• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Korean Beauty Youtubers

91 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Thought I'd make a topic about native Korean beauty Youtubers in general since I haven't seen a topic like this yet and I know not many of these Youtubers have enough tea for their own thread.

Feel free to share who are your favorites, discuss any drama, who you don't like, etc.

Examples:

Yoon Charmi 

Youtube | Instagram

Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_12.06.37_AM.th
31 year old makeup, hair, and life hacks Youtuber with more than 900k subscribers. Has a more loud and comedic style to her videos.

- Released a makeup line with A'pieu
- Friends/collaborated with controversial Korean beauty Youtuber ssin (her own thread)
- Used a dark foundation to change her skin color for her Moana tutorial
Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_12.00.45_AM.th

Risabae

Youtube | Instagram

Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_12.18.13_AM.th

Started off as a BJ (broadcast jockey) on AfreecaTV and moved to Youtube gaining almost 2 million subscribers. 

- Famous for resembling K-Pop singer, Sunmi
- Becoming well-known in mainstream media showing up on Korean entertainment shows like Radio Star

A picture of her when she broadcasted on AfreecaTv
Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_12.16.04_AM.th

Jella

Youtube | Instagram

Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_12.26.30_AM.th

Gained popularity for being one of the only Korean Youtubers to embrace tan skin and be vocal about colorism in Korea.

- Collabing with Holika Holika to release darker shades of foundations.

(Side note: I appreciate how she doesn't use filters in her videos and actually shows her skin texture)

Yoo's Beauty

Youtube | Instagram

Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_2.09.45_AM.thu

Yoo Hee-Joo: Model who first got popular on Instagram then turned to Youtube. Speaks fluent Spanish from living in Colombia.
Nothing much for me to share about her but I just noticed her lips have been getting bigger these days. I always thought she was somewhat of a natural beauty (if anyone can prove me wrong that she's natural let me know because I suck at identifying cosmetic surgeries) and her lips were definitely the focal point but now I think she's going a bit overboard with the fillers 

Before:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-03_at_11.53.22_PM.th

After:
Screen_Shot_2018-10-03_at_11.48.24_PM.th

Edited by holita

Posted

Thought I'd make a topic about native Korean beauty Youtubers in general since I haven't seen a topic like this yet and I know not many of these Youtubers have enough tea for their own thread.

Feel free to share who are your favorites, discuss any drama, who you don't like, etc.

Examples:

Yoon Charmi 

Youtube | Instagram

Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_12.06.37_AM.th
31 year old makeup, hair, and life hacks Youtuber with more than 900k subscribers. Has a more loud and comedic style to her videos.

- Released a makeup line with A'pieu
- Friends/collaborated with controversial Korean beauty Youtuber ssin (her own thread)
- Used a dark foundation to change her skin color for her Moana tutorial
Screen_Shot_2018-10-04_at_12.00.45_AM.th

Hmmmmm okay. I don't speak Korean so I can't comment on most things (I don't even watch Korean beauty gurus, I only follow a few "skincare gurus") but like... Nobody has told her it was not a good thing? I know Korea is still really mono-ethnic but she has the internet doesn't she?! #smh

yoon2.thumb.jpg.0d76f4eacf584c03c1ccb1fc

Also what's up with her bf(?) and his horrible 2000 won afro wig and cosplay? I know it was supposed to be a pic taken a decade ago but like... WHY?!!

yoon.thumb.jpg.add1c11a079051f6d4413e47a

Posted

jella is cute! the only thing that bothers me is that her tan isn't natural, it's fake spray tan. I think she's doing great, talking about colorism, but I almost wish it came from somebody who has a naturally tan complexion. I think it makes their experiences more authentic and genuine as they've had to live with it their whole lives

I think she did mention being dark skinned as a kid (and being bullied for it? im unsure) and having her skin lighten up as she grew older, and deciding to tan to go back to a darker skin tone. 

While I do understand your stance, I still think it's good that she doesn't shy away from wanting to be tan though. Like I think she said smth about her parents disapproving of her doing that for instance, which goes to show how bad it can be.

I don't have much of an issue with Jella bc I'm a fan I admit lol I still think she plays on the video settings to make her skin a bit more dark sometimes but other than that I do like her

But regarding Charmi... yikes tbh lol

Posted (edited)

Also what's up with her bf(?) and his horrible 2000 won afro wig and cosplay? I know it was supposed to be a pic taken a decade ago but like... WHY?!!

yoon.thumb.jpg.add1c11a079051f6d4413e47a

i never really followed yoon charmi, but wtf that is so messy? but honestly im not even surprised considering how ignorant most asians are when it comes to racism.

as for the afro pic, i dont mean to shield them but photobooths in asia would usually provide a lot of props like wigs, headbands even coats. and they really view these afro as some 'SILLY' props and not knowing that it is problematic. 

Edited by water666

Posted

i wonder if any of you guys recognize this girl on youtube and what do you think about her? so far that i know she’s korean but fluent in english

her youtube channel is soo beauty

3CF2C928-7822-4201-8DE5-58D94AA14C7C.jpeg

Posted (edited)

anyways bunch of korean youtubers i like and may or may not be problematic:

these are the ones i can think of right now and are pretty big out there. 

Edited by water666

Posted

anyways bunch of korean youtubers i like and may or may not be problematic:

these are the ones i can think of right now and are pretty big out there. 

i love kinda cool! her vids are chill and put me in a mellow mood haha and i also like her fashion! 

woah i didnt know lena was an ilbe member.. do you have a source? i remember on pann there was a post how she was extremely rude to her friend during a video though

Posted

i love kinda cool! her vids are chill and put me in a mellow mood haha and i also like her fashion! 

woah i didnt know lena was an ilbe member.. do you have a source? i remember on pann there was a post how she was extremely rude to her friend during a video though

you can search up lena pocket beauty controversy on youtube, it’s not as detailed tho. If you can understand korean you can look up on twitter her name, there were also bunch of ss of her fat shaming girls on facebook. 

Oh if im not wrong she was on some web drama (?) thing with yoo seonho and btob jung ilhoon and she got into some controversy as well, cant remember whether it was the show that got into controversy or her. 

Posted

i wonder if any of you guys recognize this girl on youtube and what do you think about her? so far that i know she’s korean but fluent in english

her youtube channel is soo beauty

i recognize her! i watch her makeup reviews sometimes and she seems like a sweet person.

i'm a big fan of cococho https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpD0KP2b7nVLbEAydjjNaQ

- she's well known for her eyelash curling technique but her makeup skills are really nice and i don't think she's problematic

//random but even though i'm a fan of risabae i don't watch many of her videos bc her voice annoys me lol

Posted

you can search up lena pocket beauty controversy on youtube, it’s not as detailed tho. If you can understand korean you can look up on twitter her name, there were also bunch of ss of her fat shaming girls on facebook. 

Oh if im not wrong she was on some web drama (?) thing with yoo seonho and btob jung ilhoon and she got into some controversy as well, cant remember whether it was the show that got into controversy or her. 

The show flopped but didn't get into any controversies. 

1. Lena got "exposed" earlier on this year I think as an Ilbe member. This was her biggest controversy yet and she's now forced into a indefinite hiatus. When evidences came out she called commoners a lot of names that are typically used in the Ilbe community which are very sexual and misogynistic. It's been also revealed that she's friends with a famous Ilbe user, too. 

2. She had controversies before the Ilbe case such as looking down on substitute teachers/professors on her Instagram. 

3. She's also friends with Han Seohee, the infamous "feminist" who had that marijuana scandal with TOP. 

4. She made fun of Youtuber Yoon Charmi, saying she looks constipated and made degrading sexual comments about her on her Facebook. 

I don't think there are sources in English since Lena...is a Korean youtuber. 

Posted

This place dry :( anyways, did u guys see Jella's new video? Her foundation this time is way too dark. I mean I love that she embraces darker skin (yas melanin). As someone who's naturally pale but tans super easily, I usually refer to her vids when I need something to play with but this time it was too much. The look didnt turn out too great imo. The foundation was clinging on to every little bump on her skin and the eyeshadow was underwhelming. I don't know too much about makeup but maybe if she laid off the "maple" colored foundation, the colors may have popped out more instead of just laying there and looking dull. What are your opinions? Do you think it looked fine and I'm just being weird?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWbuVSD2VRo

Posted

This place dry :( anyways, did u guys see Jella's new video? Her foundation this time is way too dark. I mean I love that she embraces darker skin (yas melanin). As someone who's naturally pale but tans super easily, I usually refer to her vids when I need something to play with but this time it was too much. The look didnt turn out too great imo. The foundation was clinging on to every little bump on her skin and the eyeshadow was underwhelming. I don't know too much about makeup but maybe if she laid off the "maple" colored foundation, the colors may have popped out more instead of just laying there and looking dull. What are your opinions? Do you think it looked fine and I'm just being weird?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWbuVSD2VRo

oh that’s way too dark :/ She does lighten it with concealer after, but it’s still way too dark for her skin.

Also her skin looks really olive to me? Why does she use such warm foundation? 

I like Jella a lot and I love how she has embraced her color, but this is becoming too much...

Posted

oh that’s way too dark :/ She does lighten it with concealer after, but it’s still way too dark for her skin.

Also her skin looks really olive to me? Why does she use such warm foundation? 

I like Jella a lot and I love how she has embraced her color, but this is becoming too much...

Yeah, the foundation is definitely too warm for her skin. Sis makin herself look darker than my aunt who's half black. The concealer only makes it cakier. I love her and what she stands for but what she's doing aint it.

Posted (edited)

Sorry i can't vibe with Jella. I don't think she has any ill intentions and i don't think she means any harm but sis is making herself look darker and it makes me super uncomfortable. The fact that she's making herself darker then she actually is, it's a big no for me. Plus this isn't the first time she's done looks like this. I've seen her use the RIGHT shade before so idk why she keeps going to darker shades that aren't for her skin tone.

JELLA.png

Edited by NewNameWhoDis