• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Venus Angelics Videos

4989 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry double post x.x

Edited by Kiko

Posted (edited)

Pet shop employees recommend it because it's easy to sell. Same for goldfish bowls. Small, cheap. But no way suitable..

I understand it can be confusing when each country have different minimum sizes. For dwarf hamsters here in Norway it's 60x40cm, and as high as necessary for it to not escape. Which is smaller than what eevee says :P
If she's confused she can check up and find some average size between the recommended sizes, maybe that would help. They're probably not all too different. But I'm sure none is near 30x45.

She could always go to IKEA and get the 130L Samla plastic container, which is just under eevee's numbers. The breeders here swear by it. Cheap and good size! In a pinch, since she's so "out of space", she could also get the 45/65L one, even though it's just under the (Norwegian) recommendation (same "floor" size, just one is higher than the other)

Edited by ZhouRin

Posted (edited)

At first she said she was planning to get a slightly bigger one (which would still be too small but oh well) 

1v.thumb.png.7f1bafdd2d953f541f642f2f0a4

but it seems like she changed her mind because she doesn't know what to believe anymore

3v.thumb.png.9430007f0cf9e48c4d66abd3ce6

2v.thumb.png.30c0a6657ddeffe32c1ea3c7752

v4.thumb.png.1031a578b47117f624cb4431e92

To be fair, I don't think a 1m2 cage is necessary. My cage was 80cm x 45cm x 45cm. The recommended minimum cage size for dwarf hamsters is 80 x 50 x 40 I think.

Also I didn't read it the first time but a cage for 2 or more hamsters?! You should never keep multiple hamsters in the same cage :/ Where is she getting her information from?

She doesn't say anywhere that she won't get a new cage. She's simply explaining how things are in Japan, what her options are and what people are telling her online vs. on shop. People are really blowing this out of portion. I understand everyone's concern (I'm too) but give her a chance to improve things first before judging. Let's say two weeks from now if she still hasn't got a new cage (as sometimes things get time when ordering online or finding the best solution) and really says "Fuck it I won't do it!" then judge her as an animal abuser. But right now let it go.

edit: also the second post seems to me more like she's trying to stand up for herself for people's accusations of her not researching or just being plain cruel by buying a small cage. 

Edited by rieaku

Posted

It's a shame that there were people being rude and blowing things out of proportion rather than offering useful advice. 

As for the two hamsters one cage thing, it's a common thing recommended for dwarf hamsters. I learnt the hard way that they don't actually get along. Some advice that pet shops give is awful and I don't think that's Venus's fault. I'm glad she's getting a bigger cage anyway but I'm sad that she's been put off sharing a happy thing with her audience. 

Screenshot_20170717-074921.png

Posted

It's a shame that there were people being rude and blowing things out of proportion rather than offering useful advice. 

As for the two hamsters one cage thing, it's a common thing recommended for dwarf hamsters. I learnt the hard way that they don't actually get along. Some advice that pet shops give is awful and I don't think that's Venus's fault. I'm glad she's getting a bigger cage anyway but I'm sad that she's been put off sharing a happy thing with her audience. 

Looks like I misinterpreted her posts. To me it seemed like she was trying to make up excuses as to why she couldn't get an appropriately sized cage but I guess she was responding to the people who were recommending cages suitable for slightly bigger animals (1,2m sounds great for a syrian hamster).

It sucks that some people were being nasty about it but I'm glad she's getting a new cage! 

Posted

It's nice that shge's planning to get a bigger cage but I don't like how defensive and slightly passive aggressive she's getting in her IG posts. 

Like she said "but my audience is from different countries so they don't understand why things are done differently" and I know what she means but it sounds like she wants her viewers to finally shut up because "they don't understand" anyway.

Also that post about her no longer exposing her hamster to the internet so everyone will be like "Oh nooo Venus please PLEASE share him with us and don't listen to the haters! :'(". She won't stick to not posting Yomogi anyway, I guarantee it. -_-

The current cage is waaay too small, that's a fact, and making excuses (like "that's just how cages are in Japan!") isn't going to change that fact. She should've done more research before getting a pet. :/

Posted

P.S. I finally watched the hamster video and I must say the gun jokes and just 'jokes' in general at the beginning were so not funny. I'd rather she just explained like an adult tbh. 

Posted

I feel like too many people jump on too small cages too quick. Legitimately i have kept a gerbil in a wire cage that was probably too small ( we had an outside exposure around the tank for more exploring) and this one lived for many many years. I also had a beta in a large goldfish bowl and had lived longer than any tank fish we had ever.

In my opinon the hamster cage could be a bit bigger but wow people jump down throats to extreme it's her first pet on her own it's not like that small ass cage will kill it instantly. She will learn as she goes.

Posted

Could you stop whining about the hamster, please? There are people coming here for updates on Venus. Make a hamster thread in offtopic, if you like.

Posted

If she needs a bigger cage why doesn't she get a cage with multiple floors? It won't take up as much space in the apartment but it still gives the hamster the space for it to run around. I know it doesn't like it but hamsters like that usually are active at night and they will move around for hours (I used to not be able to sleep because mine was so active on a night haha!) I think that would be the best kind of cage to have plus she can always get the hamster a wheel and get him to travel around the apartment in it on an evening.

Posted

Did hanging out with Saltay turn Venus into Saltenus or something? Passive-aggressiveness now affects not only jvloggers but other youtubers as well, it's an epidemic you guyzz:melting: 

Posted (edited)

I feel like too many people jump on too small cages too quick. Legitimately i have kept a gerbil in a wire cage that was probably too small ( we had an outside exposure around the tank for more exploring) and this one lived for many many years. I also had a beta in a large goldfish bowl and had lived longer than any tank fish we had ever.

In my opinon the hamster cage could be a bit bigger but wow people jump down throats to extreme it's her first pet on her own it's not like that small ass cage will kill it instantly. She will learn as she goes.

Just because x can live in unsuitable conditions it doesn't make conditions good or acceptable.

Edited by Memechan

Posted

I agree she's being passive aggressive (which isn't a great look) but at the same time I feel a little sorry for her. I think the hamster is the first thing she's been really excited about in a while and well... people found fault, became aggressive, made accusations etc. I'd be a little passive aggressive and defensive too if people couldn't just explain to me what was wrong and started attacking me. Then again, I hope she sorts the problem out and gives the hamster a suitable home.

Posted

Give her some time to learn and adjust, it isn't going to kill the hamster if it spends a few months in a smaller cage while she tries to sort thru somethings. Nobody is perfect and there are going to be mistakes made. 

Fun facts: These hamsters typically live ~2 years. Few months is long time. Amazon has plenty of cage options.