• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

MaiMagi

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Mai Magi, an instagram alt model/artist/designer.

Popularised a version of mori kei and called is strega fashion. Models mostly small indie brands on her own insta and is very strongly willed on sustainable clothing and thrifting.

Recently opened a shop selling handmade sustainable accessories (scarves, headbands and belts) mainly created by braiding fabric scraps for between $20 - $60

Instagram

Shop

YouTube

Other links

Now where I hold issue. She constantly preaches about sustainable clothing whilst being sent upwards of $300 clothing and accessories for free and advertising it then opens a shop selling literally a simple braided fabric belt made from scraps she likely got for free or at least heavily discounted for $40 knowing full well her fans with eat it up.

Basically she wants to live sustainably whilst not actually funding her own lifestyle because as she has said her photos in in the products are her payment.

Posted

Personally I don't have a problem with maimagi. I've been following her for a while now for her fashion. If fans wants to spend 40 dollars on a belt she made, it's their choice. Personally I don't find it worth 40 dollars, but I can understand where she is coming from. If she spent like 2 hours on a belt, that is 20 dollar per hour. My boyfriend is a graphic designer and his rate is almost 40 euros an hour. That includes time, materials etc. But I don't know how she rates her belts. 

Posted (edited)

I'm into sustainability and thrifting as well, it's always nice to find people who seem to think alike. I've been following her for a long time now and I often get some kind of "fake vibes" from her. For example the thing about being sponsored (like all the time) that was already mentioned by @Vivi.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for creatives charging their work at an higher rate to make a living but meh, I just don't get the appeal of buying something for 40$ if I can make it at home for 0-5$. 

Also I think it's odd how she only posts about her "oh-so-witchy-goth-friends" and we rarely get to see anyone else. For me it seems like her other friends aren't "special" oder "pretty" enough to be featured on her instagram. (Conspiracy theory incoming: Or does she have no other friends because they're not "looking edgy enough"?) 9_9

What also irks me is that since she launched her patreon, she's constantly asking for money. I've checked her patreon once and she really has the most trivial posts for supporters. Who in their right mind would pay 5+$ to get to know how she stores and organises her clothes? 

(Also I think her artwork is far below average, mediocre at its best and the commissions are hella overpriced as well. But that, like beauty, belongs to the eye of the beholder.)

My response might be irrelevant, because it's just about my personal feelings but I just wanted to add it anyways. :Alpacaconfused:

Edited by bambithehooker

Posted

Her and her bestie Psychara get on my nerves. They both sound vapid and unintelligent, even if they're creative (Psychara more so than Mai) Not to mention their digging their heels in and screeching when they were told they can't wear dreads as white people. Psychara even tried to rename hers "tentacle hair" or something. Didn't catch on.

Posted

Update for those who aren't keeping up with the drama:

Maimagi and Psychara aren't besties anymore. Apparently Psychara wanted to pull a major relocation stunt to Germany like ItsBlackFriday but told people that unless there's a detached house for her she ain't going. She made herself sound entitled as fuck, who the hell can afford a home in a big city from the get-go?

Anyway, some months later Maimagi inherited some money and bought a house, which kinda ticked Psychara off among other things.

Maimagi is besties with Manicmoth now. Both seem to bitch about Psychara behind her back but nobody wants to sever ties since they fear the fall out on social media.

It's very entertaining to watch to say at least. 

Posted

Update for those who aren't keeping up with the drama:

Maimagi and Psychara aren't besties anymore. Apparently Psychara wanted to pull a major relocation stunt to Germany like ItsBlackFriday but told people that unless there's a detached house for her she ain't going. She made herself sound entitled as fuck, who the hell can afford a home in a big city from the get-go?

Anyway, some months later Maimagi inherited some money and bought a house, which kinda ticked Psychara off among other things.

Maimagi is besties with Manicmoth now. Both seem to bitch about Psychara behind her back but nobody wants to sever ties since they fear the fall out on social media.

It's very entertaining to watch to say at least. 

OMFG really?? After all the "witch sisters forever matching tattoos gonna go live together in a forest"? Do you have any direct links or screenshots because lmao I wanna see

Posted

i believe psychara wanted to move to germany to live in a small house in a forest and because germany is aparently way cheaper than holland but she recently said in a livestream on instagram that she didnt wanna do that anymore because she has friends and family in holland and her sibling got a baby or something which i guess is a good excuse to not move country idk. she did completely ignore me when I asked about mai maggi lol so I have no idea what happened but she covered that tattoo they both have so shit must be real bad. Ive read on psycharas social media that she lost good friends because of her depression (im not gonna bitch about mental issues here) so maybe thats what happened and not the house thing. they do seem to bitch about psychara behind her back ahaha i feel bad for her but i hate her hair too.

these are the only screenshots i have you can see the cover up here

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-09 at 14.13.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-09 at 14.13.44.jpeg

Schermafbeelding 2019-04-15 om 10.35.42.png

Posted

I looked at her Instagram. I looks like she also deleted a bunch of pictures with mai. Mai posted a few pictures with manicmoth the last few weeks. 

Posted

I love it when those obvious fake friendships go bad. They were so in-your-face-we're-so-cool-and-witchy-matching-tattoos-alternative-photoshoots-can't-touch-this besties (those lines on their forearms are also matching- I suspected something was going bad between them back when Mai changed the lines way too quickly after they got them tattooed, like, why didn't you "personalize" (that was her excuse) them from the beginning?) Those kinds of show-off relationships, be it friendships or romantic ones, are almost never real. They're overcompensating because they're trying to convince themselves most of all.

Psychara and Mai 's relationship was most probably one of convenience because their fanbases loved them together or something. Getting matching tattoos was just the icing on the cake (and a cautionary tale)

Posted

she did completely ignore me when I asked about mai maggi lol so I have no idea what happened but she covered that tattoo they both have so shit must be real bad. 

Not just you, a bunch of people were asking all three of them repeatedly what the whole story is about and they all refuse to answer. Must be very bad blood behind the scene.

I don't feel sorry for anyone though. Psychara stole her nape tattoo from another tattoo artist without crediting him. When followers confronted her on Instagram, her mother rushed to her defense (not the first or only time), it was cringeworthy.

The other two are rather stocky in reality and nowhere as willowy as they want people to believe. Rumor has it that Manicmoth is quite jealous of Psychara because she once had ED but never became that thin like that ana-chan wannabe. Maimagi has a hysterical fake laugh that is annoyingly loud and obviously put on. And all her begging for money though she's well off...ugh.

Everyone sounds horrible to me. 

Posted

i wouldnt say that i love it lol, ive been following them both for a long time now. I believe psychara already had a lot of followers so maybe mai magi used psychara to become big and then threw her out hahaha. but i see psycharas non famous friends in her insta stories and mai only with manicmoth, so maybe @bambithehooker their theory was true. but maybe im biased because I feel bad for psychara because i've lost friends because of depression too :(

I looked up that tattoo thing tho and psychara has a video about it. the wrist one was apperently mais idea and the lines were suposed to be arrows but the design was too big for psycharas arm lmao. but mai magi did get the arrows or something idk its kinda vague. I was curious after you mentioned it. heres the video https://youtu.be/EJ6YXMlGiLg?t=661

Posted

i wouldnt say that i love it lol, ive been following them both for a long time now. I believe psychara already had a lot of followers so maybe mai magi used psychara to become big and then threw her out hahaha. but i see psycharas non famous friends in her insta stories and mai only with manicmoth, so maybe @bambithehooker their theory was true. but maybe im biased because I feel bad for psychara because i've lost friends because of depression too :(

I looked up that tattoo thing tho and psychara has a video about it. the wrist one was apperently mais idea and the lines were suposed to be arrows but the design was too big for psycharas arm lmao. but mai magi did get the arrows or something idk its kinda vague. I was curious after you mentioned it. heres the video https://youtu.be/EJ6YXMlGiLg?t=661

Did you mean to quote me? 

I'm 90% sure that Mai used Psychara for the followers, I didn't even know her before she got mentioned by Psychara (back when she did "post apocalyptic scavenger looks" or whatever else she called them). I'm loving their fallout because I don't particularly like either of them lmao, Mai is always either showing off what she has or selling overpriced items to her diehard fanbase while being incredibly defensive whenever anyone criticizes her, and Psychara has the maturity of a 12 year old despite being 26.

Case in point: the arrows tattoo thing is pure bullshit imo. "My arm is too tiny for the arrows"? It's true that tiny line tattoos become smudgy and blown out after a few years (there's a reason while the "American traditional" ones, with the blocks of colour and thick outlines, are probably the best style to get), but what is also true is that tattoos can and will get adjusted for size depending on the person. I have NO idea what she's on about, she's making it sound like there was a single size for the tattoo for both her and Mai like it was one of those machine printed ones that you get with chips, and that the arrows would be super small on her arm when everyone can see that the extra details would fit fine? There's plenty of space in the gaps?

psych.thumb.png.17f81de4efeaca659d5e8337

Not to mention the obvious flaw in her logic: she got the deer skull tattoo on her chest just fine, and the antlers have a ridiculous amount of detail and fine lines, wasn't she worried about those? Sounds to me like she just didn't want to get the arrows (maybe she just doesn't like arrows, there's no problem with that), but still wanted to get that matching tattoo, so we've ended up with this. I wonder how she feels about it now, after the falling out.

Posted

Did you mean to quote me? 

yes sorry. that tattoo thing does sound very weird maybe she didnt like the arrows but didnt dare to say. if you look at the rest of her tattoos the very straight lines of the arrows dont fit anyway so she probably hates it now lol. I wonder how psychara is gonna cover that one up 

Posted

A thread on Mai?! I followed her so closely like 5 years back. I'm not surprised that friendship ended poorly honestly . But definitely news to me!