• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Dealing with dry lips

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I live in a hot country so sleeping at night with a fan+AC and not drinking enough water always does this. After it happens I drink water like crazy for the next few days and use Carmex healing balm around the clock until it's fixed. After that you have to be up on your water intake and possibly avoid ACs that dehumidify/fans blowing directly on you.

Posted

Wow, so many solutions :o Thank you all, I'm going to try everything and see what works best for me :alpacacrush:

Posted (edited)

I recommend you to exfoliate your lips with honey and sugar and then apply this product. How I use it: Since it's sticky and thick (like a lip gloss), I apply this at night after my skin care routine. 

When I wake up, I wipe it and my dead skin come off, my lips are so soft! If you don't care about the lip gloss texture, you can apply this and you will not have to reapply it. During winter, I have dry patches sometimes, I also use it, and my dry patches disappear! Also the product will last you for a very long time so I really recommend it! 

Also you should drink a lot of water! It will help not only with your lips but also with your health, skin, etc.

image.jpeg

Edited by Kumari
Forgot an advice

Posted (edited)

Try putting some petroleum jelly it works and makes my lips soft :alpacacrush: also exoliate you lips i also recommend using lush's lipscrubs

Edited by Euphoric

Posted

Balm Dotcom from Glossier was my only salvation.

Posted

Its a big difference lol. We did learn this in 4th grade elementary school.

http://www.cancercenter.com/discussions/blog/natural-vs-refined-sugars-whats-the-difference/

Yup. The sugars found in fruit etc. also contribute to aging. In general high glucose isn't too good for that

Sugar does not play a role in dry lips, and there's a citation needed for how sugars play a role in aging. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend reducing sugar levels for the sake of treating dry lips, but I will say maintaining a balanced diet for overall health is beneficial.

The difference between natural and refined sugars doesn't come from structural dissimilarities, but rather in what foods contain them. The body processes all sugar the same once it's been broken down and ready for absorption.

Tips for Chapped Lips:

1. Hydration is key. The majority of people do not drink enough fluids throughout the day. Avoid caffeinated beverages, like teas, coffees, and energy drinks, because caffeine is a diuretic that increases urination. 

2. Choose lip balms with SPF protection. The skin on your lips is more delicate than the skin covering the rest of your body, but it's skin nonetheless. This means it should be protected from the sun's harmful UVB (damages the skin) and UVA (penetrates deeper to contribute to aging) rays.

3. Try not to lick your lips. The saliva contains digestive enzymes that may irritate the lips, and evaporation will often take some of the lips' moisture along with it.

4. Use a humidifier at night if the air is dry. Humidifiers can also help maintain moisture and reduce irritation to the airways.

5. Apply an emollient lip product and avoid flavors, fragrances, and added colors. Emollients are also called moisturizers, and they work by locking in hydration by reducing evaporation. Additives may contain ingredients that can irritate already damaged skin, so they shouldn't be used until your lips have healed. Additionally, waxy products are more protective against the elements, but they don't do a whole lot to heal.

Hope this helps!

Posted

I swear by the Aritaum Ginger Sugar lip mask. It's around $10 and Amazon carries it. I've tried dozens of balms because my lips were perpetually dry. I apply a thick layer of this before bed and then gently wipe it off in the morning. This is honestly the best balm I've ever used. The ginger scent is really subtle, if you're sensitive to scents.

aritaum-ginger-sugar-overnight-sugar-overnight-lip-mask-01.jpg

Posted

There's this stuff called 'Chap-Ice' at the dollar store (the actual dollar store franchise)- its only 75 cent here. It works so well for extremely dry lips if you can get past the intense mint smell. It's medicated lip balm which always have a nauseating mint smell. When I wasn't living in tropical climates it always was a quick fix to my really flaky "winter-lips". I dread the winter for that reason. 

Posted

I've had really dry, chappy lips that bled from time to time for years. My friend recently introduced this product called Nuxe Reve de Miel Ultra-Nourishing Lip Balm with Honey and Precious Oils (wow that was long) to me and I really like it! I've tried dozens of lip balm before and most of them really just don't work - the best they do is to keep my lips soft for awhile but if I sleep with the AC on overnight, I get really dry lips again the next day. This one doesn't give me the moist lips I want, but it keeps my lips from drying out when I apply a thick layer overnight.

Another little tip I picked up from r/AsianBeauty is to use a bit of Hada Labo's hydrating lotion on my lips when I need a quick boost. It does moisturise very well and quickly, although I don't know if there are any side-effects from accidentally ingesting the lotion :alpacaworry: A small dab of the lotion with Nuxe's balm over it keeps my lips protected even in my office's horribly dry AC air.

Posted

Happened to me a lot before that it started cracking and bleeding when i stretch it too much :darth:

I started drinking lots of water and eating citrus. Vitamin c also helps. 

I use honey too and (olive oil + sugar scrub)

If i do scrub too hard and my lips start to feel like it's burning, I slab on some oatmeal to numb the pain. 

Posted (edited)

Try to avoid salty things like chips or anything that will accidentally get salt on your lips. Same for lemons or citrus. It's fine to eat it; just don't get it on your mouth. Other than that diet won't give you dry lips; what matters is what gets on your actual lips. Of course drink a lot of water, like others have suggested and try to eat water rich foods like watermelon etc.

One of the biggest tips I can give you is to stop messing with your lips. Take a break from the scrubs and chapsticks. When you buy chapstick, try to avoid the ones that have a bunch of chemicals listed because your lips will actually become dependent on the chapstick and when you stop using it the chapping will get worse. Try to get the ones with natural ingredients only. One brand I like is Kiss My Face. 

Final tip; try cutting any beauty products --toothpaste in particular-- that has SLS as one of the ingredients. (SLS stands for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.) I just changed my toothpaste to a SLS free brand and my lips have improved dramatically. 

***Just wanted to add to make sure you are getting enough healthy fats in your diet. Avacados, nuts, peanut butter, olives or olive oil… that kind of thing. 

Edited by Spooky Moon
adding stuff

Posted

I read somewhere that if you use an older clean toothbrush and apply chapstick and then scrub your lips with the brush, it exfoliates while also rubbing the chapstick in to help keep them a little less dry. Also drinking a lot of water helps, if you drink tea or coffee often then drink more water. Using a warm air humidifier in the winter when you sleep is also good.

Posted

I know this is an older thread but I have always found Blistex to be my holy grail set lip product throughout winter. The intensive repair option specifically I use at night, layering it on and in the morning my chapped lips always seem significantly less chapped. I hope this helps someone :alpacaheadshake: