• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

How to deal with redness

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Sorry if something like this has been posted before but my skin is so red ever since I got off of acutane and I feel like i can't leave the house without layering on foundation. 

I was just wondering if anybody knew some products that help reduce redness, hopefully without drying out the skin?

Posted

I'd like to find out tips on dealing with redness as well...

I remember I asked my dermatologist once and he just mentioned using a green primer, but I'd prefer to treat the problem itself. :/

One thing that helps is items with aloe in them.,

Posted

I also use a green primer but I'd much rather take care of the problem rather than hide it. Aloe is a good suggestion though, thanks!

Posted

I can't offer much in treating the problem itself but my bestie deals with redness on her face (it's been like that ever since she was a child.) She uses makeup and green color corrector concealer along with BB cream.

BB cream is like foundation but lighter in my experience and it's basically tinted moisturizer, depending on how bad it is you could easily cover it up by concealing the red with green then putting BB cream on top. That way you moisturize and sun-protect your face.

Posted

Home Remedy: How to Tone Down Red Skin

Fran E. Cook-Bolden, MD, a dermatologist and director of the Skin Specialty Group and the Ethnic Skin Specialty Group in New York City, suggests that you can manage red skin with:

• Honey
  • Cucumber
  • Chamomile tea bags (brewed)
  • Aloe vera

Another home remedy Cook-Bolden likes for soothing red skin is a clay mask. Mix water or pureed fruit with facial clay to create a thick paste. Apply the mixture to skin for 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.

Try this link: http://www.everydayhealth.com/skin-and-beauty/home-remedies-for-red-skin.aspx

I personally buy clay masks and use them a few times a week^^ A lot of face masks help for some reason.

Posted

Some products irritate the skin. So I would use ones that are very gentle and organic. Finding out your skin type is extremely important if you want to reduce redness. Teardrops can get rid of it a little. Moisturizing your skin and vitamin drops may help you.

Posted

Paula's choice has some pretty good choices for skincare and redness. They have a line specifically for it that a friend of mine swears by. I use some Paula's Choice products with great results for breakouts. I think they have sample kits you can order to make sure the products work with your skin well. Also, definitely stay hydrated! When my skin gets irritated when I over exfoliate (or one nightmarish week when my face was burnt BAD by a poorly done chemical peel) keeping up on my water intake really helped speed things along. I also used Peter Thomas Roth's cucumber mask because it feels amazing on my skin and helps soothe it, although I feel like I could use plenty of products at home to mimic the effect.

For a temporary solution, Secret Key (Korean brand) makes a lotion called "snow white' milky lotion. It's advertised at whitening, which is a bit off putting (idealization of light skin is harmful in my opinion) but I find that as opposed to lightening my skintone, it REALLY just cuts out excess redness in my face and brightens. Just make sure you rub it in evenly and wait a few minutes to see results. Like I stated, it's temporary but I always keep it on hand. It doesn't break me out and once it's absorbed it's not sticky or tacky. I would be concerned about what is causing the whitening and using it on sensitive skin- truly sticking with natural, organic products is the best way to go long term.

I threw in a photo that makes my hand look weird... but the right half has the snow white lotion on it. Left half doesn't. The lighting makes the difference look a bit more dramatic than it is, but you can still see the difference.

20160302_160749.thumb.jpeg.499a24382ffd9

Anyways, just my two sense! Hope your skin has balanced out!

Posted

Have you ever tried rubbing ice cubes on the red area? It can help sooth it and bring down swelling if there is any and reduce redness.

Posted (edited)

I actually deal with a bit of face redness. I have very dry skin so I use face washes with exfoliators to remove the flakes. This leaves redness on my cheeks and nose. Not an extreme red though just a tiny bit. This is a list of stuff that has worked for me: 

- Red Eye Drops - My friend swore by this method and I tried it. It does actually help. However I find its not an all day fix. The good thing about the drops is that they are easy to apply in public and good for smaller patches. 

Oatmeal, Cucumber, or any other type of 'HYDRATING MASK.' A good hydrating mask (in this case without exfoliators because they will make your face red after) is good to put on the morning. It will not only help soothe your skin of redness but will also hydrate it for the day as well. If I use one of these in the morning the redness of my face is pretty much gone.

- Mild Face Wash. In your case using a very mild face that is completely plain may benefit you. Your skin might be reacting to the perfume or any other added thing in the wash.

That is pretty much my routine in the morning. Usually after a mask or a cold splash of water on my face does down quite a lot. Sometimes I find if I ate a spicy burrito or something the day before my face seems more red after washing (LOL.) So maybe also look into your diet and what you are eating? 

There are lots of redness creams that you could look into as well. I would check with your doctor before using them though. 

Oh and if you are looking for a good facial primer I use Nivia primers. It is more like a creamy lotion for your skin and I've never had a problem with redness after is on! 

I assume since you are on acne medication the doctor has ruled out rosacea as a possibility. 

Hope this helps and good luck :alpacacrush:

Edited by littlewitch

Posted (edited)

One thing I've found that has helped with redness on my skin is using moisturising face masks. Even if I don't drink enough water throughout the day, slapping a hydrating mask on seems to calm my skin down. I recommend pretty much any sheet masks, but I personally get mine from Korea. I know they are super popular in Japan too!

If my skin is feeling irritated or dry (both causes of redness), I put one of these one, normally a little before I go to bed, peeling it off before I fall asleep. When I wake up in the morning, my skin is super smooth and the redness also calms down! Its awesome, I swear by these masks, lol

02-beautyriot-why-you-should-try-a-sheet

Any brand of these will do, to be honest. You can get them for cheaper than even just a dollar a mask, if you know where to buy them from! I get mine from Amazon. The awesome thing about them is that you can use them as often as you like, so if the weather is causing your skin to be temperamental, you can use these masks once or even twice a day to combat it.

Edited by Nami

Posted

Hi, I know that this post is quite old but I suffer from redness too. It's mainly redness from acne scarring, which doesn't look too bad anymore but I do occasionally get allergies and my skin will flare-up and become extra bumpy, red and sensitive :( 

I’ve found a few things which help to calm down the redness and sensitivity, these methods have really helped me over the years. I hope you find them useful too! 

1. Green tea - I use products with green tea in them, they help to calm down sensitivity and redness as well. Anything from Innisfree’s Green Tea line is great! I have redness mainly on my cheeks so sometimes I will soak cotton pads in green tea and then place them on my red cheeks, sort of like a mask. It has a great calming effect and acts as a toner too ^^

2. Aloe vera gel - This is one of my favourite methods for calming down redness. It's really soothing for the skin. Sometimes skin can appear more “red” because of heat and aloe vera gel can help lower your skin's temperature. It's especially good for sunburn and has been proven more effective with lowering skin temperature compared to toners and skin mists. 

3. Sheet masks - It's been mentioned by previous posters that sheet masks are generally good to use to calm down redness. One particular sheet mask I found extremely helpful was the soothing herbal one from Too Cool For School. I suffer from redness after long plane journeys as well and this is the only mask I've tried which really helps calm everything down. 

Those are the three main things I do to help calm down redness. It's been a struggle of mine for years and I know it's hard to keep the redness at bay and from flaring up. I hope this helps, best of luck to you ^-^