• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

People pretending to be Slavic/Eastern European Thread

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Thanks for making this thread! As an American who is mostly ethnically Slavic (Ukrainian and Polish) I have never heard about these kinds of people until seeing them being mentioned somewhere else on this site. From what I've noticed, race is the only feature that matters to people for diversity or identity. Most people in America reduce people to just their race and nothing more. Or rather, the only thing discussed when talking about people's different backgrounds is race. Especially among people who are of European ancestry/ethnicity, they're never talked about as being more than just White. It could be because some people just don't know about their own ancestry, but society here isn't really interested in European cultures, at least from my perspective here in the US. If ethnicity is brought up more specifically aside from race, it's really only discussed among people who aren't White/European for some reason. So maybe these wannabe-Slavic kids want to just pass as being something more specific than "just White"? Although it wouldn't be hard to take a DNA test (23 and Me I think they're called?) to figure out where you ethnically originated from. But maybe for them they feel like they can just pick and choose whatever European ethnicity they want "cuz White people are all the same" right? *heavy sarcasm, just quoting what many people seem to believe in the US* Or maybe these Slavaboos are just obsessed with changing their ethnicity because they're dissatisfied with being themselves, like many Koreaboos and Weaboos probably are.

(btw I use the term nationality to refer to country of citizenship, ethnicity to refer to where a person's heritage/culture traces back to by nation, and race to refer to the broad categorizations used to put people into groups based on general physical appearance and continents. all related, but still different)

Edited by disappointedwitch

Posted (edited)

Thanks for making this thread! As an American who is mostly ethnically Slavic (Ukrainian and Polish) I have never heard about these kinds of people until seeing them being mentioned somewhere else on this site. From what I've noticed, race is the only feature that matters to people for diversity or identity. Most people in America reduce people to just their race and nothing more. Or rather, the only thing discussed when talking about people's different backgrounds is race. Especially among people who are of European ancestry/ethnicity, they're never talked about as being more than just White. It could be because some people just don't know about their own ancestry, but society here isn't really interested in European cultures, at least from my perspective here in the US. If ethnicity is brought up more specifically aside from race, it's really only discussed among people who aren't White/European for some reason. So maybe these wannabe-Slavic kids want to just pass as being something more specific than "just White"? Although it wouldn't be hard to take a DNA test (23 and Me I think they're called?) to figure out where you ethnically originated from. But maybe for them they feel like they can just pick and choose whatever European ethnicity they want "cuz White people are all the same" right? *heavy sarcasm, just quoting what many people seem to believe in the US* Or maybe these Slavaboos are just obsessed with changing their ethnicity because they're dissatisfied with being themselves, like many Koreaboos and Weaboos probably are.

(btw I use the term nationality to refer to country of citizenship, ethnicity to refer to where a person's heritage/culture traces back to by nation, and race to refer to the broad categorizations used to put people into groups based on general physical appearance and continents. all related, but still different)

I find that the usa and americans are very interested in european cultures, but the interest is extremely limited to only a few countries like, England, France, Italy.

this also goes for asia btw. Its always Japan , South Korea or China. I never hear anyone about mongolia, Sri Lanka, Cambodia or Malaysia.

also a big portion of white americans are distanced from their roots because they do not have recent immigrant relatives from Europe. Their family has resided for hundreds of years in the us already.

Edited by Kiko

Posted

I’ve noticed that a lot of gun fanatics and military history fanatics on YouTube and Tumblr will either pretend to be Russian or take on a Russian “persona”. It’s honestly so cringy. It’s always AK-47s, gas masks, USSR flags, and trench coats.  

Posted

Does this count towards self loathing Asian girls like lilymaymac or camilakilla that lie about being part European even though in reality they have little to no trace of it?

Posted

Omg, I know someone like this! They're obsessed with Poland and Ukraine. In fact, they're jealous that my husband, who's German/Sicillian, is a tiny bit Polish. 

Posted (edited)

I find that the usa and americans are very interested in european cultures, but the interest is extremely limited to only a few countries like, England, France, Italy.

this also goes for asia btw. Its always Japan , South Korea or China. I never hear anyone about mongolia, Sri Lanka, Cambodia or Malaysia.

also a big portion of white americans are distanced from their roots because they do not have recent immigrant relatives from Europe. Their family has resided for hundreds of years in the us already.

Yeah true the ones that people are interested in are usually the more well known countries which usually take the spot light in either continent. And since Eastern European countries are rarely focused on here, I was surprised to hear about this group of people with a sudden extreme interest in them.

I agree, but there's still many who do know about their heritage but don't seem to want to be proud of it because there's a lot of people who think it equates to white nationalism or something stupid like that (which it doesn't). In the minds of SJWs, and just people in general I went to college with, it's apparently great to be proud of your heritage except if you're white, in which case you probably shouldn't be. Which is another reason I was surprised to hear about Slavaboos who are pretending to be Slavic, like what you actually are interested in European people?? (interested is obviously an understatement if they're faking their ethnicity, but that was my initial reaction)

Edited by disappointedwitch

Posted

This reminds me of that Icy girl who wanted to make people believe that she is pure white-haired, blue-eyes, pale as possible and of Russian blood.... and even used broken Google translate Russian.

When in reality, she's just race-faking South Italian girl who obviously ain't deadly pale nor white haired  lol

Posted (edited)

This reminds me of that Icy girl who wanted to make people believe that she is pure white-haired, blue-eyes, pale as possible and of Russian blood.... and even used broken Google translate Russian.

When in reality, she's just race-faking South Italian girl who obviously ain't deadly pale nor white haired  lol

Are you talking about Icy_Tenshi? Lmao that girl is such a mess. She’s a weeaboo, koreaboo, and a slavaboo. 

Examples of Icy’s posts for those who aren’t familiar with her! Also her PULL thread can be found HERE!

AFC3C9A6-58FD-437F-A059-8683E28777F3.thu7406F44D-DED8-4C73-89F6-35E0DC771DF7.thu9DA079DE-7CD9-444D-B274-94D0AB3EA27C.thu

Edited by SadBlythe

Posted

Whoa, okey, this is definitely an intresting thread

I'm Polish and I'm so done with people like this. First of all, a lot of them seem to think there are no more than 3 countries in east europe, which is so wrong to begin with. Just from the way they are portraying themselves as "typical slav men/women" you can tell they've never been to any of those countries. "Blonde godness with big boobs" and "buff guy in a tracksuit" stereotypes couldn't be further from truth. There are as many dark haired people here as light and most men wear normal clothes and don't cuss all the time. We have our worst, we have our best like any other country in the world and certainly looks aren't the most intresting thing we can offer. 

Ask those slavaboos about legends in any of east european country and they won't even be able to say a single word. It's sad that even tho they are "intrested" in slavic culture they don't now shit about it. We have so much to offer and they only see stereotypes. 

Posted

Their perception of reality in general is disillusioned because if it wasn't they wouldn't be literally calling themselves Slav which literally means Serbian,Croatian,Polish,Ukrainian,Slovenian,Belarussian,Czech,Bulgarian people and not only just Russian. The reason why they also make themselves look that way is because they think slavic people only look like a certain way.

can we please acknowledge the fact that Slovakia is also a country? don't wanna sound butthurt but nobody seems to remember that Slovakia exists too lol

Posted

this thread is so intriguing to me, but in a funny way. it's just too out of my reality, i would never think of it as an actual thing. im brazilian, and having german/italian heritage is what's "cooler", if you would (we also didnt have that many immigrants from east europe throughout our history so there's that) but id like to join the discussion regardless , if y'all don't mind! it's just really interesting. 

from my perspective, it seems that the general countries from europe that ppl used to be obsessed with (like tumblr, with uk and france) are heavily oversaturated. there's nothing unique about claiming the stereotypes of these places. east asia is still on trend (even though it's been around for decades), but even that has become "too much". a weeaboo/koreaboo is just another one in a sea of them nowadays. same thing with the most popular european countries. this "slavboo" thing seems very recent, so it might be what people will be jumping on in the near future. i hate this word with a passion, but exotic is what describes it best. it is what it is. the alphabet, the diluted version of folklore, the stereotypes in general, it's "weird" but fascinates people somehow. they're drawn towards it, especially when everybody looks the same and hypes die as sudden as how they came. maybe slavboos will become a real thing in the future, and after them there might be brazilboos lmao who knows. in the end, it seems to be a thing of our generation. to always stand out no matter what, to be original, with a refreshing aesthetic. 

isee y'all giving examples of it happening in many countries but i think if there's one to maybe blame, it's the us culture. correct me if im wrong (really!) but there are so many countries heavily influenced by culture, traditions, religions, folklore etc and they don't really seem to have this identity issue? at least, not in the same level. the mentality of mass consumption isnt as predominant. rather, theres something there that gives ppl the sense of community, of belonging to something that's been there for centuries, do you guys get it? it's filling. the newest generations, who grew up in the era of internet and were heavily influenced by america, don't really learn how to value it, aren't aware of its importance. they mostly have social media to shape their personality and interests. here in brazil we have both examples, cause the country is so huge. using me as an example, my local culture was a huge reference as i grew up (im 19), but my brother (who's 11) didn't have the same experience as me and it shows. it's as if there's this hole and they're desperate to fill it somehow with what's currently viewed as most valuable, treasured. like those slavboos.

culture teaches you the value of preserving things. there aren't trends, just traditions. you learn that you are part of something. you tend not to think only of yourself, but your community.  it's such an important thing and it pains me how people underestimate it, especially cause it doesn't fit into the "fast-blank" mentality we have. it takes many generations and, with that, patience and dedication. we are used to the notion that, if it isn't right at our fingertips, it's a waste of time, and it's so sad.

it became so long, im so sorry! as i said, i loved this thread, it made me think about so many things. im really passionate about these sociological discussions lol. i hope i didn't derail the thread! and please let me know if i said something wrong. 

(Ill come back to it later and proofread i promise lol now im really leaving bye)

Posted (edited)

/

Edited by PineappleVera

Posted (edited)

there's so many of them on tumblr and they usually run those "goth but not really goth" blog (you know, the one where they reblog a bunch of pics/gifs of blood/soft gore, guns, lil peep and graveyard at night time with glittery myspace font and sometimes even the tcc community, idk how to really explain it i hope that make sense). i dont know why but a lot of them are usually canadian or greek, i've never met any who are american.

Edited by serotonin deficiency

Posted

can I bug in and say that Czechia, Slovakia and Poland are CENTRAL Europe. ^_^ I don't think anyone mentioned/say anything against it yet... take it like the Fun Fact for the evening :D /central Europe is a geopolitical term and we use it because (at least in Czechia and for me) we don't really fit with neither west or east/

Posted

i'm eastern european and it is so weird to me when girls try to evoke a slavic aesthetic by being blonde, blue eyed, and pale. nobody in my family looks like that... we're all olive skinned with dark hair and eyes. i'm considered unusual bc my eyes are merely hazel when my mom and all her sisters' are very brown. like i've never seen a slavic person from any nationality that was like that except maybe like five hot russian models? and who knows what is natural with them lol