• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Venus Angelics Videos

4953 posts in this topic

Posted

Isn't it a "kinky" "What do you think you're doing" kind of thing? You know like when the guy blocks the girl's way and stomps his fist against the wall? It's considered sexy and I saw it in a lot of shôjo manga. And since they're role playing a girl and her senpai, I understood it that way. Especially since her took her chin in his hand. It's supposed to be romantic and sexy.

I also see it that way. The do-S senpai kink with the kabedon (banging fist against the wall thing, not sure if it has an English term) and stuff are popular in shojo manga so I suppose Manaki is just roleplaying that kind of character.

Posted

I also see it that way. The do-S senpai kink with the kabedon (banging fist against the wall thing, not sure if it has an English term) and stuff are popular in shojo manga so I suppose Manaki is just roleplaying that kind of character.

Banging = Aggression. I went thru google searching for some examples and in all of them the girl is either pissed of at the guy or scared of him. Not sure how it is romantic or sexy to have a guy bang his fist on the wall next to you and then tell you "what the hell are you doing?". I would actually question the relationship A LOT! It would be red flags for me. Romance does not equal any sort of violence or intimidation, please don't think that a guy punching the wall next to where YOU ARE and then questioning your actions is in anyway romantic.

1.thumb.jpg.815a44945256650d1fa1b525aad820150211_seoulbeats_fashionking.thumb.jpXMASQXkvio5JmhjyPbGp.thumb.jpg.10492994c

On a side note, grabbing someone from the chin can also be a gesture to express dominance over another person or superiority, given that it is a weak spot. This is true in real life, and it also happens on shoujo manga when the guy is being mean towards the girl.

Boss3avi_000137404.thumb.jpg.7cff1c8e1ectumblr_m7bmr5bctH1r0o4ag.thumb.jpg.155e6

There are also some websites and signs that are in Japanese and seem to also try and break this "grabbing=romance" association that has given way to a lot of issues in the Japanese culture (rape, violence towards women, objectification of the female body, etc.)

rechazar-un-kabe-don.thumb.png.ed6efed84

Posted (edited)

For anyone wondering, it's these cookies they are eating: Tsundere Cookies.

I did some quick research, and it might be because of my half-assed attempt but I could never find any specifics on what could be in the spicy cookies - except that they are spicy as hell.

1426251_10151852994678212_925157648_n_zp

Edited by boopa

Posted

Manaki wasn't being aggressive though, he was trying to be comedic, and Venus didn't look one bit uncomfortable.. they probably planned it out like that anyway.  Although the video did seem awkward I don't think it should be over analyzed and we should just take it as it is.

Posted (edited)

Isn't it a "kinky" "What do you think you're doing" kind of thing? You know like when the guy blocks the girl's way and stomps his fist against the wall? It's considered sexy and I saw it in a lot of shôjo manga. And since they're role playing a girl and her senpai, I understood it that way. Especially since her took her chin in his hand. It's supposed to be romantic and sexy.

Banging = Aggression. I went thru google searching for some examples and in all of them the girl is either pissed of at the guy or scared of him. Not sure how it is romantic or sexy to have a guy bang his fist on the wall next to you and then tell you "what the hell are you doing?". I would actually question the relationship A LOT! It would be red flags for me. Romance does not equal any sort of violence or intimidation, please don't think that a guy punching the wall next to where YOU ARE and then questioning your actions is in anyway romantic.

Hidden Content

On a side note, grabbing someone from the chin can also be a gesture to express dominance over another person or superiority, given that it is a weak spot. This is true in real life, and it also happens on shoujo manga when the guy is being mean towards the girl.

Hidden Content

There are also some websites and signs that are in Japanese and seem to also try and break this "grabbing=romance" association that has given way to a lot of issues in the Japanese culture (rape, violence towards women, objectification of the female body, etc.)

Hidden Content

You have your concepts wrong. Kabe-don (is the concept for when the guy has a girl against a wall) is not kinky. It's romance cliche, something very (veeeeeeeery) different from kinky, since kinky refers to unconventional sex practices. Getting turned on by pain, for example, is kinky. 

Kabe-don is not, in any way, violent or intimidating. Is considered ro-man-tic in shojo manga because in the context of the situation, the girl is attracted to the guy but for a, b or c motive refuses to get her feelings straight and be honest and prefers to run away to avoid confessing. 

here you have a vid of oguri shun (dorama actor) doing the kabe-don thing to the feminine Japanese volleyball team and whispering words of encouragement because they asked for it (do they look scared uhu?)

@Jellyfish seriously? i'm assuming you haven't read ao haru ride and no.6 because those scenes are not violent ?? and they are not promoting rape culture (!!!) in any way. (lmao nezumi asserting his domination over shion ????????????)

Y'all need to stop looking to much into it. They were just doing cosplay, and acting a bit. 

Edited by bianca8

Posted

Kabe-don is not, in any way, violent or intimidating. Is considered ro-man-tic in shojo manga because in the context of the situation, the girl is attracted to the guy but for a, b or c motive refuses to get her feelings straight and be honest and prefers to run away to avoid confessing. 

here you have a vid of oguri shun (dorama actor) doing the kabe-don thing to the feminine Japanese volleyball team and whispering words of encouragement because they asked for it (do they look scared uhu?)

Hidden Content

@Jellyfish seriously? i'm assuming you haven't read ao haru ride and no.6 because those scenes are not violent ?? and they are not promoting rape culture (!!!) in any way. (lmao nezumi asserting his domination over shion ????????????)

I haven't read the mangas you suggested, so I am not aware of how these scenes develop. I distinguish three types of kabe-don: (1) guy approaches girl and just stares silently or says something like "baka".; (2) guy approaches girl and says something romantic or motivational (like I presumed happened in the video -don't know Japanese); (3) guy approaches girl usually mad or angry and yells at her or tells her to "back off" or "stop being so annoying" etc.

Given that Manaki said "What the HELL are you doing?" I considered it to be number 3. And yes, normalizing these type of behavior can lead to big social problems.

In any case, if Manaki did said everything joking...why does Venus look so sad at the end of her video?

weird5.thumb.jpg.2b50543049be3bda6a52bbb

But, okay, I'll drop it even though I don't think we should allow ourselves to do that. We never backed off from Margo despite Venus saying how much she loved her. Why should me immediately trust Manaki just because he helped her run away? 

Posted

I don't think it was him being aggressive or abusive! She translated it as "what the HELL are you doing?" but directly translated all he said is "what are you doing?" and he used "omae" which is not a super polite way of saying "you". Really, thinking this is aggressive or abusive is looking far too much into the situation. Couples joke around with each other, and that's what I think this was. They seem to be more comfortable with each other as well. If we're gonna over analyze stuff, then Venus ordering Manaki to get her some milk earlier in the video was controlling. :alpacawink:

Posted (edited)

We never backed off from Margo because it was obvious from miles away that something was wrong with that woman, and saw how it developed with time. We have been on her case since loooong before Margogate happened.

Overanalysing a short video with manaki that was just them fooling around and pandering to the weaboo crowd doesn't lead anywhere. I honestly don't think Venus looks sad in the end, it looks more like she was just ready to wrap up the video and get it over with. Just because you enjoy making videos it doesn't have to mean it's as fun when you HAVE to make them on a strict schedule.

So far we have only seen dependable parts of Manaki from leaked messages and such, we could of course keep an eye open but so far I think analysing everything is quite a bit of a stretch and looking for drama where there is none. 

Edited by boopa

Posted

I haven't read the mangas you suggested, so I am not aware of how these scenes develop. I distinguish three types of kabe-don: (1) guy approaches girl and just stares silently or says something like "baka".; (2) guy approaches girl and says something romantic or motivational (like I presumed happened in the video -don't know Japanese); (3) guy approaches girl usually mad or angry and yells at her or tells her to "back off" or "stop being so annoying" etc.

Given that Manaki said "What the HELL are you doing?" I considered it to be number 3. And yes, normalizing these type of behavior can lead to big social problems.

In any case, if Manaki did said everything joking...why does Venus look so sad at the end of her video?

weird5.thumb.jpg.2b50543049be3bda6a52bbb

But, okay, I'll drop it even though I don't think we should allow ourselves to do that. We never backed off from Margo despite Venus saying how much she loved her. Why should me immediately trust Manaki just because he helped her run away? 

, but i'

I had to rewatch the video because at first I didn't understand what everybody was talking about, but I still don't get it, like are you seriously saying that manaki verbally abused Venus in the video because he said "what the hell are you doing" to her while grabbing her chin and then venus got sad because her husband is abusive towards her????????????????????????????????????????? nobody is saying that manaki is a saint, just that you are making up a whole new drama just based in what you assume. This just like the time she posted the pic of the english app manaki has and everybody lost their shit.

btw, i have read plenty of shoujo manga and I have never saw anything like (3). Really, never. 

Posted

This just like the time she posted the pic of the english app manaki has and everybody lost their shit.

I REMEMBER THIS. The amount of people that thought Manaki actually forced Venus to wear a swimsuit around the house was ridiculous.

Also, if what he said was really in anger and not playing around... I doubt Venus would have included it in the video, let alone made it the thumbnail- It's pretty obvious that they both understand it was a comedic, flirty moment.

Posted

I watched the video yesterday and thought "Oh, that was actually really cute! They did seem to enjoy themselves and having some fun!" And now I'm on here, reading that Manaki seemed aggressive and Venus looked sad, so I rewatched it. I don't see ANY sadness, anger, abuse or whatever was said on here. Manaki's "anger" moments (if I can call it like that, because it's very hard for me to see any anger) were just him being playful with Venus. Yeah, there were some awkward moments, but I do believe it's just because Manaki is camera shy and there are some sort of cultural differences.
I think we shouldn't overanalyze a video about spicy cookies, especially when there is not much to analyze.

And to be honest, I thought the video to be super duper cute. :alpacacrush:

Posted

My partner and I speak like that to each other all time, and it's known we're just joke-angry with each other. I'm going to say it was a translation error, because she doesn't look upset at all??? That one tiny frame of a sad face isn't really an indication of her "being sad" at all.
Tbh, I enjoyed the video and genuinely laughed a few times, so that was pretty good.

Posted

Agreed, it's called teasing. They were teasing each other the whole video, and teasing each other lightheartedly like that is a good sign. 
Minus mana's camera shy-ness they were super cute and clearly comfortable with each other. She did not look tense or on edge, or anything.....

Posted

I know a lot of what I'm going to say has already been mentioned by somebody else, but I'm just going to summarise my points (plus my 2 cents... or maybe 5) because they keep getting misinterpreted. :/

• The do-S senpai thing is a manga stereotype (kind of like tsundere, yandere, etc), and these characters do display some sort of dominance / aggression. It's considered romantic in shojo manga. And kabedon means "bang against the wall" (kabe = wall, don = bang). That's all there is to it.
  • Like I mentioned before, Manaki didn't say "What the hell are you doing?" but actually just "What are you doing?" I think Venus included the "hell" bit in there to make it fit more into the do-S stereotype. Or maybe it was simply a mistranslation. Who knows.
  • I remember you mentioned something about Manaki looking annoyed in the "I have to go to work tomorrow" part. I had to watch the video again to check, but I still don't see anger or annoyance. He's actually saying something like, "But I still have to go to work tomorrow..."

Honestly, all I see from the video is Venus and Manaki fooling around and having fun (albeit still looking a bit awkward) in front of the camera. I don't see any sadness on Venus' part nor anger on Manaki's part. Also, remember that neither Venus nor Manaki is particularly well-versed in English so some things may get lost in translation.

Personally, I don't think Manaki is a saint, but somehow I get the impression that you're trying too hard to catch proofs / hints that Manaki abuses Venus and thus tend to read too much into things when there's really nothing to analyse about (I sincerely apologise if it's not your intention, but it does come off that way to me at least).

That's my whole dollar and I'mma shut up now before this post turns into a novel. :P