People pretending to be Slavic/Eastern European Thread

49 posts in this topic

Posted

yall smh get your facts STRAIGHT... russians are the only slavs, the rest of us are an ethnic group thats yet to be named ;)

Posted

Slavs come in all shapes and forms, from blonde to dark, from having asian, middle eastern features or northern european features and fair to olive, tanned skin.. like it's usually very hard to point out an ethnic slavic person just based on their appearance. However, what these people do, is that they fetishize a stereotype of how an eastern european person is supposed to look like (just like kooreaboos/weeaboos are obsessed with east asian features) while they fail to also acknowledge the fact that the fewest of slavs (hell, fewest of europeans) look and act like that.

I find it hard to be offended by these "slavaboos" because they are absolute hilarious to watch, like, faking that they are eastern european? Who would have thought. I also find their behaviour to be similar to americans who cling on to the very little heritage of western european ethinicity/culture they apparently have and make it a part of their personality even though they don't know shit about european culture and can't speak any other language but english. 

What I do find kind of offensive however, is that people don't know that the topic of nationality and ethnicity is ten times more complex in europe than it is in northern america, and the fact that other slavic nations aren't regarded as typical slavic by these people is actually a bit offensive. 

Posted

Slavs come in all shapes and forms, from blonde to dark, from having asian, middle eastern features or northern european features and fair to olive, tanned skin.. like it's usually very hard to point out an ethnic slavic person just based on their appearance. However, what these people do, is that they fetishize a stereotype of how an eastern european person is supposed to look like (just like kooreaboos/weeaboos are obsessed with east asian features) while they fail to also acknowledge the fact that the fewest of slavs (hell, fewest of europeans) look and act like that.

I find it hard to be offended by these "slavaboos" because they are absolute hilarious to watch, like, faking that they are eastern european? Who would have thought. I also find their behaviour to be similar to americans who cling on to the very little heritage of western european ethinicity/culture they apparently have and make it a part of their personality even though they don't know shit about european culture and can't speak any other language but english. 

What I do find kind of offensive however, is that people don't know that the topic of nationality and ethnicity is ten times more complex in europe than it is in northern america, and the fact that other slavic nations aren't regarded as typical slavic by these people is actually a bit offensive. 

I agree completely. Although I don’t find any of this “offensive” per say, because it’s not like Russian-Americans are negatively affected by these internet racefakers (ethnicityfakers? lol) the same way Asian-Ams are, it’s definitely cringey and vomit-inducing to see them reduce Russian/Ukranian culture to nothing but blonde hair, ushankas, and Slav squats. I can’t remember which thread it was, but I remember a couple years back one of these Russian-wannabe ig models answered a question asking where she’s from, and she said “RSSR” which I thought was hilarious. These people are so desperate to seem like something they’re not, that they will just spout out the most stereotypically Slavic things they can think of, even if they’re not true. 

Posted

I agree completely. Although I don’t find any of this “offensive” per say, because it’s not like Russian-Americans are negatively affected by these internet racefakers (ethnicityfakers? lol) the same way Asian-Ams are, it’s definitely cringey and vomit-inducing to see them reduce Russian/Ukranian culture to nothing but blonde hair, ushankas, and Slav squats. I can’t remember which thread it was, but I remember a couple years back one of these Russian-wannabe ig models answered a question asking where she’s from, and she said “RSSR” which I thought was hilarious. These people are so desperate to seem like something they’re not, that they will just spout out the most stereotypically Slavic things they can think of, even if they’re not true. 

"RSSR".. omg  xD and yeah, exactly, we're not as negatively affected by their absolutely cringe behaviour in the same way as asians are. 

i'm still shook that this is actually a thing though... pretending you're russian/eastern eu.. like, what ? and why ?

i really want to know the reason behind this weird fascination