• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Storytime Animators (General thread)

70 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As suggested by Lopunny in the Spechie thread, I thought it'd be a good idea to request this kind of topic.

What is a Storytime animator?

Storytime animators are a community on YouTube consisting out of people who talk about things that happened in their lives, accompanied by their own animated illustrations. This is, however, not always the case, as some of them don't really animate, but just show sliding still images and others don't draw their art themselves but hire an artist to do so. Famous examples of them include JaidenAnimations, TheOdd1sOut and Domics. Some YouTubers that were known for doing other stuff, have jumped on the animated story bandwagon as well, such as TerryTV and Jordan Sweeto.

The community boomed in the past few years, so naturally some... less good creators sneaked in. So yeah, when I gave people like Jaiden as an example, I'm not trying to say, they themselves are problematic. Definitely not.
Not all of them are, but some of them tend to get called out for being, bitchy, dramatic, having lazy art or obviously making up fictional stories.

General issues within the community:

• Existence of fake knock-off accounts that jump on the bandwagon and post 'fan-submitted' content, often lacking seriousness with severe topics.
    • Examples: My Story Animated, Actually happened, ...
  • Tracing of memes and art.
    • Examples: Daidus, Spechie, ...
  • Trend hopping, copying of one another.
    • Examples: TerryTV hopping to the storytime community, Wolfychu taking 'inspiration' from YouTubers like Emirichu and LilyPichu, ...
  • Usage of a very simplistic artstyle.
  • Lazy artstyles.
    • Examples: Wolfy and Spechie, ...
  • The fact that a large chunk of the community has a very similar personality and caters to the same fandom.
  • The amount of people that leech off Jaiden and James' succes, both by doing collabs and adding them in hidden tags of video's neither of them appear in (both WolfyChu and Spechie have been caught doing this).
  • Extremely exaggerated or possibly fake stories.
    • TerryTV, Tabbes, ...
  • Extreme victim complex, little to no introspection or whatsoever.
    • Most of them, but Shgurr is a prime example.

Existing threads of Storytime animators

• Spechie  (Basically a cyberbully w/ lazy, traced art and an attitude; update 2019, Spechie has apologized for the bullying)
  • WolfyChu (Textbook example of a fake loli, lazy art, makes up stories and probably lies about her voice and cuteness)
  • TerryTV (Regardless of his other content, Terry started doing storytime animations, which are overly dramatic and very likely fake as well)

Edited by Baby Pink

Posted

I got some controversies for you :alpacawink:

CypherDen: 

Made a video about how she was scammed out of work and her animation was used without getting paid. Due to her wonky details, everybody thought it was Jinkx Monsoon's 'Cartoons and Vodka' music video so her fans dogpiled them. Even though Jinkx's video was published long before Cypher's was, she got a LOT of hate from her rabid fans until Cypher stepped in months later to tell them they had the wrong person.

Video:

Jinkx's music video, CypherDen's comment is at the top

The entire Fox Goodman/TheBlack1sOut controversy

Guy has been accused of ripping TheOdd1sOut's art style, some drama about him actually being someone named Matt Spicer? It's a rabbit hole of details but Fox said he'd be making changes to his channel and stop making his animations resemble TheOdd1sOut's style... except he didn't stop. Every one of his videos has more dislikes than likes. 

Tabbes:

Most of her stories come off as r/thathappened bullshit but she says they're true. States she doesn't care about getting criticism... except that when DaftPina made a video that criticized her channel, she blocked him and then made a diss track on her "NICE TRACK" video about his "subjective commentary." Also she's friends with Spechie so that's another one.

Posted

The entire Fox Goodman/TheBlack1sOut controversy

Guy has been accused of ripping TheOdd1sOut's art style, some drama about him actually being someone named Matt Spicer? It's a rabbit hole of details but Fox said he'd be making changes to his channel and stop making his animations resemble TheOdd1sOut's style... except he didn't stop. Every one of his videos has more dislikes than likes. 

Another good video is the one that pointed out the Fox Goodman/ Matt Spicer situation in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJGzRI_Vqg

and a good overview of things like Odd1sout's manipulation via him saying he won't follow you unless you do one speific thing for him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6j7cGI3ZaQ

I don't know why it's not embedding 

Posted

Tabbes:

Most of her stories come off as r/thathappened bullshit but she says they're true. States she doesn't care about getting criticism... except that when DaftPina made a video that criticized her channel, she blocked him and then made a diss track on her "NICE TRACK" video about his "subjective commentary." Also she's friends with Spechie so that's another one.

I remember her video ended up in my recommendeds and I think I save it for later it was the "I was a Mute for Three Years" or whatever vid. It struck a chord, because I was almost mute for most of high school (I only really talked when answering questions people directly asked me, it was an issue and it was tied to my autism) but then I saw TRO's vid on storytime animators and wow, gave up on that. Curious if that vid is another r/thathappened vid and what her angle was. 

Posted

I really love Domics videos. The animation is really good with a great story that also has some kind of moral lesson to it. Also he just seems like a great guy.

Swoozie also does animations too kinda? It mainly just pictures tho. But I also find his stories really entertaining.

Posted

I really love Domics videos. The animation is really good with a great story that also has some kind of moral lesson to it. Also he just seems like a great guy.

Swoozie also does animations too kinda? It mainly just pictures tho. But I also find his stories really entertaining.

swoozie is fake af and he doesnt draw he just hires people

Posted

I kinda like Tabbes' voice IDK why, but it kinda irks me that she's one of those 2 3dgy 4 me kids. And a lot of her stories seem embellished, but that can be said for almost all storytime animators. 

Posted

Ahh thanks for the video's!! I'll look at them. I also saw on YT today some people have beef w/ Katzun because she scammed them or something? Gotta look deeper into it before I post any accusations tho.

Also after looking at several storychannels, am I the only one who feels like all of them have like... the same personality. Like euhm, idk how to explain it's like all of their vids are like:

"Hello everyone, I'm animator-san. Today I'm going to talk about something crazy that  happened to me when I was still in High School!! First I wanted to talk about a creepy story that happened when I was a kid, but I'll keep that for a Halloween special. Also! Thanks for 300K subs! Throughout my life people have told me that I can't make a profession out of my hobby and passion: art. Now I can do that thanks to you guys!
Anyhow, about HS. I actually was the quiet kid, that didn't have  a lot of friends. Because I'm an introvert w/ social anxiety, it's very hard for me to initiate contact with me peers.. People knew me as the silent, artsy kid, as I was often drawing in the back of the class..."
*to be continued*

Plus points if they like anime and are white or Asian.

Posted

Bonus points if they're lOuD qUIrKy AnD sO rAnDuM!!1! and have MAPs/animation memes posted long before they did story times.

The only other storytimer that I can think of who actually breaks away from this trope (and can actually animate well) is Let Me Explain Studios. Her earlier work is so fluid and even though her style has gotten much more simpler it's still funny and she doesn't pepper her stories with "I'm so shy and quiet nobody in high school liked me"

Why do storytime animators only focus on what happened to them in elementary/middle/high school? Is life that boring for them or do they have literally no interesting life stories.

Posted

Bonus points if they're lOuD qUIrKy AnD sO rAnDuM!!1! and have MAPs/animation memes posted long before they did story times.

The only other storytimer that I can think of who actually breaks away from this trope (and can actually animate well) is Let Me Explain Studios. Her earlier work is so fluid and even though her style has gotten much more simpler it's still funny and she doesn't pepper her stories with "I'm so shy and quiet nobody in high school liked me"

Why do storytime animators only focus on what happened to them in elementary/middle/high school? Is life that boring for them or do they have literally no interesting life stories.

True!!

I feel like some other channels that also get fairly close to being... more uncoventional are Daidus, The Amaazing and AmyRightMeow

Posted

True!!

I feel like some other channels that also get fairly close to being... more uncoventional are Daidus, The Amaazing and AmyRightMeow

I'd throw in Let Me Explain Studios too, she's so open and eccentric (gotta love that thespian personality lol) and Illymations. Though, some of her videos might be hard to watch if you're a sexual abuse/assault survivor.

Posted

I'd throw in Let Me Explain Studios too, she's so open and eccentric (gotta love that thespian personality lol) and Illymations. Though, some of her videos might be hard to watch if you're a sexual abuse/assault survivor.

illy seems cool and shes funny as fuck but she talks about sexual abuse a l o t and as a survivor of many years of it, i still get kinda triggered from it
and she doesnt put trigger warnings

her whole twitter she talks about it a lot and other people i follow would like her tweets so i saw them even when i unfollowed her, so i just blocked her to not see it anymore 

just wish she'd 1) not talk about it SO much (as much as spechie talks about cheating) and 2) use trigger warnings

True!!

Maaz is kinda cool, but he gives me sellout vibes

Posted

illy seems cool and shes funny as fuck but she talks about sexual abuse a l o t and as a survivor of many years of it, i still get kinda triggered from itand she doesnt put trigger warnings

her whole twitter she talks about it a lot and other people i follow would like her tweets so i saw them even when i unfollowed her, so i just blocked her to not see it anymore 

just wish she'd 1) not talk about it SO much (as much as spechie talks about cheating) and 2) use trigger warnings

Trueee. Her trauma videos and posts hit way too close to home and I can't really look at them without getting uncomfortable or slightly triggered. 

Posted

CypherDen: 

Made a video about how she was scammed out of work and her animation was used without getting paid. Due to her wonky details, everybody thought it was Jinkx Monsoon's 'Cartoons and Vodka' music video so her fans dogpiled them. Even though Jinkx's video was published long before Cypher's was, she got a LOT of hate from her rabid fans until Cypher stepped in months later to tell them they had the wrong person.

Video:

Jinkx's music video, CypherDen's comment is at the top

Also, regarding CypherDen, there's some drama saying that her storytime videos are faked, particularly the ones about her stalkers.

She has four videos about stalkers/creeps, and they're all quite...extreme, with one stalker going as far as (*Trigger Warning*) cutting her name into their arm. 

And some fans are questioning the validity of her stories, as it's hard to believe that she would have not one, not two, but four creepy people falling for her and overstepping their boundaries.

After she uploaded her fourth creep video about a grown adult man who tried to kiss her when she was 15, she posted a story on her Instagram addressing these allegations. In her story, she showed this little pink self-defense weapon thingy that she carried around on her keychain, saying something like "If these stories were faked, why would I be carrying this around??" although I'd hardly call that evidence, as she could've just bought it without the whole creepo thing happening. (Also, as I was writing this, I realized that something was a little fishy. She posted that to prove that her "old man tried to kiss me" story was real, but that incident happened when she was 15. CypherDen is currently 26. So why would buying a defense weapon at 26 years old prove that you were almost kissed by an adult man when you were 15?? That was 11 years ago. Did she not stop to think about that?)

Anyway, I'm personally not 100 percent sure what to believe. Please tell me your thoughts! :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

Also, regarding CypherDen, there's some drama saying that her storytime videos are faked, particularly the ones about her stalkers.

She has four videos about stalkers/creeps, and they're all quite...extreme, with one stalker going as far as (*Trigger Warning*) cutting her name into their arm. 

And some fans are questioning the validity of her stories, as it's hard to believe that she would have not one, not two, but four creepy people falling for her and overstepping their boundaries.

After she uploaded her fourth creep video about a grown adult man who tried to kiss her when she was 15, she posted a story on her Instagram addressing these allegations. In her story, she showed this little pink self-defense weapon thingy that she carried around on her keychain, saying something like "If these stories were faked, why would I be carrying this around??" although I'd hardly call that evidence, as she could've just bought it without the whole creepo thing happening. (Also, as I was writing this, I realized that something was a little fishy. She posted that to prove that her "old man tried to kiss me" story was real, but that incident happened when she was 15. CypherDen is currently 26. So why would buying a defense weapon at 26 years old prove that you were almost kissed by an adult man when you were 15?? That was 11 years ago. Did she not stop to think about that?)

Anyway, I'm personally not 100 percent sure what to believe. Please tell me your thoughts! :alpacaheadshake:

I mean. I'd believe it either way. Some people are just that unlucky and there are those types out there. But I'd also believe if she embleshed/misremebered something that'd be just as likely. 
And I mean. 1 creep can be enough to scar a person for life and make them question if it would ever happen again. So having a self defense thing on a keychain even after thislong isn't that weird. 

Then again I have a kitty shaped self defense thing and I never really had a huge creeper. I just have anxiety.