• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

People pretending to be Slavic/Eastern European Thread

102 posts in this topic

Posted

*whispers* lilymaymac

Posted

Does anyone have any examples (like on Instagram) of American slavaboos?

I’m American and I come across plenty of weeaboos and koreaboos, but never anyone fetishizing Slavic/Eastern European people. I am from an area that has a lot of people of Polish decent, so maybe it’s not considered as exotic? A lot of Americans consider people from Eastern European countries as being “Euro-Trash” (which is a mean stereotype!) so I have a hard time picturing many Americans wanting to be Slovenian, Russian, Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, Serbian, etc. 

Or maybe I’m just out of touch with young people? The only person I can think of that is a slavaboo is Yungelita, but she’s Canadian. 

Edit: wait is this an Instagram goth thing? 

I think there are one or two girls in the Online Personalities section that pretended to be Russian.  And it's really only Russia that they fetishize, they don't care about the other countries. And specifically it's the allure of Russian models that they festishize, not Russian culture itself. (and!! unlike weebs and kboos they don't consume any Russian entertainment)

As for the male ones, it's the fact that Russian youtubers they like (life of boris, nfkrs, crazyrussianhacker) play up stereotypes so they pretend to be Russian online to be funny. Some of them pretend to be Serbians so they can be islamophobic in youtube comment sections.

Generally, you're right. The American view on Eastern-Euros is negative but a very small amount of teenagers actually try emulate them (or what they think a Russian is)

Posted

just saw a slavaboo on insta and i am cringing so badly (cant post their account due to privacy reasons) it was so cringy oh my lord,he was using streotypical russian broken english in his captions,also lets not forget constantly mentioning 'cyka blyat',and taking pictures in the snow shirtless while squatting and holding vodka.   

:rageplz:

Posted

I've seen people like this IRL, I live in London and meet a lot of different people.

Russiaboos are mostly guys, they tend to look like the basic man bun + beard hipster + wear track suits, Adidas trainers and be really into Cyrillic graphic text street fashion and follow this whole nuclear/fallout related aesthetic, think Chernobyl, gas mask or train tracks lol

They claim to love chess, vodka and want to travel the Trans-Siberian railway. I have never asked them about their political leanings but they LOVE to tell me how they read Tolstoy like all the damn time. 

Romaniaboos are either 1) vampire aesthetic with berry/blood lipstick, dark, muted colour clothes. Pail princesses. 2) Roma/bohemian/gypsy aesthetic etc etc 

Never met other types of Slavboos. 

Posted (edited)

As a Polish slav I can definitely say all these memes revolve 99% around Russia, not the rest of slavic countries. Cyrillic alphabet, Russian phrases and gopnik streetwear. So dunno if "slavaboo" is even an accurate term, not to mention Russian people themselves don't represent these memes as a whole nation... obviously. Judging from previous comments, I'm not the only confused person lol.

As for IG models pretending to be Eastern-European (like Dasha and Sasha V), maybe they're imitating particular models while shooping/decing on plastic surgeries? Cuz I wouldn't call their features normal for any slavic population (or normal at all, not in a good way).

OT but it saddens me to hear about "Euro-trash", don't Americans realize it's just as hurtful as N* word. :alpacadone:

@Bubbletea I don't mind the downvote but would appreciate to hear why you disapproved of my comment, just curious ;)

Edited by Cry-lo Ren

Posted

As a Polish slav I can definitely say all these memes revolve 99% around Russia, not the rest of slavic countries. Cyrillic alphabet, Russian phrases and gopnik streetwear. So dunno if "slavaboo" is even an accurate term, not to mention Russian people themselves don't represent these memes as a whole nation... obviously. Judging from previous comments, I'm not the only confused person lol.

As for IG models pretending to be Eastern-European (like Dasha and Sasha V), maybe they're imitating particular models while shooping/decing on plastic surgeries? Cuz I wouldn't call their features normal for any slavic population (or normal at all, not in a good way).

the problem here is not if they are imitating some model,meme,stereotype or not the problem is here when they start claiming they are russian and THESE PEOPLE HAVE LIED AND PRETENDED TO BE RUSSIAN/SLAVIC.

Please stop making excuses for these people,this behavior is disgusting. Would you make a excuse for weaboos saying maybe they're just imitating anime characters or say that koreaboos are just imitating kpop idols? no you wouldn't so why make excuses for these people.

Their perception of reality in general is disillusioned because if it wasn't they wouldn't be literally calling themselves Slav which literally means Serbian,Croatian,Polish,Ukrainian,Slovenian,Belarussian,Czech,Bulgarian people and not only just Russian. The reason why they also make themselves look that way is because they think slavic people only look like a certain way.

So slavaboo is basically a person who pretends to be russian and stereotypes the living shyte out of russia and russian people and also calls themselves a slav while disregarding all other slavs who arent russian.

Posted

Lol where did I make excuses for them? Please kindly don't twist my words.

All I said was:

1) they mainly portray stereotypical "Russian" features

2) therefore calling this phenomenon "slavaboo" is innacurate.

Weaboo - specific to fanatics of Japan.

Koreaboo - specific to fanatics of Korea.

So calling a Russia-mania "slavaboo" doesn't seem right to me, it's a too broad term. 

It's all either about acting like edgy gopniks or presenting themselves as exotic cousins of Natalia Vodyanova.

They don't look like normal slavic girls, they don't look like our ideal types. So why "slavaboo", it's all I'm asking and I'm open for discussion - be it here (if not offtopic) or on PM :)

Posted

@Cry-lo Ren I downvoted because euro-trash, as hurtful as it may feel to hear, is not comparable with the N-slur, but I didn't have anything else on topic to say so I didn't reply.

Posted (edited)

There seems to be a trend about identifying yourself as Slavic... Slavic girls also have the reputation of being beautiful, so I don't know. I'm Russian myself, I guess it's "dooooope dude". Lots of memes are related to Russian culture too so maybe people feel entitled using them by the justification they are related to the culture ?

Edited by KyoUng

Posted (edited)

Edited by PineappleVera

Posted (edited)

So calling a Russia-mania "slavaboo" doesn't seem right to me, it's a too broad term. 

It's all either about acting like edgy gopniks or presenting themselves as exotic cousins of Natalia Vodyanova.

They don't look like normal slavic girls, they don't look like our ideal types. So why "slavaboo", it's all I'm asking and I'm open for discussion - be it here (if not offtopic) or on PM :)

THEY'RE  CALLED SLAVABOO INSTEAD OF RUSSIANBOO BECAUSE THEY LITERALLY CALL THEMSELVES ''SLAV AND MOST TIMES THEY  CONFUSE OTHER SLAVIC LANGUAGES OR PEOPLE WITH RUSSIAN, FOR EXAMPLE SOMEONE WHO WAS SPEAKING POLISH AND SOME PEOPLE STARTED SAYING ''CYKA BLYAT' OR 'IS HE RUSSIAN'

do you get it now?

Edited by hfeuwh146

Posted

oh man it's really hard for me to understand why some people are suddendly so obsessed with the slav (mostly russian) aesthetic like the pewdiepie merch and generally the term cyka blyat WHICH I DON'T GET SINCE IT'S LIKE HALF CYRILLIC AND HALF ROMANIZED??

i'm from an eastern european country as well but since we're not slavic by ancestry some slavs (again, mostly russians) are not seen in a very good light here

but i have to admit that it's cool that life of boris is so popular since he lives or at least used to live in my country :D

Posted

i'd rather not say where i'm from but, like, in almost every american movie, if the bad guy ain't russian, it's my nationality lmfao. so it's kinda weird to see someone wanting to be a slav in general, mostly cause there's a lot of people in america that have a negative view of us overall...

oh man it's really hard for me to understand why some people are suddendly so obsessed with the slav (mostly russian) aesthetic like the pewdiepie merch and generally the term cyka blyat WHICH I DON'T GET SINCE IT'S LIKE HALF CYRILLIC AND HALF ROMANIZED??

i'm from an eastern european country as well but since we're not slavic by ancestry some slavs (again, mostly russians) are not seen in a very good light here

but i have to admit that it's cool that life of boris is so popular since he lives or at least used to live in my country :D

THIS HAS ALWAYS BOTHERED ME SO MUCH LIKE, wouldn't it be suka blyat or completely in cyrillic like, this is just...eh...you can at least get it right, jeez....

Posted

NO COMMENT  :beardo:

Posted (edited)

Edited by PineappleVera