• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

People pretending to be Slavic/Eastern European Thread

102 posts in this topic

Posted

people are slavaboos now? never thought the day would come that my race/descent would become trendy.

Posted

i was really surprised that slavaboos were a thing because i grew up strongly hating my russian heritage. People were always surprised that I 
"didn't look russian" because both of my parents are mixed central asian and i don't have the blonde hair blue eyes everyone thinks russians have.

Posted

slavaboo.thumb.jpg.98c9534437372ce14dd82

Well...it's actually true! Back in the 50s when I was entertaining the troops, any time we met a civilian who loved Russian culture and language and spoke with a fake Russian accent then we just called him a Commie because that was the thing then. My how times have changed!

Posted (edited)

I'm really surprised that most people think the standard appearance for Slavic people is blonde hair and blue eyes. It's like, I'm pretty sure that's more what the average Northern European looks like? Although there definitely is variety among Slavic people's features, if someone was to ask me what the average Slavic person looks like, I'd say like Mila Kunis or Evgenia Medvedeva, usually dark hair, sometimes dark eyes, and like olive undertones. There seems to be way more dominant traits than Northern Europeans anyways. I just really don't understand where the imagine of Slavic people, women especially, came from being portrayed as looking no different than any other generic blonde white person with no distinguishable features. (It's like news flash: we have our own ethnicity lol) Especially considering Slavic nations are like the bridge between Western Europe and Western Asia/Middle East, you'd think people would be aware of the geography.

Edited by disappointedwitch

Posted

I'm really surprised that most people think the standard appearance for Slavic people is blonde hair and blue eyes. It's like, I'm pretty sure that's more what the average Northern European looks like? Although there definitely is variety among Slavic people's features, if someone was to ask me what the average Slavic person looks like, I'd say like Mila Kunis or Evgenia Medvedeva, usually dark hair, sometimes dark eyes, and like olive undertones. There seems to be way more dominant traits than Northern Europeans anyways. I just really don't understand where the imagine of Slavic people, women especially, came from being portrayed as looking no different than any other generic blonde white person with no distinguishable features. (It's like news flash: we have our own ethnicity lol) Especially considering Slavic nations are like the bridge between Western Europe and Western Asia/Middle East, you'd think people would be aware of the geography.

I completely agree with this.  I grew up in an Eastern European country and have mixed european and asian ancestry.  People never even know I am Eastern European unless they hear me talk and hear the accent.  To be honest, most of the people I've seen growing up are darker.  I would even go as far as to say I've seen more guys with blonde hair and blue eyes than I've seen women.  And a lot of the people aren't even that pale, and as you said have more yellow/olive undertones.  It's just weird at this point when people think that Eastern European people MUST have blonde hair and blue eyes.  And this happens mostly to people that have never been to this region before.

Posted

I think you’re mixing two things. One is how people in Eastern Europe look today and one about the phenotype of historical Slavs. (More “pure” type when it was hard to travel and mix genes). 

https://historum.com/threads/physical-appearance-of-early-medieval-slavic-people.70493/

Here you have an interesting translation of the essay published by one of the European universities (in Poland) where you have lots of historical quotes of travelers stating that Slavic people were light skinned, with rather straight and really light hair and these with darker eyes and complexion live near the Mediterranean Sea or are from Romania. I think that the citizens of Mediterranean area are now considered by anthropologists as a different type connected more with Orient/Hindi origins. 

Why Slavs have darker eyes and hairs now? Well, because light ones are supported by recessive genes, so it is decreasing by the law of nature.

Posted

Wearing Adidas tracksuits is cultural appropriation and is deeply offensive to us slavs. 

On a serious note, its cringy. Most slavaboos do a ridiculous hard russian accent. And most slavaboos should just call themselves russiaboos, since thats what they think slavs means. 

Slavic is just a language group anyway. 

Posted

I think you’re mixing two things. One is how people in Eastern Europe look today and one about the phenotype of historical Slavs. (More “pure” type when it was hard to travel and mix genes). 

https://historum.com/threads/physical-appearance-of-early-medieval-slavic-people.70493/

Here you have an interesting translation of the essay published by one of the European universities (in Poland) where you have lots of historical quotes of travelers stating that Slavic people were light skinned, with rather straight and really light hair and these with darker eyes and complexion live near the Mediterranean Sea or are from Romania. I think that the citizens of Mediterranean area are now considered by anthropologists as a different type connected more with Orient/Hindi origins. 

Why Slavs have darker eyes and hairs now? Well, because light ones are supported by recessive genes, so it is decreasing by the law of nature.

That's interesting, I'll check out the link. That would make sense as well, there being more homogeneous societies back then compared to now.

I remember reading once, although I don't know how accurate it is, that some people think that because of the Ottoman Empire invasion from the Mongolians, they think that is why some Slavic people have slightly Asian types features. (and apparently according to Hitler/nazi beliefs, Slavic people having an "asiatic steppe" that nazis saw them as not European enough ?? mmk racist much) I don't know if that is actually true or not, whether Slavic people are actually part ethnically Mongolian, just something that maybe could also explain a change of features if that is the case.

Posted

That's interesting, I'll check out the link. That would make sense as well, there being more homogeneous societies back then compared to now.

I remember reading once, although I don't know how accurate it is, that some people think that because of the Ottoman Empire invasion from the Mongolians, they think that is why some Slavic people have slightly Asian types features. (and apparently according to Hitler/nazi beliefs, Slavic people having an "asiatic steppe" that nazis saw them as not European enough ?? mmk racist much) I don't know if that is actually true or not, whether Slavic people are actually part ethnically Mongolian, just something that maybe could also explain a change of features if that is the case.

my grandma is mixed mongolian, its very possible for slavic people to be mixed mongolian because of the invasion that happened a while ago.

Posted (edited)

Just popping in to address a few things here (and a bit of historical info for curious nerdy readers):

So firstly, the Mongolian Empire invasions and the Ottoman Empire invasions are from two completely different historical groups that almost never interacted with one another. The Ottoman Empire covered the region of Turkey, the Balkans, the Levant and a few coastal regions; meanwhile, the 'Mongolians' were not exactly one group, but multiple groups of united Central Asian and Northern Asian nomads that moved westward along the Eurasian steppe.

There is a lot involved in the invasions, but more specifically I'll address their influence on Eastern Europe, which includes the nations of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Romania, Hungary, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia, Slovakia, Bulgaria - basically the Slavs. The Mongol invasions of Europe were done from the early 13th century for a period of about 100-200 years with minor unsuccessful raids in the later centuries. Those 100-200 years involved in admixing with the native populations of Eastern Europe, and to this day, it is still embedded into these people's cultural, national, lingual and heritage history. 

In terms of genetics and appearances: yes, some, but not all these people from Eastern Europe have very small amounts of admixture from the time of the Mongols. There is a website called Eupedia that has graphs to illustrate admixture of people in the continent. Here is their graph on East Asian admixture:

Screenshot_38.thumb.png.b5018af3a26b5365

Their description for this graph: "The East Asian admixture combines Northeast Asia and Southeast Asia. This admixture was brought to Europe by Mongoloid people via Siberia. Some of it was already present in Russia during the Mesolithic period, but the largest East Asian migration to Europe took place with the arrival of Proto-Uralic people during the Neolithic. They originated in Manchuria and carried Y-haplogroup N1c. North Siberian Y-haplogroup Q1a (which is also the main paternal lineage of Amerindians) was also found in the Proto-Indo-European Khvalynsk culture in the Pontic-Caspian Steppe, the precursor of the Yamna culture. Since then, 5000 years of migrations from the Steppe brought wave upon wave of Siberian invaders to Eastern Europe and the northern Middle East. The most recent of them were the most Mongoloid as populations shifted from east to west. They included the Huns, the Bulgars, the Magyars, the Turks and the Mongols."

However, it is important to recognize that stereotypical Asiatic features, such as high cheek bones, slanted eyes, epicanthic folds, etc, do not necessarily mean that these people have Mongolian admixture because a lot of these features are naturally present in their respective populations, but are mostly confined to the people of Celtic, Scandinavian, Baltic, Balkan and Slav descent. Hence in reality, the majority of these "Asian features in European people" is more to do with prehistoric European genetics rather than admixture with the Mongols, but in general is a combination of both.

Here is somebody's essay on Quora on Mongolian genetic influence: "Which European ethnic groups has the most Asian genes in their DNA from a modern perspective?" Furthermore, another good source is from people themselves: you can look up Eastern European people's results on the 23andme subreddit and see for yourself that sometimes people have slight admixture with East Asia which can specifically be broken down into a mix of 'Siberian' and 'Manchurian & Mongolian' - which is proof of their historical admixture.

As for the Nazi stuff, it is true that Hitler did not consider Slavic people as 'Aryans'. According to Nazi racial experts and classifications, the pure 'Aryans' were people of Nordic and Germanic descent, and people of Slavic, Balkan, Finnish, Romani and Jewish heritage were non-Aryan and considered subhuman. Regarding what they had to say of Slavs specifically, here is a quote from the same Wikipedia article:

"The Nazis thought Eastern Europe, namely the areas speaking Slavic languages, to be racially the lowest part of Europe, and very distinct from the rest of Europe. Pseudoscientist and Nazi eugenicist Hans Günther stated: "The east of Europe shows a gradual transition of the racial mixtures of Central Europe into predominantly East Baltic and Inner Asiatic regions... Owing to the likeness between East Baltic and Inner Asiatic bodily characters it will often be hard to fix a sharp boundary between these two races." Russia was thought to be 25% Nordic, other regions less. Jews, Roma and Slavs (including Poles, Serbs and Russians) were not considered Aryans by Nazi Germany but as subhuman, inferior races. A definition of Aryan that included all non-Jewish Europeans was deemed unacceptable by Nazis, and Expert Advisor for Population and Racial Policy included a definition defining Aryan as someone who is "tribally" related to "German blood". Within the subhuman hierarchy, Slavs were generally classified slightly above the Romani and finally the Jews. Nazi ideology taught the German youth during school to understand the differences between the Nordic German "Übermenschen" and "ignoble" Jewish and Slavic "subhumans".

Hans Günther, on whom Hitler based much of his ideology, wrote extensively about the supposed racial origins of the Poles and other West Slavs. Originally, the West Slavs were supposed to be Nordic, but were diluted by mixture with inferior races starting in the 12th century. The dominant type among Poles in the modern day then became the East Baltic race. However, some Poles were considered to have enough Nordic admixture to be assimilated, supposedly being descended from the Nordic ruling class of the old West Slavs. Others, especially in the southern regions of the country, had a strong amount of "Inner Asiatic" racial ancestry, and as East Baltic/Inner Asiatic mixes were the most inferior. Of the Poles and predominantly East Baltic people in general, Günther said that they were mentally slow and incapable of long term planning, which influenced Nazi perception of the Poles."

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted

OT but i love how a thread about girls pretending to be russian turned into an all out history/ethnography discussion

you learn something new every day :alpacacrush:

Posted

I always knew about people out there who kind of fetishized and over exaggerated Russian culture/people but damn some of these are just gross.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't like that at one point, but the difference is, I am actually part Russian :happee: But anyone out there who really thinks Russian politics are superior and that it's truly a great country... it's not. There is some beautiful Russian media and culture out there that's shoved under the rug so hard by these people they just meme the hell out of the same 4 stereotypes and then really think "Oh yeah this is totally Russian" at least weeaboos and koreaboos have some grasp on the media of Japanese and Korean cultures, they aren't much better than Slavaboos but judging from what I'm reading on this forum these people (for the most part) are just annoying edgy memers

Posted (edited)

I feel like people or especially teens want to stick out and be something that is seen as different even if its negative so they look at different cultures 

edit: it was written twice? 

Edited by melty

Posted

I think it really depends on a country

in some slav countries people with brown hair and dark eyes are the majority , but there are also slav countries where blonde hair and blue eyes are features of the majority

Posted

There are slavic youtube channels with mainly non-slavic audiences, most of which are slavaboos. Life of Boris' audience is mainly slavaboo 12 year olds who make jokes of slavic culture and just care about "hehehe communism soviet union tracksuit adidas im so russian" and go around squatting. It's a bit cringy but I guess i'll give it a pass since it's just kids playing, what do you guys think?