• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Motivation for school/studying

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I have had problems with motivation and will to study for my exams and school in general for a while and thought it would be nice if we could give eachother tips on how to focus more or just someone to kick may ass so I can stop procrastinating so much :alpacadone:

Anyone have the same problem?

If you do, how do you overcome lack of motivation?

Any tips on how to be more disciplined?

Posted

I have the same problem :( I really want to study more, stay focused, because well, I have many goals that I want to reach.

But it's sooo hard. But if I really want to study, here are the things I personally do :

-I don't study at home, I'm going it at my uni's library;
-When I do study, either I put my phone on "plane mode" or I turn on "Forest" -  really cute App in which you can grow a tree, but if you quit the app without it being fully grown, it dies. (You earn coins each time you plant a tree and with enough coins you can actually "plant a real tree", I find that great) + designs are nice and you can have some background music like falling rain or stuff like that

That's about all my "tips" haha, so... I would love some more too :alpacacrush:

I watched a video yesterday about waking up earlier (like 5 AM) to have more motivation during the day. Was interested in trying it but... will that help my studies? :alpacadone:

Posted (edited)

First of all... Turn your phone off. I'm telling you. Without phones we'd be a lot more productive. Turn it off when you are studying. You can have procrastination time and study time. Study time means no phones or social media. 

Instead of trying to study for hours in one go, look up this software called tomato timer. It has 25 minute countdowns followed by 5 minute breaks. It's a fantastic technique to do bursts of focused work which is a lot more effective than 2 hours of straight up study. (we know that doesn't happen) 

Go outside. Staying in your room all day isn't gonna help at all. A short 5 minute walk will clear your head and give your body a break. On that note, do something like pilates or yoga if you can. It's great for focus and relaxation. There are free apps, not sure if it's available worldwide but I use an app called downdog. 

Talk to your friends. You're probably all on the same boat. Study together if you can. 

The best tip I can give you, perhaps the hardest. Have a good routine. If you can get up at 5am that's great, more hours in the day. But not everyone is a morning person. Wake up at a good time (8/9am), eat at normal times, sleep at normal times. Don't get into a fucked up routine of constant all nighters. I'm speaking from experience. It will impact your whole life. 

Think about the pros and cons of not doing what you need to do. Sure, you can play this game. Or you could complete this assignment and watch everyone suffer as they try to meet this deadline. Worked wonders for me, I'm a sadist. 

Eat healthy. Your mind and body aren't gonna feel motivated to do anything if you're eating chocolate and instant noodles everyday. At least one big healthy meal a day and fruit/nut snacks will keep your mind going. 

When you're procrastinating, it's nobody else's job to kick your ass. No one cares that you're wasting your own time . In the end, you are the one who will suffer the consequences. You're disappointing yourself. Keep that in mind.

Motivation won't simply come to you. You have to start doing something to feel motivated. If we all just waited around until we felt like doing something we'd get nowhere. First you must DO, then your reward will be the motivation to keep doing.  

imagine: you wake up at 7am to do some revision, obviously you don't feel like doing that so early in the morning but you'll get your materials and start doing something anyway. An hour later, it's still early in the day! Wow, you've already done something instead of nothing, that's a new feeling. You'll keep going a little bit more and then you can reward yourself with a game

Keep track of your goals. Write down what you've achieved this week. Once you see progress, you'll feel motivated to keep doing it. By the way, apparently the way to form a new habit is to do something everyday for two weeks.

I've been through years of university. This is what helped. I hope it'll help you too. Just remember that to stay motivated, you have to put in the work. 

Edited by kiwi

Posted

Just sit down and start learning! Forget about the smartphone, about household chores, about a loved one, and that a new film has been released in the cinema. Do not postpone for tomorrow what you can do today, but sit down and do it.

Posted

It is hard to talk about motivation if you personally don't know what are you doing and do you really need it. I could only advise you to do statistics on what time you spend on different tasks and change something here. Spend less time on some useless thing and more on important. Sounds dead simple but this is how life goes on.

Posted

Now in quarantine, this is very important, I just sit at home and do not want to teach anything, but I can’t. In general, there is no desire, absolutelyAnd I don’t know what to do when studies begin again

Posted (edited)

Now in quarantine, this is very important, I just sit at home and do not want to teach anything, but I can’t. In general, there is no desire, absolutelyAnd I don’t know what to do when studies begin again

I also have no motivation, I just sit and rest, but I understand that I do not want to be kicked out of college. I ordered a service on the site https://edubirdie.com/creative-writing-service, for which we are now working, so as not to get bad ratings. The professional creative writing services undertook me and as a result I again begin to understand a bit, so I still find the strength to study

Edited by moonofyourlife

Posted

Any good podcasts to listen to while studying?

Posted

I agree with you, there is no motivation at all during quarantine.