• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

People pretending to be Slavic/Eastern European Thread

95 posts in this topic

Posted

yall smh get your facts STRAIGHT... russians are the only slavs, the rest of us are an ethnic group thats yet to be named ;)

Posted

Slavs come in all shapes and forms, from blonde to dark, from having asian, middle eastern features or northern european features and fair to olive, tanned skin.. like it's usually very hard to point out an ethnic slavic person just based on their appearance. However, what these people do, is that they fetishize a stereotype of how an eastern european person is supposed to look like (just like kooreaboos/weeaboos are obsessed with east asian features) while they fail to also acknowledge the fact that the fewest of slavs (hell, fewest of europeans) look and act like that.

I find it hard to be offended by these "slavaboos" because they are absolute hilarious to watch, like, faking that they are eastern european? Who would have thought. I also find their behaviour to be similar to americans who cling on to the very little heritage of western european ethinicity/culture they apparently have and make it a part of their personality even though they don't know shit about european culture and can't speak any other language but english. 

What I do find kind of offensive however, is that people don't know that the topic of nationality and ethnicity is ten times more complex in europe than it is in northern america, and the fact that other slavic nations aren't regarded as typical slavic by these people is actually a bit offensive. 

I agree completely. Although I don’t find any of this “offensive” per say, because it’s not like Russian-Americans are negatively affected by these internet racefakers (ethnicityfakers? lol) the same way Asian-Ams are, it’s definitely cringey and vomit-inducing to see them reduce Russian/Ukranian culture to nothing but blonde hair, ushankas, and Slav squats. I can’t remember which thread it was, but I remember a couple years back one of these Russian-wannabe ig models answered a question asking where she’s from, and she said “RSSR” which I thought was hilarious. These people are so desperate to seem like something they’re not, that they will just spout out the most stereotypically Slavic things they can think of, even if they’re not true. 

Posted

I agree completely. Although I don’t find any of this “offensive” per say, because it’s not like Russian-Americans are negatively affected by these internet racefakers (ethnicityfakers? lol) the same way Asian-Ams are, it’s definitely cringey and vomit-inducing to see them reduce Russian/Ukranian culture to nothing but blonde hair, ushankas, and Slav squats. I can’t remember which thread it was, but I remember a couple years back one of these Russian-wannabe ig models answered a question asking where she’s from, and she said “RSSR” which I thought was hilarious. These people are so desperate to seem like something they’re not, that they will just spout out the most stereotypically Slavic things they can think of, even if they’re not true. 

"RSSR".. omg  xD and yeah, exactly, we're not as negatively affected by their absolutely cringe behaviour in the same way as asians are. 

i'm still shook that this is actually a thing though... pretending you're russian/eastern eu.. like, what ? and why ?

i really want to know the reason behind this weird fascination

Posted (edited)

i was born in russia (but have mostly jew/french roots) and this fuckin pisses me off. i mean, the only thing that gamer-bois and oh sadlilbbydoll pale russian big boobed angel (just like yungelita, lmao) care about is a) learning polish to write cyka blyat in game chats (and don't even know that it's a russian thing and it's more correct to say smth like suka blyat or сука блять) and b) pretending to be frail and broken (cus ya know druzhochek that russian remote town aesthetic fits that perfectly). ask them shit like who baba yaga or nikita khrushchev is and they will look at you like you just lighted a candle in vacuum. 

and idk thinking that that there is only poland/russia/ukraine in eastern europe is a peak of stupidity. seriously.

Edited by lonedolls
added smth

Posted (edited)

I wish I screenshot it (it has been deleted) but this girl I know who is American wrote a poem about how "Eastern" women are oppressed and how people always want to fuck her and fetishize her when where I live most people are European LMAO. My main issue w it is that she claims east asians and eastern Europeans have the same level of fetishization when as a mix of the two I think it's obvious Asian women are the ones dealing with it. She also claims to be "learning" Russian but as a Russian I can confirm she doesnt know shit (obvs that isn't enough to post her).

Basically my main issue with fake Russians is that if you look white (some of us look Asian or "middle eastern" but most of us look p white) it's pretty easy to claim Russian heritage and these people ALWAYS make us Russians look ridiculous :/. As if politics dont make us look bad enough we have people trying to "get oppression points" even though a real Russian wouldn't say those things.

Edited by Bekkim
Typos

Posted (edited)

Edited by PineappleVera

Posted (edited)

I will never understand why some people feel the need to lie and tell they are from X Country just because of aesthetic/obsession. Fortune cookie wisdom: You can appreciate a country even if you are not from there. Every country has its own fascinating aspects, and it is totally fine to wish to learn and study other languages and traditions. Faking your ethnicity and basing your "knowledge" of a certain country on memes and idiotic stereotypes (or anime/manga/idols for koreaboos and weaboos) is beyond meaningless.

Edited by Banshee717
How many H go in "aesthetic"? 1? 2? 44?

Posted

honestly as a half russian myself, i literally can not understand why someone would want to pretend to be russian or any other slavic nationality/ethnicity???? sure the culture is fun and all, but with being russian also comes a lot of negative sides. 

priviliged white kids want to be oppressed so badly that they grab any little piece of ground to stand on that gives them at least some ”exotic” and pity points, i.e. this whole slavboo, koreaboo, weaboo thing 

Posted (edited)

People that place Eastern Europeans on a pedestal for looking "pure" "pale" and attractive are really concerning because it just screams Nazi to me. Personally I am from Russia and literally most people there are mixed in some way, for example my family is Asian. On forums I have read from others that *insert country* women are all petite and meek and submissive :alpacamad:. Its not racism or anything so please dont take it out of context. It just grosses me out how people will wear other cultures as a costume and how others will specifically look out for cultures to date based on (from their perspective) how easy they are to control.

Edited by Bekkim
Made it more relevent

Posted

People that place Eastern Europeans on a pedestal for looking "pure" "pale" and attractive are really concerning because it just screams Nazi to me. Personally I am from Russia and literally most people there are mixed in some way, for example my family is Asian. On forums I have read from others that *insert country* women are all petite and meek and submissive :alpacamad:. Its not racism or anything so please dont take it out of context. It just grosses me out how people will wear other cultures as a costume and how others will specifically look out for cultures to date based on (from their perspective) how easy they are to control.

именно! и тоже всегда "забавляло", что все считают русских/"славянок" белыми хрупкими блондинками, хотя на деле у большинства есть азиатские/ближневосточные/афро/ещё какие-нибудь примеси и под описание выше они ВООБЩЕ не подходят. 

(idk how to put it under spoiler from mobile ver, sorry guys.)

Posted

I'm a russian-american and this is the first time I've ever heard of the term slavboo before lol

There's a lot of negative opinions about Russia in America and even russian immigrants have really poor views about Russia. 

I don't understand why anyone would fetishize and lie about being russian to seem "cool"??? Like you would deal with guaranteed xenophobia from ignorant americans who think Putin represents ALL russian people's values/beliefs, just like how Trump represents ALL american people's values/beliefs, clearly.  

Posted

wait is this an actual thing? I know people who have a fetish for eastern European women (including one of my profs lol) but I didn't realize it went this far.

I guess everything goes these days.  Those people should just go and live for more than a few months in any eastern european country and see that things are not all rainbows and sunshine, I would really want to see what they think afterwards.  

Posted

What the hell? I am a second generation Russian living in London and I really don't understand why somebody would want to pretend to be Russian. Almost every single Russian kid that I know has been bullied or called names in one way or another just for being Russian. I myself have had similar experiences. Most of my classmates and some of my friends didn't even consider me "British" and I was called a foreigner and constantly asked dumb questions (such as "do your parents drink vodka every day"). I even had a maths teacher in year 10 force me to say "vodka" in a thick Russian accent when I didn't want to do it. I also had a friend who would make uncomfortable Putin/Russia jokes even though I told her to stop. In my sixth form, there is a running joke in our year group that I'm a Russian spy and it gets brought up almost every day. Most these people aren't trying to be mean and can't even understand it's kinda offensive. But because of this, I have no choice but to live with these comments for my whole life probably. Apart from that I have had once a guy pick up something I dropped and it had my surname on it, he picked it up and said, "that's a Russian name, I hate Russians." But probably the worst experience I have had is when my year 8  form tutor said to my whole form that "all Russians are spies and I'm so scared of them. Don't trust them." while staring right into my eyes. Loads of people also think we're tourists but that's not that bad tbh. I understand that this is nowhere near the shit some other people get for their ethnicity and I doubt I can even call it racism because nobody would accept it as that. But I do feel like there is a slight double standard, you can't say these sort of things to other races, ethnicities or groups. 

Sorry that this has been a bit OT and ranty but I can't understand, because of my experiences, why anyone would want to fake being Russian. Like as a kid I used to lie and say I was 100% English even though I have no English blood. And the political situation is also horrible. I haven't been to Russia for 11 years (might go this summer though) because my parents don't like the situation that's going on. The current situation honestly just makes me embarrassed of saying that I am Russian and I hate the fact that some people are idolising and romanticising it. It's horrible this.

Posted (edited)

Don’t think she was mentioned since I quickly skimmed this thread but yungelita was a huge perpetrator of pretending to be Russian. I’m saying this as someone who is half Kalmyk lol but it’s obvious she did it to add ~mystique~ to her “online persona” as well as to sexualize  herself since unfortunately a lot of people have this idea that russian and Slavic women all look like blonde supermodels. She refers to herself as “Elita Harkov” when her name is Emma Harvey and she’s just an Anglo Saxon Canadian woman lmao and at least to me, in some of her pics it looked like she was trying to pass off canada’s winter surroundings as Russia. She’s not nearly as much of a snowflake now but was problematic as hell a while ago, however is still presenting her name as elita harkov

Idk if anyone’s outright Slavic catfishing but I noticed a lot of the “SoundCloud goths” and streetstyle hypebeasts (especially the vetements/gosha rubchinskiy stans) tend to glamorize that fantasy of paleness and blondeness as an aesthetic.

Edited by Dream Girl
sp