• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

SammieSpeaks / twinbuns

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

SammieSpeaks
Also known as: twinbuns, Samantha “Sammie” Cherie, Sam Kendelson

sammiespeaks.thumb.gif.807231dd8ab97ac0f

YouTube / YouTube (gaming acc) / Instagram / Instagram (2nd acc) / Twitter / TumblrPatreon / Twitch / YouNowFacebook (defunct?)
Snapchat: SamCherie

Sammie is a 21-year-old “aesthetic” YouTuber from the US who makes videos largely focusing on makeup, fashion, and lifestyle. She currently has over 130,000 subscribers on YouTube, and over 13,300 followers on Instagram. She has gone through several different phases during her time on YouTube, and has previously made kawaii tutorials, storytime videos, and vlogs.

Some examples of her older videos:

These days she is most well-known for her “aesthetic” makeup tutorials, try-on hauls, and her Tea and a Chat series. Her Instagram account shows some pretty egregious reuse of selfie poses:

theface.thumb.jpg.f426fca773287cf6249f9a
(Recently these types of photos have become less frequent, but they still pop up from time to time.)

Issues:

• She was criticised for appropriating the art hoe movement (created by and for POC artists) by making a makeup tutorial using it as an “aesthetic”. The finished look seems to be inspired by East Asian makeup more than anything else.
    • She has never responded to this criticism, and in fact still promotes fanart of this look and derivative videos without acknowledging her mistake or correcting anyone.

Comments:

01.thumb.png.a372a48e334bb8748741348b7ae04.thumb.png.fc14a6aa5eda2599e2789b4af48
05.thumb.png.6a4bde4f4d6f9f34801b0506560

Continued promotion:

06.thumb.png.e877dd608768a3b9831a6355b5a
07.thumb.jpg.06c267ae4130aecf366d97b8b4b

08.thumb.png.1a19761b2f05e606324162f7fd3
09.thumb.png.5c4b688e6626432553e8dfb1561

• [TW: eating disorders]
  • Despite having suffered from an eating disorder herself (and even making a short film about it), Sammie plays into the idea than “thin” = “healthy” in order to promote her vegan lifestyle:
    Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.28.28.thumb
    (full thread)

Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.33.22.thumb

• Although she wants to have lots of subscribers, she shows complete disdain for them when she is criticised, they don't watch certain videos, or they unsubscribe:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.36.42.thumb
Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.36.50.thumb
Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.36.59.thumb
Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.37.08.thumb
N.B. Despite this rant about how she hates makeup, there's been almost no change in content and she still makes plenty of makeup tutorials.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.37.18.thumb
Fairly okay response, right? Wait for it...

Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.37.25.thumb
Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.37.34.thumb

• She often talks about how ~smol~ she is – sometimes she complains about how awful it is looking so young and fitting into kids’ clothes, but sometimes it’s “fun”:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.43.21.thumb
Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.43.34.thumb
Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.43.41.thumb
Screen_Shot_2018-10-14_at_21.43.46.thumb

Edited by Yumeno

Posted

fINALLY SOMEONE MADE A THREAD ABOUT HER!!! 

i actually found her with one of her storytimes talking about a roomate and friend that stole stuff from her, since it was interesting and okay i subscribed.... i couldn't stand her for more than a month oof

there are tons of things that irk me about her, one being that she has the lgbt flag thrown around in her room and takes pics with it being a whole heterosexual.... yikes 

Posted

If anyone thinks that she looks like a 12 year old or a 14 year old, they have probably NEVER seen a 12 year old or a 14 year old. 

20181022_153657.thumb.jpg.1122005ff3a7df

She doesn't look old at all, she has kind of a youthful (appeal?), but she looks at LEAST 18-20 imo.

How could she expect anyone to believe that someone mistook her for a 12 year old? If she had 16 year old it would've been slightly more believable (but still, not very believable.)

Her makeup isn't really bad overall though, (but I don't have very high standards so maybe I'm not the best to comment.) And in terms of style she seems to just do whatever's popular, nothing all that interesting (not exceptionally creative but not necessarily bad... just common.)

Her attitude/behaviour is... something else though. :beardo:

Posted (edited)

Why does she say she "actually does her makeup like this" and then goes on to says it comes off as soon as she finishes filming? Does she just not...leave her house with makeup on? That's such a weird thing to say. 

Edited by darlin

Posted

Her eyebrows look so much better without that makeup she does. 

Posted

Why is she eating at McDonald’s if she’s vegan? Even the fries are cooked in animal fat! 

B9F7377B-6274-4D94-98F3-A45186DFEE31.thu

This tweet made me feel really bad for her. Based off her photos, she doesn’t even look overweight. 

8D01D630-1B71-4D31-9217-8058FB44B414.thu

Posted

When she talks about her old looks, she pretty much acts like "fat" and "ugly" are the same thing. Its sad to hear bc she thinks she was ugly just because she weighed a more than she does now (which is not true, she's pretty either way). Its awful for her to be putting that message out online though, weight does not equate to beauty.

I also hate how she talks about school. Like yeah, not everybody loves it but I feel like she plays up the drama like "I was fat so everyone hated me" among other things. Not being skinny in high school can suck, but I really doubt that her weight was the source of all her problems, especially after seeing her attitude in many of her videos.

Basically, I think she just has a really negative attitude and she seems like the kind of person with a 13-18 year old (impressionable) audience so I think its dangerous for her to spread her negative mindset about body types and school. I think the worse thing she does is give the impression that you can just drop out of school and be a youtuber since she did it. honestly i think her youtube career could have been even more successful if she finished school and developed socially as a result

Posted (edited)

Hi I’ve been lurking for awhile now but I found some rather hurtful things she said. So basically on her Instagram story she was watching a Japanese Drama called Switched.

The drama is about a girl who switches bodies   And switches into a chubby girl. Sammie said On her Instagram story in quotes “ if this were me I’d start exercising immediately, if I got switched back into that body” She said way more crap. I just found that insensitive of her. 

Edited by Fixyourgoddamnlife

Posted

Omg. This girl. I know her irl (friends friend) and she is just the worst person imaginable. She is so disrespectful and doesn’t care about anyone but herself. Sammie’s book that just came out was co-wrote and now she doesn’t want to give anything to the other author. She is manipulated and money hungry. From the personal not YouTube interactions with Sammie, she has been nothing but in my eyes a money hungry whore. She doesn’t care nor support anyone else on YouTube, instead she bashed them completely. Don’t be around this thing. Run if you’re in her site.

Posted

I'm curious how she has the subscriber count she does with such low video views

Posted

oh my god FINALLY YES someone made a thread about her....

I hate how she's coopted LGBT movements for her "Aesthetic" and to see like an ally uwu!!! even though shes straight ... she made a WHOLE video called "how to come out when you're in a relationship...like...you are straight...why are you doing this

and a ~pride outfits~ video?? ...bitch its not an aesthetic??

Her new book too is about two boys in love like..idk it just sounds very straight girl writing a gay fanfic that fetishizes queer men to me....

Ugh just...bad vibes all around and this type of shit is really upsetting to me  

Posted (edited)

This thread is dead but I CANNOT deal with her newest video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW2mHImk2NI

She just made an entire video throwing her friend under the bus for not helping her with writing this book they were supposed to be co authors on. First this definitely seems like something that did not have to be public, and should have stayed between the two of them. She then continues to say that she's "never met someone with as much drive as her!!" and she "doesnt have any friends with the same drive as her" and "no one can match her" completely seriously.... I'm....the amount of egocentrism this girls has... I'm truly astounded. I can't stop laughing honestly

Edited by fruitistarr

Posted (edited)

This thread is dead but I CANNOT deal with her newest video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW2mHImk2NI

She just made an entire video throwing her friend under the bus for not helping her with writing this book they were supposed to be co authors on. First this definitely seems like something that did not have to be public, and should have stayed between the two of them. She then continues to say that she's "never met someone with as much drive as her!!" and she "doesnt have any friends with the same drive as her" and "no one can match her" completely seriously.... I'm....the amount of egocentrism this girls has... I'm truly astounded. I can't stop laughing honestly

Her face is just full of powder, the pale thing escaped from her hands.
ALSO in this video, at around two minutes, she basically says to cancel all the monthly subscriptions and she prides of how she bums other people account including her fans Crunchyroll account! ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYScxMhd6fs 

Edited by luthi

Posted (edited)

Edited by yes_i_have_no_life

Posted

I'm so confused. How does she have 130k+ subscribers but barely hit 1k views?? ummmm