrows is always very dry so I use facial masks (or sheet masks) every two days which makes it less flakey. Water is always good as well as using high-moisturizing cream. Cetaphil is really great for dry, sensitive skin and ever since I started using it my skin got a lot better! 

Posted

I swear by Vanicream. It's a little expensive but it lasts a long time and you can use it all over. Thick, moisturizing, fragrance-free, comes in pump jar. It's the best face moisturizer I've ever used.

Posted

I have super dry skin and eczema. I recently bought the Boscia red clay konjac sponge and it's surprisingly really hydrating on my skin. There are cheaper red clay konjac sponges out there so you don't need to spend the $15 on the Boscia one. My skin is normal now.

Posted

I have super dry skin and eczema. I recently bought the Boscia red clay konjac sponge and it's surprisingly really hydrating on my skin. There are cheaper red clay konjac sponges out there so you don't need to spend the $15 on the Boscia one. My skin is normal now.

I have eczema sometimes too (i put lotion on when i see it coming back) and Cetaphil's Restoraderm moisturizer always stops my skin from getting dry, it's not oily so it's never caused me to breakout, and it gets absorbed fast so if anyone puts a moisturizer on before makeup it works great because you only have to wait like a couple minutes before its pretty much entirely absorbed

Posted (edited)

For the past few days I have had the worst dry skin! It's all over my face, and it looks super awful.

I haven't been able to figure out what to do to help it, I've tried using face cream and that didn't work, and drinking water doesn't seem to be making a difference either. I have no idea why my skin is so dry and flakey all of a sudden, because this isn't an issue I've ever had before!

Any suggestions would be super appreciated! :alpacacrush:

Personally, I know if I shave I use the eos shaving cream which makes me smell good and my skin really soft. I don't know about face creams though

edit: actually, if you can afford it, i use this grapefruit skin mask, which gets rid of acne too. it clears out your pores as well, i forget the brand. they sell it at ultra stores if you're in the US. be careful though, because some of the mask are really potent

Edited by Shinobu

Posted

I've had dermatitis, which is kind of like eczema, since middle school and here's what I've gathered over the years:

Exfoliate about once a week, or less if your skin is sensitive, then immediately follow with a serum and/or moisturizer. Over time your outermost layer of dead skin will start to build up and can hinder the amount of product that's actually making it to the underlying layers. Dirt, makeup, and oil can also get caught in this dead-skin layer which gave me breakouts and dry patches. I avoid using abrasive scrubs because it's just too much for me. Instead, I use a konjac sponge with a gentle cream cleanser, that way my face won't feel all scratched up lol!

What you put on your face, and where on your face, matters (some areas are more sensitive than others). Avoid products with fragrances or other drying ingredients. Always wear SPF. Keep your environment in mind, if it's humid, dry, hot, cold, etc. Errm, that's all I can think of off the top of my head, I hope this helped ._.

Posted

I found that only argan or coconut oil works for me. Creams don't even penetrate my dryness. I like the fact that throughout the day you can pat a bit of oil on your skin and have immediate results while not ruining your makeup.

Posted (edited)

Not sure if this is too late. 

When washing your face opt for a cleanser geared towards sensitive skin. Same goes with makeup remover. Harsh chemicals will dry the skin. Exfoliate the dead skin once or twice a week, never one day after the other. Use face masks/sheet masks every 2-3 days. Use plenty of moisturizer twice a day. If you wear makeup, use a hydrating primer. 

My routine: MaryKay oil free makeup remover, First Aid Beauty - Ultra Repair Wash, Dr G Brightening Gel (once a week), Clean and Clear acne Control Moisturizer (day and night), Sephora daily moisturizer (night), and MaryKay timewise eye cream (night). My sheetmasks are random brands tbh. And makeup primer is Kat Von D.

I am a bride-to-be with dry skin and acne scars so my skincare is very intense these days. These products are all available in the US. 

Edited by Muñeca♡
Remembered some products

Posted

If you have dry skin, it's best that you don't over exfoliate. Also, ever since I started using oil cleansers (I now double cleanse) I've noticed that my face gets less dry.

You can also try hydrating facial masks and always moisturize.